AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

My hubby and I have just applied for Citizenship ( currently on a PR visa in Queensland) and have sent all the documents required but immigration are not happy with our birth certs we sent ( born in the 70's). They are saying we have provided a short/extract certificate. It doesn't have our parents names on there and its not apparently considered a full UK birth certificate!!!! but this is all we have and have ever had.

Has anyone gone through this drama and can offer any advice please ?

My NZ born hubby born in the 1970s his birth certificate was also like this. Before we applied for pr he applied for a new one, problem solved. It should be easy enough to do you can apply online from what I can gather (I thought I had lost my uk birth certificate some years ago and looked into the process of getting a new one). Good luck.

My hubby and I have just applied for Citizenship ( currently on a PR visa in Queensland) and have sent all the documents required but immigration are not happy with our birth certs we sent ( born in the 70's). They are saying we have provided a short/extract certificate. It doesn't have our parents names on there and its not apparently considered a full UK birth certificate!!!! but this is all we have and have ever had.

Thats strange..... Though my birth certificate is not from The 70's it is only the short version as well with no parents names listed - I never had a issue, my application was approved and I'm now awaiting a ceremony date.

Im not sure if they already had a full one of mine on file from my Perm Residency Visa. If they still demand a full one you can purchase online from UK Registry & pay extra for express shipping as you won't want to delay your process :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know someone who this has happened to them aswell. They showed up to the test, got told they need a full birth certificate, and got turned away. Test rebooked for a couple of months time.

You can order a full birth certificate online here:

https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

Congratulations! :)

What documents did you end up presenting? Did they tell you anything about expected timeline for ceremony?

I brought along passport of entry and current passport for each person, birth certificate for each, marriage certificate, drivers license, Medicare card and the bank statement I had used when I applied. All fine. The lady thought it should be fine for Australia Day ceremony but wasn't sure. I think Centrelink have only recently started doing the tests not sure if they are involved with the ceremonies.

How do you know if I got apporoved? I was just reading the brochure thing the lady gave me and wondering this!

Some people were told on the spot by the CO but most get a letter in the mail a week or two later. I got mine about 2 weeks after my test date. As for ceremony dates, really depends on the council. Mine said sometime in January potentially.

Some people were told on the spot by the CO but most get a letter in the mail a week or two later. I got mine about 2 weeks after my test date. As for ceremony dates, really depends on the council. Mine said sometime in January potentially.

It must be a bit different when you have the test at Centrelink! There was no mention of approval just discussion on when the ceremony might be.

Hi all, I applied at the end of Oct/2016 and only received an email last week for a test appointment for June 2017 in Parramatta. Been calling every day but they always say there is nothing available. I am very disappointed that this process is going to take so long and specially when i see so many posts of people with a lot better times than me. I would understand that the ceremony would take long, but the tests? aren't they done every day and it is less than 1 hour? how many people can be applying for citizenship in Parramatta that there are no available dates?

Hi all, I applied at the end of Oct/2016 and only received an email last week for a test appointment for June 2017 in Parramatta. Been calling every day but they always say there is nothing available. I am very disappointed that this process is going to take so long and specially when i see so many posts of people with a lot better times than me. I would understand that the ceremony would take long, but the tests? aren't they done every day and it is less than 1 hour? how many people can be applying for citizenship in Parramatta that there are no available dates?

I suggest pick another centre (Canberra, Sydney or even up North i.e. Brisbane etc), if they give that option.

I tried this, they wouldn't even let me pick Rural WA let alone another State.

Interesting. I could not see any restriction on the website for choosing a different test centre. Were you told that choosing different centre was not allowed or because no places were available at the other centres?

Don't give up! Try 2-3x a day, morning is good cause that's usually when people cancel, but anytime really. Also try moving to CBD, they're doing March -April now.

Don't give up! Try 2-3x a day, morning is good cause that's usually when people cancel, but anytime really. Also try moving to CBD, they're doing March -April now.

Thanks mate. So, I called today and they had one available for 10 days before my original date, still almost 6 months away. I changed it, but now, I'm in doubt if I should keep calling every day, I don't want to be a pest and now I don't know if they will be willing to change my dates again :P

Hi Guys

Date applied: 02/05/2016

Council: City of Gosnells (Perth)

Online/Paper: Online

Acknowledgement Email: 03/05/2016

Citizenship test email:06/05//16

Citizenship Test: 09/08/16

Date of Approval: 17/10/16

Date of Ceremony: 07/12/16

I have sung Advance Australia Fair many times. But singing it on the 7th of Dec 2016 as a Citizen was very special indeed.

We are grateful to this forum. Our journey was for 8 years. Thanks to all for the support.

Thanks mate. So, I called today and they had one available for 10 days before my original date, still almost 6 months away. I changed it, but now, I'm in doubt if I should keep calling every day, I don't want to be a pest and now I don't know if they will be willing to change my dates again :P

Yes - keep calling. I did my test today. They told me that I still had both previous bookings under my name so they released them then. I figure it's not just me who has this - every day there would be cancellations but also people showing up to a rescheduled test, still holding old dates. Just be nice when you do call. They don't ask for a name otherwise so it's not like they can match you to ALL your calls. I got March 14 originally, rescheduled for 7th of March, then 15 December on the same day - morning and mid-day.

Got my ceremony invite a couple days ago for Brisbane. Ceremony is in a suburban high school and not City Hall which I was surprised at.

Date applied - 7/7/2016

City/Council area - Brisbane City Council

Online / Paper - Online

Date received the acknowledgement email - Not received. But got letter 20th July

Date of the Citizenship Test - 16/8/2016

Approval letter dated - 31/8/2016 but received 5th Sep

Date of ceremony - 26th January 2017