Going home

Taff

Going away out there used to be the in thing to do back in the 90's & 00's.  Not any more.  

Poms are returning home in droves, simply because its a better country to live in.

Job opportunities, far more disposable income, NHS, state pension, the countryside, weekend breaks on your doorstep, pubs, better travel, better leisure, far better (much cheaper) food, family, friends, better quality TV, much better life for singles and the young and its paradise for teenagers & kids and most of all that sense of belonging and not being a foreigner, ...oh my ..the list goes on and on. 

Yes the beaches are nice in Australia, but flipping heck the rest of it is like ZZzzzzzzz groundhog day.  Beaches get old pretty quick and they are over rated.

If I ever struggle to get to sleep...I just ask my wife to say the words Perth, Swan Valley, Kings Park, Fremantle, Rockingham, Mandurah,  Bussleton, Margaret River and I am out.

If you have the money to get out of that place, its a perfect time to come back now..the pound is way down and there are tons of jobs.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Home and Happy said:

Going away out there used to be the in thing to do back in the 90's & 00's.  Not any more.  

Poms are returning home in droves, simply because its a better country to live in.

Job opportunities, far more disposable income, NHS, state pension, the countryside, weekend breaks on your doorstep, pubs, better travel, better leisure, far better (much cheaper) food, family, friends, better quality TV, much better life for singles and the young and its paradise for teenagers & kids and most of all that sense of belonging and not being a foreigner, ...oh my ..the list goes on and on. 

Yes the beaches are nice in Australia, but flipping heck the rest of it is like ZZzzzzzzz groundhog day.  Beaches get old pretty quick and they are over rated.

If I ever struggle to get to sleep...I just ask my wife to say the words Perth, Swan Valley, Kings Park, Fremantle, Rockingham, Mandurah,  Bussleton, Margaret River and I am out.

If you have the money to get out of that place, its a perfect time to come back now..the pound is way down and there are tons of jobs.

:sleep:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Home and Happy said:

Whatever you say mate. I'm sure you're right.

4 hours ago, Home and Happy said:

Probably same as everyone else does - lower quality food that costs twice as much as it does in UK ?

Maybe thats your finding but after a return visit last month and a few quick visits to Tesco ,not that much food wise is all that much cheaper than what i pay here. I do stock up when offers are on here though and it makes a massive difference to the weekly shop total price.

The one BIG price difference i found was not with food but Radox bubble bath and Tampax,lol, hence i brought a fair bit back in my suitcase,lol.

Cal x

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Maybe thats your finding but after a return visit last month and a few quick visits to Tesco ,not that much food wise is all that much cheaper than what i pay here. I do stock up when offers are on here though and it makes a massive difference to the weekly shop total price.

I don't  find the quality of the food any different but you have to adjust what you buy. No point in buying mangos in the UK .

The fresh veg in the Uk is less than half the price of Sydney. I once bought some parsnips for a cottage pie recipe with parsnip mash and when I got home I realised they cost more than the meat. Broccoli, leeks, capsicums all much cheaper here.

I also stock up when there are offers on, Bombay Sapphire regularly sold for £20  a litre which is almost half the price in Dan Murphy's ???

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Toots said:

It's a forum for goodness sake.  I can chime in wherever and whenever I want.

You are correct indeed of course you can,  however in this particular it really is about moving back to Britain in this part, most homeward bound poms by this point,  are no longer bothered about good it is down there,. In most cases they are here because it wasn't good for them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Home and Happy said:

You are correct indeed of course you can,  however in this particular it really is about moving back to Britain in this part, most homeward bound poms by this point,  are no longer bothered about good it is down there,. In most cases they are here because it wasn't good for them.

It also depends on where you live here.  What suits one person may not suit another.  I couldn't live in the outback but on the other hand I couldn't live in a city.  I spent many years in Sydney and was never bored and was fond of the place but I was glad to get out of it in the end.    Now I live in peace and quiet.  Wouldn't suit a lot of people but it's where I'm happy. 

3 minutes ago, Toots said:

It also depends on where you live here.  What suits one person may not suit another.  I couldn't live in the outback but on the other hand I couldn't live in a city.  I spent many years in Sydney and was never bored and was fond of the place but I was glad to get out of it in the end.    Now I live in peace and quiet.  Wouldn't suit a lot of people but it's where I'm happy. 

It all went well for you, great to hear a success story and to have found somewhere where you can live in peace and happiness is as good as it gets.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ScottieGirl said:

I don't  find the quality of the food any different but you have to adjust what you buy. No point in buying mangos in the UK .

The fresh veg in the Uk is less than half the price of Sydney. I once bought some parsnips for a cottage pie recipe with parsnip mash and when I got home I realised they cost more than the meat. Broccoli, leeks, capsicums all much cheaper here.

I also stock up when there are offers on, Bombay Sapphire regularly sold for £20  a litre which is almost half the price in Dan Murphy's ???

Bombay Sapphire at 20 quid - lucky you!!  Only time I get it is when I or somebody else gets it duty free.  My sister arrives soon so she knows what to get me on the way here. :cute:  Parsnips here are winter veggies and are as cheap as chips then but hardly ever see them now as they are out of season.  I can't remember having new potatoes in Sydney but they are in abundance here just now and cheap - not at the supermarkets but at our local fruit and veggie shop which stocks produce from local farms and other fruit and veg are half the price of Coles/Woolies but again depends on the season.

Edited by Toots

It was the broccoli that got me at $6 a kilo. I used to look at it in Coles and Woolies and think how can it cost that much? Then Aldi started selling it at $4a kilo so someone somewhere had been making a tidy profit. The local fruit and veg shops were even more expensive  the the one round the corner was run by the Obeid family. I did wonder if they were related to Eddie...

In most cases you have to switch to the local offerings to get value. Tassie cheeses are much cheaper than the imported French and British ones and just as yummy, I really miss the triple cream brie ?????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Parsnips here are winter veggies and are as cheap as chips then but hardly ever see them now as they are out of season. 

The knowledge that fruit and vegetables are seasonal seems to be unknown to many  these days.  I started to realise that when I saw people on PIO complaining about the price of grapes - in winter - or broccoli - in summer.  The fact that they are available at all out of season is a marvel due to modern transport  ....but the fact that they have to be flown great distances (in Australia's case) from another climate zone - or grown out of season with  very expensive artificial systems -  seems to escape people completely. 

I agree with you about Coles/Woolies.  Even our small independent supermarkets have cheaper prices (and often better quality).  I don't understand that - especially with things like bananas which probably all come from the same large plantations in Queensland or northern NSW. 

• Like 2

I was quite shocked and pleased to see Scottish raspberries in Sainburys this week . Cheap too. I can only assume that modern greenhouses are technically far superior to days gone by.

Not sure I buy the transport argument, UK supermarkets are full of fruit and veg from warmer climes, bananas from the carribean, lemons, limes and avocados from the middle east, oranges from the US are available year round and they don't cost the earth.

As for broccoli there was never a cheap season in Sydney. Yes I know I'm  obsessed....

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ScottieGirl said:

It was the broccoli that got me at $6 a kilo. I used to look at it in Coles and Woolies and think how can it cost that much? Then Aldi started selling it at $4a kilo so someone somewhere had been making a tidy profit. The local fruit and veg shops were even more expensive  the the one round the corner was run by the Obeid family. I did wonder if they were related to Eddie...

In most cases you have to switch to the local offerings to get value. Tassie cheeses are much cheaper than the imported French and British ones and just as yummy, I really miss the triple cream brie ?????

They are making a huge profit - bloody rip-off merchants! 

I used to on occasion get fruit and veggies at Campsie.  Good prices there - most of the shops (fruit & veggie) were owned by Chinese or Nepalese families.

I'm growing my own broccoli this year at the allotment.  At the moment the weeds are growing faster than the broccoli.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2017 at 10:43, calNgary said:

The one BIG price difference i found was not with food but Radox bubble bath and Tampax,lol, hence i brought a fair bit back in my suitcase,lol.

Cal x

It is certainly what we are finding and have since day one of getting back. Most food is cheaper, some significantly so. Not related to your comment but I have seen people comment on how fresh food in Australia is of a higher quality, this is also absolute twaddle. Yes we also stock up on offers, saves us even more.