Going home

Taff

21 minutes ago, simmo said:

Resturant food in terms of quality, choice, and price is far superior in the UK.  Same in supermarkets.  As for pub grub? apart from the places like the Breakfast Creek Hotel and the like or unless you like everything deep fried, the UK wins hand down and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

How long was it since you were here Simmo? I thought the breakfast creek hotel was pretty average mate, much better places in Brissie and a massive choice. 

There's a bunch of restaurants and a really good brewerie opened in Whitfords recently and they are all good. The food, beer and atmosphere in the brewery is brilliant and you get sea views.

Another one of my favourites is the Scarborough Beach Bar. Whole area will be great when they've finished the multi million dollar revamp of the seafront road. With yet another outdoor 50m pool.

5 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

How long was it since you were here Simmo? I thought the breakfast creek hotel was pretty average mate, much better places in Brissie and a massive choice. 

There's a bunch of restaurants and a really good brewerie opened in Whitfords recently and they are all good. The food, beer and atmosphere in the brewery is brilliant and you get sea views.

Another one of my favourites is the Scarborough Beach Bar. Whole area will be great when they've finished the multi million dollar revamp of the seafront road. With yet another outdoor 50m pool.

Not saying there are no acceptions to the rule but in general its pretty poor compared to the UK.

1 hour ago, Pura Vida said:

My thoughts as well. I can get most anything English in Australia. My local supermarket even now stocks my favourite breakfast cereal, Alpen.  

Now somewhere on The Continent I could see but unsure about English. Pub grub better there perhaps? A hot Christmas dinner in more suitable conditions?  What else I wonder?

only choice pv , and the range of .....upside , we have everything here , miles better than the u.s ( which is supposed to be the place ) mostly within 2 miles......downside is , I have winter to get through ?

its not a pom v oz thing ...i have no axe to grind

15 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Paul , I accept your point , but don't go there .

simmo can be in London in half hour ...and that has everything ( except sea views ?)

yes , beach , weather , barbie ...great ...but expand it beyond that ...and .??????

if you like the beach lifestyle ...great ...so do I ...to an extent .

I have a sibling with a similar mindset to you ...would i swap my life for his 365 24/7 ...no chance

but comparing w.a to the u.k and Europe for other stuff ....i dont think so .

iam sure pb will be along to tell us ,that they are having an authentic Victorian Xmas market in Stratford on the 9-10th December ....streets will be blocked off ...we will be there .....we could be in London ....we could be in Birmingham for the Xmas German market ( my daughter was there Friday night ...she said it isn't very good ) ...so I wont be ......if we wanted to be more adventurous .....salzburg , Frankfurt ...and right across europe have the markets , they are only a couple of hours away .....its all about choice .

2 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

Paul , I accept your point , but don't go there .

simmo can be in London in half hour ...and that has everything ( except sea views ?)

yes , beach , weather , barbie ...great ...but expand it beyond that ...and .??????

if you like the beach lifestyle ...great ...so do I ...to an extent .

I have a sibling with a similar mindset to you ...would i swap my life for his 365 24/7 ...no chance

but comparing w.a to the u.k and Europe for other stuff ....i dont think so .

iam sure pb will be along to tell us ,that they are having an authentic Victorian Xmas market in Stratford on the 9-10th December ....streets will be blocked off ...we will be there .....we could be in London ....we could be in Birmingham for the Xmas German market ( my daughter was there Friday night ...she said it isn't very good ) ...so I wont be ......if we wanted to be more adventurous .....salzburg , Frankfurt ...and right across europe have the markets , they are only a couple of hours away .....its all about choice .

Sorry Bunbury but my points are valid. I wouldn't give you tuppence for any market. Salzburg,  Stratford anywhere where its going to be cold and packed. Find a parking spot, pay a fortune for it, walk to the venue with 100s more people for a couple of bratvursts in the cold. 

No thanks mate, I'll take the warm weather.

I don't like London one bit and avoid it when I'm over. When my Mum died last year my Sister and fella went down to see someone they knew in a West End play. I declined to go as it's just not my cup of tea. 

My sis lives near Stamford which is a lovely town but talk about busy. Nightmare to drive through. Had great times in the pubs on the weekends though and I love the pub scene there.

Resturant food in terms of quality, choice, and price is far superior in the UK.  Same in supermarkets.  As for pub grub? apart from the places like the Breakfast Creek Hotel and the like or unless you like everything deep fried, the UK wins hand down and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

Are you joking- unless it's Michelin star quality forget it. All we got in the UK was re-heated or packet bought microwaved crap served up by some spoddy teenager or uni student who looked like they would die if they had to be hospitable or crack a smile. This in pubs and in allegedly 'above average' restaurants in the capital and Home Counties. A sloth would have had more enthusiasm.

Can't complain about Aussie restaurants, great food and service and it's round every street corner. The spoddy gormless teenagers confine themselves to maccas here....

5 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

Sorry Bunbury but my points are valid. I wouldn't give you tuppence for any market. Salzburg,  Stratford anywhere where its going to be cold and packed. Find a parking spot, pay a fortune for it, walk to the venue with 100s more people for a couple of bratvursts in the cold. 

I don't like London one bit and avoid it when I'm over. When my Mum died last year my Sister and fella went down to see someone they knew in a West End play. I declined to go as it's just not my cup of tea. 

My sis lives near Stamford which is a lovely town but talk about busy. Nightmare to drive through. Had great times in the pubs on the weekends though and I love the pub scene there.

as I said each to their own ...i can do both .

I like a bit of choice though , and Europe gives you that in spades .

warm weather yes ...up to about 30c ...beyond that you are existing , not living .

if I want the lot ...weather , scenery , art,history, food , culture ...it has to be Italy .

Perth will score high in the weather , and possibly the scenery , maybe the food ...it scores very highly in some areas , and poorly in others .....but i fully accept , the weather and the beach is enough for some people

13 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

its not just the markets iam referring to ...its choice .

if you want the weekend away from Perth by car ...what have you got ?

Denmark...busselton ...or Margaret river ....nice for 24 hours ...but come on ....i have only got one lifetime ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

its not just the markets iam referring to ...its choice .

if you want the weekend away from Perth by car ...what have you got ?

Denmark...busselton ...or Margaret river ....nice for 24 hours ...but come on ....i have only got one lifetime ?

Denmark, Margaret River and Augusta I could quite easily spend a couple of weeks in any of them. Some of the best surfing in Denmark at Ocean Beach. 

Funnily enough though I love to stay home and have time off here. All my "toys" are at the surf club 5 minutes away and there's usually loads of friends with the same ideas.

We're off to Rottnest this weekend for an annual swim event that me and the wife do. Love Rotto. About the same size as Bermuda with a lot less people and just as nice beaches. 

Loads of friends going this year as there are a few celebrations to be had. Lots of us have birthdays in December it seems.

Should be a great weekend.

2 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

only choice pv , and the range of .....upside , we have everything here , miles better than the u.s ( which is supposed to be the place ) mostly within 2 miles......downside is , I have winter to get through ?

its not a pom v oz thing ...i have no axe to grind

Yes I would agree choice is better, certainly compared to WA at any rate. Although it is adequate here. Not a fan of English winters. Bleak and dreary IMO.

8 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

What do you eat in Aus then?

Food like anyone else does, just not my favorites i used to eat back there and having been back last month and ate lotssss of them ,i am missing them quite a bit at the moment..

Black pudding for one, you can get it here, i've tried quite a few varietys but it tastes nothing like the Bury Black pudding i bought and ate back in the UK.

A good meat pie from the chip shop,, Mrs Mac's are about the best i've found here and are just not as good...

BBQ spare ribs from the Chinese, again having tried various ribs here i'm yet to find any as good.

Sausage, and yes i know you can buy English ones here from the pommy shop, $10 for about 6 sausage and over an hour round trip to get them ,hence we don't buy them very often. 

Cheese and Onion pasties and pies, Pickled red cabbage, pickled onion monster munch, chip shop curry sauce on proper chip shop chips, Walnut Whips are a few more things i miss too.

Cal x

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ssiri said:

Are you joking- unless it's Michelin star quality forget it. All we got in the UK was re-heated or packet bought microwaved crap served up by some spoddy teenager or uni student who looked like they would die if they had to be hospitable or crack a smile. This in pubs and in allegedly 'above average' restaurants in the capital and Home Counties. A sloth would have had more enthusiasm.

Can't complain about Aussie restaurants, great food and service and it's round every street corner. The spoddy gormless teenagers confine themselves to maccas here....

what's "spoddy"?

9 hours ago, simmo said:

I can tell it's a long time since you were in an Australian hostelry.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, simmo said:

It's expected but I agree, I wouldnt have said it 20 years ago but now the quality of food is definitely superior, the pub food especially is in a different league, oh and much better value for money. 

8 hours ago, ssiri said:

? You're funny. 

Edited by bristolman
  • Haha 1

Denmark, Margaret River and Augusta I could quite easily spend a couple of weeks in any of them. Some of the best surfing in Denmark at Ocean Beach. 

Funnily enough though I love to stay home and have time off here. All my "toys" are at the surf club 5 minutes away and there's usually loads of friends with the same ideas.

We're off to Rottnest this weekend for an annual swim event that me and the wife do. Love Rotto. About the same size as Bermuda with a lot less people and just as nice beaches. 

Loads of friends going this year as there are a few celebrations to be had. Lots of us have birthdays in December it seems.

good for you ...but a couple of weeks in Denmark ....augusta ...or Margaret river ...couple of days max

glad you enjoy it ...not for me 365 ...sorry

• Like 1

That's all fine if your life revolves around beaches, when in Brisbane we used to go once every couple of months, that was enough, we seem to like something more stimulating really. Each to their own of course but what you described does absolutely nothing for me. 

12 hours ago, calNgary said:

Food like anyone else does, just not my favorites i used to eat back there and having been back last month and ate lotssss of them ,i am missing them quite a bit at the moment..

Black pudding for one, you can get it here, i've tried quite a few varietys but it tastes nothing like the Bury Black pudding i bought and ate back in the UK.

A good meat pie from the chip shop,, Mrs Mac's are about the best i've found here and are just not as good...

BBQ spare ribs from the Chinese, again having tried various ribs here i'm yet to find any as good.

Sausage, and yes i know you can buy English ones here from the pommy shop, $10 for about 6 sausage and over an hour round trip to get them ,hence we don't buy them very often. 

Cheese and Onion pasties and pies, Pickled red cabbage, pickled onion monster munch, chip shop curry sauce on proper chip shop chips, Walnut Whips are a few more things i miss too.

Cal x

The only thing I could say I miss on your list is cheese and onion pasties (but I make my own now) and chips with curry sauce.

11 hours ago, bristolman said:

That's all fine if your life revolves around beaches, when in Brisbane we used to go once every couple of months, that was enough, we seem to like something more stimulating really. Each to their own of course but what you described does absolutely nothing for me. 

If I lived in Bris it wouldn't be that often. Too far to a decent beach from Bris.

There's wineries galore, breweries, restaurants, caves. Loads to see and do down the South West here.

Reason I like home though is we have the best of both worlds. I have a few weeks off over christmas, go down the beach early as I know other people will be there to train with, home before lunch shower and go into Perth on the train so we don't have to worry about having a drink.

Amazing how many restaurants and bars you never find if you don't have time to look. Love the rooftop bars.

Edited by Paul1Perth
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

If I lived in Bris it wouldn't be that often. Too far to a decent beach from Bris.

There's wineries galore, breweries, restaurants, caves. Loads to see and do down the South West here.

Reason I like home though is we have the best of both worlds. I have a few weeks off over christmas, go down the beach early as I know other people will be there to train with, home before lunch shower and go into Perth on the train so we don't have to worry about having a drink.

Amazing how many restaurants and bars you never find if you don't have time to look. Love the rooftop bars.

It looks like some other posters can't quite believe you are happy and content in Perth Paul.  Makes me wonder what exciting stuff they actually get up to.  Each to their own though.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, simmo said:

It's been a long time since i've been in an Australian full stop!

Then all your opinions are old and out of date!  Maybe you should visit first before you comment further, there has been a lot of changes in the 8 years I have been here!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

Try finding a car parking spot at Cottesloe during summer .  For that matter try finding a spot on the beach to swim on a weekend during the morning. Cottesloe Life Saving seem to have commandeered pretty much the entire beach. Full of nippers.

Markets are a choice but are lively and full of things going on. Perth doesn't come remotely close in what here terms markets. Far more than bratwursts .

I accept if you don't like crowds and lots of vitality and energy Perth will be preferable. But to write an opportunity off to visit London, when in the neighbourhood, is almost sacrilegious.