Moving Back to the UK from Australia - Positive Stories

Guest The Pom Queen

6 hours ago, Pollywaffle said:

Hello - a newbie here.  My husband and I have lived in Australia for 17 years....But we have have had two dogs in that time..our boy left us last year at 14 and our girl is 12 in a couple of weeks time. We have decided to wait until she goes before we return to UK. 

How old are you?   If you are planning to move back, then you need to start looking at things like pensions.

If you leave Australia before you reach pensionable age, you will never be able to claim your Australian aged pension.  If that's likely to be an issue, then you need to look into whether you can claim any UK pension and whether you could top it up - and of course, it may make a difference to whether you can afford to go back.

All very valid points.  I'm 57 so I know what the implications are...have spoken to my super and also contacted the English Pensions.  They have worked out an amount based on how many years I worked in the UK - apparently I get it when I'm 67.  When I take my super out, I won't be taxed on the first 200k, but after that, I believe so - unless we stay until I'm 60.  Husband is seven years younger than me, but he doesn't care (if that's the right way of putting it) about the money.  Yes, all be very tight, but sometimes you have to balance things up ...fortunately we have enough for a home and then we'll have to work...but hopefully reduced hours and not in an office any more!!

With the sitting in our home..husband and I have tried everything to make a social life in Brisbane..joined clubs, volunteered etc....never worked out!  I think it's harder here if you don't have children...I realise that a lot of people get their social lives from things they do with their kids and their kids' friends parents - when we were back at Christmas we seemed to have a social life....albeit briefly.  I don't want to question any more whether there is something socially 'wrong' with my husband and myself.  We are both friendly and approachable..but that doesn't seem to matter and I don't want to feel that's our 'fault' any more.

Said enough..thanks for your interest...we'll get there..

• Like 2

It's good to hear that you feel more relaxed now too Amber Snowflake...It's just the bloody great workload inbetween that I'm finding daunting.  Also, 17 years here...you get used to life...will all be very strange when we live there again...

Thanks for your comments, AS

5 hours ago, Pollywaffle said:

It's good to hear that you feel more relaxed now too Amber Snowflake...It's just the bloody great workload inbetween that I'm finding daunting.  Also, 17 years here...you get used to life...will all be very strange when we live there again...

Thanks for your comments, AS

Oh yes I was overwhelmed on a number of occasions but it is doable. I had a list a mile long and put a date when each thing was booked/sorted. It really looked like it would never end...... then all of a sudden it was done! Itwas a shock. I suddenly had time  on my hands to do other things rather than plan my move! The day the list gets binned because it is finished is a spiritual moment! 😊

I’m sure there is nothing wrong with your social skills! I always say “Australians are friendly but not inclusive”. Very happy to chat but never any more than that. They tend to have family around and often large families and their group of friends and see no need to extend that.  My experience, my opinion. I met some very nice people whilst there.

Good luck with what you decide. As long as you make a decision with your eyes open as it were, so you know where you might be struggling or accept compromise in some way, as most of us have to do, then away you go. I’m working until I’m 67 also, but hoping to use my Aussie super at 60 to allow me to go part time then. Never going to be rich, but then I never have been so won’t miss it! I’m low budget, don’t travel much so just need enough to live on.

All the best!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I always say “Australians are friendly but not inclusive”.  They tend to have family around and often large families and their group of friends and see no need to extend that.  

I think that's just as true of people in the UK.  It's just something you don't notice until you leave your own family/friend group (to migrate) and have to try to break into other people's.  

Re your super - just be sure you get financial advice about your super, because although it's tax-free in Australia, it's not tax-free in the UK.   If you take it as a lump sum, you can lose a huge chunk to the Inland Revenue.  

33 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I think that's just as true of people in the UK.  It's just something you don't notice until you leave your own family/friend group (to migrate) and have to try to break into other people's.  

Re your super - just be sure you get financial advice about your super, because although it's tax-free in Australia, it's not tax-free in the UK.   If you take it as a lump sum, you can lose a huge chunk to the Inland Revenue.  

Yes, I’ve looked into that thanks and have a plan, unless the rules change between now and then.

’Ooop north’, people are pretty chummy! 🙂 Just my experience again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pollywaffle said:

All very valid points.  I'm 57 so I know what the implications are...have spoken to my super and also contacted the English Pensions.  They have worked out an amount based on how many years I worked in the UK - apparently I get it when I'm 67.  When I take my super out, I won't be taxed on the first 200k, but after that, I believe so - unless we stay until I'm 60.  Husband is seven years younger than me, but he doesn't care (if that's the right way of putting it) about the money.  Yes, all be very tight, but sometimes you have to balance things up ...fortunately we have enough for a home and then we'll have to work...but hopefully reduced hours and not in an office any more!!

With the sitting in our home..husband and I have tried everything to make a social life in Brisbane..joined clubs, volunteered etc....never worked out!  I think it's harder here if you don't have children...I realise that a lot of people get their social lives from things they do with their kids and their kids' friends parents - when we were back at Christmas we seemed to have a social life....albeit briefly.  I don't want to question any more whether there is something socially 'wrong' with my husband and myself.  We are both friendly and approachable..but that doesn't seem to matter and I don't want to feel that's our 'fault' any more.

Said enough..thanks for your interest...we'll get there..

We felt a bit like this in Aus, even with children. It wasn't that people weren't friendly, but we were continually held at arms length, even by the parents of our kids friends. I thought that there was something wrong with me, and then I just stopped trying. Since we moved to Scotland, where we've not lived before and have no family, we've all made a great group of friends, many of whom I would consider to be '3am friends' - the ones you could call at 3am in an emergency (and who you'd be happy to have call too). It may well have just been as simple as the fact that we were in Sydney (albeit an outlying suburb), where here we're in a village, but I really did struggle with the lack of friendship.

• Like 4

I think making friends must depend to a large extent where you live. I live on the Sunshine Coast. My husband was rushed to hospital yesterday, and my phone hasn’t stopped with friends and acquaintances phoning to offer any help I need to ring any time if I want a lift. I’m in awe at the kindness shown and sincerely meant. One of my close friends is a marvellous 92 year old who wanted to drive me to the hospital. How great is that. I was fine and could easily drive myself, I’m nowhere near 92! and our son came to be here.

Husband seems better luckily. Perhaps I should be worried how many female friends sent love and a hug!!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, ramot said:

I think making friends must depend to a large extent where you live. I live on the Sunshine Coast. My husband was rushed to hospital yesterday, and my phone hasn’t stopped with friends and acquaintances phoning to offer any help I need to ring any time if I want a lift. I’m in awe at the kindness shown and sincerely meant. One of my close friends is a marvellous 92 year old who wanted to drive me to the hospital. How great is that. I was fine and could easily drive myself, I’m nowhere near 92! and our son came to be here.

Husband seems better luckily. Perhaps I should be worried how many female friends sent love and a hug!!?

Good to know your husband is feeling better Ramot!  😀

As far as friends go, I'd never given it a thought until I read that folk on this forum had trouble making friends.  I am still in constant contact with friends I've had since school days then my teens.  Still in contact with a few people I made friends with in the different countries I worked in except for Switzerland - unfriendly lot they are. 😋  I didn't make any friends during the year I worked in London - could be because I met my OH there and also my sister was living in London so never felt the need for other friendships.  Made very good friends the years I lived in the Liverpool area and when we move to Australia I made a few very good friends and many not so close.  Now in Tassie and find most people friendly though the good friends I've made are also migrants from the mainland - one originally from Germany ex Sydney and one originally from Holland ex Sydney and a couple originally from the UK who settled in Qld for decades then moved here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Toots said:

Still in contact with a few people I made friends with in the different countries I worked in except for Switzerland - unfriendly lot they are.

Totally agree with the comment about Switzerland, like Toots, we have lived and worked in many places, Switzerland before coming here, once the Swiss think they know all your business you are just the person living down the road, unfortunately for them I speak German and often they would talk about you in German thinking we are just dumb English, they turned a bit pale when they found out I could understand what they were saying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Been back 6 weeks and loving it, have crammed so much in. Joined the National Trust and done a bit of travelling, had forgotten how beautiful the countryside is, and there is so much of it. We can take the dogs everywhere, buses, trains, in pubs, it's brilliant. Lots of local walks too. The weather has been fairly kind, about 3 or 4 days non-stop rain, the rest OK. To be honest, it isn't the issue I thought it would be, we just dress accordingly, pooches included. It was 17 degrees the other day and I was sweating cobs, definitely a different heat! Not really applied for any jobs yet just easing back in, the job market looks fairly buoyant though. There is a sense of 'home' about it, it feels a bit more natural to be with similar people, I used to feel like a bit of a neanderthal at times in Oz, here I come across as a semi-intelligent northern bloke, which I am very happy with. All in all, we are 'stoked' at the moment.

• Like 8
  • Congratulations 2

22 minutes ago, s713 said:

Been back 6 weeks and loving it, have crammed so much in. Joined the National Trust and done a bit of travelling, had forgotten how beautiful the countryside is, and there is so much of it. We can take the dogs everywhere, buses, trains, in pubs, it's brilliant. Lots of local walks too. The weather has been fairly kind, about 3 or 4 days non-stop rain, the rest OK. To be honest, it isn't the issue I thought it would be, we just dress accordingly, pooches included. It was 17 degrees the other day and I was sweating cobs, definitely a different heat! Not really applied for any jobs yet just easing back in, the job market looks fairly buoyant though. There is a sense of 'home' about it, it feels a bit more natural to be with similar people, I used to feel like a bit of a neanderthal at times in Oz, here I come across as a semi-intelligent northern bloke, which I am very happy with. All in all, we are 'stoked' at the moment.

Glad to hear it's all going well.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, s713 said:

Pleased to hear you're settling back in! We've been back 20 months now, and I don't regret coming back for a second. That's not to say that I regret moving to Australia at all, we had a great life there in the main, but Scotland is the first place I've felt truly at home.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, s713 said:

Welcome back @s713! I think you are up near me. I have been dripping with sweat some days at a hardly roasting 19! 😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toots said:

According to friends in the UK a very warm summer is forecast.  😀

It has been very pleasant, but as is the way it suddenly cools down, gets cloudy and we have had some heavy rain. I don’t mind, if you want it lovely and green it has to rain! 

I’ve been back nearly a year, cannot believe it! Winter really wasn’t a problem, I thought I might have been taken by surprise having been away for a while but it felt very short, it was cold but ok, just duffled up and just a small bit of snow. All very manageable.

From your descriptions it sounds much like Tassie! 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toots said:

According to friends in the UK a very warm summer is forecast.  😀

That’s what I heard. I’ve a slight tan at the minute, we’ve had some absolutely beautiful weather up here in Kinross!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LKC said:

That’s what I heard. I’ve a slight tan at the minute, we’ve had some absolutely beautiful weather up here in Kinross!

I have an all the year round light tan but I think it would be better to call it weather beaten.  😒  I really, really should take much better care of my skin.

So glad you are enjoying life in Scotland LKC. 😀

On 17/05/2019 at 07:46, s713 said:

That’s great, just how we felt when we came back in August 2017, still loving it, really settled well in our new home.  Dogs love it, nice walks, beaches etc.  My husband’s first job didn’t happen, it fell through at the last minute, but that was okay as we are a bit older we factored in a year plus to get a job, plus we had purchased our house so we were committed to an area.  So it took a year and two months before he actually became employed, but he only has another 5 years or so to retirement.  We still have the ‘it’s good to be back’ feeling, we will go back to Australia for a holiday towards the end of 2020 to see friends and family, but enjoyed the experience of living in Australia but feel happier and more relaxed being back in the UK. 

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new on here and it's so great to read all your positive news about moving back to the UK.    I have lived in  Perth for 12 years and am now in the process of selling my house and moving back to Kent.   I'm finding all the planning a bit overwhelming at the moment so any advice would be very welcome!!  

38 minutes ago, Linda C said:

Hi, I'm new on here and it's so great to read all your positive news about moving back to the UK.    I have lived in  Perth for 12 years and am now in the process of selling my house and moving back to Kent.   I'm finding all the planning a bit overwhelming at the moment so any advice would be very welcome!!  

My most important tip - don't close your Australian bank account or cancel your Australian credit cards, because you'll find you need it for a while after you move back.   There are always a few bills or refunds you forget about.   Besides, though you can open a British bank account on the day you arrive (just go to one of the big banks with your passport), it can take weeks before you can withdraw any money!    That's because you need to make an appointment with a bank official, prove your residency, and then wait for your cards to arrive. 

One way to speed it up is this:  five or six weeks before you go, tell your bank you're moving to the UK and give them a UK address (a friend or family member).  Don't use "care of" or include your friend's name - just your name at the address, as if it's yours.  Then make sure your credit card statements are set so they are printed and  posted to you, not emailed.  

That way, when you arrive, you'll have a credit card statement waiting for you at your friend's address.  That means you can get an appointment with the bank in your first week and offer that statement as proof of residency (you just need to keep a straight face if they ask you to confirm you live there).  If you don't do that, then you'll have to wait until you find a place to live and receive a bill there, which can obviously take weeks. 

(Note:  I've seen one or two people who've been able to open accounts without that rigmarole, but I think they've been lucky in dealing with a small bank branch that doesn't know the rules. With the new money laundering laws, it's actually illegal for them to give you an account without going through the process)

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks, that's great advice for anyone moving back, you don't always think of these things with everything else going on!  I'm ok on that score, I actually spent 9 months back home last year and managed to open accounts whilst there.  It's everything else I'm struggling with!  What do I take back regards household stuff, and most of all what shipping company do I use.  Has anyone any recommendations, or otherwise, on international removal companies.  I'm going back to Kent in the South 

• Like 1

On 09/06/2019 at 10:03, Linda C said:

I think the biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you have citizenship before you leave (if you haven't already got it). This last 6 months we seem to have had loads of questions / threads from people about gaining Resident return visa's so they can re enter Aus.

Lots of luck with everything, we have had quite a few members move back so you should get some good tips and advice on here.

Cal x

2 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I think the biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you have citizenship before you leave (if you haven't already got it). This last 6 months we seem to have had loads of questions / threads from people about gaining Resident return visa's so they can re enter Aus.

Lots of luck with everything, we have had quite a few members move back so you should get some good tips and advice on here.

Cal x

Thanks Cal.  I became an Aussie Citizen 10 years ago when you only had to be here 2 years.   I believed that's all changed now.   My partner (ex)  returned  to UK 5 years ago,  so I'm just finding it a bit daunting doing this on my own!   

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Linda C said:

Thanks, that's great advice for anyone moving back, you don't always think of these things with everything else going on!  I'm ok on that score, I actually spent 9 months back home last year and managed to open accounts whilst there.  It's everything else I'm struggling with!  What do I take back regards household stuff, and most of all what shipping company do I use.  Has anyone any recommendations, or otherwise, on international removal companies.  I'm going back to Kent in the South 

Hard to advise what to take and what to leave, because it depends on the condition of what you've got.   Personally, I'd say if your furniture isn't crash hot, then leave it behind - but take all the small stuff.   A Movecube is perfect for that, and comes in a choice of three sizes.

When we moved back, we weren't sure we'd stay, and so left everything in storage in Oz.   I found setting up house from scratch very stressful.  No time to browse the furniture shops finding exactly the right sofa - it was a case of find the shops, see what they had and settle for the least-worst one.  Most furniture shops these days keep very little in stock and order as they need, so it's a six week wait - you might as well wait for your shipment.   Ditto whitegoods, and then endless trips to the shops, filling trolleys with bedlinen, towels, crockery, cutlery, pots and pans, gadgets, tools, etc etc etc.   

A good idea is to get online now and do a "trial shop' at the stores you're likely to use when you get back to Kent.  "Add to Cart" everything you'll need and see how much it comes to.  Then compare that to the cost of shipping.

• Like 1