AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP TIMELINES 2018-2019

FlashP5sub175

Please sign this petition from Tony Burke sign on to the campaign

Last night we saw the best evidence that we are winning the citizenship campaign. The minister responsible for the unfair changes couldn’t defend them. In fact he even lied about his own government’s policy to try to make himself look reasonable.

On ABC’s Q&A program, the Minister for Citizenship unable to defend his own Government’s policy to change the citizenship legislation and so he resorted to misrepresenting them.

Under pressure from Labor’s Clare O’Neil, Minister Tudge referred to his own legislation as requiring ‘conversational’ level English. As you are aware from following this campaign, the Government has continued to insist that the costly IELTS test be used. This test is not about conversational level English. For example it requires the applicant be able to write an essay. This is hardly how you test conversational level English.

CLARE O’NEIL: We need people to be able to function here of course but requiring people to speak university level English is ridiculous.
MINISTER TUDGE: We’re not saying that. It’s conversational English, Clare.

clare_oneil.png

Legislation the Government introduced to the Parliament last year demanded the same test and the same entrance mark that is required for university level English. Either Minister Tudge doesn’t know his own policy or he felt free to completely misrepresent it on live television.

The legislation was later withdrawn by Peter Dutton after being rejected in the Senate. This is another example of members of the Liberal Party saying one thing in front of a multicultural audience while doing something completely different when they are in Canberra.

When a policy is so bad that the only way a Minister can defend it is to completely misrepresent it then it’s time for the Government’s citizenship changes to be abandoned altogether. We are with you on this.

Please share this email with your friends and encourage them to sign on to the campaign here:www.tonyburke.com.au/get-active/citizenshippetition .
Edited by ArsalanAhmad
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, avatar said:

Hi guys, I have a question; Is any possibility to take my citizenship appointment and test with an expired passport but only with confirmation letter taken from my consulate department showing that I have applied for new pasport and it’s in process, or I have to reschedule my test appointment until I will get mu new passport.

Thanks

Since you won't need to travel overseas to attend your citizenship appointment you won't need a current passport. It's a good idea to have up to date photo ID but a drivers licence is adequate for that. If you are not planning to travel overseas it's perfectly normal to not have an up to date passport.

You do need to take with you to the appointment the originals of all the documents you submitted with your application. I assume that would include your expired passport but you won't have sent them a copy of your new passport if you haven't received it yet.

10 hours ago, donnapow said:

Has my citizenship ceremony today :)

how long until I can apply for a passport online after citizenship ?

They recommend waiting 10 days but apparently many people apply immediately without any problems. I think the 10 day recommendation has been around for years - back when the old manual systems were used they needed time to update the records but I think it's all done instantaneously these days.

17 hours ago, Ken said:

Since you won't need to travel overseas to attend your citizenship appointment you won't need a current passport. It's a good idea to have up to date photo ID but a drivers licence is adequate for that. If you are not planning to travel overseas it's perfectly normal to not have an up to date passport.

You do need to take with you to the appointment the originals of all the documents you submitted with your application. I assume that would include your expired passport but you won't have sent them a copy of your new passport if you haven't received it yet.

Thank you Ken

On 10/04/2018 at 16:31, Zet01 said:

Looks like things are moving for those who applied in August 2017. We applied October, I hope we get a test invite in May/June.

Likewise - applied end of Oct 17 and got a call today as they were looking through my form (I've moved state in between so they were wondering if I wanted a NSW test and ceremony instead of a VIC one which I was glad they offered - I didn't want to ask myself in case it meant I went to the back of the queue!).  I asked if they knew how soon and they seemed to think that it should be in May. 

Guys 

I thought i share my timeline to see if people are still waiting for their files to open 

Online application applied on 21-04-2017

Acknowledgement email in August 2017 

Test Date 19-12-2017

Approval Letter ..-- no response yet 

Ceremony Date -- no response yet 

Guys anyone know whats the possibility of this delay and how soon things will start rolling as i am bit worried now

2 minutes ago, rammygirl said:

My son applied April 20th in SA. Took test in November approved straight away and attended ceremony on Australia Day in Norwood this year.

We applied in December also Adelaide nothing yet. 

Good update. Your Son is Lucky. Am sure you guys will hear something soon.

13 minutes ago, samit said:

Hello everyone got my application approved on 13/04/2018.

Applied on 20/10/2017

Test date on 11/12/2017

Waiting for council for invitation 

Hi,

May I ask which council?

1. Date applied - August 24th 2017
  2. City/Council area - Gold Coast City Council
  3. Online / Paper - Paper
  4. Date received the acknowledgement email - 29th August 217
  5. Date of the Citizenship Test - 20th December 2017
  6. Date of Approval - 3rd April 2018
  7. Date of ceremony 16th May 2018