Visa options, complete beginner

loonicorn966

Hi guys,

completely starting from scratch here. My husband and I along with our kids want to emigrate. We know we don’t qualify for a skilled work visa and apparently a 457 sponsor visa is our best bet. My husband is a building project manager. We have family in Queensland, an aunt and two cousins, I don’t know if this helps? We don’t really know where to start, just putting feelers our, looking for any advice to help us get started on the long road ahead? Thanks in advance.  

If you cannot match an occupation to the list for a 457 or any visa then there is no real pathway unless you are a business owner maybe.

Also age is a factor, the cut off is now 45 for all skilled visas.  A 457 is a temporary visa and no longer has a clear pathway to PR or renewal.  IF you qualify for a 457 then unless you also qualify for a PR visa then you won’t be staying.

The occupation lists do change though so you never know.  Also do not get hung up on job titles look at the actual duties, it may be that he can apply under a different job title if he can prove he matches the criteria.

If you cannot match an occupation to the list for a 457 or any visa then there is no real pathway unless you are a business owner maybe.
Also age is a factor, the cut off is now 45 for all skilled visas.  A 457 is a temporary visa and no longer has a clear pathway to PR or renewal.  IF you qualify for a 457 then unless you also qualify for a PR visa then you won’t be staying.
The occupation lists do change though so you never know.  Also do not get hung up on job titles look at the actual duties, it may be that he can apply under a different job title if he can prove he matches the criteria.

Haven't they stopped the 457?

Speak with a migration agent and they can assess your situation and let you know what options you may have.  Construction Project Manager is on the MLTSSL so a skilled visa may be an option if your husband can pass the skills assessment, is under 45 and can achieve at least 60 points (realistically he may need 70 points given the current volume of applicants competing for invitations).

457 is no longer available, 489 family visa would be your best bet if you don't have the skills required.

Haven't they stopped the 457?

If he applies for a 489 it may go through quicker our agent said she's had 2 go through in 6 weeks but that's only the visa approval part.

The level of misinformation on here is breathtaking sometimes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

I hold my hands up to thinking the 457 was no longer but my last statement is fact!!

It may be fact that yur agnent has had two visas granted quickly, but that doesn't help the OP - they need to know if their skills are o a reelevant list, and if they are eligible to apply for a  visa. The speed of processing of 2 visas in probably unrelated skills is irrelevant.

On 16/12/2017 at 09:38, loonicorn966 said:

Hi guys,

completely starting from scratch here. My husband and I along with our kids want to emigrate. We know we don’t qualify for a skilled work visa and apparently a 457 sponsor visa is our best bet. My husband is a building project manager. We have family in Queensland, an aunt and two cousins, I don’t know if this helps? We don’t really know where to start, just putting feelers our, looking for any advice to help us get started on the long road ahead? Thanks in advance.  

Probably best to get some professional advice at least for an initial assessment, or put aside a few hours to do some initial research. Your options will depend on personal circumstance, including, but not limited to age, qualification, experience, etc.

Be mindful that the occupation of construction project manager is on the Medium/Long term list, which potential gives you a number of options, including skilled visas.

Edited by Raul Senise

On 16/12/2017 at 09:41, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

457 is no longer available

The 457 is still operating until March 2018, when it will be replaced by the TSS visa.

On 16/12/2017 at 09:41, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

489 family visa would be your best bet if you don't have the skills required.

Subclass 489 still requires a positive skills assessment on the relevant list.

12 hours ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

If he applies for a 489 it may go through quicker our agent said she's had 2 go through in 6 weeks but that's only the visa approval part.

The published processing times for this visa is 5 to 8 months. Although there are exceptions, 6 weeks is not the norm.