Parent visa application timelines (143 & 173)

theballies

Taken from The Guardian (online) 24/5/21 - probably part of the ongoing Senate enquiry  Note : the Parents total will be the sum of both contributory and non contributory, also bear in mind the projected 25 years wait times isn’t accurate as it includes non contributory which can take up to 30 years but it’s still pretty grim reading! 

Also given that the Partner stream quota allowed is 72000 (?)  it looks like the bulk of the wait list  for that could possibly be dealt with in one year! 

“In Estimates, Home Affairs officials are going through the statistics on the backlog of parents and partners of Australian still awaiting visas.

Officials said the family visa program is the biggest in 25 years. Partners waiting for visas peaked at 98,000 at the end of October, but has come down to just over 77,000 in April.

And parent visas? 114,000 people have applied and are still waiting. Just 4,500 places have been allocated for parent visas this year. At that rate it would take 25 years to clear the backlog.

Earlier, the secretary Michael Pezzullo said: As announced in the Budget, the 2021-22 migration program will have an overall planning level of 160,000 places, carrying over the 2020-21 migration program composition and planning levels, including 79,600 places for the skill stream and 77,300 places for the Family stream. The skill stream will continue to focus on visa categories that will help Australia’s economy rebound from Covid-19, with priority given to visa cohorts that drive economic growth, job creation and investment into Australia.”

Edited by LindaH27

20 hours ago, Poonam Sharma said:

We lodged our application in April 2017. I too don’t remember getting any email? Did I miss reading it ?

Yeah that's what I was worried about too.

MillieB applied in July 2018 and already got the letter. Not sure what we can do in this case except waiting. Did you get any contact from them at all?

Hi Everyone, 

I am new to this forum. My parents have applied for subclass 143. I mailed application via Auspost which was  delivered on 20/05/2021 to Parent Visa Centre. How do i know that department has received my application other than Auspost confirmation? Do i get any acknowledgment/notification? If yes then how soon can i expect any sort of communication from PVC? 
Thank you 

2 minutes ago, Mail2sid said:
Hi Everyone, 

I am new to this forum. My parents have applied for subclass 143. I mailed application via Auspost which was  delivered on 20/05/2021 to Parent Visa Centre. How do i know that department has received my application other than Auspost confirmation? Do i get any acknowledgment/notification? If yes then how soon can i expect any sort of communication from PVC? 
Thank you 

You will receive an acknowledgement of the application and then won’t hear for many years!

Are you aware that it will take at least 10 - probably more - years for the grant? Over 56000 already waiting in the queue and only 3600 grants allowed per year. They are also prioritising onshore applicants whilst they borders are closed despite the website saying applications are to be dealt with in strict date order! 

1 minute ago, Mail2sid said:

Thanks Linda for the Info. Initially when i applied  homeaffairs website showed 58 months. Ever since i visited this forum i read lots of comments and realised it is going to take that many years. 

The 58 months is actually for the ones they are currently processing ie May 2016 but it’s been stuck on that since last September as there were a lot of applications then. 

So you will get an acknowledgement then in a few years you will be given a queue date which will be around 3 years later and that won’t be looked at until they reach processing for that date. So it’s a long haul and parents are probably best to just get on with their lives and visit when they can after the borders eventually reopen - hopefully by mid year next year but no guarantees! 

Hi. 

Planning on applying for Subclass 143. Not sure if this been answered in the thread earlier (it is very long :)) but can someone please advise

1. If Form 80 needs to be filled in right now or when requested by the case office? 

2. Who needs to fill Form 47A? I am the only child/sponsor for my parents and not dependent on them. Does my mother need to fill the form given she is already on the application as a partner? 

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks

28 minutes ago, NShah said:

Hi. 

Planning on applying for Subclass 143. Not sure if this been answered in the thread earlier (it is very long :)) but can someone please advise

1. If Form 80 needs to be filled in right now or when requested by the case office? 

2. Who needs to fill Form 47A? I am the only child/sponsor for my parents and not dependent on them. Does my mother need to fill the form given she is already on the application as a partner? 

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks

Your parents complete form 47 you complete form 40. Form 80 is only requested when application is being processed as they need the 10 years prior to grant.

Are you aware new applications are likely to take 10 years at least? There are over 56000 already waiting in the queue and only 3600 grants per year are allowed. 

Edited by LindaH27

Thanks Linda. 

Yes they have completed form 47PA but was not sure if they need to complete Form 47A (Details of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over)?

If anyone who has recently submitted an application could advise if they submitted Form 47A that would be appreciated 🙂

Thanks

4 minutes ago, NShah said:

Thanks Linda. 

Yes they have completed form 47PA but was not sure if they need to complete Form 47A (Details of child or other dependent family member aged 18 years or over)?

If anyone who has recently submitted an application could advise if they submitted Form 47A that would be appreciated 🙂

Thanks

Hi Nshah, 

My parents have completed Form47PA and i have completed Form 40 while submitting application. 

Edited by Mail2sid
Typo error

Every time i come on here its just bad news about ever increasing wait times 😞

They need to have a better 870 option - perhaps a visa for 10 years at a stretch?And then again renewable for another 10 years?

I just sent the blank email to parents@homeaffairs.gov.au to get an update and read this in the email I got back:

7.            CURRENT HOLDERS OF SPONSORED PARENT (TEMPORARY) (SUBCLASS 870) VISA

Holders of Sponsored Parent Temporary (subclass 870) visas are not eligible for Contributory or Non-Contributory Parent Visas.

I am a bit confused what this means.. my MIL is here already on the 870 visa, we applied for her 143 visa before she came over here on the 870. The statement above suggests having an 870 visa makes you ineligible for a 143??????

3 hours ago, youngfreewild said:

I just sent the blank email to parents@homeaffairs.gov.au to get an update and read this in the email I got back:

7.            CURRENT HOLDERS OF SPONSORED PARENT (TEMPORARY) (SUBCLASS 870) VISA

Holders of Sponsored Parent Temporary (subclass 870) visas are not eligible for Contributory or Non-Contributory Parent Visas.

I am a bit confused what this means.. my MIL is here already on the 870 visa, we applied for her 143 visa before she came over here on the 870. The statement above suggests having an 870 visa makes you ineligible for a 143??????

Don't panic.... you can apply for 870 after 143 but not the other way around. 

What you have done is perfectly fine 🙂

I got a call today from the Immigration department to tell me that our 143 visa was progressing.

They requested the VAC2 payment and would start progressing applications from the 1st July 2021 as the cap has already been exceeded for 2020-2021. The representative also mentioned they are all hands on deck and going to try and approve as many applications as possible. 

Look's like things will start moving again for all those that are waiting, stay positive! 

Originally applied in April 2016 for reference. 

• Like 1
  • Congratulations 2

13 hours ago, tonys said:

I got a call today from the Immigration department to tell me that our 143 visa was progressing.

They requested the VAC2 payment and would start progressing applications from the 1st July 2021 as the cap has already been exceeded for 2020-2021. The representative also mentioned they are all hands on deck and going to try and approve as many applications as possible. 

Look's like things will start moving again for all those that are waiting, stay positive! 

Originally applied in April 2016 for reference. 

Hi @tonys, congrats on getting some contact from the department regarding your application. may I know your current status? are you onshore or offshore. Not that it will make a huge difference as your lodgment date is April 2016 and there were few may 2016 applicants also getting their files processed, but just for information. thanks

hi @Anks offshore from the UK... I made sure to keep police clearances up to date etc. in an effort to not delay the application. 

To be honest once the department requests the VAC2, does that then mean a visa is imminent, or is there additional processing that needs to be completed? I wasn't sure about that part.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonys said:

hi @Anks offshore from the UK... I made sure to keep police clearances up to date etc. in an effort to not delay the application. 

To be honest once the department requests the VAC2, does that then mean a visa is imminent, or is there additional processing that needs to be completed? I wasn't sure about that part.

Pre covid the grant would follow usually by the next day once they’ve received the second VAC! Hopefully if they’re as fired up as they say they are, you will get it very soon. Good luck with your new life! 

1 hour ago, LindaH27 said:

Pre covid the grant would follow usually by the next day once they’ve received the second VAC! Hopefully if they’re as fired up as they say they are, you will get it very soon. Good luck with your new life! 

Thank you,  I hope so...we've been waiting what feels an eternity. 

So with the grant, do I need to go to the high commission in London to pickup a visa or is it all electronic? I'll need to book flights, but that's another problem all in it's self.