Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

16 hours ago, Jan.tt said:

Has anyone who had there Visa 143 acknowledged in June 2016 been contacted yet by WA Parents to have a medical and Police check?

As of June 2021 Contributory Parent Visa applications up to a queue date of May 2016 have been released for final processing. This is no change from June 2020.

CPV applications from June 2016 (2051 applications )  will next to be released for processing under the current annual cap of 3600 CPV places.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/family-visa-processing-priorities/parent-visas-queue-release-dates

image.png.b955e2c869d52efdd32fea6acf7c1394.png

• Like 1

On 09/08/2021 at 10:18, AJM22 said:

As of June 2021 Contributory Parent Visa applications up to a queue date of May 2016 have been released for final processing. This is no change from June 2020.

CPV applications from June 2016 (2051 applications )  will next to be released for processing under the current annual cap of 3600 CPV places.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/family-visa-processing-priorities/parent-visas-queue-release-dates

image.png.b955e2c869d52efdd32fea6acf7c1394.png

As May ‘16 has now been processing for over a year and is still ongoing, I suppose it is reasonable to assume that the processing of June ‘16 will take at least two years as there are apparently  nearly twice the number of applicants?

Then there will be July, August, September and October applications to be processed before our turn at 31/10/16.  So we are looking at least another 3 years from now which is a very daunting thought!  We have already been waiting for 58 months with no light at the end of the tunnel. Rather frightening at our age (mid -70’s) Having sold our house & business we seem destined to live in temporary accommodation with half our belongings in storage for the rest of our lives!   I am beginning to think it was all simply an unrealistic dream and we will never ever get there!  So near and yet so far!

13 minutes ago, Juniper said:

As May ‘16 has now been processing for over a year and is still ongoing, I suppose it is reasonable to assume that the processing of June ‘16 will take at least two years as there are apparently  nearly twice the number of applicants?

Then there will be July, August, September and October applications to be processed before our turn at 31/10/16.  So we are looking at least another 3 years from now which is a very daunting thought!  We have already been waiting for 58 months with no light at the end of the tunnel. Rather frightening at our age (mid -70’s) Having sold our house & business we seem destined to live in temporary accommodation with half our belongings in storage for the rest of our lives!   I am beginning to think it was all simply an unrealistic dream and we will never ever get there!  So near and yet so far!

I do not think processing of applications from June 2016 will take over two years. Release for final processing is dependent on whether the annual cap for Contributory Parent Visas has been exhausted in a given migration year.

In your case for applications made 31st October 2016 the cumulative total number of CPV applications in the queue yet to be released for final processing from June 2016 to October 2016 is 5407 against the current annual cap of 3600 places.  If the annual cap is fulfilled as it used to be in all migration years pre July 2016 you would expect your application to be processed within 1.5 years  (5407 divided by 3600 places). However there will be applications that will be refused and the refusal rate is anywhere between 6% to 18% which which could mean that your application could be processed any time between 1.2 years to 1.4 years from now but this would assume that the annual cap of 3600 CPV places is fulfilled each year which currently has not been the case even pre Covid-19.

I can understand your frustration and this is why the Australian Office of Home Affairs ideally need to display a realistic timescale for processing based on outstanding applications in the queue and the current annual cap level at any time to allow individuals who are applying for a CPV to make realistic plans and to have a more accurate indication of how long processing may take so they do not get there hopes up.

The 143 CPV used to be processed in under 2 years however this was when applications outstanding in the queue were around 10000 to 12000 with an annual cap of 7500 CPV places.

Anyone applying for a 143 CPV today would probably have to wait at least 13 - 15 years for their application to be processed based on the current number of applications in the queue and the reduced annual cap of 3600 CPV places available to be granted each year. I do not think this last point was made particularly clear in the recent Senate Enquiry and really anyone applying for a 143 CPV should be aware of this so they can make informed decisions on whether to sell up and move into temporary accommodation assuming that the 143 CPV is a fast track for permanent residency into Australia as this is no longer the case.  Processing of applications 2 to 4 years from date the application is made is no longer valid.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Legal_and_Constitutional_Affairs/FamilyandPartnerVisas

I  really hope you application is processed within 2 years.

• Like 2

Estimated processing time versus application date for Contributory Parent Visas based on outstanding queue 30th October 2020 and annual cap of 3600 CPC places

Table.thumb.jpg.762d0d4e6ee005b26a2f3603023b0dc9.jpg

Annual Parent Visa Cap Level v Parent Visas Granted. CPV and NCPV Queue levels at end of each migration year.  Parent Visa Refusal Rate v Migration Year.

image.png.874fbb16373d545d0ac86e7d46a6ef6c.png

Family Stream Visa Places v Migration Year.  Parent Visa annual Cap levels v Migration Year. 

image.thumb.png.07e5e58a3d4619a1ab23c5d43ec76ce1.png

image.png.c3beff9901543b6cfc17f5bce46c16ba.png

image.png.139037c4cdad924b761da954e7bb2af2.png

image.png.abb7575288f38f687331a9bcda30c9f6.png

image.png.6edc53b8eed0fa243a36bee1b7b03e6d.png

image.thumb.png.95dcfe6aeedf460297699d6d7d989cf0.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJM22 said:

I do not think processing of applications from June 2016 will take over two years. Release for final processing is dependent on whether the annual cap for Contributory Parent Visas has been exhausted in a given migration year.

In your case for applications made 31st October 2016 the cumulative total number of CPV applications in the queue yet to be released for final processing from June 2016 to October 2016 is 5407 against the current annual cap of 3600 places.  If the annual cap is fulfilled as it used to be in all migration years pre July 2016 you would expect your application to be processed within 1.5 years  (5407 divided by 3600 places). However there will be applications that will be refused and the refusal rate is anywhere between 6% to 18% which which could mean that your application could be processed any time between 1.2 years to 1.4 years from now but this would assume that the annual cap of 3600 CPV places is fulfilled each year which currently has not been the case even pre Covid-19.

I can understand your frustration and this is why the Australian Office of Home Affairs ideally need to display a realistic timescale for processing based on outstanding applications in the queue and the current annual cap level at any time to allow individuals who are applying for a CPV to make realistic plans and to have a more accurate indication of how long processing may take so they do not get there hopes up.

The 143 CPV used to be processed in under 2 years however this was when applications outstanding in the queue were around 10000 to 12000 with an annual cap of 7500 CPV places.

Anyone applying for a 143 CPV today would probably have to wait at least 13 - 15 years for their application to be processed based on the current number of applications in the queue and the reduced annual cap of 3600 CPV places available to be granted each year. I do not think this last point was made particularly clear in the recent Senate Enquiry and really anyone applying for a 143 CPV should be aware of this so they can make informed decisions on whether to sell up and move into temporary accommodation assuming that the 143 CPV is a fast track for permanent residency into Australia as this is no longer the case.  Processing of applications 2 to 4 years from date the application is made is no longer valid.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Legal_and_Constitutional_Affairs/FamilyandPartnerVisas

One of the problems is that more are always released from the queue for processing than there are places to allow for refusals etc. So even just being asked for further info doesn’t mean you’re on the way! It seems that the interval between being asked for further info and actually being asked for 2nd Vac  is now around a year!
Also  the estimated processing time chart seems somewhat skewed as it’s only showing 143? The contributory visa queue comprises 173,143, 884 & 864 

You would also need to factor in that 125 of the available 3600 are kept for ex  405 & 410 applicants. It’s not clear if those places are released back into the queue if not taken up. 

Edited by LindaH27

58 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

One of the problems is that more are always released from the queue for processing than there are places to allow for refusals etc. So even just being asked for further info doesn’t mean you’re on the way! It seems that the interval between being asked for further info and actually being asked for 2nd Vac  is now around a year!
Also  the estimated processing time chart seems somewhat skewed as it’s only showing 143? The contributory visa queue comprises 173,143, 884 & 864 

You would also need to factor in that 125 of the available 3600 are kept for ex  405 & 410 applicants. It’s not clear if those places are released back into the queue if not taken up. 

Hi Linda

The chart is not skewed. It shows 143 CPV applications/month and the cumulative total for 143 applications in columns 2 and 3 for information purposes.

Columns 4 and 5 show Total CPV applications/month and cumulative CPV applications and these two columns include 173,143, 884 &864 contributory visas. The timescales are based on total CPV visas and not only 143 CPV visas.

The table is designed give some estimates of timescales for processing  based on current cap levels and actual outstanding queue levels which will be considerably longer especially for applications made 2018 onwards.

9 minutes ago, AJM22 said:

Hi Linda

The chart is not skewed. It shows 143 CPV applications/month and the cumulative total for 143 applications in columns 2 and 3 for information purposes.

Columns 4 and 5 show Total CPV applications/month and cumulative CPV applications and these two columns include 173,143, 884 &864 contributory visas. The timescales are based on total CPV visas and not only 143 CPV visas.

The table is designed give some estimates of timescales for processing  based on current cap levels and actual outstanding queue levels which will be considerably longer especially for applications made 2018 onwards.

Ah I see now! Been a long time since I did my Maths “O level”at school and I sometimes struggle with the “new maths” my grandchildren do !!  Do you know whether the 125 reserved places are put back into the queue if they’re not taken up or does it stay at 3475 available?

Obviously some cases carry over to the next financial year but we don’t know how many. It’s gone very quiet, I’m not hearing of any more visas being granted so I’m assuming they’re already reached this years complement which only started 1st June! It’s been stuck on May 2016 for at least 14 months already. 

21 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Ah I see now! Been a long time since I did my Maths “O level”at school and I sometimes struggle with the “new maths” my grandchildren do !!  Do you know whether the 125 reserved places are put back into the queue if they’re not taken up or does it stay at 3475 available?

Obviously some cases carry over to the next financial year but we don’t know how many. It’s gone very quiet, I’m not hearing of any more visas being granted so I’m assuming they’re already reached this years complement which only started 1st June! It’s been stuck on May 2016 for at least 14 months already. 

Hi Linda 

I am not sure if the 125 reserved places are put back into queue if they are not taken up.

There are of course some cases that carry over into the next migration year if the annual  parent visa cap is fulfilled in a given migration year however the noticeable change from 2016/2017  migration year onwards is that the annual parent visa cap is no longer fulfilled/exhausted when prior to this parent visas were always granted to ensure the parent visa cap in a given migration year was used up.

The reason for this sudden change is unknown and the shortfall in parent visas being granted to fulfil the annual cap in the period 1st July 2016 to 30th June 2020 is 7528 places which is the equivalent of an extra 2 years waiting in the queue based on the current CPV cap of 3600/annum.  I am unsure if the 7528 places that were not fulfilled are rolled over over into the the next migration year in addition to the CPV cap for that particular migration year ( eg for 2020/2021 CPV cap of 3600 places + 7528 places that were not granted in the 4 previous migration years). It is highly likely that unfulfilled visa places are not rolled over and the allocation is lost. 

In December 2021 the Migration report for 2020/2021 will be available and it will be interesting to see if annual cap of 3600 CPV visas for 2020/2021 were fulfilled/granted and whether the trend over the past 4 migration periods has been reversed.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/research-and-statistics/statistics/visa-statistics/live/migration-program

2 hours ago, AJM22 said:

Hi Linda 

I am not sure if the 125 reserved places are put back into queue if they are not taken up.

There are of course some cases that carry over into the next migration year if the annual  parent visa cap is fulfilled in a given migration year however the noticeable change from 2016/2017  migration year onwards is that the annual parent visa cap is no longer fulfilled/exhausted when prior to this parent visas were always granted to ensure the parent visa cap in a given migration year was used up.

The reason for this sudden change is unknown and the shortfall in parent visas being granted to fulfil the annual cap in the period 1st July 2016 to 30th June 2020 is 7528 places which is the equivalent of an extra 2 years waiting in the queue based on the current CPV cap of 3600/annum.  I am unsure if the 7528 places that were not fulfilled are rolled over over into the the next migration year in addition to the CPV cap for that particular migration year ( eg for 2020/2021 CPV cap of 3600 places + 7528 places that were not granted in the 4 previous migration years). It is highly likely that unfulfilled visa places are not rolled over and the allocation is lost. 

In December 2021 the Migration report for 2020/2021 will be available and it will be interesting to see if annual cap of 3600 CPV visas for 2020/2021 were fulfilled/granted and whether the trend over the past 4 migration periods has been reversed.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/research-and-statistics/statistics/visa-statistics/live/migration-program

Have you looked at the Productivity Review for 2016? . I haven’t got it bookmarked sorry but I think if you type that in and preface it with  Australia it should get you there. There are reviews  of all visas , seem to remember parents being near the end. It explains about the costs of the visas to Australian tax payer and makes various recommendations - two of which they have already carried out - the temporary 870 visa and the cut in quota. 

On 10/08/2021 at 13:14, AJM22 said:

Thank you AJM22!  This makes a lot of sense and gives me a good reference tool.  We have also applied for an interim 870 but are still at the Sponsorship stage. It may be we won’t need it after all, we shall have to wait and see!  Such a waiting game and so hard to make a balanced decision with so little current information!

15 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Have you looked at the Productivity Review for 2016? . I haven’t got it bookmarked sorry but I think if you type that in and preface it with  Australia it should get you there. There are reviews  of all visas , seem to remember parents being near the end. It explains about the costs of the visas to Australian tax payer and makes various recommendations - two of which they have already carried out - the temporary 870 visa and the cut in quota. 

Hi Linda

Many thanks for the info about the Productivity Review for 2016.

I managed to find the document and it does provide an interesting insight.  (In relation to Family reunion pages 469 to 485)

https://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/migrant-intake/report/migrant-intake-report.pdf

Certainly from this document it appears that permanent visas for parents will be reduced significantly due to modelled lifetime costs per individual that will be incurred by the Australian taxpayer of which entitlement to state pension after being resident for 10 years is also factored into the model as well as other criteria. It would be interesting to be able to see the cost breakdown by category per individual from any modelling to better understand how the $335000 to $410000 cumulated lifetime fiscal cost is apportioned.

As you highlighted two of the recommended measures from this review have already been implemented in the form of the 870 visa and reduction in the annual cap.

Maybe the 870 visa should be altered slightly to permit further residence in excess of the maximum of 10 years which is currently possible by applying for a 5 year visa and then renewing for a further 5 years to allow parents who can demonstrate they have sufficient income and assets to continue be reunited with their family.

As also highlighted it may also be desirable to create a separate "non permanent" subclass type visa that allows an extended stay for the parent but at the same time allows them the right to work unlike the 870 visa where the condition is that they are not allowed to work.

image.png.0eb269b0d4bda212f45709d4ce2d503f.png

I don’t know how much you know about the old self funded 410 long term temporary retirement visa? but it was a very similar visa  to your suggestion in your final paragraph.

I think it started in 1988? and was closed to new applications in 2005, replaced with the very expensive investor retirement visa, also now closed.

I have no idea why it was stopped in 2005, the visa was not expensive, was valid for 10 years and very simple to renew. You had to be completely self funded, I think allowed to work and I can’t remember if for limited hours, and it was open I think  to everyone over a certain age. The only thing I can think of is that retirees who had been here for a long time, were finding the cost of living too high to be affordable and were trying to get government assistance, which they weren’t entitled to?

Only my opinion but I think sadly it’s unlikely that a similar visa might be introduced for parents, as the government closed the 410 visa? 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ramot said:

I don’t know how much you know about the old self funded 410 long term temporary retirement visa? but it was a very similar visa  to your suggestion in your final paragraph.

I think it started in 1988? and was closed to new applications in 2005, replaced with the very expensive investor retirement visa, also now closed.

I have no idea why it was stopped in 2005, the visa was not expensive, was valid for 10 years and very simple to renew. You had to be completely self funded, I think allowed to work and I can’t remember if for limited hours, and it was open I think  to everyone over a certain age. The only thing I can think of is that retirees who had been here for a long time, were finding the cost of living too high to be affordable and were trying to get government assistance, which they weren’t entitled to?

Only my opinion but I think sadly it’s unlikely that a similar visa might be introduced for parents, as the government closed the 410 visa? 

I tried to add that you can read more about the eligibility of 410 visa holders from reciprocal countries whether they were eligible  to Medicare or not, as it might not be clear which country you were ‘ordinary resident’ I’m not clever enough to understand it all! but visa holders came from many countries, so perhaps this was relevant to closing the visa.

7 hours ago, AJM22 said:

Hi Linda

Many thanks for the info about the Productivity Review for 2016.

I managed to find the document and it does provide an interesting insight.  (In relation to Family reunion pages 469 to 485)

https://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/migrant-intake/report/migrant-intake-report.pdf

Certainly from this document it appears that permanent visas for parents will be reduced significantly due to modelled lifetime costs per individual that will be incurred by the Australian taxpayer of which entitlement to state pension after being resident for 10 years is also factored into the model as well as other criteria. It would be interesting to be able to see the cost breakdown by category per individual from any modelling to better understand how the $335000 to $410000 cumulated lifetime fiscal cost is apportioned.

As you highlighted two of the recommended measures from this review have already been implemented in the form of the 870 visa and reduction in the annual cap.

Maybe the 870 visa should be altered slightly to permit further residence in excess of the maximum of 10 years which is currently possible by applying for a 5 year visa and then renewing for a further 5 years to allow parents who can demonstrate they have sufficient income and assets to continue be reunited with their family.

As also highlighted it may also be desirable to create a separate "non permanent" subclass type visa that allows an extended stay for the parent but at the same time allows them the right to work unlike the 870 visa where the condition is that they are not allowed to work.

image.png.0eb269b0d4bda212f45709d4ce2d503f.png

Oh good you found it! Im not sure why they would take the Oz  aged pension into account as it is means tested so not every migrant would be entitled to it. Also one of their recommendations was to get rid of 804 or at least make it very difficult to get. It’s a non contributory visa therefore in proportion to the cost of application (c $6000 ?) it costs Australia far more in medical and aged care  in those who get it, unlike contributory visas where there’s a  large sum paid which goes towards their future Medicare costs. If they reduce the 804  that  would save them money. They have in fact tried to get rid of it a few years ago. 

There doesn't seem to be any movement in granting 143's at the moment (as many have noted). We are currently onshore in Aus (thanks to Covid and the understanding of Immigration in giving us two additional visitor's visas), and grateful to be so. Based on our Application Date of 17th Aug 2016 (and acknowledgement letter dated 19th Aug 2016), together with the outstanding and monthly application figures and the current cap, I had thought we would be asked for additional info etc anytime now and be in the 2021/2022 batch of visas granted. 

I'm also at an age (55) where working for 10-20 years in Australia is both realistic and probably essential, so would be paying tax etc and contributing to society. I also have a couple of properties I rent out here (plus one we currently live in), so paid the additional taxes as a foreigner on those and pay tax from the first $ on the rental income (I chose to pay that tax here rather than in my previous country of residence as the money was earned here and I felt it showed a commitment to Australia). I say all this by way of illustrating that perhaps an applicant in my shoes is a net contributor rather than cost to Australia. 

I'm interested in anyone's views on this - am I being wildly optimistic, realistic, or too hard to tell? Do we (as a forum) believe being onshore is a plus? 

Grateful for any thoughts on this.

1 hour ago, huubang said:

Hi everyone

I applied 143 in June 2018 but still haven't received any queue date yet. Is it normal or should I get in touch with them (but how?)? Anyone is also in the same situation like me? 😢

Huubang - see link below.  Your queue date will be the same date as your application lodgement date if you have not received a letter ( for applications prior to June 1st 2018).

“Haven’t received a queue date letter?

It has been found that some Contributory Parent Subclass 143 visa applications have received queue date letters and others have not. The Department has provided that all applications lodged prior to 1 June 2018 have automatically been allocated a queue date that is the same as the date of lodgement.”

https://www.ahclawyers.com/news-articles/updates-on-contributory-parent-subclass-143-queue-and-covid-19-biosecurity-emergency-extended

As of June 2021 Contributory Parent Visa applications up to a queue date of May 2016 have been released for final processing. This is no change from June 2020.

In regards to when your application from June 2018 may be processed and granted check the tables in previous posts.
There are 31173 CPV applications in the queue yet to be released for processing in the period June 2016 to June 2018. Based on the current 3600 CPV annual cap the estimated time is another 6 to 8 years from now before your CPV143 visa application will be processed/ granted depending on rejection rates in each migration year and assuming that that 3600 CPV visas are granted annually to fulfil the annually cap. 

42 minutes ago, huubang said:

But I applied after that date, on 20 June 2018

So your application will be behind the  29498 CPV applications in the queue still yet to be released for processing in the period June 2016 to end May 2018 which are subject to the annual cap of 3600 places.
These will take between 6 to 7 years to clear depending on rejection rates assuming the annual CPV cap of 3600 places are fulfilled each year .

Looking for some advise Queue date 103 visa 01/07/2015 switched to 143 visa 12/10/2020 with Acknowledgement Letter 25/10/2020, No update has been provided so far. I was expecting the application to progress considering original application date was 01/07/2015. Has anyone been in a similar boat as me  ?

48 minutes ago, desert-eagle said:

Looking for some advise Queue date 103 visa 01/07/2015 switched to 143 visa 12/10/2020 with Acknowledgement Letter 25/10/2020, No update has been provided so far. I was expecting the application to progress considering original application date was 01/07/2015. Has anyone been in a similar boat as me  ?

We swopped from 103 in Jan 2020 with an original queue date of 24/08/2015 . This was just before COVID hit and most of our paper was in (see our timeline) our only delay was after payment of the second VAC and actual issue of the visa . You have obviously been caught up with the delays in visa processing , are you using an agent ? As I believe without one we might also still be waiting. We have been living in Perth since last October but it was an expensive move when you add on the cost of flights and quarantine .

7 hours ago, desert-eagle said:

Are you offshore?  If so I would expect you to be near the top of the queue once they start requesting further documents again but that doesn't appear to have happened for over a year now sadly

On 16/08/2021 at 16:26, BargeUK said:

Are you offshore?  If so I would expect you to be near the top of the queue once they start requesting further documents again but that doesn't appear to have happened for over a year now sadly

Had a response from Immigration, Advising that they have considered my previous application date and no further update.

Assuming Covid has played the role in delay.