Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

15 hours ago, Singh1993 said:

Congratulations but your type 2022 by mistake We are same 2nd vac req and paid on June 2021 but still waiting for visa

Aww yes indeed it was July 2021. Good luck, I think it'll be very soon for you too!

On 04/07/2021 at 19:04, LindaH27 said:

Congratulations - finally !! Nearly over. 
One last battle ahead now - finding a flight (getting rare and expensive apparently 😢) and surviving quarantine !! 

Thank you and yes the ticket prices are outrageous, but hopefully we will get a little luck. Let's see how we fare 🙂

On 03/07/2021 at 07:41, MillieB said:

@AJM22

Very impressed with your research.  Thank you for posting.

I find the shortfall on grant of available visas since 16/17 concerning.  I wonder why this is?  Maybe staff shortages? 

Thank you for your kind comment.   

As LindaH27 replied the shortfall on grant of available visas is likely to be deliberate and connected to increased pension and healthcare costs that Australia as a nation are going to be exposed to due to it having an ageing population and the people living longer.

There is a rapid change in the ratio of working age people to those over 65 in Australia.

In 1981-82 there were 6.6 people of working age for every person aged over 65. Today there are 4 working people of working age for every person over 65 and by 2060-161 there will only be 2.7 people of working age to every person aged over 65 based on projections.

This presents the government with some challenges as the the proportion of Australians in retirement is projected to increase significantly in the next 40 years whilst those or working age shrink. As the life expectancy in Australia is one of the highest in the world and people are living longer more money will need to be spent on health, pension and aged care services putting a greater strain on government finances. There will be a greater strain on finances because there will be fewer people paying income tax (as a proportion of the population) and more people relying on aged care and health spending.

This is also probably the reason why annual143 CPV allocation/cap in each migration year has been reduced from 7500 to 3600 unlike the partner visa allocation which has increased by a massive amount from 39799 places in 2019/20 to 72300 places in 2020/21 and 2021/2022 ( increase of 32501 places each year).

The reason the partner visa allocation has been increased is to ensure that individuals who have gained Australian residency through job skills/talent route who are essential to growth of the Australian economy remain in Australia by ensuring that their partners can also gain residency as well to be with them. If the timescale for partners to gain entry was too high there would be a greater risk that individuals that had gained Australian residency through job skills/talent route would not remain in Australia which would then have a negative impact on the Australian economy. 

It is somewhat disappointing that the government does not appear to appreciate that parents being reunited with their children and grandchildren who are resident in Australia would more than likely give positive benefits to the Australian economy due to the fact that they could look after grandchildren allowing both parents to work more. In addition some parents migrating to Australia would still be at an age where they could work which would also contribute to the economy. Parents who were migrating to Australia and of an age where they were retired would still bring with them assets and pensions which would be spent in Australia also contributing to the economy. 

Ideally the annual allocation/cap for 143 CPV needs to be increased to clear the current backlog in a shorter period of time. Whether this will happen under the current government remains to be seen !!

I have a family member who is trying to relocate to Australia to be with his daughter and grandchildren and who applied for his 143 CPV in Oct 2017 and who was anticipating being over in Australia by the end of this year, however realistically based on the outstanding queue and reduced allocation/cap along with shortfall on visa grant it is likely it will be at least another 6 years before his visa may be granted. 

The frustrating part is that the emigration agent that is handling his case appear oblivious to the number of outstanding applications in the queue and keep being over optimistic.  

In his case the 3300 143 CPV applications made in May 2017 and 5185 43 CPV applications made in June 2017 have impacted severely as these two months alone will take nearly 2.5 years to clear based on the current 3600 cap. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, LindaH27 said:

Fingers crossed - keep us all informed please. 🤞🤞

Hey Linda,

i have just read this from 173 visa on immigration website:

Note: The Department is not asking Family visa applicants to travel offshore at this time. A temporary concession to allow visas to be granted in Australia is available to eligible Parent visa applicants from 24 March 2021.

so i think they will grant a visa in Australia if the applicant is in Australia 

14 minutes ago, Jess2201 said:

Hey Linda,

i have just read this from 173 visa on immigration website:

Note: The Department is not asking Family visa applicants to travel offshore at this time. A temporary concession to allow visas to be granted in Australia is available to eligible Parent visa applicants from 24 March 2021.

so i think they will grant a visa in Australia if the applicant is in Australia 

My reply you quoted was in response to Tony’s post about being granted 143. He is offshore. 

I know you are currently in Australia on a visitor visa shortly running out. You applied for 173 in June 2016. Have you been asked to provide further documents as it takes months after being approached for documents before they actually grant the visa  if your present visa is running out you have to apply for another visa to remain in Australia,   if they say they are ready to grant your visa yes they can do it in Australia but I don’t know what stage you are at in your application 

Edited by LindaH27

4 hours ago, tonys said:

Thank you and yes the ticket prices are outrageous, but hopefully we will get a little luck. Let's see how we fare 🙂

1 minute ago, LindaH27 said:

My reply you quoted was in response to Tony’s post about being granted 143. He is offshore. 

I know you are currently in Australia on a visitor visa shortly running out but can you answer the following questions please?

1) have  you applied for 173 ?

2) when did you apply?

Sorry Linda, i didnt try to find the quote

you quoted to me, only tried to find your name lol. Dont worry about the quote. I am just a bit excited that if they can grant me a visa while i am in Australia.

i have applied visa 173 on June 30th, 2016

2 minutes ago, Jess2201 said:

Sorry Linda, i didnt try to find the quote

you quoted to me, only tried to find your name lol. Dont worry about the quote. I am just a bit excited that if they can grant me a visa while i am in Australia.

i have applied visa 173 on June 30th, 2016

Have you been asked for further documents. ? This means they are considering granting. your visa, BUT if you look at other timelines it will take months before you actually get the grant - you’ve said your visitor visa is running out in 30 days. Unless you apply for another visa to remain whilst waiting for 173 you will risk overstaying - that’s enough sometimes to stop you from getting a visa! 

Edited by LindaH27

11 minutes ago, LindaH27 said:

Have you been asked for further documents. ? This means they are considering granting. your visa, BUT if you look at other timelines it will take months before you actually get the grant - you’ve said your visitor visa is running out in 30 days. Unless you apply for another visa to remain whilst waiting for 173 you will risk overstaying - that’s enough sometimes to stop you from getting a visa! 

Havent been contacted by immigration yet. 
i have just finished preparing documents for a visitor visa today. They triple the price now. Will it take years to process? Cos i am considering between visitor visa and the other visitor visa that i pay $5000 for 3 years visa. I am not sure how long will they extend my visitor visa this time because i has extended it once due to covid last year.

2 minutes ago, Jess2201 said:

i have just finished preparing documents for a visitor visa today. They triple the price now. Will it take years to process? Cos i am considering between visitor visa and the other visitor visa that i pay $5000 for 3 years visa. I am not sure how long will they extend my visitor visa this time because i has extended it once due to covid last year.

I don’t know how long it takes for new visitor visa. They don’t like repeated applications but may be OK during Covid  times. As far as 3 year visa is concerned you need permission to be able to apply onshore as it’s normally applied for offshore. If you go down that route before you’ve been granted 173 it will stop you applying for 143 until it runs out. Getting 870 visa before applying for permanent 143 visa wont let you apply for any parent visa 

We also applied in March 2016 and still waiting.

Application date: 18/03/2016.

documents requested: 6/02/2020.

document submitted: 18/03/2020.

further documents requested: 30/04/2020.

all submitted in May 2020.

after that nothing heard for more than a year. 

12 hours ago, Jess2201 said:

Hi Jess2201,

Have you applied for a Visitor (subclass 600) visa? If so, the grant can take several months, during which you will be on a bridging visa. My wife and I have recently done the same - going from one 600 to another. In normal times we would have gone beyond the 12 months in 18 months rule, but Immigration have looked at the current Covid situation it seems and decided to be more generous. We mentioned that we had 143 visa applications submitted in Aug 2016; showed we had finances and medical insurance in place; cited the lack of flights and difficulties in travel. 

This was our second additional 600 visa. For the first one, we needed to do medicals. For this one, we had to supply police clearances for the last 10 years (in our case UAE, Germany and Australia), presumably because we have been onshore since March 2020 and the new visa is valid until end Dec 2021. 

Good luck!

1 hour ago, Raj2016 said:

We also applied in March 2016 and still waiting.

Application date: 18/03/2016.

documents requested: 6/02/2020.

document submitted: 18/03/2020.

further documents requested: 30/04/2020.

all submitted in May 2020.

after that nothing heard for more than a year. 

Hope we hear something soon. Its been a long wait. 

2 hours ago, PaulM said:

Hi Jess2201,

Have you applied for a Visitor (subclass 600) visa? If so, the grant can take several months, during which you will be on a bridging visa. My wife and I have recently done the same - going from one 600 to another. In normal times we would have gone beyond the 12 months in 18 months rule, but Immigration have looked at the current Covid situation it seems and decided to be more generous. We mentioned that we had 143 visa applications submitted in Aug 2016; showed we had finances and medical insurance in place; cited the lack of flights and difficulties in travel. 

This was our second additional 600 visa. For the first one, we needed to do medicals. For this one, we had to supply police clearances for the last 10 years (in our case UAE, Germany and Australia), presumably because we have been onshore since March 2020 and the new visa is valid until end Dec 2021. 

Good luck!

Hi Paul,

So i came here March 2020 on visa 600. Then I applied another 600, needed to do health check and police check in vietnam and in Australia for the last 10 years as well and this visa will be expired Aug 2021. Now i need to apply for another visa 600 and want to ask for another year. 
thank you i will add in the information that I have submitted 173 since June 2016 and i ve got medical insurance for the last 18 months in Australia. How long did you ask for a visa extension?

3 minutes ago, 143mag said:

Offshore, how about you? Also if you did not get contacted since last year. Did the documents not expire?

My one applicant is offshore and one is onshore. Yes they did asked me to provide PCC again as it was expired. But even those documents are submitted. 

1 hour ago, Raj2016 said:

My one applicant is offshore and one is onshore. Yes they did asked me to provide PCC again as it was expired. But even those documents are submitted. 

Same here. We submitted new police clearances. We are 29 march 2016. They said they will prioritise our application in july. But havnt heard anything 😞