AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

1 hour ago, Naninani1 said:

Great congratulations :)

Can i ask what is the email you used for contacting thf immigration officers?

I don't think I used a specific email, but the contact form on their website. It is not easy to find though :) https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/corporate/information/forms/online/citizenship-elodgement-enquiry-form

Oh and they don't like people contacting them requesting update of status etc so I sent something in the spirit of 'I am aware of the processing times, however wanted to make sure that the documents I submitted are sufficient and there is nothing from my side I should still submit.'

Edited by AnneOz

13 hours ago, Ken said:

If the date you emigrated was the first time you visited Australia then you'll have to wait 4 years. If however you visited previously then you can back date your 4 year resident period to up to a year before you arrived. The reason being that the residence period is 4 years but you can be out of the country for up to 12 months of that period - and there's nothing to say it can't be the first 12 months of that 4 year period. You don't need to be in Australia on the first day of your residence period (or on any of the first 365 provided you haven't left the country since arriving) but you do need to have been in Australia at some point over 4 years ago and can't have been in Australia illegally at any point in the previous 4 years (includes period on certain bridging visas) as that restarts the clock. I think there was also some catch that meant this didn't work for people who came out on 457s - but I don't remember why. But get it all right and you only actually need to have lived in Australia for 3 years before being eligible to apply for citizenship. Put the correct dates into the citizenship calculator and it should show this for you.

Thanks for your response Ken. I’m still a bit confused to be honest m! Sorry mate. Quick run down. I first came to Australia back in 2007 on a working holiday left in 2009. We actually moved back for good May 7th 2015. My visa was granted March 20th 2015. I came on holiday in October 2014 while my application was being processed. So do I fit the criteria? I’ve been out of the country in the 3 years for a total of 6 weeks.

Thanks for your help. 

22 minutes ago, Rikkeskill said:

Thanks for your response Ken. I’m still a bit confused to be honest m! Sorry mate. Quick run down. I first came to Australia back in 2007 on a working holiday left in 2009. We actually moved back for good May 7th 2015. My visa was granted March 20th 2015. I came on holiday in October 2014 while my application was being processed. So do I fit the criteria? I’ve been out of the country in the 3 years for a total of 6 weeks.

Thanks for your help. 

I'd use this calculator with your specific dates. https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/ente/retu/residence-calculator

Edited by AnneOz

55 minutes ago, Vinnyrussell said:

@Rikkeskill if you follow the link that @AnneOz has supplied it will give you everything, if you have not been in Australia as a resident for 4 years then you would not be able to apply for citizenship, probably May next year mate. 

Not quite as his first entry will count then in three years plus the 6 weeks out of the country he will qualify.  You are allowed 1 year in total out of Australia in the 4 years before applying.  We used this criteria and are sitting our test next month.

The calculator will give you a date.  Give it a week or so beyond this just to be certain as entry/exit days can be an issue then apply.

2 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Not quite as his first entry will count then in three years plus the 6 weeks out of the country he will qualify.  You are allowed 1 year in total out of Australia in the 4 years before applying.  We used this criteria and are sitting our test next month.

The calculator will give you a date.  Give it a week or so beyond this just to be certain as entry/exit days can be an issue then apply.

The criteria is holding valid visas for 4 years continuously with the last year on PR. The one year out only counts if you have a validated visa for the whole of that year.

His start date is probably May 7th 2015 unless the tourist visa was still valid until he got the PR in March 2015. So at best he's not eligible until October 2018 but more likely May 2019.

The calculator is only useful if you understand what the dates mean.

On ‎8‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:46, AnneOz said:

Hi guys, I'm giving you my timeline so far

Online application applied on 07-10-2017

Acknowledgement email on 07-10-2017

Test date email - 27-04-2018

Test Date 07-05-2018

Approved in online immi account - 08-05-2018

Approval Letter ..-- none yet 

Ceremony Date -- none yet 

Congrats @AnneOz, our test date is end May. Did you arrange for an earlier test date? Or that was the original test date given to you?

21 hours ago, Rorz said:

I received good news today. Letter received today and my test / interview is tomorrow! Not much notice but after a 12 month wait im not complaining. Applied May 2017. Paper based application. NSW applicant. British background. Hoping for a quick turnaround on the ceremony date so I can apply for my passport and be eligible for the socceroos at this years world cup. Im pretty handy as a centre forward. 

Congrats @Rorz. For sure you will nail the test.

Edited by Zet01

2 minutes ago, Zet01 said:

Congrats @AnneOz, our test date is end May. Did you arrange for an earlier test date? Or that was the original test date given to you?

Thank you! So much more relaxed now! It was the original date, I figured it was just a week later so couldn't be bothered with changing it :)

3 minutes ago, AnneOz said:

Thank you! So much more relaxed now! It was the original date, I figured it was just a week later so couldn't be bothered with changing it :)

I have been reading the Common Bond booklet to ready ourselves for the test. Our test date was more than a month after the test invite, but I am not complaining. I am happy to know our application is moving.

I can't wait to sit on the test.  Congratulations again :)

12 minutes ago, Zet01 said:

I have been reading the Common Bond booklet to ready ourselves for the test. Our test date was more than a month after the test invite, but I am not complaining. I am happy to know our application is moving.

I can't wait to sit on the test.  Congratulations again :)

Exactly :) Congrats to you too! If you read the booklet and practise some online tests you should be fine. I found the test really easy

Edited by AnneOz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, AnneOz said:

I don't think I used a specific email, but the contact form on their website. It is not easy to find though :) https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/about/corporate/information/forms/online/citizenship-elodgement-enquiry-form

Oh and they don't like people contacting them requesting update of status etc so I sent something in the spirit of 'I am aware of the processing times, however wanted to make sure that the documents I submitted are sufficient and there is nothing from my side I should still submit.'

Thanks very much :) 

19 hours ago, daus said:

Update :

PR Date : 18 Oct 2016
Citizenship application : 25 Oct 2017
Acknowledgement : 25 Oct 2017
Date Test Email received: 9 May 2018
Date of test: 18 June 2018

Hi Daus,

are you based in NSW ? if yes, looks like immigration is processing Oct application based in NSW.

Passed my citizenship test on Wednesday. Have been told the likely wait for a ceremony date will be 3-6 months. Using positive thinking Im putting the vibes out for a ceremony end of June at the latest. Good luck to all still waiting. Hang in there. It comes eventually. 

14 minutes ago, Rorz said:

Passed my citizenship test on Wednesday. Have been told the likely wait for a ceremony date will be 3-6 months. Using positive thinking Im putting the vibes out for a ceremony end of June at the latest. Good luck to all still waiting. Hang in there. It comes eventually. 

Congrats! Lol I was told 6-9 months. I think this is just a very standard thing they need to say (I strongly suspect their system gives them an indication of ETA taking into account the standard processing time and the time from app to test, e.g. 16 months less 7 months till test = 9 months, so they give you 6-9 months). Obv depends on the council and the number of ceremonies and people :) Hopefully sooner than that!!

Edited by AnneOz

4 hours ago, AnneOz said:

Congrats! Lol I was told 6-9 months. I think this is just a very standard thing they need to say (I strongly suspect their system gives them an indication of ETA taking into account the standard processing time and the time from app to test, e.g. 16 months less 7 months till test = 9 months, so they give you 6-9 months). Obv depends on the council and the number of ceremonies and people :) Hopefully sooner than that!!

Thanks @AnneOzI hope so too. I wonder why they gave me an appointment out in Parramatta for the test when you got one in the CBD? CBD is much closer to my house. Warringah council area. Anyhoo not complaining its done and i am near the end of a very long, expensive and stressful journey but worth it all in the end. 

Edited by Rorz

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:42, Rorz said:

Congrats @Rorz. You are on the last part of your application.

We hope to pass the test too in 2 weeks time.

Can someone please help me with the following question?

I will be applying for the citizenship on 20th June 2018. Should I get Identity Declaration, and recent passport size photographs now? or Do I need to wait till 20th June 2018 to get Identity Declaration, and recent passport size photographs at that time?

29 minutes ago, ArsalanAhmad said:

Can someone please help me with the following question?

I will be applying for the citizenship on 20th June 2018. Should I get Identity Declaration, and recent passport size photographs now? or Do I need to wait till 20th June 2018 to get Identity Declaration, and recent passport size photographs at that time?

I have prepared those documents prior to my citizenship lodgement. No need to wait for the 20th June.  

• Like 1

So in applied in October 2017, got an email late month and passed the test. However during the interview the assessor asked if I was applying for an exemption for the time spent in Australia (I wasn't) since the computer was telling her that I hadn't spent enough time in the country to apply (Incorrect). Anyway, luckily I had evidence for having been employed and having a tax number in Australia in the month I arrived (I'm on the paranoid side so I took loads of random documents with me) but even that may not have cleared me. They let me sit the test but the entire process is still awaiting official approval because of the computer system suddenly incorrectly deciding I didn't have enough time in Oz. I thought you couldn't even apply without the right amount of time on the clock?

I'm still waiting for an answer for the outcome over the last month but nothing so far ?