Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I see what you mean and I'm sorry Alan didn't feel able to clarify the general rule for us.   I am NOT asking for clarification to help this particular poster with their specific case. 

I'm asking because I'm sure there are many parents sitting patiently waiting for their child to get PR and fulfil the residence requirements:  this seems to say that if the child is married to an Australian citizen, they don't have to wait.  That would be really important information if it's true

The enquirer has already asked a registered migration agent.    I'm not sure whether the enquirer has paid for this.

The issue is clearly pivotal to the enquirer, and if I spend time extracting the legislative position and giving an opinion I venture to suggest the enquirer might rely on my comments.

Hence my earlier observation.

Onwards and upwards!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cyanide said:

Sorry if it's not related to this topic. My mother has applied for 143 few month back and currently in OZ under visa class 600 with 12 out of 18 months condition. Is there anyway to extend her visa so she can stay 3-6 months extra? Any advise Appreciated. 

New topic required, I think ...

Best regards.

10 minutes ago, NatS259 said:

Ahhhhh I have paid the AOS over a week ago so just waiting now! Everything else submitted prior to this! Nothing to report just very excited and anxious all at the same time!

Same here, the suspense is killing!! ha ha

Edited by theballies
  • Like 2

Hi all!

I just received the acceptance of AOS this Monday. This Wednesday I have received an email from the department of home affairs. They asked for the notary certificate of birth for the sponsor.  I have some troubles to get my birth certificate right now. Just wondering whether there are documents equivalent to the birth certificate that I can submit to them such as australian citizenship, Australian passport and drive licence. Is there anyone who encounters the same issue? Please advice. Thank you very much. 

Edited by Sunny99

Same here, the suspense is killing!! ha ha

We are playing dodge the Corona Virus holiday at the moment, go off shore next week to NZ for visa grant after cancelling China then Bali. We’re looking forward to not going anywhere after 4years of constant travelling.

Bridgie
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, bridgie said:

We are playing dodge the Corona Virus holiday at the moment, go off shore next week to NZ for visa grant after cancelling China then Bali. We’re looking forward to not going anywhere after 4years of constant travelling.

Bridgie

Hi Bridgie

If you don't mind me asking, how come if you paid 2nd VAC 7/2/2020, you're only getting out next week? Is it your own preference?

We're a bit stuck in what to do at the moment. Completed AoS and all required documentation returned to Immi this week. My parents are in Au at the moment on a 600 visa, they have to leave by end March (12 months), and without knowing how long this may take, we don't know if to send them all the way back home to Latin America or to send them somewhere closer such as Bali.

Why did you guys end up cancelling Bali?

Thanks heaps

Hi Bridgie If you don't mind me asking, how come if you paid 2nd VAC 7/2/2020, you're only getting out next week? Is it your own preference? We're a bit stuck in what to do at the moment. Completed AoS and all required documentation returned to Immi this week. My parents are in Au at the moment on a 600 visa, they have to leave by end March (12 months), and without knowing how long this may take, we don't know if to send them all the way back home to Latin America or to send them somewhere closer such as Bali.

Why did you guys end up cancelling Bali?

Thanks heaps

Hi, 

When you get the notification to go off shore (only applicable if you’re in Oz) they give you notice to tell immigration within 7 days your travel plans and you have 28 days to leave the country.

We have been here on a 600 visa for a year with the proviso that we leave every three months. We had previously booked a trip to China to coincide with the three month time period. The corona virus has made that trip untenable. We then booked to go Bali and after we booked Australia made the announcement re China that they would only allow Citizens and Permanent Residents to return to Australia after Quarantine. We took the view that we would rather face quarantine in NZ than Bali if the same conditions were applied to Bali or NZ. In the meantime we received the notification to go offshore for grant of visa so it has tidied up well.

The only fly in the ointment is the footnote on the email asking you to go offshore. They advise you to be offshore for 5 working days our trip falls short by a day. If it comes to it we’ll book another flight and stay until grant. After all the costs over 4 years of back and forth it’s a small amount to stump up however, once back in Oz we don’t plan anymore offshore jaunts for a loooooong while.

Bridgie

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 17:46, bridgie said:

Hi, 

The only fly in the ointment is the footnote on the email asking you to go offshore. They advise you to be offshore for 5 working days our trip falls short by a day. If it comes to it we’ll book another flight and stay until grant. After all the costs over 4 years of back and forth it’s a small amount to stump up however, once back in Oz we don’t plan anymore offshore jaunts for a loooooong while.

Bridgie

Thanks for the info Bridgie. Safe travels, nearly there, Hip Hip Hurray!

• Like 1

VISA GRANTED!!!!!!  Best feeling ever!!  Mum and dad will finally be allowed to stay here with us forever.  So exciting!!  They will arrive in 3 weeks time!

Thank you to everyone on this forum, this road with you all has made the waiting so much easier.

All the best to those waiting still, your glory day will come and you will rejoice!! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 12

VISA GRANTED!!!!!!  Best feeling ever!!  Mum and dad will finally be allowed to stay here with us forever.  So exciting!!  They will arrive in 3 weeks time!
Thank you to everyone on this forum, this road with you all has made the waiting so much easier.
All the best to those waiting still, your glory day will come and you will rejoice!! 

Congratulations and well done for setting up this thread[emoji106][emoji106]

Bridgie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dear all

Congratulations to those who have their 143s granted! Can only imagine how relieved you'll must feel!

I applied for my parents' CPV in July 2018 - and going by the current trend, does it mean I should expect our visas to arrive by mid 2022 or am I being too naive / optimistic?

Sadly a lot longer ! The 4 years being  quoted by people getting their grants now us based on applications from late 2015 - early 2016.  Both 2016 and 2017 saw huge explosions in the numbers of applications. In May and June  2017 there were approx 9000 alone - and with less than 6000  per year that’s at least an extra 18 - 24 months so you’re probably looking at 6-7 years wait  

As at 30 June 2018, 48,595 applicants remain in the pipeline, an increase of 8.3 per cent compared to the pipeline of 44,886 applicants at 30th June 2017

Its likely you will definitely need at least one 5 year 870 - and possibly two! 

I know 😢 A lot of us have had a very painful realisation of the wait time ! Most of us were told 18-24 months. Currently immi website for processing shows 52 months - but - that’s only for the ones they are currently processing - early 2016. If you can bring your parents over on a five year 870 they will be able to stay for that length of time but with no access to Medicare they will need full private health insurance and no work is allowed either so need to be self supporting. . If they get to the end of the five years and still haven’t got their 143 they can apply for another 3 or 5 year 870 but  will have to leave Australia for three months in between. Hope this helps you to make your plans for the future. 

• Like 1

Thank you Linda. The statistics are scary and this sure does help with my decision making.

It is quite unfair the way the information is relayed to us. Back in 2015 I deliberately waited on, as my parents needed time to wrap their head around the decision and weren't ready to migrate in just 2 years..

You consider the information on the immigration website as gospel and make your life plans around it and things change so dramatically. Also the 8-10 years is now considering they budget to take in the same number of parents every year, which again could change dramatically considering the partner visa applications are sky rocketing every year. Hate the whole uncertainty around this.

Ughhh!

• Sad 1

Oh I’m really sorry again -the calculator is only for visas with  a “queued“ date ie 103 and 804 non contributory.  Have a look at this (scroll down, there are yearly reports) 

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/research-and-statistics/statistics/visa-statistics/live/migration-program

This is taken from report 2017-2018

The Parent visa outcome is comprised of two categories:
• Non-Contributory Parent; and
• Contributory Parent.

Non-Contributory Parent
The Non-Contributory Parent category outcome for 2017-18 was 1356 places. Demand for places decreased by 1161 applications (or 37.1 per cent) between 30 June 2017 and 30 June 2018.
As at 30 June 2018, 50,642 applicants remain in the pipeline, a decrease of 2.9 per cent (or 1531 applications) compared to the pipeline as at 30 June 2017.

Contributory Parent
The Contributory Parent category outcome for 2017-18 was 6015 places. Demand for places decreased by 10,249 applications (or 46.9 per cent) between 30 June 2017 and 30 June 2018.
As at 30 June 2018, 48,595 applicants remain in the pipeline, an increase of 8.3 per cent compared to the pipeline of 44,886 applicants as at 30 June 2017.

Which  is why immi is currently quoting a 30 year wait for non contributory visas!! 

• Like 1

Ahh right now I get it, thanks Linda! This is great info.

So the only hope is if immigration decides to increase the annual uptake for contributory. They are making lots of $ for sure with the 143s which must serve as investments into the public healthcare sector I guess..

Fingers crossed! I'm hopeful, coz there's no other choice. Oh and ofcourse off to getting my 870 sorted.

19 minutes ago, Arti said:

So the only hope is if immigration decides to increase the annual uptake for contributory. They are making lots of $ for sure with the 143s

No, actually they are not.  Parents who arrive on a 143 are eligible for Medicare, and the average person needs a lot more medication and treatment once over 60.  At some point they may need aged care, which is expensive, and eventually will die in Australia, and death is often a slow decline involving a lot of very expensive medical care. That is why the visa fee is so high, to help cover those costs.  In fact the government has calculated that parents cost the taxpayer more than the current visa fee - it's not a profitable exercise at all, so there's no incentive to speed up the queue. 

In fact, the trend is quite the opposite.  Just look at the UK attitude to parent visas - an Australian wanting to bring their parent to the UK has virtually no chance.  New Zealand has closed its parent visas completely in the past, too, although they're available again now.  As you say, there isn't another choice, short of heading home yourself, so all you can do is try to be patient, and pray they don't follow the UK's lead and close things down even further.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Arti said:

Ahh right now I get it, thanks Linda! This is great info.

So the only hope is if immigration decides to increase the annual uptake for contributory. They are making lots of $ for sure with the 143s which must serve as investments into the public healthcare sector I guess..

Fingers crossed! I'm hopeful, coz there's no other choice. Oh and ofcourse off to getting my 870 sorted.

Eeeek more bad news I’m afraid! . They started off with 7175 grants per year. Then it kept dropping and they’ve now changed it to a “ceiling” of 6000 - rather than a number to be aimed  for!!  I believe last year only about 5600 were granted - and could keep dropping. 

Australia doesn’t want old(er) people - we eventually cost too much. The government have openly admitted that. Peter Dutton said they want  economically active young people who will pay taxes.    A productivity review a few years ago said the actual cost to Australia for each parent was probably around 10 times what is paid!! 
I think it was last year the total number of migrants allowed in was changed from 190000 to 160000 per year. 

The 870 came about because people were complaining about the length of the queue. However I believe it’s not costing the Australian tax payer anything but could be wrong .  You pay for the visa,  you pay for private health care and you have to be entirely self sufficient - all whilst spending your dough over there! You won’t even get any pensioner discounts. You may get some bits of Medicare  if you’re from a country that has a reciprocal agreement with Australia but that’s it. 

Best get your application in ASAP for  870 and just on with life whilst waiting for the eventual 143! Just be aware that if it goes into a second 870 there must be a 3 month period out of Australia in between so make sure your parents would have somewhere in mind to spend  that three months. And worst case scenario - after a total of 10 years you can’t apply for another and would have to leave!! 

Edited by LindaH27