The weather ?

bristolman

27 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

it always was miles and Celsius...wasnt it ?

You live in a strange country.

You buy petrol in litres but talk about car efficiency in miles per gallon.

You buy cooking oil in litres but beer in a pint.

Do you buy a pint of milk or a litre of milk ?

Surely in the 21st century UK should go fully metric.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Parley said:

no ,it will go back to imperial I feel ...just to spite the e.u ??

we had o.k ,until th Europeans started bringing I kms and litres .....thats French in its origins not British

we do live n a strange country ...an eccentric country ...but a great one ( for all its faults ) ?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

no ,it will go back to imperial I feel ...just to spite the e.u ??

we had o.k ,until th Europeans started bringing I kms and litres .....thats French in its origins not British

we do live n a strange country ...an eccentric country ...but a great one ( for all its faults ) ?

We could bring back pounds , shillings and pence, lbs and cwts and throw new fangled calculators and computers in the bin.

On 31/12/2017 at 21:06, Parley said:

well the wealthiest and most powerful  country in the world is still imperial

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:03, bristolman said:

This isn't aimed at anyone but a post did make me think about this a little. 

It's often said (mainly by expats) how awful the weather and how it rains literally all the time and it's always cold. Now of course there are those who will talk the country into the ground to make themselves fit in. We saw it with a friend who moved to Brisbane and one day at a BBQ at our place they were telling people all this stuff about the UK and I estimate 30% if it was in any way accurate. I digress slightly and as I said this isn't aimed at anyone it's just a comment got me thinking about this. The comment was basically that they are stuck inside for 7 months of the year, now that isn't even close to accurate for most people I would guess. My wife was talking about this the other day and said that really we have 2 months (January and February) that are pretty horrible because leading up to Christmas is usually pretty mild and then March starts to pick up again. We see everyone out doing what they do pretty much all year round, I'm not talking about essential stuff but out seemingly enjoying life. There really is no sign of people being locked in their houses for most of the year, just the opposite. 

Just imagine if someone said they lived in Brisbane and couldn't go outside for half the year because of the heat and humidity, they would be jumped on by everyone on the forum but if it is said about the UK it seems to be accepted as the truth. 

We have a convertible car that we drive a lot and 2 weekends ago was the first time we had to put the top up.

There just seems to be the need amongst the British to put their country down and some will seemingly agree with any criticism regardless of how outrageous or inaccurate. 

We live in a beautiful friendly country with to my mind an agreeable temperate climate, unless you live up in Scotland no one is locked away in their houses for months on end, get out and enjoy what we have available. ?

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:03, bristolman said:

This isn't aimed at anyone but a post did make me think about this a little. 

It's often said (mainly by expats) how awful the weather and how it rains literally all the time and it's always cold. Now of course there are those who will talk the country into the ground to make themselves fit in. We saw it with a friend who moved to Brisbane and one day at a BBQ at our place they were telling people all this stuff about the UK and I estimate 30% if it was in any way accurate. I digress slightly and as I said this isn't aimed at anyone it's just a comment got me thinking about this. The comment was basically that they are stuck inside for 7 months of the year, now that isn't even close to accurate for most people I would guess. My wife was talking about this the other day and said that really we have 2 months (January and February) that are pretty horrible because leading up to Christmas is usually pretty mild and then March starts to pick up again. We see everyone out doing what they do pretty much all year round, I'm not talking about essential stuff but out seemingly enjoying life. There really is no sign of people being locked in their houses for most of the year, just the opposite. 

Just imagine if someone said they lived in Brisbane and couldn't go outside for half the year because of the heat and humidity, they would be jumped on by everyone on the forum but if it is said about the UK it seems to be accepted as the truth. 

We have a convertible car that we drive a lot and 2 weekends ago was the first time we had to put the top up.

There just seems to be the need amongst the British to put their country down and some will seemingly agree with any criticism regardless of how outrageous or inaccurate. 

We live in a beautiful friendly country with to my mind an agreeable temperate climate, unless you live up in Scotland no one is locked away in their houses for months on end, get out and enjoy what we have available. ?

The slowing jet stream over the eastern u.s is a real worry , caused by climate change .

it's happened 3 years in a row now ....-30c ...even snow in Florida this week ....huge storm surges.

luckily the u.k is getting the upside of the curve again .

just watching Fleetwood v Leicester in the fa cup ....it looks like an Aussie winters day ..not bad for early Jan

2 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

The slowing jet stream over the eastern u.s is a real worry , caused by climate change .

it's happened 3 years in a row now ....-30c ...even snow in Florida this week ....huge storm surges.

luckily the u.k is getting the upside of the curve again .

just watching Fleetwood v Leicester in the fa cup ....it looks like an Aussie winters day ..not bad for early Jan

Ps watching a lot of Tele ...i have done my lower back ...pain ☹

Ahh the old weather topic.

Over the past 5 years here I have lost count how many times people (brits and Aussies) tell me what/how bad the weather is in the UK....like I didn't live there for 30 years prior to moving here :sleep:

I had an Aussie person tell me the other day that "the UK is ALWAYS grey, rainy and looks like coronation street" at which point I switched off...as usual. Oh, and this person had never been to the UK....not even out of Australia....I rest my case!

I know everyones values vary but really, hand on heart, how important is the weather really...its just weather....for me its not important at all. We never let the weather stop us doing anything in the UK (unless is was raining hard prior to going out) but if it rained whilst out we just put on this great invention called a coat or used an umbrella....and they work marvellously! 

When I talk to brits and Aussies about home and they say "oh the weather is this or that" etc....like its actually matters or is important. I think to myself (and quite often say out load) is that all you can think of?? I sometimes think they say this as a knee-jerk/habit or trying to justify/make themselves feel good about moving overseas.

I can honestly say we need let the "constant" rain in the uk stop us doing anything, nor do we let the heat stop us here in QLD...although the kids are more reluctant to go our in the heat than they ever were in the rain or cold...anyway.....

• Like 5

On 28/12/2017 at 00:58, Sandgroper said:

Well it's good that we are all different, I have been to Rome, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Prague, Bern, Amsterdam etc.etc.etc and to be honest they are pretty much the same very interesting the first time but the second time well meh,  hopefully once I have raised my children safely in Perth they will travel and experience Europe as long as it isn't blacklisted by the Australian government Europe in general does seem to be getting more dangerous! They will however have Asia on there doorstep to explore.

hahahahaha I had a laugh at this and couldn't resist replying.

Rome, Paris, Berlin etc........become 'meh' but is happy with Perth! 

I have just shown this to an Australian colleague of mine and they said "is this person for real??"

We have come to the conclusion that these comments are fishing for an argument. O.o

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wattsy1982 said:

I have just shown this to an Australian colleague of mine and they said "is this person for real??"

We have come to the conclusion that these comments are fishing for an argument. O.o

would not want to get involved in the " weather " argument " wattsy ,but the weather is definitely improving in the u.k

very little severity now ...winters are in the main almost agreeable now.

when you look at bushfires and mudslides in California and -40c in thr eastern parts of the u.s

typhoons - hurricanes - ad tsuamis elsewhere ,I will stick with the u.k thanks

its apparently 5c today ...but again ..no wind ...so its quite decent

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

would not want to get involved in the " weather " argument " wattsy ,but the weather is definitely improving in the u.k

when you look at bushfires and mudslides in California and -40c in thr eastern parts of the u.s

I have friends in California.  From severe droughts and bushfires to mudslides.  Horrible.

You are right - we all have nothing to complain about.  We are very lucky compared to many countries and anyway - let's face it - some people prefer hot weather and some people don't so there's no need to argue or compare.  

3 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

a bit like today wattsy in mid January - coldest period of the year ...terrible ?

WP_20180110_09_50_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20180110_09_51_14_Pro.jpg

WP_20180110_09_53_09_Pro.jpg

• Like 3

21 hours ago, wattsy1982 said:

I'm more than happy with the travel options I have living in Perth.

Couldn't help replying yeah alright who's the one fishing for an argument :laugh:

• Like 1

This was my walk home from work yesterday (UK). Looks lovely but in reality still far too cold for my liking. I'm hoping to not have to do another UK winter. But, totally understand it's horses for courses, each to their own etc!!

UK is great, we still manage to do outdoor land based sports through the winter day or night. But watersports are far more pleasant when the air and sea temps aren't threatening to freeze your brain (in my opinion) ?.

20180110_151411.jpg

1 hour ago, ayda said:

This was my walk home from work yesterday (UK). Looks lovely but in reality still far too cold for my liking. I'm hoping to not have to do another UK winter. But, totally understand it's horses for courses, each to their own etc!!

UK is great, we still manage to do outdoor land based sports through the winter day or night. But watersports are far more pleasant when the air and sea temps aren't threatening to freeze your brain (in my opinion) ?.

20180110_151411.jpg

yeah I can fully agree with that ...if you are into watersports it would be a struggle ...looks nothing like what it used to though ....the sea froze in Kent in 1963 ?