Australian animal most likely to kill you

calNgary

When thinkng about this, you automatically think snake, spider or shark but on the TV just now it said Dogs kill more humans in Australia than any other animal !! 

A quick Google said its horses but either way none of the animals i had expected,  i am actually quite surprised at this.

What animal is responsible for the most deaths in Australia?
Let's see who is responsible, starting with the biggest culprits:
  • Horse, pony or donkey – 77 deaths.
  • Cow, bull or bovine – 33 deaths.
  • Dog – 27 deaths.
  • Kangaroo – 18 deaths.
  • Bee – 16 deaths.
  • Shark – 16 deaths.
  • Snake – 14 deaths.
  • Crocodile – 9 deaths.
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, HibiscusDreams said:

I see the stats on dropbears are too bad to even publish..... LOOK UP. STAY ALIVE.

They are clever yet sneaky little buggers those drop bears, the stats for them won't be there because they make it so hard to proove it was them..

Cal x

• Like 1

Just now, Cerberus1 said:

It wouldn't have killed me but I didn't appreciate the snake dropping out of the tree and landing on my foot a couple of days ago..:S

OMG , if that had happened to me they would have heard me scream in Brisbane,lol, if it was a spider they would've heard me in Cairns !lol

I wandered out the front door this morning and came face to face (well 6 mtrs away) with Skippy  on steroids,lol, i havent seen Roo's in my garden for years so was quite shocked and just froze for a second, i didn't particaually like the way he was 'eye balling' me though so made a quick bee line for the car.

Cal x

• Like 1

Humans.

There were 238 reported murder victims in Australia during 2014, compared to 245 in 2013.[7]

Have had 13 instances where I have actually trodden on snakes while fishing; 7 highly venomous tiger snakes, 5 red bellied black and 1 brown snake.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bobj said:

Humans.

There were 238 reported murder victims in Australia during 2014, compared to 245 in 2013.[7]

Have had 13 instances where I have actually trodden on snakes while fishing; 7 highly venomous tiger snakes, 5 red bellied black and 1 brown snake.

Cheers, Bobj.

Quite.

And you are omitting probably many thousands killed by accident or negligence.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, calNgary said:

What , as an australian animal most likely to kill you ? lol

Cal x

Whoops. Should read the title of the thread.

You would think it would be sharks wouldn't you for all the press they get. Stand more chance of being killed driving to the beach. I try to tell myself that when I'm out a long way. A load of us used to swim a long way out and a couple of kms. After one of my friends got attacked on his surf ski a few years back it made us all a bit nervous.

I think it's worn off a lot as it was about 6 years ago and we seem to be venturing further out for longer swims again.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Knew there was a spelling mistake but couldn't be bothered to fix it. Usually bit of a spelling and grammar nazi myself.

I wasn't picking up the spelling , more about the title of thread ( easily done though ? )

Just now, welljock said:

To be fair to Paul, half your list aren't animals

OMG for one it was a joke (did you see the LOL on the end) and i am sure Paul took no offence as he isnt looking to bicker to cause arguments as a lot here of late.

For two ,why nit pick ? they are in 'general 'animals compared to an electronic item, trying to write insects, mammals amphibians  etc in the title would have been too much really and i wasnt aware i needed to go into graphic detail !

Cal x

6 minutes ago, calNgary said:

OMG for one it was a joke (did you see the LOL on the end) and i am sure Paul took no offence as he isnt looking to bicker to cause arguments as a lot here of late.

For two ,why nit pick ? they are in 'general 'animals compared to an electronic item, trying to write insects, mammals amphibians  etc in the title would have been too much really and i wasnt aware i needed to go into graphic detail !

Cal x

It was a joke

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say Jack Jumpers should be in there somewhere, absolutely awful little buggers. I had my first bite the other weekend. Thankfully got off pretty lightly. I think I've inherited my granddads system of not giving a f**k about that type of stuff. I just went OW and then had a little look at my hand and went on with my day. 

I read they cause an incredible amount of anaphylaxis though. 

1 hour ago, annagilda said:

I'd say Jack Jumpers should be in there somewhere, absolutely awful little buggers. I had my first bite the other weekend. Thankfully got off pretty lightly. I think I've inherited my granddads system of not giving a f**k about that type of stuff. I just went OW and then had a little look at my hand and went on with my day. 

I read they cause an incredible amount of anaphylaxis though. 

Yup. Disturbed a nest whilst gardening yesterday and two of the beggars got me through my gloves!  Still sore.  I got my revenge though.............