Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

14 hours ago, AlwaysVet said:

I truly believe that once the 2nd VAC is paid, it is common sense to understand that no other document including a health certificate is further required, although they may ask for it.  I could be wrong though.  Your part is fulfilled when 2nd VAC paid, and the process is in the department's hand.  And I am confident that they understand. 

Good luck.

Not correct. My parents are on the same boat, paid 2nd VAC and couldn't head offshore before Covid hit. Our application is on hold until such time when they can head offshore, we requested special consideration for a visa grant and the response was that it is written in the law that they have to be offshore.

We were clearly told when our police clearances and medicals expire, we will be requested to provide new ones if we don't make it before they expire.

As a side note, I'd rather provide and receive 'advice' based on facts than opinions. Above are the facts of my parents case. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, PaulM said:

I was under the impression that the visa quota followed the financial year, so the 'fresh' 6,100 +/- allocation for 143 started in July.  Does anyone know if this is roughly correct please? 

Also, if this amount processed at say 500 visas per month, or just just processed as-and-when until the quota is reached?

I was hoping my Aug 2016 application would be reaching the 'request for further docs and medical' stage around Sep/Oct this year based on current trends.

Thanks,

Paul

Did u receive anything from home affairs?to update docs?

9 minutes ago, KittyMB said:

Not correct. My parents are on the same boat, paid 2nd VAC and couldn't head offshore before Covid hit. Our application is on hold until such time when they can head offshore, we requested special consideration for a visa grant and the response was that it is written in the law that they have to be offshore.

We were clearly told when our police clearances and medicals expire, we will be requested to provide new ones if we don't make it before they expire.

As a side note, I'd rather provide and receive 'advice' based on facts than opinions. Above are the facts of my parents case. 

@kittyMB This is so sad that they are almost there and you have paid up everything and yet can't get the visa in hand. It's true that it is the law that they have to be offshore. But if DIBP could only consider and manage some cases as exceptional circumstances would have really helped. Having said that they may have their own challenges to deal with whilst issuing these visas. 

Even if NZ was open to us it would have helped. Hope it all falls in place soon. The anxiety levels for all families waiting has probably hit the roof. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KittyMB said:

Thank you for your information. 
Hope that your parents will get the visa in time.

1 hour ago, Arashtinbenmik said:

Did u receive anything from home affairs?to update docs?

Hi Arashtinbenmik,

Not yet. As I say, I'm hoping to hear Sep/Oct based on the current trend in processing. This is from both the self-reported timelines on this forum and the Home Affairs website info given in June https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/family-visa-processing-priorities/parent-visas-queue-release-dates

Cheers,

Paul

1 hour ago, KittyMB said:

Hi Kitty,

Yes, we were on the same boat situation and I did ask for special consideration when my mom was stuck here unsure when she could depart, same answer that the applicant needs to be offshore as written in law. If she couldn't make it before the health exam expires then we will be requested to redo another one. 

Luckily we have a repatriation flight to my mom's home therefore we are now met their requirements and just waiting for visa to be granted. Unsure what has hold on our application unless has reached quota.

5 hours ago, Millynguyen said:

Hi Kitty,

Yes, we were on the same boat situation and I did ask for special consideration when my mom was stuck here unsure when she could depart, same answer that the applicant needs to be offshore as written in law. If she couldn't make it before the health exam expires then we will be requested to redo another one. 

Luckily we have a repatriation flight to my mom's home therefore we are now met their requirements and just waiting for visa to be granted. Unsure what has hold on our application unless has reached quota.

Good Luck!! We're sticking it out on tourist visa until a safe travel bubble pops up with NZ....

• Thanks 1

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if i am posting this under a wrong thread but have been trying to find a correct one.

Not yet applied for a visa and is after some information. My parent are 75 years of age at this point.

I have been trying to find more and more info but it seems most info is on the skilled and partner visas.

Few questions to ask;

- What is the difference between 143 and 173, both subclass are towards the permanent then why split in two stages ?

- How is the cost split between when applying for any of those? do you have to pay all the amount at the start ?

- After applying for any of the above can I apply for long term 870  parent family visit visa?

- What are the chances for 43 years old unmarried female dependent (fully financially dependent)

Would appreciate your comments and suggestion.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, bobo123 said:

Hi Everyone,

Apologies if i am posting this under a wrong thread but have been trying to find a correct one.

Not yet applied for a visa and is after some information. My parent are 75 years of age at this point.

I have been trying to find more and more info but it seems most info is on the skilled and partner visas.

Few questions to ask;

- What is the difference between 143 and 173, both subclass are towards the permanent then why split in two stages ?

- How is the cost split between when applying for any of those? do you have to pay all the amount at the start ?

- After applying for any of the above can I apply for long term 870  parent family visit visa?

- What are the chances for 43 years old unmarried female dependent (fully financially dependent)

Thanks in advance.

173 is only a temporary visa and only lasts for two years and you then have to apply for 143. It just allows you to pay the large sum needed for 143 into two parts but will actually  cost more and be a lot slower than going directly for 143 as both take same of time to be granted   But you would then Wait longer still to apply for 143 after getting 173. Actual waiting times for applications now are likely to take 8-9 years if not more for grant of143 and probably 10 - 11 years years for 173 then grant of 143. You pay an initial smaller application charge. The large amount is only due just before visa is granted. You would also have to pay $10,000 for Assurancecif Support for your parent 

You can apply for 870 once the other application has been lodged  Given the age of your parent it’s possible he may have to have a medical and also take out full private health insurance which will be expensive as you cannot use Medicare on 870 . He will definitely have to pass a medical for both 173 and 143. He will not be eligible for aged pension or any other benefit for 10years  

There is no chance that Australia will accept a 43 year old dependant - the age limit is 23 at the time of grant.which is likely to be over 8-9 years anyway. At 43 years of age her chances of any other visa are probably none but you could always check with a immigration agent. 

Edited by LindaH27

4 hours ago, bobo123 said:

Hi Everyone,

Few questions to ask;

Thanks in advance.

I agree with everything LindaH27 has said. I’d also say with the queue times in excess of 8 years you have to ask yourself is it worth it. The fees are very high and your parent will be then be well beyond average life expectancy. So not only is there a reasonable chance they won’t make it until the end of the queue, there’s also a good chance they may fail the medical if they do reach the end.  It’s blunt but it’s true. They could also get there, pay out the high fee costs and pass away months later. It’s a lot of money down the drain. As for the 43 year old dependant, not a chance unless they have high special needs/disabilities which would be proven by medical records showing they would not possibly be able to work/manage alone.  As you’ve not mentioned such a disability I assume it doesn’t exist. Being financially dependant isn’t enough, it would have to be proven that they could not manage alone due to serious disability. 

Edited by Tulip1

3 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

As for the 43 year old dependant, not a chance unless they have high special needs/disabilities which would be proven by medical records showing they would not possibly be able to work/manage alone.  As you’ve not mentioned such a disability I assume it doesn’t exist. Being financially dependant isn’t enough, it would have to be proven that they could not manage alone due to serious disability. 

@Tulip1 Can they still get a visa with that?
I would have thought having that many problems would mean an automatic failure of the necessary medical ?  I have read of many families being denied visas because a dependant either has severe medical problems or would incur high medical costs. 

9 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

@Tulip1 Can they still get a visa with that?
I would have thought having that many problems would mean an automatic failure of the necessary medical ?  I have read of many families being denied visas because a dependant either has severe medical problems or would incur high medical costs. 

Yes very likely to fail medical but it would depend on what the condition is I assume otherwise the option wouldn’t exist.  If it says up to 23 years old unless there is a significant special needs dependency then I guess there must be somethings that are accepted.  It’s all about the cost to Australia to keep them which in turn would rule out most things I’d say but there’s obviously some things it doesn’t based on the fact the option exists.  Many families are denied the visas due to this but some get the visa so possible in certain circumstance.  I’d say very low chance of passing anyway as if they are solely dependant on a person in their 80’s the reality is before long they will be relying on another person/country to keep them, it just doesn’t seem very viable. 

Edited by Tulip1

8 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

173 is only a temporary visa and only lasts for two years and you then have to apply for 143. It just allows you to pay the large sum needed for 143 into two parts but will actually  cost more and be a lot slower than going directly for 143 as both take same of time to be granted   But you would then Wait longer still to apply for 143 after getting 173. Actual waiting times for applications now are likely to take 8-9 years if not more for grant of 143 and probably 10 - 11 years years for 173 then grant of 143. You pay an initial smaller application charge. The large amount is only due just before visa is granted. You would also have to pay $10,000 for Assurancec if Support for your parent 

You can apply for 870 once the other application has been lodged  Given the age of your parent it’s possible he may have to have a medical and also take out full private health insurance which will be expensive as you cannot use Medicare on 870 . He will definitely have to pass a medical for both 173 and 143. He will not be eligible for aged pension or any other benefit for 10years  

There is no chance that Australia will accept a 43 year old dependant - the age limit is 23 at the time of grant.which is likely to be over 8-9 years anyway. At 43 years of age her chances of any other visa are probably none but you could always check with a immigration agent. 

Appreciate a prompt and very descriptive reply 

I am very curious to know more about the wait time for 143 ????? You said it will take "8-9 years" for 143 but I was under the impression that this is 36-42 months at this stage ?

I understand that 870 would not provide medicare and will have to explore private health insurance options in this case.

Thanks.

Edited by bobo123

6 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Yes very likely to fail medical but it would depend on what the condition is I assume otherwise the option wouldn’t exist.  If it says up to 23 years old unless there is a significant special needs dependency then I guess there must be somethings that are accepted.  It’s all about the cost to Australia to keep them which in turn would rule out most things I’d say but there’s obviously some things it doesn’t based on the fact the option exists.  Many families are denied the visas due to this but some get the visa so possible in certain circumstance.  I’d say very low chance of passing anyway as if they are solely dependant on a person in their 80’s the reality is before long they will be relying on another person/country to keep them, it just doesn’t seem very viable. 

Significant special needs,  I am guessing this needs to be discussed with a migration agent ? Glaucoma is the one in this case but will this effect eligibility ?

As per the LAW if the cost would be 35k during the next five years then they refuse the visa ? (Please confirm) and in case of Glaucoma should not be more than 35k because there is no cure for this. Just to keep the damage in control which is done by basic medications. No surgery is needed.

Thanks

38 minutes ago, bobo123 said:

I am very curious to know more about the wait time for 143 ????? You said it will take "8-9 years" for 143 but I was under the impression that this is 36-42 months at this stage ?

The Home Affairs website is misleading.  Applications submitted 36-42 months ago are being processed now.  However the queue has become much, much longer since then, because there have been many thousands of applications, but the department grants only a small quota every year.

If you apply today, you will be waiting at least 8 years - and it may be longer, always assuming they're still offering parent visas by that time, which is not guaranteed.

As for the 43-year-old dependent, the department will look at how she would cope if your parents moved to Australia and left her behind.  If she is physically and intellectually capable of living on her own, she wouldn't meet the criteria.  Financial assistance isn't relevant because they can still send her money from Australia.  Glaucoma certainly wouldn't count - my father became legally blind in later years and continued to live independently.  

I'd suggest you and your parents need to do some hard thinking. Moving across the world is a big undertaking at any age, but it's a huge upheaval for someone in their 80's.  They will have to pass a medical at the time, too, so perhaps look at their health now and consider how any conditions are likely to progress.

Edited by Marisawright

31 minutes ago, bobo123 said:

Significant special needs,  I am guessing this needs to be discussed with a migration agent ? Glaucoma is the one in this case but will this effect eligibility ?

As per the LAW if the cost would be 35k during the next five years then they refuse the visa ? (Please confirm) and in case of Glaucoma should not be more than 35k because there is no cure for this. Just to keep the damage in control which is done by basic medications. No surgery is needed.

Thanks

The cost that home affairs  would look at would be $49000

If you have a permanent or ongoing condition with a reasonably predictable course, the MOC will estimate what your condition will cost the community over your remaining life expectancy up to a maximum of 10 years.

If the only thing medically wrong is glaucoma in the 43 year dependant which is controllable by medicine  I doubt she would be allowed a dependant visa under the special rules for over 23 year olds.   But as always I’m not an expert and you really need to speak to a MARA agent. also remember if one applicant fails the medical then all fail.  

As far as wait times for the parent visa there are well over (I think) 52000 already waiting in the queue and only 6000 visas granted per year - it’s simply mathematics to work out how long it will take. Home affairs are currently saying it  will have taken 58 months for the Ones they’re currently processing - not the ones that have just been lodged. 

Most posters have a signature under their posts that give more info. For  instance I applied June 2017 so I’ve already waited three years and before the online queue calculator went off line it said there were 22900 in front of me so I’m looking at another 3.5 to 4 years wait!! 

1 hour ago, bobo123 said:

Thanks

I’m not sure Glaucoma would be considered as highly dependant on another. I’m not in any way putting it down but if it’s controlled as per your post then a 43 year old may struggle proving they are wholly dependent on another. Many live alone and work with the condition. You’ve mentioned they would unlikely fail on medical grounds as the cost of the condition is just basic medication. That is a double edged sword as that may also tell you it’s not severe enough for someone to be completely reliant on another. It’s not enough that your parent choses to support someone, it has to be proven they cannot support themselves at all. That being the case would also indicate high possible costs to Australia as when the parent passes away the assumption would be they would need high cost support which would be expensive.  I’d recommend you speak with a Mara agent (there are some on here, all highly regarded) for an honest assessment. At least then you’ll know one way or another. The queue times were 4 years sometime ago. Anyone applying now faces at least 8 years waiting, possibly longer if they reduce the quota.  

Edited by Tulip1

My daughter has just submitted the application for AOS and they ask that she needs to go into her closest Centrelink to verify her documents and ID. Is anyone at that point now as we not too keen on going into a Centrelink during these times and in addition they give a number to call 132 850 but it doesnt even ring....Any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marilyn said:

My daughter has just submitted the application for AOS and they ask that she needs to go into her closest Centrelink to verify her documents and ID. Is anyone at that point now as we not too keen on going into a Centrelink during these times and in addition they give a number to call 132 850 but it doesnt even ring....Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I had to do the exact same thing in July. I was able to upload all documents online through MyGov but they need to see you in person in order to "Activate your profile". Once you do that, the system records this identification and lets you submit the application straightaway. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gadgetfreak28 said:

I had to do the exact same thing in July. I was able to upload all documents online through MyGov but they need to see you in person in order to "Activate your profile". Once you do that, the system records this identification and lets you submit the application straightaway. 

Just managed to get someone on the phone who was very helpful and did the verification over the phone by uploading all the documents she submitted and said they are not encouraging anyone to come into their offices at this time so it is accepted. Whew what a relief!

• Like 5

On 16/08/2020 at 12:01, bobo123 said:

Hi Everyone,

Few questions to ask;

Thanks in advance.

Hi - please see my timeline as I applied for 173 - the only reason was because at that time it was a waitlist of 18 to 24 months (not true I waited 4 years) and in addition I didn't have all my funds for a 143 but did for 173 at that time....in hindsight it was the best option for me - the timeline was around the same timing like the 143 applications at my time in fact a few months quicker - the advantage is that I am able to apply for the conversion to 143 whilst being onshore so I have been able to start my new life - get a job, medicare on the temp visa. I have 2 years to convert but I chose to do it asap only being here 10 months - the only disadvantage is that it cost $4,260 (£2,434) more, but for me it was worth it. 

Edited by Marilyn
  • Like 1

On 16/08/2020 at 18:30, bobo123 said:

Appreciate a prompt and very descriptive reply 

I understand that 870 would not provide medicare and will have to explore private health insurance options in this case.

Thanks.

Hi - based on the number of applications in the queue and the annual capping of visa grants by the immigration department, the estimate out there is 8-9 years. However this could swing either ways i.e. if the capping limit increases / decreases then the wait times could reduce or further increase - this bit none of us know and will depend on how the AU economy shapes up over the years and the govt directives based on it.

If I were you, I'd get the application in as the application fee itself isn't massive and you get yourself a spot in the queue which is the first step. You can always make a decision either way once your application is up for processing, but having the foot in the door is important as you don't want to end up with a 'what-if' question all through your life. Just my 2 cents!

• Like 2

On 18/08/2020 at 13:06, Marilyn said:

Hi - please see my timeline as I applied for 173 - the only reason was because at that time it was a waitlist of 18 to 24 months (not true I waited 4 years) and in addition I didn't have all my funds for a 143 but did for 173 at that time....in hindsight it was the best option for me - the timeline was around the same timing like the 143 applications at my time in fact a few months quicker - the advantage is that I am able to apply for the conversion to 143 whilst being onshore so I have been able to start my new life - get a job, medicare on the temp visa. I have 2 years to convert but I chose to do it asap only being here 10 months - the only disadvantage is that it cost $4,260 (£2,434) more, but for me it was worth it. 

Hi Marilyn

Just want to know if You went for medicals twice or just once in whole process from 173 to 143 grant. 

Thanks

On 12/08/2020 at 10:34, KittyMB said:

Hi Kitty, we are in the same position. Our 2nd VAC was requested yesterday for our 143. We are currently onshore( on a three year 870) and have requested our visa to be granted but expect to be told this can’t be done. Will pay up and wait and see when and where we can travel to validate the visa. Worrying times for everyone.

• Like 1