AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

Yes mate it sucks and calling the immi doesnt help either, atleast they can advise of the dates immi is working on for Perth area but they have just advised to wait.....its so frustating....:dull:

Hi mate,

same here, I've lodged my online application on 11/11/2016, got the acknowledgement letter n thats it.

Hi All,

I applied for our family citizenship on 23rd October 2016, had acknowledgement email but no other contact.

Due to family illness we will now be going back to the Uk in Feb for a long period of time.

If it hasn't gone through by then... which i doubt very much reading everyones timelines, Will they refund the money if we have no choice but to go back without ?

Thanks

HiGoldyshell!

I would recommend waiting till Feb to see if you atleast can do the test and be "approved". Once you are approved you can leave the country and return at a later date for you Citizenship ceremony. Seems a shame as you have spent a lot of time & money for the process already - dept of IMMI also do not refund.

My husband and I are moving back to the Uk in february 2017 (If we get our ceremony by then)....We wanted to ensure we had our ozzy citizenship before we left to not cut ties with Australia!

We applied in October with Melbourne, City of casey council with our application as "Joint" - This is my timeline if any help for you, If you are from Melbourne check several times a day to try and chnage your test dates!

Applied: 4 October 2016 (Online)

Council: City Of Casey (Melbourne)

Original test date: 9 Feb 17 (but managed to change to 4th November 2016)

Test date: 4th November 2016 (Passed 100%)

Approval: 4th November 2016 (Just called DIPB & was told approval granted on same day as test, and to keep eye out for snail mail letter)!

Ceremony: ???

Hi all - here is my timeline:

Date applied: 20/11/2016

City/Council area: Brisbane

Online / Paper: Online

Date received the acknowledgement email: 20/11/2016

Date Test Appointment email received: 28/11/2016

Date of the Citizenship Test: 1/2/2017. Rearranged to 11/1/2017 (they could not do any sooner).

Hi all - here is my timeline:

Date applied: 20/11/2016

City/Council area: Brisbane

Online / Paper: Online

Date received the acknowledgement email: 20/11/2016

Date Test Appointment email received: 28/11/2016

Date of the Citizenship Test: 1/2/2017. Rearranged to 11/1/2017 (they could not do any sooner).

Guys, i got my test date .. 22 march .. so far away.. called to change.. they said nothing available in perth atm before that ... sigh

HiGoldyshell!

I would recommend waiting till Feb to see if you atleast can do the test and be "approved". Once you are approved you can leave the country and return at a later date for you Citizenship ceremony. Seems a shame as you have spent a lot of time & money for the process already - dept of IMMI also do not refund.

My husband and I are moving back to the Uk in february 2017 (If we get our ceremony by then)....We wanted to ensure we had our ozzy citizenship before we left to not cut ties with Australia!

We applied in October with Melbourne, City of casey council with our application as "Joint" - This is my timeline if any help for you, If you are from Melbourne check several times a day to try and chnage your test dates!

Approval: 4th November 2016 (Just called DIPB & was told approval granted on same day as test, and to keep eye out for snail mail letter)!

Mine was almost identical timing last year with Casey council. I applied early August, my test was mid-November and the ceremony was the beginning of May. They are apparently a very busy council and my ceremony was jam-packed.

Edited by MaggieMay24

Mine was almost identical timing last year with Casey council. I applied early August, my test was mid-November and the ceremony was the beginning of May. They are apparently a very busy council and my ceremony was jam-packed.

Wow! I knew Casey council are one of the busiest but that is a ridiculous wait time! :( I think I am being slightly optimistic with my thoughts of Australia Day ceremony...

Did you have any delays or was it a straight forward application....

Thanks for the feedback :) x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Jemma

Thank you for your message.

Wow yours was quick!

We are definately moving back in Feb or even January. So not not sure if we will be here to do our citizenship if it does go through quickly and I think our move to the UK will be a permanent one. None has really settled after 5 years. We are in Bunbury two hour south of Perth

Hubby will stay here for a year for work until we are settled over there. Do you know if he can do his citizenship alone if myself and our two daughters are in the UK. We thought that that could be an option. Our PR visa expires in June so we have to renew the travel part anyway. Such a confusing time

Thanks and good luck

HiGoldyshell!

Hi Jemma

Thank you for your message.

Wow yours was quick!

We are definately moving back in Feb or even January. So not not sure if we will be here to do our citizenship if it does go through quickly and I think our move to the UK will be a permanent one. None has really settled after 5 years. We are in Bunbury two hour south of Perth

Hubby will stay here for a year for work until we are settled over there. Do you know if he can do his citizenship alone if myself and our two daughters are in the UK. We thought that that could be an option. Our PR visa expires in June so we have to renew the travel part anyway. Such a confusing time

Thanks and good luck

Ye I definitely got lucky with changing my test date! When I got my first test date for February I was quite upset as we were naively expecting the entire process to take 3 months [emoji51]... we are heading back to Birmingham, West Midlands - just not looking forward to the cold winters!

Yep I know feeling, we have been here 7 years & how time flys...At least you held it out for 5 years which is a very long time and gave it a good go!

As citizenships are individual based I would guess it wouldn't be a problem him continuing the application process alone, especially if he is staying in oz for the next 12 months he might as well. Yep I also had to get the resident return visa which is not cheap it's around $450 per person, but lasts 5 years...

Wishing you all the best with your move and new adventure back to blighty! Check out the moving back to the uk topics on this forum, I have found it so informative and useful.

Jem x

updated timeline:

Applied: 11/11/2016(Perth)

Test date notification received today 30/11/16

Test date: 23rd March

called to get an earlier date however no dates available in Perth :(

Keep calling DIBP everyday and request a call back so your not waiting on hold...fingers crossed you can change it!

Wow! I knew Casey council are one of the busiest but that is a ridiculous wait time! :( I think I am being slightly optimistic with my thoughts of Australia Day ceremony...

Did you have any delays or was it a straight forward application....

Thanks for the feedback :) x

Sorry, I had a typo.... I applied early October, test was mid-November and ceremony was May. It was a long wait, and there were just over 200 becoming citizens at my ceremony.

Really , can we do that? They dont keep a tract of calls? I mean wont thy be pissed off ..í*¾í´”

I have not herd officially that they keep track, I suppose that every time you call they will take notes and add to your file... but I wouldn't let this stop you! if your innocently trying to change your appointment I suppose that's the only way.I remember when my husband had applied for a partner visa a few years ago I called immigration everyday for a update [emoji23] so I probably pissed them off but hey ho!

I was quite fortunate with my test, melbourne based applications can change appointments online so I was literally checking at work every 15min! But if I didn't have that option I would deffo be calling DIBP to check availability everyday,

Good luck! :)

Really , can we do that? They dont keep a tract of calls? I mean wont thy be pissed off ..

I called when I got 14th of March and asked. The person on the phone said nothing was available yesterday, but I should keep calling. I asked how often, weekly maybe? She said "anytime, there are always cancellations". Now I don't want to be a PITA, but yeah, I'm tempted to call as well. From November to mid-March seems like an awfully long wait. Just for the test, then ceremony waiting afterwards.

I called when I got 14th of March and asked. The person on the phone said nothing was available yesterday, but I should keep calling. I asked how often, weekly maybe? She said "anytime, there are always cancellations". Now I don't want to be a PITA, but yeah, I'm tempted to call as well. From November to mid-March seems like an awfully long wait. Just for the test, then ceremony waiting afterwards.

Oh ok .. i wil do the same then.. lets c .. thank you

Called them several times but no luck....does any one knows whether i will be able to travel overseas after submitting application?

Same here .. funny thing is they did offer me a date bt 21 march .. hahaha .. mine was already 22.. so i didnt bother changing it.. i might try after a few days .. so annoying long wait ..if you said in form no u r not going .. then u have to check with department.. and let them know .. i think..

Edited by Chandan kaur