AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

Hi All, the immigration requirement is "
You must be in Australia when the department makes a decision about your application". when one can go overseas? does it mean one must not leave the country until ceremony is attended OR the application is approved and waiting on Ceremony. Cheers

I Believe you can travel overseas once you have received the approval letter, However, you should inform the immi regarding your travel dates.

Hi, I applied on the 24th October and we are also Bunbury area.

Have you had any luck? Was hoping for Australia Day ceremony

1. Date applied: 20/07/2016
  2. City/Council area: Bunbury WA
  3. Online / Paper: Online
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email: 20/07/2016
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test: TBA
  6. Date of ceremony: TBA
  7. Type of ceremony (Urgent/Normal)

Hi all, I applied in July and still haven't heard anything.

Cheers

Hi All, the immigration requirement is "
You must be in Australia when the department makes a decision about your application". when one can go overseas? does it mean one must not leave the country until ceremony is attended OR the application is approved and waiting on Ceremony. Cheers

I Believe you can travel overseas once you have received the approval letter, However, you should inform the immi regarding your travel dates.

Thanks stirlingperth. Not sure if I can get the exact dates, its work related with unknown dates.

Edited by MaggieMay24

I am travelling overseas for a week soon and haven't informed DIBP. I have my approval letter but no ceremony date as yet.

I think the only issue is whether you are in the country when the ceremony is. If not then just postpone to a later ceremony. Also, remember that as soon as you have the ceremony your Australian visa is cancelled. This means that if you have any international travel coming up shortly after you will need an Aussie passport.

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know that I became a citizen yesterday afternoon and it all went well. The ceremony was lovely, out doors, under a nice shade. There were about 57 recipients and most of them had taken their test in July around the same time as I did. Such a special day; we received some Australian souvenirs such as vegemite, a native plant, a caramel Freddo.

I went home with my certificate, all the goodies, a sweet memory, and a bottle of Bollinger :-)

I'll be applying for my passport on Monday and then fingers crossed all done.

Good luck to everyone here! xx

Finally an update for me!

Date Applied: 28/06/16

City council: Broome shire but it gets sent to regional WA Perth office

Acknowledgement received moments after applying

More info requested: 01/11/16

Form 1195 posted to regional WA office as per CO request: 02/11/16

Citizenship test received via email: 25/11/16

Date of citizenship test: 08/12/16

Less than 2 weeks til my test, I've been waiting almost 5 months so pleased finally some progress. My kids are 6 & 8 will they be granted citizenship after my test date since they don't have to do the test or ceremony?

Less than 2 weeks til my test, I've been waiting almost 5 months so pleased finally some progress. My kids are 6 & 8 will they be granted citizenship after my test date since they don't have to do the test or ceremony?

Yes they will be approved after you take test.

Even if they chnge it .. they will give a time in advance.. i dnt think it will apply to us... as they havnt announced from when . But who knows.. still havnt heard from immi.. but my friends who applied as well .. said they got thier emails for test after 2-3 weeks of applying .. bt one of them for February.. so slow

You mean one of your friend has applied in February and still hasnt received the test date? :sad:

Even if they chnge it .. they will give a time in advance.. i dnt think it will apply to us... as they havnt announced from when . But who knows.. still havnt heard from immi.. but my friends who applied as well .. said they got thier emails for test after 2-3 weeks of applying .. bt one of them for February.. so slow

Is it possible for someone living in Perth, to chose a test venue in another state or town to bring it forward

Is it possible for someone living in Perth, to chose a test venue in another state or town to bring it forward

Wow .. i thought i wanted citizenship early.. hmm.. call and ask immi ... personally i dont think so ..thr will be a way like that...but if its me i would rather wait in prrth than spending money and gng to another state.. by the way whn did u apply and name of council?

Hi All,

I applied for our family citizenship on 23rd October 2016, had acknowledgement email but no other contact.

Due to family illness we will now be going back to the Uk in Feb for a long period of time.

If it hasn't gone through by then... which i doubt very much reading everyones timelines, Will they refund the money if we have no choice but to go back without ?

Thanks

Wow .. i thought i wanted citizenship early.. hmm.. call and ask immi ... personally i dont think so ..thr will be a way like that...but if its me i would rather wait in prrth than spending money and gng to another state.. by the way whn did u apply and name of council?

A lot in rush to get this milestone achieved. Perth CBD. applied 7 Nov. waiting....

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know that I became a citizen yesterday afternoon and it all went well. The ceremony was lovely, out doors, under a nice shade. There were about 57 recipients and most of them had taken their test in July around the same time as I did. Such a special day; we received some Australian souvenirs such as vegemite, a native plant, a caramel Freddo.

I went home with my certificate, all the goodies, a sweet memory, and a bottle of Bollinger :-)

I'll be applying for my passport on Monday and then fingers crossed all done.

Good luck to everyone here! xx

Congratulations!! That's definitely an awesome feeling and what a way to mark the end of a long journey from PR to Citizenship :) The passport office's service is simply stellar and if you apply today with priority processing, your passport will in all likelihood be ready by Wednesday (latest Thursday). All the very best to you and happy holidays :)

Edited by Catalyst2012
typo

your kids do not become citizens until you become a citizen. So although they do not have to physically attend the ceremony, their citizenship is dependent on when you become a citizen. They will not get their citizenship certificate until you have finish attending the ceremony yourself.