UK Passports

Fisher1

Hi all

I've just realised that although my passport has a good year to run, I will need to renew it before I can travel in Europe after Brexit.  I've just checked the UK govt web site and it seems to be telling me that I have to send all my documents, including my existing passport, back to the UK for renewal. Surely this can't be right? If it is right, can anyone tell me how much it costs and how long it takes before your shiny new UK passport arrives (presumably with a nice blue cover, yay, I'm already enjoying all this freedom.) Thanks for your help.

Procedure changed on 31st Jan, previously everything was done in NZ, but now it's Liverpool, UK.  They say to allow 4-6 weeks plus postage time.  Cost according to the UK government online calculator is 86 quid plus 20 courier fee (will be converted to AUD by your credit card).

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/apply/how-to-apply has the details if you haven't already found it.  The passport fee seems to have lowered a fair bit if that's correct.  Didn't it used to be over $300?

• Thanks 1

Hi all
I've just realised that although my passport has a good year to run, I will need to renew it before I can travel in Europe after Brexit.  I've just checked the UK govt web site and it seems to be telling me that I have to send all my documents, including my existing passport, back to the UK for renewal. Surely this can't be right? If it is right, can anyone tell me how much it costs and how long it takes before your shiny new UK passport arrives (presumably with a nice blue cover, yay, I'm already enjoying all this freedom.) Thanks for your help.

I didn’t think they’d arranged blue passports [emoji848]
But my OH sent his off as a priority one, you pay more obviously but he needed it quickly. We had his existing and new passports sent from the U.K. and in our hands no more than one week after posting from Brisbane.

Thanks Yorkie, I’ve got plenty of time, just a bit surprised because we’re holiday in gin Europe at the end of August and my passport doesn’t run out till the following year ... do you mind me asking how much it cost to get it done from here? I can’t seem to find a price list on the UK gov site.

1 hour ago, Eera said:

Procedure changed on 31st Jan, previously everything was done in NZ, but now it's Liverpool, UK.  They say to allow 4-6 weeks plus postage time.  Cost according to the UK government online calculator is 86 quid plus 20 courier fee (will be converted to AUD by your credit card).

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/apply/how-to-apply has the details if you haven't already found it.  The passport fee seems to have lowered a fair bit if that's correct.  Didn't it used to be over $300?

Sorry Eera,  I saw this after I replied to LouDyorkie. I’m quite pleasantly surprised if this is correct ... I seem to remember the last one costing more than this when I was in Belgium!  Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fisher1 said:

Hi all

Who told you you would have to renew your passport before you travel after Brexit ?

I'm sure they are not saying every holder of a British Passport has to renew it because of Brexit are they ? Even if the rules have changed I don't think they would make everyone get a new passport.

There won't be Blue passports yet either I don't think. Brexit hasn't happened yet. Have they said Blue passports will be issued immediately after Brexit ?

1 hour ago, Fisher1 said:

Thanks Yorkie, I’ve got plenty of time, just a bit surprised because we’re holiday in gin Europe at the end of August and my passport doesn’t run out till the following year ... do you mind me asking how much it cost to get it done from here? I can’t seem to find a price list on the UK gov site.

The rules have not changed on when to renew passports. The only thing thats changed is that they now have to go to the UK. 

I think if the UK leaves the EU with "no deal", passports will require 6 months left from the date of arrival, also any extra months added if renewed early may not count (no longer applies when renewing), this only applies to EU countries.  Google renewing a UK passport after Brexit, (GOV.UK), the blue passports are due in October, who knows!!  I understand they will not be like the old style blue passports, no idea what will happen if we leave with a "deal",  yes the cost of renewing a UK passport has dropped, as family discovered, however, renew before the passport expires, it's a pain if you don't, you have to start from "scratch",  as family discovered, hope this helps.

Edited by skippy2009
grammar
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Parley said:

Who told you you would have to renew your passport before you travel after Brexit ?

To enter the EU your passport must be under 10 year old. Mine was valid for 10 year and 9 months. So once it hit 10 I could use it in the EU even though it had 9 full months left. I visited the Netherlands a few weeks ago and the border agent told me. I since found this.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/travelling-to-the-eu-with-a-uk-passport-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/travelling-to-the-eu-with-a-uk-passport-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

I have just renewed my passport in the UK before I got to Australia. They received it in the post on Monday and issued a new one on the Thursday. Super quick. They keep you informed of the progress by text and email. The application process was easy as well. I am actually impressed - a government agency has done a good job for once!

Edited by JetBlast
  • Thanks 1

I think if the UK leaves the EU with "no deal", passports will require 6 months left from the date of arrival, also any extra months added if renewed early may not count (no longer applies when renewing), this only applies to EU countries.  Google renewing a UK passport after Brexit, (GOV.UK)

Yes, I have seen this. Obviously even the government are having to speculate until such time that we find out whether leaving is with or without a deal.[emoji849]
So really the OP might need to provide more info, is their current passport for more than 10 years?
If they have 12 months left and say 9 months of that is the early renewal time added on, they essentially only have 3 months left, which is less than the 6 months required for travelling in Europe.

18 hours ago, Parley said:

I'm sure they are not saying every holder of a British Passport has to renew it because of Brexit are they ? Even if the rules have changed I don't think they would make everyone get a new passport.

There won't be Blue passports yet either I don't think. Brexit hasn't happened yet. Have they said Blue passports will be issued immediately after Brexit ?

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

What makes you think that?

Hi all,    If you go onto the UK govt website and look up passports you will see that, as other posters have alre@dy said (thanks for that) in the event of a no deal brexit your passport has to have minimum six months left on it before travelling out of the UK to other European countries. 

By the time I go to the UK I will have nine months left, but six of those months were added on when I renewed my passport early ten years ago in order to have six months left after a trip to Australia.

Apparently, if you have added months on your passport they don’t count in this instance. This means I would have to renew as I am planning to visit friends in Spain. The govt website advises that you don’t book travel before getting your passport sorted ...

PS. Parley,  I really don’t care what colour my passport is. I was being ironic. Alright then, I was beiing grumpy.

Edited by Fisher1
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, JetBlast said:

I have just renewed my passport in the UK before I got to Australia. They received it in the post on Monday and issued a new one on the Thursday. Super quick. They keep you informed of the progress by text and email. The application process was easy as well. I am actually impressed - a government agency has done a good job for once!

It arrived today (Saturday). Im impressed!

• Like 1

On 22/02/2019 at 21:13, skippy2009 said:

I think if the UK leaves the EU with "no deal", passports will require 6 months left from the date of arrival, also any extra months added if renewed early may not count (no longer applies when renewing), this only applies to EU countries.  Google renewing a UK passport after Brexit, (GOV.UK), the blue passports are due in October, who knows!!  I understand they will not be like the old style blue passports, no idea what will happen if we leave with a "deal",  yes the cost of renewing a UK passport has dropped, as family discovered, however, renew before the passport expires, it's a pain if you don't, you have to start from "scratch",  as family discovered, hope this helps.

It didn't make any difference when I renewed mine last year, it had expired 6 months before or my daughter's whose had been expired for a couple of years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, welljock said:

It didn't make any difference when I renewed mine last year, it had expired 6 months before or my daughter's whose had been expired for a couple of years.

Maybe things have changed, this was a couple years ago, my family live in Australia, have Australian citizenship, not sure when their UK passports expired, just mentioned it as that was their experience.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fisher1 said:

This is information about what to do in the event of a no deal brexit.

I don't think anyone knows what will happen with a no deal brexit. Could be we all need new ones, as our current ones are EU passports. I guess we'll see. Fortunately my next holiday is booked for Cornwall.

• Like 1

On 27/02/2019 at 22:58, newjez said:

I don't think anyone knows what will happen with a no deal brexit. Could be we all need new ones, as our current ones are EU passports. I guess we'll see. Fortunately my next holiday is booked for Cornwall.

It’s on the UK govt website ... although I wouldn’t believe a word anyone in the UK government said at the moment ...