Moving to Australia!

iomhayley

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong being content with life no matter where you live.

Absolutely but then to say there is no where in the UK to go for a weekend break is just a little silly - be happy where you are and leave others to be happy where they are (& yes sometimes I should practice that too!)

Your holiday sounds fab, I took seven holidays/weekend breaks in 2016 so 2017 will be a bit quieter. Hoping to get a weeks snowboarding in February but that will depend on work - my current contract is ending & my OH is a worry wart so unless I'm working he won't be keen to spend the money. I fancy doing the North Coast 500 in Scotland in the summer and then our main holiday in October to Southern Italy for a couple of weeks.

I'm hoping our next 'big adventure' will be South America, like you though I am starting to appreciate there's no place like home, must be an age thing. My dad is 85 and has no interest in going anywhere - he said 'he's seen all he wants to see'.

Absolutely but then to say there is no where in the UK to go for a weekend break is just a little silly - be happy where you are and leave others to be happy where they are (& yes sometimes I should practice that too!)

Your holiday sounds fab, I took seven holidays/weekend breaks in 2016 so 2017 will be a bit quieter. Hoping to get a weeks snowboarding in February but that will depend on work - my current contract is ending & my OH is a worry wart so unless I'm working he won't be keen to spend the money. I fancy doing the North Coast 500 in Scotland in the summer and then our main holiday in October to Southern Italy for a couple of weeks.

I'm hoping our next 'big adventure' will be South America, like you though I am starting to appreciate there's no place like home, must be an age thing. My dad is 85 and has no interest in going anywhere - he said 'he's seen all he wants to see'.

:smile:

Smiling at your Dad's comment. My Dad never went anywhere. He was perfectly happy working a 7 day week on a farm. :eek: He went to England twice. Once on their honeymoon to Harrogate and once to a friend's funeral the other side of Carlisle. Mum just accepted it but after Dad died she loved visiting my brother, sister and I wherever we happened to be living and working at the time so she did get to see a fair few different countries and she loved it.

Smiling at your Dad's comment. My Dad never went anywhere. He was perfectly happy working a 7 day week on a farm. :eek: He went to England twice. Once on their honeymoon to Harrogate and once to a friend's funeral the other side of Carlisle. Mum just accepted it but after Dad died she loved visiting my brother, sister and I wherever we happened to be living and working at the time so she did get to see a fair few different countries and she loved it.

My dad never got as far as that. Born in Robinhoods bay, lived in Middlesbrough most of his life and other than one short weekend in London many years ago hasn't been further than Scarborough. It is also the biggest regret of his life and now he is in no position to get even as far as Scarborough.

@Lady Rainicorn ............... just to add further to my last post replying to your post, if you get good weather the North Coast 500 is absolutely wonderful!! Mum was originally from just outside Inverness and on one of our summer holiday trips back to Scotland we did a fair bit of driving up north with her and and covered a lot of the west coast and surrounding areas. Marvellous scenery.

Hi

There is a lot of talk about the pros and cons of Perth. I have never been there. However, I can definitely sell the benefits of Brisbane. We love it here. I wouldn't say that the job market is buoyant but it certainly isn't stagnant. It is a lovely area for families - everything you need from a city without being impersonal like London or Sydney. There are heaps of nice suburbs to choose from depending on the sort of lifestyle that you are after - city apartment living to acreage, all within easy reach of the city.

Beaches are an hour or so from most locations. My husband and I have found people very friendly - we have a better social life than in the UK.

Weather - you definitely need to think about. I love the spring, autumn and winter. Summer is doable, but you have to be prepared to accept that you will walk around dripping with sweat! It is very humid. However, we have a pool and spend most afternoons in there at the moment to cool off. Spent the morning cutting the hedge and it is a huge effort doing something physical like that in 30+ degree heat + humidity.

Whichever you choose, it will be a BIG change from the Isle of Man. When you say that you want a better lifestyle for your family, I am not sure what you mean. What do you think that Australia will offer you that Isle of Man doesn't? If it is work opportunities, then probably in Brisbane, yes. If it is a community spirit, then I would be surprised that Isle of Man isn't better. If you want city, beach, mountains, reasonable job opportunities then Brisbane is your place :-)

I do genuinely believe you are happy and not simply a troll but the life you described is not enough for most people. If I was your wife I genuinely think I would have left you by now!

Busselton, Bunbury, Margaret River. Albany are all lovely places but you cannot compare them for a weekend break to Edinburgh, Liverpool, London or the New Forrest, Peak District or one of the many other national parks. No wonder you don't feel the need to go away, once you've been to these places once or twice there is nothing more to see.

Unable to bear another Perth Christmas I wanted to get away, now it's an expensive time of year and so 99% of the places on your list were 'not worth the expensive when we have been so many times before' so we looked at Esperance - now you maybe so Aussiefied that you think Esperance is close to Perth but I live pretty far North in the UK and Esperance is further from Perth than Lands End is from me! That's a flight to me not a drive! And it was going to cost $1500 each for a flights/hotel package. We ended up going to Mandurah :)

I often find myself arguing with you and I often wonder why I bother, we are just very different people - I want to get out and explore the world, I live by the motto I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death. Moving to Australia was part of the big adventure of life, it just went on 2-3 years too long.

Happy Christmas Paul, I hope you enjoy every moment and I'm sure you will.

It's enough for everyone we know LR, including my wife and kids who love it just as much as I do.

I used to live a stones throw from the peak district and drove over the Snake Pass too many times to remember. My wife lived in Manchester and me near Chesterfield, so every weekend for years when we were courting.

While it can be beautiful for the most part it's bleak. I remember hardly being able to see the road for fog or rain and you'd see someone emerge from a footpath with a backpack. Used to wonder why anyone would bother.

I guess if you lived in a big City, in the rat race, then it could be a big adventure but I've been lucky enough never to get sucked into that lifestyle.

You've got to take into account that we don't just go to the beach to sit around and sunbathe. We have boards, surf skis, go for long swims. That's including my wife too BTW although she sits still and chats a bit more than me. She thinks I'm undiagnosed ADHD and she could be right.

Good that what suits one doesn't suit all though.

Have a good one LR and everyone else.

Edited by Paul1Perth

Last week I was out with my son and we stumbled across a housing estate being built on the edge of a village, I mentioned we had thought about living here when we first moved back - actually I was thinking it may have been okay after all and my son said he was glad we hadn't and when I enquiried why he said 'they look like fake houses like they have in Australia' - I swear this is not an idea we put in his head! It was 8 years ago we were house hunting in Australia and 'fake mansions' is not a term I used - McMansions maybe :)

Yup ! Bang on.

Port Kennedy, used to be cheapest place to get a big house, probably still is.

Not that I'd have said no to one when I lived there! But I know which of the two I'd rather have.

I guess if you lived in a big City, in the rat race, then it could be a big adventure but I've been lucky enough never to get sucked into that lifestyle.

Maybe that was the problem, my time in Perth was the only time I've ever lived in the suburbs of a city & the only time I got sucked into the rat race (was even thinking of doing an MBA FFS!) - ironically I expected the very opposite of my life in Australia - even more play & even less work.

Probably doesn't help OP but I loved Perth as a student in 2001 and as a tourist in 2005/2016! I think it has lots to offer both tourists and as an extremely liveable city for families. Maybe I'm boring but these days I don't need to be off away every weekend. With 2 young kids that's usually more faff & hassle than it's worth anyway! Lol! There are loads of places to visit in the UK, you can't deny it but they also come with a lot of hassle generally as every holiday ,every other bugger has turned up to said tourist attraction / beauty spot!

Took my daughter to the pantomime on Saturday in a nearby town...could we park, no we couldn't...only spaces were hour and half only....not much use when panto was 2.5hrs! Ended up abandoning car and hoping for no traffic wardens. Missed first 15mins. I won't miss that in Tassie.

Probably doesn't help OP but I loved Perth as a student in 2001 and as a tourist in 2005/2016! I think it has lots to offer both tourists and as an extremely liveable city for families. Maybe I'm boring but these days I don't need to be off away every weekend. With 2 young kids that's usually more faff & hassle than it's worth anyway! Lol! There are loads of places to visit in the UK, you can't deny it but they also come with a lot of hassle generally as every holiday ,every other bugger has turned up to said tourist attraction / beauty spot!

Took my daughter to the pantomime on Saturday in a nearby town...could we park, no we couldn't...only spaces were hour and half only....not much use when panto was 2.5hrs! Ended up abandoning car and hoping for no traffic wardens. Missed first 15mins. I won't miss that in Tassie.

When are you planning to arrive in Tasmania with your family @Bound4Tassie? I believe your Aussie family are in Ulverstone? Was there the other day - fab dog beach and some good shops to browse around in town. All in all it's a very nice little town. Summer is here now and the weather is lovely. Been swimming a few times at the Bluff beach (Devonport). Your little ones would enjoy it there and there's also a good kid's playground right next to the beach.

Maybe that was the problem, my time in Perth was the only time I've ever lived in the suburbs of a city & the only time I got sucked into the rat race (was even thinking of doing an MBA FFS!) - ironically I expected the very opposite of my life in Australia - even more play & even less work.

Know what you mean about the MBA LR. Most pretentious qualification I've ever come across. Has to be an American idea that surely. I've been on so many American organised courses where the lecturer was full of the own importance. Most of those people have never had a real job.

When are you planning to arrive in Tasmania with your family @Bound4Tassie? I believe your Aussie family are in Ulverstone? Was there the other day - fab dog beach and some good shops to browse around in town. All in all it's a very nice little town. Summer is here now and the weather is lovely. Been swimming a few times at the Bluff beach (Devonport). Your little ones would enjoy it there and there's also a good kid's playground right next to the beach.

Looking at flights for mid November

I think some of the comments have been a little harsh on Perth and area. We live in Mandurah and with a young family have a better lifestyle than we ever did in the UK. I appreciate that people will have different views on what a better lifestyle is, but happier, active, outgoing children must be up there. Work opportunities for some is limited but I know many Poms who have obtained work without the network of friends and family to assist them. I have noticed many people on Facebook forums who moan about the lack of work, but can't put a simple sentence together without me cringing. We have started to venture south, but have yet failed to go past St Hilary's. I have already visited Vietnam since arriving last year and plan to see more of Asia over the next few years (not just Bali!) I have to agree that Perth has plenty going on, I am of a sporty nature so with so many sporting teams I am easily pleased. I really can't see what people are moaning about!

Edited by benj1980

There really are some snobs on here. Seriously way to get a downer on someones excitement. Realism is one thing but really it doesn't need to be so offensive.

i was thinking more more along the lines of pretentious wannabes rather than snobs :biglaugh:

Of course the 'fake' mansion is affordable by may, the 'real' by few. If people like the fakes I can't see anything wrong with it. British snobbery ?

I purposefully chose two properties around the same price. I think it says far more about Australia materialism that people want houses like that - style over substance. I used to live in Essex and there was a lot of that sort of thing there too.