I'm HOME!

Quoll

I'm home with the aged rellies and I dont think I have stopped smiling:wubclub:

Our flight over was fine - apart from the fact that Qantas didnt have a parking bay for the Dash8 which took us from Canberra to Sydney and we sat in the middle of Sydney airport for about quarter of an hour twiddling our thumbs waiting for a parking bay. Sydney airport departure lounge is crap at the moment - they only have a couple of shops open because they are doing renovations and it looks like WW3 up there. I remembered to go and get the tax back on my new camera though so that set me smiling.

Qantas was just fine despite all reports to the contrary, pleasant cabin crew, OK food, no space but what do you expect for 24 hours in cattle class. Nice range of movies and some good tv shows which kept me occupied for the short time I was awake. Singapore airport was monster! DH was delighted to find a short wave radio he had been coveting for years - not available in Aus and cost an arm and a leg online from a dubious source.

Flight to Frankfurt was uneventful except for the most amazing sight over the Himalayas - a MASSIVE cloud band the length of the range with cloud lightning constantly lighting up the inside of the clouds the whole way - any fireworks display is going to pale in comparison with that memory. Unfortunately it was one of those things you can never photograph.

Frankfurt airport was austerely German and we didnt actually get to see any duty free shops at all in the transit area we were in. BA flew us into Heathrow and we got some views of London as we came in on the flight path - between the clouds. By then I was on cloud 9 and the fact that my backpack became lost somewhere en route didnt dampen my joy either (they were supposed to have delivered it last night but it still isnt here and I am beginning to show the signs of being in the same clothes for FAR too long - off to buy t shirts and shorts this morning courtesy of the airlines!!!) at least I only had my small backpack to lug across to Liverpool St and the ride home to Cambridge.

You dont know what you've got until you havent got it any more but the green green of the grass/trees/hedgerows was positively blinding and my smile got bigger and bigger as we went through the Essex countryside and into Cambs - the canal boats with flower boxes, the gambolling sheep with white wool and black faces, the fields of hay newly mown and the ripening rye, the buddleia and rose bay willow herb. Walking down the street to my parents' place with gardens awash with the colour of perennials, roses fuchsias etc etc.

Must say too that London was just fine - I saw someone give up their seat to an older lady (no, not me!) the ticket lady was not only helpful but friendly with it (as was the lost luggage lady!) The train stations were quite clean - no rubbish blowing around and you could get a coffee or a very nice looking baguette in any one of a dozen places (cappucino still has a way to go though, may try latte tomorrow).

Then I took mum to Waitrose:jiggy: OMG the CHOICE!!!!!!!!!! If I hadnt had mum I would have taken hours just looking at what was available! The only thing I could see that didnt have the variety that I am used to was tuna - a very limited range but who gives a toss about tuna when there is so much other lovely stuff. The fruit and veg were top class - I dont know that it is any better in Aus really and certainly not the range I saw yesterday. I see the UK still has the plastic fetish that Aus has too and the lady on the check out gave me the lecture (my eco bag is in my back pack, lady!!!). It was great to be able to have a coffee (OK so that wasnt so great) and cake with mum in mid shop!

I couldnt believe it was still light when I went to bed at 9 and it is light now at 5am - I love the long summer days and this evening, knackeredness aside, I am going to be sitting out in the garden with a nice cool drink as I stitch!

Today I am going to a Roman/Celt day up on Wandlebury Ring I think and over to see the rest of my small family - after I have bought a tee shirt and look/smell vaguely presentable!!! The sky is blue, the dawn is a light pink, I havent been so happy since the last time I was here 15 months ago.

Guest julie2g1b

hi there

have loads of fun and take lots of pics so you can make a big picture when

you get back and put all around your house lol.................................

how long are you over for?

best wishes have a safe trip back..............

julie :wubclub:

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Quoll

What a beautifully descriptive post. I love Cambridge and the Fens.

I'm pleased to hear that DH has come with you.

Have a great time with your flks. Hopefully you won't see a drop of English rain.

Cheers

Gill

Guest taffy 62

Hi quoll.

It sounds great, Have a great holiday (i'm sure you will).

At least when you get back it will soon be daylight saving here and you can enjoy the warm summer evenings. got the best of both world really havnt you?:smile:

Have fun:jiggy:

Hi Quoll, Lovely post you got me looking at my window now thinking!! Sometimes you take things for granted and yes England has some amazing countryside it is a very pretty county. I'm going go out today to have a nice cream tea and scone yum yum

Enjoy it and most of all enjoy yout time with your parents

Hugzx

Hi Quoll,

Didn't realise you stemmed from our neck of the woods. My daughter was at Wandlebury a couple of weeks ago on a school trip and my son attends the Leys School! - small world!! Anyway glad to hear that you are enjoying being back in the UK despite our horrid summer thus far but the next week is supposed to be good so you timed it just right!

All the best,

Nikci

Hi Angela

So glad your enjoying your stay, even though you have only been here 1 day already, you can tell how excited you are to be home and im sure you will enjoy every minute of your stay here in the UK.

Hope the weather picks up for you, but then by the sound of it you wont be too bothered. The excitement of being here sounds enough for you.

Keep us updated on your stay here, what a lovely thread.

Debbie

xx

Thanks folks - I sure will enjoy every moment and the DH will drag me back, kicking and screaming!!!

Went into Cambridge this morning instead of being a smelly Roman up on Wandlebury and bought up big courtesy of BA's lost luggage donation (thank you Edinburgh Woolen Mills and M & S!) OMG, they have really done well with the town centre - it only opened this month and I will need to go back for a visit rather than rushing through as I had to.

Now have my pack back thank goodness but someone cut the security locks off a couple of zipper pockets which is a bit of a worry - would customs do that? Wouldnt they leave a note of some description if they did so? Weird!

Off to see the rellies now - then Midsomer Murders new series tonight! Unless I am :SLEEP:

Guest mandisfam

Hi Quoll, Wishing you a wonderful stay in England. I couldn't agree with you more the english countryside does take some beating.

All the best

Mandisfam

Guest earlswood

The English countryside does hit you smack in the face when you have been away for some time.

You do only appriciate something when you have not got it anymore.

Hope you have a great time Quell...bloody jealous mate.

Guest claire&fred

Hi Quoll

Just want to say what a super thread. The way you write in such detail is excellent.

I can sense how happy you are to be home. When you mentioned Waitrose it all fits into place. We have one where we lived and it was a smashing supermarket. We also had a Morrisons which was great for the offers but the Waitrose was fab. The fruit and veg was the best.

Anyway, enjoy your time back in the U.K. will be thinking of you and hope it really drags before you come back to Oz.

Claire

Guest funkymonkey

Hi Quoll

You lucky thing, the British countryside in the summer is surely one of the most beautiful places in the world..Your making me even more home sick with your fantastic descriptions.

Have fun and make the very most of each minute, which its sounds like you will.

Archived