Moving to Australia!

iomhayley

True(or the TV shows flogging Australia), salaries do indeed to be better here I think overall, then again cost of living I think is generally higher.

People are ever ready to be severely flogged through believing sales shows that proliferate on UK TV. It's a question of wanting to believe there is something better yonder.

Just how much longer wages will out shine UK in a difficult question to answer as well. A higher than anticipated or desired by many, dollar, has kept advantage Australia.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange that there is a post from someone who's been here 3 weeks and reckons it's better than the UK then.

There are a number of factors, what you do, what your experience and qualifications are and where you are from in the UK. I know it's still pretty dire in the North as I've got a couple of nephews in their mid 20s and one has just managed to get on a uni course as he couldn't get a job and the other one has done a uni course and is working in a pub.

I've seen a lot written about isolation of Perth but we've lived here 25 years and honestly don't notice or think about it. Perth has everything we need and when we used to go on holiday from the UK we would have been flying somewhere.

Living in Perth we don't feel the need for a holiday like we used to in the UK.

Ive been lucky enough to travel to most of the big cities with work and Brisbane would be my second favourite. It's a trip to beaches but the sunshine coast and gold coast are in fairly easy reach. Brisbane is a good, lively City. Sydney is great but crowded and expensive.

I feel the exact opposite to you. The 'smallness' and isolation of Perth, has both of us craving for a outward exit at least once a year. On my part, I did not feel the same need to escape from London, but did so with regularity for other reasons. But fair enough personal needs of course differ.

I have to agree with most of the comments here about Perth. Jobs are NOT abundant at the minute. Just heard on the radio that unemployment is on the rise. House prices are still high. If you want to live by the ocean you will pay very high. Distance is a major factor in where you live for work too. Some lovely places but just too far away to commute. You have a very young child. If you are used to family and friends nearby you may feel lonely. Of course the + with having a baby is you will meet people at childcare and school in a few years so easier to meet new friends, and you are very young (so jealous) :-))) which helps.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

On the rise and second highest now in Australia. Imagine the 'boom state' of a mere two years ago, now only behind Tasmania in unemployment figures. Officially just under 7% but I think most know that doesn't reflect the true figures. Many have moved out of the state, others are part time employed at far reduced income, while others have just left the work force and not bothering seeking employment.

This is certainly a dangerous time if they are only talking the market up.

Denial creates stagnation and when a few desperate sellers wobble, the effects are not good.

This downturn, is going to be a very long one.

My mate was told there was no danger of his oil company ever rehiring as they expect the oil price to stay either permanently low or remain low for many years to come, and they told him that they were streamlining their operations so that they could run with an absolute minimum headcount even in the event of an upturn.

The ones who did keep their jobs had to take I think it was a 25% pay cut and are running around like stressed out headless chickens trying to manage the workload which the others used to do, and having to work much longer hours to keep up and also in fear of losing their jobs in this climate.

I understand that the labour market is saturated with engineers and trades right now.

Strange thing is in UK, the economy is improving since the Brexit vote, and the job market back home is looking better than it did this time last year.

Your mate was wrong about the oil price then wasn't he. Only last week OPEC and the Russians agreed to cut back on production and instantly oils $10 a barrel dearer.

I remember 6 months ago, so called experts were saying iron ore was going to be at $30 a tonne for years to come. A few weeks later prices were creeping up and recently back up to $60 odd a tonne.

Perth will be OK.

• Like 1

Just OK? Well a change from previous comments of over flattery I suppose. Perth is back to norms. Not that easy to secure employment. The boom bust cycle lives on. Likely a rather long wait between rounds for the next 'boom' though. How far Perth will fall has yet to be seen. Mining is still unwinding and has another eighteen months of doing so as I believe. By then construction should be coming off the boil as well.

Nothing else of note to take up the slack in sight.

Perth should IMO concentrate on becoming a centre for arts and cultural of the region. Make it a fun place, encourage tourism. A centre of learning and education excellence. A creative centre and a place of clear identity. Lets rid ourselves of the quarry image and the bogans with it.

Your mate was wrong about the oil price then wasn't he. Only last week OPEC and the Russians agreed to cut back on production and instantly oils $10 a barrel dearer.

Perth will be OK.

I am not a financial person, but I am struggling to buy into what you have just said.

That's far too simplistic an explanation and way too optimistic, why cant you understand that markets do not respond that way. We all know about the simple supply and demand model but it doesn't apply like that.

The spike you have seen is the result of a stronger dollar rather than oil fundamentals. Haven't you noticed that the dollar was at a 14 year high against a number of currencies since the federal reserve raised the interest rates or did that one just go by you ?

That jump you saw doesn't change the underlying fact that there is far too much oil out there for a long time to come.

These delivery cut announcements only provide psychological support to market bulls and optimists that OPEC will actually follow through with their output cuts -they may not and just let Saudi & Iran get on with flooding the market with even cheaper oil.

Wouldn't get too excited about the oil price going up only just to where it was a few months back just yet.

The effects of the OPEC cut back (if they will actually deliver what they promised..) will not be felt for a very long time if even at all. The big money is not coming back.

If you read your news, to make matters worse, there is also a new pipeline being completed in Libya which will link 2 major oilfields and add an extra 350.000 barrels per day to our global oil supply and this alone is expected to counter these meagre cuts that OPEC said they could deliver.

Talking up something that hasn't happened and not likely to will only see the price return to where it should be between $40-$50 for the foreseeable future.

It will correct itself as will Perth's weakening housing markets being talked up by real estate agents

Perth may well be OK, but right now its over priced, not worth it and its over valued property market will show its worth in due course.

But above all else, its an isolated lonely place to live in with a declining job market, and poor employment prospects.

Edited by Home and Happy

Just OK? Well a change from previous comments of over flattery I suppose. Perth is back to norms. Not that easy to secure employment. The boom bust cycle lives on. Likely a rather long wait between rounds for the next 'boom' though. How far Perth will fall has yet to be seen. Mining is still unwinding and has another eighteen months of doing so as I believe. By then construction should be coming off the boil as well.

Nothing else of note to take up the slack in sight.

Perth should IMO concentrate on becoming a centre for arts and cultural of the region. Make it a fun place, encourage tourism. A centre of learning and education excellence. A creative centre and a place of clear identity. Lets rid ourselves of the quarry image and the bogans with it.

Yeh, we all know there's loads of money and jobs in arts and culture flag.

Perth already is a fun place mate. I'm just happy that a lot of people are yet to discover it. I think there are already too many people here.

I am not a financial person, but I am struggling to buy into what you have just said.

That's far too simplistic an explanation and way too optimistic, why cant you understand that markets do not respond that way. We all know about the simple supply and demand model but it doesn't apply like that.

The spike you have seen is the result of a stronger dollar rather than oil fundamentals. Haven't you noticed that the dollar was at a 14 year high against a number of currencies since the federal reserve raised the interest rates or did that one just go by you ?

That jump you saw doesn't change the underlying fact that there is far too much oil out there for a long time to come.

These delivery cut announcements only provide psychological support to market bulls and optimists that OPEC will actually follow through with their output cuts -they may not and just let Saudi & Iran get on with flooding the market with even cheaper oil.

Wouldn't get too excited about the oil price going up only just to where it was a few months back just yet.

The effects of the OPEC cut back (if they will actually deliver what they promised..) will not be felt for a very long time if even at all. The big money is not coming back.

If you read your news, to make matters worse, there is also a new pipeline being completed in Libya which will link 2 major oilfields and add an extra 350.000 barrels per day to our global oil supply and this alone is expected to counter these meagre cuts that OPEC said they could deliver.

Talking up something that hasn't happened and not likely to will only see the price return to where it should be between $40-$50 for the foreseeable future.

It will correct itself as will Perth's weakening housing markets being talked up by real estate agents

Perth may well be OK, but right now its over priced, not worth it and its over valued property market will show its worth in due course.

But above all else, its an isolated lonely place to live in with a declining job market, and poor employment prospects.

Sorry you felt isolated and lonely here. The people I hang around with don't.

Yeh, we all know there's loads of money and jobs in arts and culture flag.

Perth already is a fun place mate. I'm just happy that a lot of people are yet to discover it. I think there are already too many people here.

Very little to attract tourism. Yes there certainly is money in cultural pursuits if handled right. Turning Perth into an interesting place to visit, with special focus on creativity, music, arts, Indian ocean area centre of arts, more night time options to wine and dine.

Relying on mining has forever screwed us with boom/bust cycles and all that goes with that. We can be more than just a bogan centre from making money from the ground, with very little else outside of service to support the economy during times of bust.

Perth needs far better planning. Better public transport options. Less sprawl but intelligent density. More people with ideas to take the city to another level. Melbourne promotes itself for its cultural pursuits. Perth could , with a will, do better.

Sorry you felt isolated and lonely here. The people I hang around with don't.

No, PERTH is isolated.

There is nothing else there.

You have to love it and sing its praises, because you have literally nowhere else to go.

It's when you feel like a wee weekend break and know that its either going to have to be Margaret River or Mandurah yet again, or the Swan Valley ....yet again .....for the hundredth time.

Had to laugh because, as for culture, you can bring as many poets, theatre groups and artists to Perth but the bogans still wont get it and the tourists still won't want to come.

No, PERTH is isolated.

You have to love it and sing its praises, because you have literally nowhere else to go.

It's when you feel like a wee weekend break and know that its either going to have to be Margaret River or Mandurah yet again, or the Swan Valley ....yet again .....for the hundredth time.

Had to laugh because, as for culture, you can bring as many poets, theatre groups and artists to Perth but the bogans still wont get it and the tourists still won't want to come.

Can you explain why Quantas are going to run a non stop from Heathrow to Perth? It can't be just to take people back to the UK :wink:

Can you explain why Quantas are going to run a non stop from Heathrow to Perth? It can't be just to take people back to the UK :wink:

As a further thought to that it can't be hubbing either - living in Brisbane it would still be Singapore.

Seems like the WA Government are serious about supporting tourism!!

Edited by Ferrets

Might it be the fact that all the new Boeing 787-9's they purchased which they intend to use on the route offers a much greater extended flying range and will save them a rather a lot of money code sharing the route with BA and other carriers plus the money they save on landing fees and refuelling at Singapore.

I wish them all the best in bringing in the tourists and the whole cultural thing (still cant see the bogans going for it though).

With accommodation being so pricey in Perth though, it could open up 'Air B&B' or Homestay opportunities for some.

I mean why not if you have a couple of spare rooms and room in the house for a family.

Make loads of new friends and make loads of money at the same time !!

No, PERTH is isolated.

Where would you go on a weekend break in the UK? We used to live in Chesterfield and Manchester so I guess the equivalent of Margaret River might have been Skegness or Blackpool? Other than that you're jumping on a plane somewhere warm, with all the hassles of airports, travelling.

Not even an option of somewhere like the swan valley. Pretty lacking in world class wineries half hours drive away I seem to remember.

Where would you go on a weekend break in the UK? We used to live in Chesterfield and Manchester so I guess the equivalent of Margaret River might have been Skegness or Blackpool? Other than that you're jumping on a plane somewhere warm, with all the hassles of airports, travelling.

Not even an option of somewhere like the swan valley. Pretty lacking in world class wineries half hours drive away I seem to remember.

London

whitby

North York moors

Edinburgh

Highlands

Lake District

Cornwall

Arran

York

jurassic coast

Windsor

Thats just the ones that popped into my head in the fist seconds and of which each gets millions of visitors per year.

You are right to ignore Melbourne and Sydney. They are overcrowded, over priced and over rated.

Good employment prospects though.

I love Sydney. Definitely not overrated for me. There are pockets without crowds. For example, Dural and Galston are lovely semi-rural areas. Full of peach orchards, countryside and horses. But still within travelling distance to the CBD.

Otherwise I have never been. But I have heard that Canberra is a nice place to live.

I think it all really depends on what part of the UK you are living in. If you are close to London the eurostar gets you to Paris fairly quickly not the same hassle with an airport. Ma

Even as you mention the hassles of airports, most of Europe you can get to within 1 or 2 hours flight, an hour at the airport for checkin. Travel to Europe is pretty painless and cheap with the discount carriers. Travel from Perth to another city is long and most likely expensive. Perth is the most isolated city in the world.

I think it all really depends on what part of the UK you are living in. If you are close to London the eurostar gets you to Paris fairly quickly not the same hassle with an airport. Ma

Even as you mention the hassles of airports, most of Europe you can get to within 1 or 2 hours flight, an hour at the airport for checkin. Travel to Europe is pretty painless and cheap with the discount carriers. Travel from Perth to another city is long and most likely expensive. Perth is the most isolated city in the world.

The point is though there is everything we need in Perth so isolated it may be but it doesn't bother us one bit.

I've been to most places on verystormies list and wouldn't go out of my way for any of them. We went to the Lake District twice, hated it. Sat in traffic jams for hours, weather was crap, they didn't want kids in cafes and we were struggling to find things to do to kill time. Sure you can sit in the pub to keep warm but it's expensive.

It's easy to generate lists. If we felt the need we have

Busselton, Bunbury, Margaret River, Denmark, Esperance, Albany going South.

Most of them will be busy at Christmas. Some of our friends are going camping to the porongarups (National park about 300 km South) so there are heaps of places to go but don't feel the need to get away. I've got 6 weeks off starting Friday and can't wait. Get up early, meet up with friends at the beach, exercise, go for a coffee and check out the list of things my wife will have left me, do a couple of them, mess around with the guitar for a bit then maybe an afternoon nap.

Great time, own bed at night and so cheap.

The point is though there is everything we need in Perth so isolated it may be but it doesn't bother us one bit.

I've been to most places on verystormies list and wouldn't go out of my way for any of them. We went to the Lake District twice, hated it. Sat in traffic jams for hours, weather was crap, they didn't want kids in cafes and we were struggling to find things to do to kill time. Sure you can sit in the pub to keep warm but it's expensive.

It's easy to generate lists. If we felt the need we have

Busselton, Bunbury, Margaret River, Denmark, Esperance, Albany going South.

Most of them will be busy at Christmas. Some of our friends are going camping to the porongarups (National park about 300 km South) so there are heaps of places to go but don't feel the need to get away. I've got 6 weeks off starting Friday and can't wait. Get up early, meet up with friends at the beach, exercise, go for a coffee and check out the list of things my wife will have left me, do a couple of them, mess around with the guitar for a bit then maybe an afternoon nap.

Great time, own bed at night and so cheap.

I do genuinely believe you are happy and not simply a troll but the life you described is not enough for most people. If I was your wife I genuinely think I would have left you by now!

Busselton, Bunbury, Margaret River. Albany are all lovely places but you cannot compare them for a weekend break to Edinburgh, Liverpool, London or the New Forrest, Peak District or one of the many other national parks. No wonder you don't feel the need to go away, once you've been to these places once or twice there is nothing more to see.

Unable to bear another Perth Christmas I wanted to get away, now it's an expensive time of year and so 99% of the places on your list were 'not worth the expensive when we have been so many times before' so we looked at Esperance - now you maybe so Aussiefied that you think Esperance is close to Perth but I live pretty far North in the UK and Esperance is further from Perth than Lands End is from me! That's a flight to me not a drive! And it was going to cost $1500 each for a flights/hotel package. We ended up going to Mandurah :)

I often find myself arguing with you and I often wonder why I bother, we are just very different people - I want to get out and explore the world, I live by the motto I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death. Moving to Australia was part of the big adventure of life, it just went on 2-3 years too long.

Happy Christmas Paul, I hope you enjoy every moment and I'm sure you will.

I do genuinely believe you are happy and not simply a troll but the life you described is not enough for most people. If I was your wife I genuinely think I would have left you by now!

Busselton, Bunbury, Margaret River. Albany are all lovely places but you cannot compare them for a weekend break to Edinburgh, Liverpool, London or the New Forrest, Peak District or one of the many other national parks. No wonder you don't feel the need to go away, once you've been to these places once or twice there is nothing more to see.

Unable to bear another Perth Christmas I wanted to get away, now it's an expensive time of year and so 99% of the places on your list were 'not worth the expensive when we have been so many times before' so we looked at Esperance - now you maybe so Aussiefied that you think Esperance is close to Perth but I live pretty far North in the UK and Esperance is further from Perth than Lands End is from me! That's a flight to me not a drive! And it was going to cost $1500 each for a flights/hotel package. We ended up going to Mandurah :)

I often find myself arguing with you and I often wonder why I bother, we are just very different people - I want to get out and explore the world, I live by the motto I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death. Moving to Australia was part of the big adventure of life, it just went on 2-3 years too long.

Busselton ??.......NO !!! I would not wish Busselton on anyone !!

Just when you were thinking how isolated, monotonous and repetitive Perth can get, you go down to Busselton and realise its not so bad in Perth.

Busselton ??.......NO !!! I would not wish Busselton on anyone !!

Just when you were thinking how isolated, monotonous and repetitive Perth can get, you go down to Busselton and realise its not so bad in Perth.

I actually rather liked Busso - used to go there on school camps, I think we even had a family holiday there once but it was just a case of getting away from it all for a few days, chilling out, drinking wine etc. not much to stimulate the mind or senses, though the pier is stunning. My OH could see little point going anywhere when everywhere you went was just 'another beach'. One of my favourite holidays was to the Stirling Ranges - actually got to do some walking that raised my heart-rate :)

In our child free days before coming to Australia we explored as much of the UK as we could. When living in London, we'd take off at weekends and visit loads of different places and then we moved up to the Liverpool area and that was great for heading off to my very favourite parts of England - North Yorkshire, Cumbria, County Durham and Northumberland. Holidays were to Scotland & Europe.

Just after the New Year I'm off to Cambodia, Thailand and Myanmar with a couple of friends. I certainly don't do as much travelling as I did in the past but I'm a bit like you, I need to have a bit of adventure in my life. I've become a bit of a stick in the mud since coming to Tasmania ( a very happy one I must add) but I've got itchy feet again so it's time to get away for a few weeks. OH isn't interested as he's become even more of a stick in the mud than me, though he's kept busy with all sorts of activities.

Yes, you and Paul are very different people. He's happy where he is - not many people can say that and he's never bored. Nothing wrong being content with life no matter where you live.