Moving back after 8 years in Perth.

george70

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dream on. theres about 10p difference to what you pay in your pub & what we pay in our pub in nsw.

$5 a pint? I don't believe you, not at regular prices. There are a couple of pubs in Sydney where they do that at happy hour, but generally *everywhere* I've been in NSW is $6-$7.50 for a schooner these days, from cooking lager to craft beer, and the places that do pints will start around $8.50 minimum, up to $10

$5 a pint at regular prices? No way, Jose. Not even cheap beer in RSLs

I doubt you will see parents ageing in only 14 months!

I haven't seen my parents for nearly 5 years as my partner and me never went back as yet but are in the planning for next year (not UK but Europe).

We had the in-laws here last year to mid Feb this year so could catch up with family onshore.

My spouse and me are not keen to go to Europe but we will fly out for the first time in 2017 after more than 5 years in OZ to see my parents, brother, uncles, aunties, old friends...and of course travel to places we have never been to as just going back where we came it's not our intention and we only do so in order to see family.

As for going back/leaving the party, few reasons:

• Bit of a feeling that we’ve ‘done’ Perth & WA (we felt this way after about 2 or 3 years here).

• The job situation is (beyond) grim in Perth, economically WA has a few years of trouble ahead I think.

• By and large Aussies are gobshites.

• Family and friends getting older in the UK/missing out on stuff.

Perth is a lovely place, very good to bring up little kids. Bit boring for teens and young adults I reckon. It’s not very contemporary and it’s very easy to become middle-aged and boring very quickly. It’s also very materialistic here or at least it seems to turn people that way. And we hate all that.

Just fancy the change back, might regret it, might not.

This is so funny and I can relate to it all.

The UK on the other hand seems to be having a bit of a boom right now.

You would be making the right move coming back because there's plenty of jobs, certainly in England at least.

Been in Perth 17 years seemed to enjoy the first few years .Like a working holiday have come to find most people are plastic here quality doesnt amount to much its all about quantity .We have put the house on the market and will be moving back to the uk the only thing ill miss is the wild life (we live in the hills ).Will not miss the rude and dangerous driving on all the roads here .

That's a fair old stretch mate. No one can say you didn't give it a fair try !!

Hi George

You really have put the cat among the pidgions (:policeman:) good old Manchester I am from BOLTON and yes thinking of going home after almost 30 years 68 hubby past recently the nest is empty but have my companion Chloe. Your new best friends don't also realise that Manchester as OLD FROSTY KNICKERS ...... THE GOVERNESS now has Perth got one of those ha ha xx

I imagine Perth has more nightlife than Stratford upon Avon. I don't think it's that that pb was complaining about. When you live in Perth, it's not long before you have done everything, and then you do it again. Perhaps isolated is a better term than boring. In the UK, if you get bored you just travel out a bit further. You have to travel a long way in Perth to get anywhere.

I drive through Stratford at least twice a week ,and yes I can confirm Perth has more nightlife ....i don't get all the knocking of Perth myself ...great place for young families,plenty of space ,good weather ...whats the issue ?

I chose not to live there ,but probably should have .

The one place I immediately didn't like was Melbourne ...just not for me .

I have friends who visit Melbourne and rave about it ...horses for courses

I drive through Stratford at least twice a week ,and yes I can confirm Perth has more nightlife ....i don't get all the knocking of Perth myself ...great place for young families,plenty of space ,good weather ...whats the issue ?

I chose not to live there ,but probably should have .

The one place I immediately didn't like was Melbourne ...just not for me .

I have friends who visit Melbourne and rave about it ...horses for courses

I also enjoyed the few years I lived in Perth but at that time we had very young kids so we weren't looking for nightlife. The dry heat didn't bother me as much as the humidity in Sydney. I rather liked the winters there too as my OH built our house and ensured it was well insulated and we had a log heater. I have only visited Melbourne not lived there but I liked it. As you say, horses of courses. Now I live in a place that is very quiet and as far as I know not much nightlife but that's why we moved here. It wouldn't suit a lot of people but I revel in it.

I also enjoyed the few years I lived in Perth but at that time we had very young kids so we weren't looking for nightlife. The dry heat didn't bother me as much as the humidity in Sydney. I rather liked the winters there too as my OH built our house and ensured it was well insulated and we had a log heater. I have only visited Melbourne not lived there but I liked it. As you say, horses of courses. Now I live in a place that is very quiet and as far as I know not much nightlife but that's why we moved here. It wouldn't suit a lot of people but I revel in it.

One of the main reasons that I love lake garda in Italy ,is that there are no nightclubs ,which makes it a more family orientated place

I also enjoyed the few years I lived in Perth but at that time we had very young kids so we weren't looking for nightlife. The dry heat didn't bother me as much as the humidity in Sydney. I rather liked the winters there too as my OH built our house and ensured it was well insulated and we had a log heater. I have only visited

Melbourne not lived there but I liked it. As you say, horses of courses. Now I live in a place that is very quiet and as far as I know not much nightlife but that's why we moved here. It wouldn't suit a lot of people but I revel in it.

P.s I have good friends of ours ,aussies,who live in devonport

Oh my god the drivers, believe me they were no better in Queensland, any preconceived ideas of laid back Aussie's go straight out the window when they get behind the wheel.
what you really want to do in Perth for a fun day out is follow my father on a long drive. Did it once. Never again. Also make sure I get the directions and meet him there nowadays. It's almost like he's on a mission to upset every bad driver in Perth, and God do they rise to the bait. When you follow him, they all take out their frustrations on you. Came so close to dieing several times. Driving below the limit in the fast lane is his favourite trick, when he's not parrallel driving with his geriatric mates, blocking the whole freeway. You can feel the road rage bubbling behind him.

I think the issue with Perth nightlife is that the city centre is pretty small. There is a good range of bars and restaurants, but there very much places for suits / after work office crowd and generally expensive and so soulless.

People say Freo is better, but personally I didn't think so. It reminded me of Camden today. Somewhere that had a rough edge that gave it character but which has now been gentrified / hipsterfied and feels very plastic. A sort of theme park of a cool place somewhere full of wealthy corporates who like to play hippy on a weekend. Its like the guys you see cruising around Freo on a weekend on Harlys trying to look like easy rider, but we know that actually there not so much the untamed nomad biker but Brian from accounts who dresses up on a weekend.

I think the issue with Perth nightlife is that the city centre is pretty small. There is a good range of bars and restaurants, but there very much places for suits / after work office crowd and generally expensive and so soulless.

People say Freo is better, but personally I didn't think so. It reminded me of Camden today. Somewhere that had a rough edge that gave it character but which has now been gentrified / hipsterfied and feels very plastic. A sort of theme park of a cool place somewhere full of wealthy corporates who like to play hippy on a weekend. Its like the guys you see cruising around Freo on a weekend on Harlys trying to look like easy rider, but we know that actually there not so much the untamed nomad biker but Brian from accounts who dresses up on a weekend.

brilliant....

Really?? What a load of tosh.

of course perth has more nightlife than stratford :biglaugh: perth s a major city in oz...jezzzz...still frigging boring though.

....... but it obviously suits a fair few folk. Perth gets a bad rep from a lot of people but do you really think it's all that bad? I just thought it was a lovely clean city and I'll always remember when we arrived back in Sydney and was shocked at the crowds and the hustle and bustle. I soon got used to it but I was never really a city lover and used to escape from the city whenever I got the chance. Bit like London - nice to visit but I wouldn't live there for quids.