Going home

Taff

Thanks very much both.

Reason for returning? I'll draw on my Welsh heritage, and say "hiraeth" and homesickness. I've been in Aus for 16 years, and each year it's harder to remain.

No help needed at present, but I'll happily admit that my joining here was prompted by the thought of drawing on the collective consciousness and knowledge here.

• Like 4

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 02:17, Taff said:

Thanks very much both.

Reason for returning? I'll draw on my Welsh heritage, and say "hiraeth" and homesickness. I've been in Aus for 16 years, and each year it's harder to remain.

No help needed at present, but I'll happily admit that my joining here was prompted by the thought of drawing on the collective consciousness and knowledge here.

sorry to hear that the homesickness has hit .

its bloody horrible , been there many times ,and it comes out of the blue .

prepare to give yourself an emotional kicking ,its not easy

You are not alone, I returned in April after 17 yrs along with my two pooches. It's  a great time to do it financially with the current Brexit pound ? Spend a few hours at Heathrow waiting for the pooches and got talking to several couples who had also returned to be with family, timing influenced by the exchange rate.

Edited by ScottieGirl

10 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

sorry to hear that the homesickness has hit .

its bloody horrible , been there many times ,and it comes out of the blue .

prepare to give yourself an emotional kicking ,its not easy

Oh it's hit over the past five years as I say.

I'm not one for kicking myself.

Now that we're in the planning stages of our return, I'm quite upbeat in fact.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2017 at 02:17, Taff said:

but I'll happily admit that my joining here was prompted by the thought of drawing on the collective consciousness and knowledge here.

There's plenty of that .. and the great thing is about PIO is that you will get opinions from all sides.  The only one that matters though is yours.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 12:38, Taff said:

Been in Aus for 16 years, and am now in the process of moving back.

Hi Taff,  Just want to wish you all the best with your move home.  Not long to wait now... just a few weeks.  We are going home too, as soon as the house sells.  Wish it would hurry up.  I'll be interested to hear how it goes and what the best things about being back are for you.  

On 11/13/2017 at 12:17, Taff said:

Thanks Cal, it's dragging like hell now though...

I fly back to Blighty on Jan 17th.,

Just think of all the yummy food waiting for you once your back,lol... I think thats what i miss the most ...

Have a great last hot xmas, get out and have fun to make time fly..

Cal x

• Like 2

On 24 July 2017 at 11:17, Taff said:

Thanks very much both.

Totally understand, been here 30 years next year and it does get much harder

• Like 1

Now down to my last 5 working days. I've been very flattered to the response of my colleagues to my leaving, but am committed and will go.

The nice thing is that I will officially be on holiday for the first five weeks of my retirement, so will still have a wage coming in until mid-January. I'm still saying I'm retiring at 58, even though I will be 59 by the time of the actual retirement day!!

The next month will be spent organising our move back to the UK..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul1Perth said:

What do you eat in Aus then?

My thoughts as well. I can get most anything English in Australia. My local supermarket even now stocks my favourite breakfast cereal, Alpen.  

Now somewhere on The Continent I could see but unsure about English. Pub grub better there perhaps? A hot Christmas dinner in more suitable conditions?  What else I wonder?

Resturant food in terms of quality, choice, and price is far superior in the UK.  Same in supermarkets.  As for pub grub? apart from the places like the Breakfast Creek Hotel and the like or unless you like everything deep fried, the UK wins hand down and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

• Like 3

........agree about supermarkets.....

.......so many frozen and packaged goods..!

........from an Indian meal to a Sunday dinner

.........must admit the microwave got good use on my last holiday in the uk

.........and enjoy the country pubs..

........they are unique to the uk 

........best of luck with your move back...