Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

Ugh. The bad news doesn't end does it? Having to wait 10 years for parents who don't stop ageing can be agonizing. Wish the government was a tad more empathetic.

Not to forget the productive population will age ultimately presenting a bigger problem a few decades down. There needs to be a balance.

Edited by Arti

Oh yes -  and I’m the parent waiting!! I’m kicking myself. My granddaughter in Australia was born in 2015. We were going to put the application in then. But you needed to show 2 years tax returns prior to grant  - and my daughter was going on a years maternity leave which meant that the following year she wouldn’t have enough to meet their required threshold. So decided to leave it till 2017 - because we thought it would be 2016 before she would go back to work so one year in 2017 and Second tax year  by 2018 - and thought we would be ok because we were told 18-24 months to grant!! So had I kept to the original date of 2015 knowing it was going to take a lot longer in all probability I would have had my grant by now 😥

Edited by LindaH27
  • Sad 1

Can imagine how it must feel Linda. So do you plan on applying for the 870?

I'm thinking I'll space out the 870 application a little bit so that the 5 years would suffice and we don't have to go through the hassle of having a 90 day offshore gap before reapplying. But then again don't want to delay applying too much considering how uncertain all options can be..!

I’m going over for 3 months later this year and will discuss with daughter. Cheaper option is 600 visa. Valid for three years and allows 12 months stay in any 18 months. So 12 in 6 out 12 in 6 out. That takes up 3 years Although some people didn’t get that condition. So they only had to leave for say a weekend then could go back in but think it’s mostly got the 12 in 18 months option now. Want to keep my home and friends in case I fail the medical at whatever year it is when they start processing my date. None of us knows our medical situation as we get older! So it’s kind of hedging my bets if you know what I mean!!?. 

2 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

I’m going over for 3 months later this year and will discuss with daughter. Cheaper option is 600 visa. Valid for three years and allows 12 months stay in any 18 months. So 12 in 6 out 12 in 6 out. That takes up 3 years Although some people didn’t get that condition. So they only had to leave for say a weekend then could go back in but think it’s mostly got the 12 in 18 months option now. Want to keep my home and friends in case I fail the medical at whatever year it is when they start processing my date. None of us knows our medical situation as we get older! So it’s kind of hedging my bets if you know what I mean!!?. 

Sure, makes sense. Hang in there, look after yourself and enjoy the time you do get to spend with the family. Here's hoping there's light at the end of this waiting game real soon for all of us 😍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, theballies said:

VISA GRANTED!!!!!!  Best feeling ever!!  Mum and dad will finally be allowed to stay here with us forever.  So exciting!!  They will arrive in 3 weeks time!

Thank you to everyone on this forum, this road with you all has made the waiting so much easier.

All the best to those waiting still, your glory day will come and you will rejoice!! 

Fantastic!! Many congratulations 🥳 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Arti said:

Dear all

Congratulations to those who have their 143s granted! Can only imagine how relieved you'll must feel!

I applied for my parents' CPV in July 2018 - and going by the current trend, does it mean I should expect our visas to arrive by mid 2022 or am I being too naive / optimistic?

17 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Eeeek more bad news I’m afraid! . They started off with 7175 grants per year. Then it kept dropping and they’ve now changed it to a “ceiling” of 6000 - rather than a number to be aimed  for!!  I believe last year only about 5600 were granted - and could keep dropping. 

Australia doesn’t want old(er) people - we eventually cost too much. The government have openly admitted that. Peter Dutton said they want  economically active young people who will pay taxes.    A productivity review a few years ago said the actual cost to Australia for each parent was probably around 10 times what is paid!! 
I think it was last year the total number of migrants allowed in was changed from 190000 to 160000 per year. 

The 870 came about because people were complaining about the length of the queue. However I believe it’s not costing the Australian tax payer anything but could be wrong .  You pay for the visa,  you pay for private health care and you have to be entirely self sufficient - all whilst spending your dough over there! You won’t even get any pensioner discounts. You may get some bits of Medicare  if you’re from a country that has a reciprocal agreement with Australia but that’s it. 

Best get your application in ASAP for  870 and just on with life whilst waiting for the eventual 143! Just be aware that if it goes into a second 870 there must be a 3 month period out of Australia in between so make sure your parents would have somewhere in mind to spend  that three months. And worst case scenario - after a total of 10 years you can’t apply for another and would have to leave!! 

Hi LInda,

I applied in June 2017. Whats the time line you are expecting?

1 hour ago, cfernandes said:

It seems to have become quiet in here. Haven't seen much activity where people in March or April of 2016 have been asked for further documents. Is it possible that they have hit the quota for the year?

It’s normally around May when processing grinds to a halt for the quota yearend. I’m wondering if this virus has caused immi to stop processing parent visas. I think Chinese applicants still take-up the loins share of parent visas. And now with the travel restrictions from Mainland China, it could be difficult to stop processing visas from just one country without generating problems for the future.

I don’t know if this is fake news, but I read some Australian universities are so desperate to get their fee paying Chinese students onto their courses, they are paying for students to have a two-week holiday in Bali en-route to circumvent the travel ban.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

It’s normally around May when processing grinds to a halt for the quota yearend. I’m wondering if this virus has caused immi to stop processing parent visas. I think Chinese applicants still take-up the loins share of parent visas. And now with the travel restrictions from Mainland China, it could be difficult to stop processing visas from just one country without generating problems for the future.

I don’t know if this is fake news, but I read some Australian universities are so desperate to get their fee paying Chinese students onto their courses, they are paying for students to have a two-week holiday in Bali en-route to circumvent the travel ban.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-26/melbourne-uni-offers-coronavirus-grants-chinese-students/12004262

It isnt a fake news. It is more like a grant not labelled as holiday money. Universities are going to be the biggest losers in Australia along side the tourism industry and everything else related to it. As they say if China sneezes the whole world catches a cold.

Processing of application should keep happening as all applicants are required to go thorough medical examination. Although for the Chinese applicants anything at this stage seems to be a speculation; so cant say.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

Not sure if it is the Coronavirus issue. Because it still takes a good 4-5 months for the visa grant after the case officer makes contact and asks for further documentation .There is a substantial lead time before anyone can make an entry into AUS. 

I am hoping they pick up again. It was all going at such a good pace and now it's silent. 

The least they can do is get us started with our paperwork and keep us in queue. Not hearing from them just builds further anxiety for the applicants. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SusieRoo said:

I suspected the same, rang the immi hotline and got told parent visas are business as usual. However I doubt this because on recent 2nd vac notices, immi department clearly says not to travel to China. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cfernandes said:

Not sure if it is the Coronavirus issue. Because it still takes a good 4-5 months for the visa grant after the case officer makes contact and asks for further documentation .There is a substantial lead time before anyone can make an entry into AUS. 

I am hoping they pick up again. It was all going at such a good pace and now it's silent. 

The least they can do is get us started with our paperwork and keep us in queue. Not hearing from them just builds further anxiety for the applicants. 

FYI mate, S56 is now at end of April, so you will hear something from immi soon

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aaron88 said:

Haha check my timeline, the waiting is killing me. Lots of applications who applied after me got their visa already. Not sure what’s going on here. 

Just as an example , I knew of a guy who had one parent and his brother as a dependant. I believe his brother was over 20 years of age but definitely a student and dependant on his father. 

His application took longer than the others who had applied with him. It was longer by a good 2 months or so. 

Perhaps the assessment is more in depth or something on those lines. 

Not sure what the matter is in your case. 

4 hours ago, AlwaysVet said:

We are in the same boat!

just out of curiosity, have you been to china recently? According to pvc1's auto response, they are now reviewing applications received in feb 2016, it seems strange that they missed your application, unless like cafenades said, your case is special or have dependents involved? 

AOS Bank Guarantee lodged at Commonwealth Bank 28 February 2020 - the 1st notification my son received only had main applicant, not both parents - after phoning centerlink, submitting a letter it was sorted within days - now both parents are including on AOS - delighted another step forward 

• Congratulations 1

6 hours ago, Aaron88 said:

just out of curiosity, have you been to china recently? According to pvc1's auto response, they are now reviewing applications received in feb 2016, it seems strange that they missed your application, unless like cafenades said, your case is special or have dependents involved? 

Nope, just stay put waiting patiently for good news.  We don't have dependents either, just me and my wife.  Our son's contacted Centrelink and been advised to wait.

10 hours ago, AlwaysVet said:

Nope, just stay put waiting patiently for good news.  We don't have dependents either, just me and my wife.  Our son's contacted Centrelink and been advised to wait.

yeah, that's great, all the best, lots of people having issue with Centrelink at the moment, but in most cases, it the issue at Centrelink's end. 

• Thanks 1

@AlwaysVet How did you guys upload the AoS documents to Centrelink? The lady had told me to upload documents to Financial Assurance as that was a priority queue. When I uploaded, I first uploaded as Other documents with the title Financial Assurance; I was still a bit unsure so I uploaded again but selected Centrelink Forms - I'm sorry I can't remember the Form number but if you find Financial Assurance Form and upload to that. It may get you a quicker response. See my signature, ours has been moving pretty quickly.

@Aaron88 We sent acceptance letter to immi, I thought I'd have to wait for at least 3 weeks to hear back, a couple of days later I sent an email asking for possible timeframes as the parents current tourist visa is about to expire. I did not get a response to that but got the request for 2nd Vac payment. Just thought I'd share, as I think the email did the trick in getting a quicker response. (or maybe not and it's just been plain good luck :))

2 hours ago, KittyMB said:

@AlwaysVet How did you guys upload the AoS documents to Centrelink? The lady had told me to upload documents to Financial Assurance as that was a priority queue. When I uploaded, I first uploaded as Other documents with the title Financial Assurance; I was still a bit unsure so I uploaded again but selected Centrelink Forms - I'm sorry I can't remember the Form number but if you find Financial Assurance Form and upload to that. It may get you a quicker response. See my signature, ours has been moving pretty quickly.

@Aaron88 We sent acceptance letter to immi, I thought I'd have to wait for at least 3 weeks to hear back, a couple of days later I sent an email asking for possible timeframes as the parents current tourist visa is about to expire. I did not get a response to that but got the request for 2nd Vac payment. Just thought I'd share, as I think the email did the trick in getting a quicker response. (or maybe not and it's just been plain good luck :))

Thanks for sharing, I’ll definitely try this out. Will let you know how it goes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1