Australia isn't for me!

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

This is something that we have heard a hundred times over throughout the years of the forum. 

But seriously, how can people say this is fact. Let me say I'm not getting at anyone who has returned, who knows one day I may have no choice myself. 

I saw a postcard today and it reminded me just how large Australia is. I know it's not exactly to scale but it still gives us all an idea of the size.

IMG_2505.JPG

So, working on the size of Australia and the diversity, when people say they don't like Australia it is like someone moving to Bradford and saying they think all of Europe is a dump. Or the people are unfriendly etc. Let's face it how can we say Bradford is like Poland or France

Is it unreasonable to ask if it really is Australia or is it a suburb in a state they don't like.

I have seen some dumps in Australia but I have also seen hundreds of places that are paradise. 

The cost of living and job situation I could understand more.

Can I ask if some of the members going home can clarify? 

It's not that I don't like Australia, in fact there are some bits (Victoria and Tasmania spring to mind), it's just too far away.  We won't return to live in our families pockets, but it will be nice to be able to catch a one hour flight to see them rather than a 24 hour one.

• Like 2

Though 90% of it is empty desert. I have more than once driven across the middle and it might as well have been ground hog day. Orange to red desert pretty much unchanging. Likewise the Nullabor. In fact pretty much all of the areas overlain with the map of Europe are just that. Desert. Q

if anything I think the map puts Oz in a bad light. If I were to drive the Europe map, I would go through massive cultural differences, language, history even cuisine. If I do it I oz, I get a slight difference in coffee. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

So, working on the size of Australia and the diversity, when people say they don't like Australia it is like someone moving to Bradford and saying they think all of Europe is a dump. Or the people are unfriendly etc. Let's face it how can we say Bradford is like Poland or France

Some people just make the wrong choices for their own circumstances, personality and need to test their own strength of character to find out who they are.

They can't help that, just as they can't help blaming a continent for their personal unhappiness. Everyone is in charge of their own lives and the object is to find happiness and contentment.  When they find that, they stop moaning and looking for things to blame.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

This is something that we have heard a hundred times over throughout the years of the forum. 

But seriously, how can people say this is fact. Let me say I'm not getting at anyone who has returned, who knows one day I may have no choice myself. 

I saw a postcard today and it reminded me just how large Australia is. I know it's not exactly to scale but it still gives us all an idea of the size.

IMG_2505.JPG

Is it unreasonable to ask if it really is Australia or is it a suburb in a state they don't like.

I have seen some dumps in Australia but I have also seen hundreds of places that are paradise. 

But surely you cannot begin to compare the diversity of people and culture within the European framework in comparison with Australia?

Australia diversity lays within landscape over a very wide area. Europe can change 'down the road'. Language, customs food etc. For example in two hours where I lived I could be in one of four different countries. Another hour even more.

Australia certainly has the size. I found more cultural diversity in France or Germany than in Australia. Far more accessible as well.

I can't see how the Bradford comparison with Poland is akin to Australia. More Middlesbrough or somewhere, much closer of course and apples with apples.

Dumps exist everywhere and anywhere.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pura Vida said:

But surely you cannot begin to compare the diversity of people and culture within the European framework in comparison with Australia?

Australia diversity lays within landscape over a very wide area. Europe can change 'down the road'. Language, customs food etc. For example in two hours where I lived I could be in one of four different countries. Another hour even more.

Australia certainly has the size. I found more cultural diversity in France or Germany than in Australia. Far more accessible as well.

I can't see how the Bradford comparison with Poland is akin to Australia. More Middlesbrough or somewhere, much closer of course and apples with apples.

Dumps exist everywhere and anywhere.  

No you can't really compare Australia with Europe.  Australia is 12,000 miles away and a fairly new country.  Why on earth would it be anything like Europe?  You could say the same about Africa or India.  People will never be happy here if they are constantly comparing.  This isn't North Korea you don't need an exit visa.  Just go back to what you know and be happy. 

• Like 4

for me it was a lack of emotional maturity. i just wasnt ready to live away from my family & the things i knew. its much easier to blame a place or other people when you arent happy though & i know i certainly did. it was a very expensive coming of age for me.

when i see people say all of oz is the same i just think they mustnt of seen much of it. or they passed through it without really seeing what was around them. it is a hugely diverse land with a range of climates & landscapes but you cant appreciate anything when you dont open yourself up to it.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Though 90% of it is empty desert. I have more than once driven across the middle and it might as well have been ground hog day. Orange to red desert pretty much unchanging. Likewise the Nullabor. In fact pretty much all of the areas overlain with the map of Europe are just that. Desert. Q

if anything I think the map puts Oz in a bad light. If I were to drive the Europe map, I would go through massive cultural differences, language, history even cuisine. If I do it I oz, I get a slight difference in coffee. 

apart from the fact 90% of oz isnt desert the arid & desert areas are anything but boring. i spent time working with tour company in central oz & saw hauntingly beautiful & diverse scenery & unique plants & animals. what a shame you didnt really see what was there to be seen.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Toots said:

No you can't really compare Australia with Europe.  Australia is 12,000 miles away and a fairly new country.  Why on earth would it be anything like Europe?  You could say the same about Africa or India.  People will never be happy here if they are constantly comparing.  This isn't North Korea you don't need an exit visa.  Just go back to what you know and be happy. 

I of course wasn't comparing Australia with Europe. Pom Queen brought up the matter. The original post on another thread, was pretty much on the money with regards comments. Both pro and con's.

It would be rather sad and probably somewhat immature if both sides of the coin were not spoken about.

Edited by Pura Vida

1 hour ago, Booma said:

for me it was a lack of emotional maturity. i just wasnt ready to live away from my family & the things i knew. its much easier to blame a place or other people when you arent happy though & i know i certainly did. it was a very expensive coming of age for me.

when i see people say all of oz is the same i just think they mustnt of seen much of it. or they passed through it without really seeing what was around them. it is a hugely diverse land with a range of climates & landscapes but you cant appreciate anything when you dont open yourself up to it.

As I wrote the diversity is in landscape over a great distance. Australia is remarkably similar outside of that in cultural (outside of Aboriginal areas) than any other continent I have ever been. Which in itself could be judged both a pro and a con.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Commonly referred to as the GAFA

7 hours ago, Booma said:

apart from the fact 90% of oz isnt desert the arid & desert areas are anything but boring. i spent time working with tour company in central oz & saw hauntingly beautiful & diverse scenery & unique plants & animals. what a shame you didnt really see what was there to be seen.

I spent eight years working across the Australian interior. Yes it has stunning beauty. In fact, I miss desert full stop - I have worked in most of the worlds greatest. But, I wouldn't want to live in them. And they are boring when you spend day after day in them. 

8 hours ago, Toots said:

If he went back to what he knew I doubt he'd be happy. His happiness seems to resolve around (supposedly) enlightening us to our inability to "see" what he sees. The "imperfections" of Oz, the World,  (and ourselves) are (he thinks) known only to him and it seems it is his lifelong (aka forum)  goal to enlighten us.............how sad is that? that an obviously educated aka elevated person, (his scripts seem to elevate himself above others) has little else to do than tell us (the great unwashed) just how much more "familiar" he is with what the world is really like than us mere mortals could ever comprehend?

To these "elevated persons" I would say, "How much time do you spend 'on the street' voicing your concerns?"....................I'm guessing that you don't because your "personna" would be buried in the voice of an enlightened and educated crowd and so you seek a  forum/soapbox where you think that your ego will be better massaged................a forum where you think that your intellect and intelligence is superior to those that you "preach" to and that intellect and intelligence makes your opinions "right" Some of the worlds greatest minds have made the worst alliances and decisions.!!..................some may not have your number, but I have

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Johndoe said:

If he went back to what he knew I doubt he'd be happy. His happiness seems to resolve around (supposedly) enlightening us to our inability to "see" what he sees. The "imperfections" of Oz, the World,  (and ourselves) are (he thinks) known only to him and it seems it is his lifelong (aka forum)  goal to enlighten us.............how sad is that? that an obviously educated aka elevated person, (his scripts seem to elevate himself above others) has little else to do than tell us (the great unwashed) just how much more "familiar" he is with what the world is really like than us mere mortals could ever comprehend?

To these "elevated persons" I would say, "How much time do you spend 'on the street' voicing your concerns?"....................I'm guessing that you don't because your "personna" would be buried in the voice of an enlightened and educated crowd and so you seek a  forum/soapbox where you think that your ego will be better massaged................a forum where you think that your intellect and intelligence is superior to those that you "preach" to and that intellect and intelligence makes your opinions "right" Some of the worlds greatest minds have made the worst alliances and decisions.!!..................some may not have your number, but I have

But the original post is a direct comparison between Europe and Australia

4 minutes ago, VERYSTORMY said:

But the original post is a direct comparison between Europe and Australia

Maybe on the surface, but the intent of not just that reply,l but their previous postings is IMHO to illustrate that those who "delight" in Oz are somehow intellectually and culturally ignorant.

Long time posters/members recognise the "gist" and also the "air of superiority"...........feckin' amazing if you can translate that into the script of a novel but all it does here is say, "I recognise that supercilious tone, has he changed his moniker?..................and more................or less importantly................why?....................just a sad sack with only a forum to gob off to..............just like me :-)

• Like 1

I'd like to know how many British families with children make those frequent trips to Europe.  Singles and couples without children yes, easy to do but once children come on board not so easy at all.  Most kids would be bored traipsing around museums and art galleries then there is the babysitting to organise if the parents want to go out and have fun at nights. 

On 07/05/2017 at 4:04 AM, VERYSTORMY said:

What a clueless response

1 minute ago, Smiths said:

What a clueless response

Very Stormy is seeing it from his point of view though.  My sister and I went to the red centre when she was here a few year ago.  She loved it but I couldn't wait to get back to the coastline.  It also has to be said that Very Stormy didn't have such a great life in Australia and is now back in the UK.  Australia doesn't suit everybody and it's pretty dire here if you are jobless which also happened to Very Stormy.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2017 at 0:12 AM, The Pom Queen said:

IMG_2505.JPG

Every one of the countries of Europe in your map has a presence of some sort in and/or near to Australia! I did a bit of research on Google before getting bored with it but basically, if you are interested in another country's language and culture, you can find a group/institute to help you. And the people from these countries came to OZ for the same reason that we Poms came. Google the country of your choice and see what you can do. One of my friends here in Sydney who is of German heritage is doing a course at the Goethe Institute in Sydney. The universities all have schools in the different languages and countries. My brother is learning Chinese via the Open University.

I've noticed that people who are "Euro-centric" are also very "sniffy" about the merits of the Southern Hemisphere which is sad because there are so many different countries and cultures within easy reach of OZ. If you love France then New Caledonia is on our doorstep. I keep meaning to go back to Noumea after visiting it on a South Pacific cruise.

• Like 2

On 6 May 2017 at 3:12 PM, The Pom Queen said:

IMG_2505.JPG

A whole lot of reasons and emotions can play a part in going back I will name a few.For me it was the distance to get anywhere within Australa more so than outside. I picked the wrong soulless suburb and area to live. I made the mistake of comparing to what I knew. I longed for old buildings and character. I know this exists in Oz but I wasn't in a position to move on. The main dislike for me was my job and where it was but I was  stuck in it. Having said that I seen and experienced some great places and everytime I visit Europe I come away not feeling fulfilled like I did in Australia in regards to the scenery. I don't put the country down and I would go back, the time and place just wasn't right for me then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

Every one of the countries of Europe in your map has a presence of some sort in and/or near to Australia! I did a bit of research on Google before getting bored with it but basically, if you are interested in another country's language and culture, you can find a group/institute to help you. And the people from these countries came to OZ for the same reason that we Poms came. Google the country of your choice and see what you can do. One of my friends here in Sydney who is of German heritage is doing a course at the Goethe Institute in Sydney. The universities all have schools in the different languages and countries. My brother is learning Chinese via the Open University.

I've noticed that people who are "Euro-centric" are also very "sniffy" about the merits of the Southern Hemisphere which is sad because there are so many different countries and cultures within easy reach of OZ. If you love France then New Caledonia is on our doorstep. I keep meaning to go back to Noumea after visiting it on a South Pacific cruise.

I'm not disputing your opinion but pointing that that large swathes of Europe does as well. In Paris there were three Australian pubs in the 90's. There was a course at the Uni there called Australian Studies, you could buy Aussie wine. There was an Australian Film Festival on for an entire month at the Pompidou Centre in Paris.

Likewise many opportunities to learn German, Spanish, Russian  and most anything else with greater opportunities to practise it. Australia is hardly unique in having a 'multi cultural' if that is the term you wish to use population. London has more exposure. Berlin must be edging up and Amsterdam it all around. People can live it easier and in an hour or two be in the real thing.

It is not a case of being 'sniffy' in most cases. It is just a more limited experience. Having just been to Tahiti, I can say it has a resemblance of France but not too far of going to Barbados for British culture. Same, same but grossly different. Sometimes you can't beat the' real thing'.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toots said:

I'd like to know how many British families with children make those frequent trips to Europe.  Singles and couples without children yes, easy to do but once children come on board not so easy at all.  Most kids would be bored traipsing around museums and art galleries then there is the babysitting to organise if the parents want to go out and have fun at nights. 

So true.  I am sure there are many who revel in European culture but most Brits take 2 week holidays to an all-inclusive hotel in the Med in July/August, drank themselves senseless, let the kids run wild at the 'kids club' and never leave the complex the whole time.  Just look at how many of these holidays are available.

I am surprised how many of these culturally sophisticated Europhiles apparently opt to emigrate to Oz.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gbye grey sky said:

So true.  I am sure there are many who revel in European culture but most Brits take 2 week holidays to an all-inclusive hotel in the Med in July/August, drank themselves senseless, let the kids run wild at the 'kids club' and never leave the complex the whole time.  Just look at how many of these holidays are available.

These are the people who move to Aus hoping for a warmer version of Britain with bigger houses egged on by programs like WDU  then get disappointed by the reality.

• Like 1

Back to Pom Queen's question as to why people go back: in my case it was familial obligations. Most people migrate when they are young and their parents are healthy and don't think about how they will deal with elderly frail relatives until the time comes. My decision was helped greatly by the post Brexit vote pound which makes it much cheaper to live here than Sydney. 

I like both countries and could happily live in either, there are pros and cons to both and you have to work with them. On which note I  have just booked my first weekend to Europe ?

Edited by ScottieGirl
  • Like 3