PRs who never bother to take out citizenship

starlight7

18 hours ago, SWMOY04 said:

So...just a quick question... I went for years without taking on British citizenship... i travelled frequently on the Indefinite Leave to Remain visa...

Does this mean the 189 (and other permanent visas) dont allow me to travel for holidays and return to Aus without a RRV?

Hi, you can travel on your 189 for 5 years, the expiry date of that travel portion will be on your letter. After that, if you leave you can’t get back in without the rrv. They come through really quick if you meet the 2 years in Australia requirement. The cost a few hundred dollars each time. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Johndoe said:

Likely wasting typing time here but:

"ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

Those who don't consider it to be "your country" are welcome to continue "as is" but please bugger off as soon as means afford 🙂

We fully intend to follow your kind advice and return to the UK when we retire Kev. I came here because my (Australian) wife was homesick and depressed in London, and truly it was the best thing we ever did. Coming to live out here brought my wife out of a very dark place emotionally and probably saved our marriage. Melbourne has afforded us a good life as a family so I have absolutely no regrets around coming out here. But, I've never been lucky enough to make friends here or to make any real connection with the place beyond the superficial. That's no reflection on Australia or myself, it's just one of those things.

Over the years, my wife has come around to having another go at life in England, particularly as it'll be near what's left of my family on the Wirral and not in London this time. In effect, she's willing to mirror the committment that I made to her 11 years ago when I came to Australia, in order to hopefully give me a few years on home soil before I cark it. 😀 

• Like 6

On 27/03/2019 at 11:40, SWMOY04 said:

So...just a quick question... I went for years without taking on British citizenship... i travelled frequently on the Indefinite Leave to Remain visa...

Does this mean the 189 (and other permanent visas) dont allow me to travel for holidays and return to Aus without a RRV?

That's right.   That's why I got citizenship as soon as I was eligible.  If you don't, you've got to go through the rigmarole of applying for a new RRV every five years.  

• Thanks 1

I got mine after two years,as quick as I could.

Didn' t know if I would stay here but thought it would be handy.

Didn' t cost anything then in the early 1980s so didn't seem a problem.Never regretted it,didn' t fancy the hassle of return visas,also free then I think.

Dropped the UK passport as it seemed pointless paying for 2 passports.For people that have to give up the residency of their country of birth it would be a major problem,and I can understand it.

No intention of leaving Australia so it all turned out well,but it will always be each to their own.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Saurer Pfirsich said:

We fully intend to follow your kind advice and return to the UK when we retire Kev. I came here because my (Australian) wife was homesick and depressed in London, and truly it was the best thing we ever did. Coming to live out here brought my wife out of a very dark place emotionally and probably saved our marriage. Melbourne has afforded us a good life as a family so I have absolutely no regrets around coming out here. But, I've never been lucky enough to make friends here or to make any real connection with the place beyond the superficial. That's no reflection on Australia or myself, it's just one of those things.

Over the years, my wife has come around to having another go at life in England, particularly as it'll be near what's left of my family on the Wirral and not in London this time. In effect, she's willing to mirror the committment that I made to her 11 years ago when I came to Australia, in order to hopefully give me a few years on home soil before I cark it. 😀 

Wow - this sounds just like my situation except is was my Aussie hubby who was homesick after 15 years in the UK.  I have now done nearly 11 years here but desperately hope to return to the UK once the kids are off our hands.  My hubby is also fine now with a return as he found Australia and Australians were not as good as his memories.  He thinks the country is too Americanised now....

As my husband took UK citizenship while living in the UK and our kids are dual nationals, I thought it best to hold the same citizenships as the rest of the family so we can all come and go at will.

• Like 5

On 28/03/2019 at 00:31, Johndoe said:

Those who don't consider it to be "your country" are welcome to continue "as is" but please bugger off as soon as means afford 🙂

If that's the Aussie attitude and welcome, I completely understand the resistance to becoming an Australian.  Not something I aspire to be.

Edited by unzippy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

I have been in Oz 3.5 years and was looking to do my Citizenship this year.  My full PR Visa was granted in March 2015 but I didn't arrive in Melbourne until Aug 2015.  I have been here ever since with small trips to the UK and meet all other requirements to proceed except actually being in Oz for 3.5 not the full 4 years. 

It is my understand I cannot apply until Aug this year and the wait can be up to 2 years, to process.  Has anyone had any recent experience with this process, can this be done any quicker?

Thanks

Andrew

28 minutes ago, andrewajp002 said:

Hi All

I have been in Oz 3.5 years and was looking to do my Citizenship this year.  My full PR Visa was granted in March 2015 but I didn't arrive in Melbourne until Aug 2015.  I have been here ever since with small trips to the UK and meet all other requirements to proceed except actually being in Oz for 3.5 not the full 4 years. 

It is my understand I cannot apply until Aug this year and the wait can be up to 2 years, to process.  Has anyone had any recent experience with this process, can this be done any quicker?

Thanks

Andrew

You cannot apply until you meet the requirements in August. Who knows how long it will take then. Hopefully the system will get a shake up after the recent review which slated it for being poorly administered and not meeting targets. We applied December 2017 and had our ceremony in August 2018, but some who applied around this time have still not had the ceremony! It seems that some applications have been on hold for no apparent reason which is causing unacceptable delays.

You will be able to check nearer the time on the processing timeframes. You might however need an RRV if you need to travel after March 2020 and your citizenship hasn’t been conferred at a ceremony. Once you have it you will need an Australian passport. 

On 28/03/2019 at 01:01, Phoenix16 said:

there is a guy on the New Jersey franchise who moved to USA with his parents  aged 1,  never took out USA citizenship, committed mortgage fraud 40 years later and got 4 years, he’s just completed his sentence and has now been removed to a deportation centre and is being deported back to Italy.  His wife, 4 children, parents, siblings, extended family etc are all staying in the USA, he cannot speak Italian and has no family there.  It is sad, and all of this for mortgage fraud...

Though getting Australian citizenship would not stop you from being deported after serving a criminal sentence - they would just strip you of it if they wish.

• Like 1

On Wednesday, March 27, 2019 at 07:37, s713 said:

To be fair, I couldn't be arsed, the form is too big. Plus, what do I get out of it? The chance to vote for a new PM every 6 weeks? Whoopee.

If you retire here you'll get the Aussie pension. Well worth a bit of paperwork.