Moving back after 8 years in Perth.

george70

I could manage it of course, but there are better places. To my mind a very youth focused Cali type place. As for joining a tennis club, if anything like the yacht club, a home for the smug, self satisfied, snobby and very convinced of their superior position that life has awarded them.

You'd of course be curtailed from boredom influenced alcoholism here owing to the cost of the amber liquid. Then of course there are the places 'Down South', in places like Albany, where aged people gather in retirement to some degree of abundance. Brisk early morning swims, a modern entertainment centre, bridge club, some good walks, away from the Perth summer heat but only five hours away. Talk about spoiled for choice.

I'm sure some tennis clubs are like yacht clubs or golf clubs. Ours did get snooty about the state of my squash shoes, (I'm not a member), but it can be a cheaper easier way to play if you avoid the bullshit that goes with it.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is true for an awful lot of people PB no doubt about it - you just need to read the Moving Back To The UK thread to see that those things are very important to many of them. I admit to being a Philistine. Going to museums and art galleries and even the theatre doesn't interest me much these days. I've been to Europe loads of times and travelled all over the place there - also lived there for a while. I'm kept busy with lots of other interests now. Don't forget, we are all different. There's nothing wrong with people being happy and content where they live - even those you sneer at in Perth. As long as they're happy that's all that matters. The ones that aren't will leave when they get the chance. I don't see any problem with that. Each to their own.

Perth art gallery is quite good considering where it is. We often visit when we are in town. They had a fantastic aboriginal display, (not dot painting) a few years back. The had an excellent students display last time I was there. It's not the Tate, but it's worth a look. Plus it's free.

Guest Michaela60
It was always on the cards. I got laid off again and decided that I didn't want to hang around for months waiting to see if another HR department would grant me another start. So 28 days later we were back in England. Glad to be here, rain and all. You can keep the 50 plus heat, it was damaging my health.

50? There are exagerations galore on PIO but that's probably sets a new record.

Perth art gallery is quite good considering where it is. We often visit when we are in town. They had a fantastic aboriginal display, (not dot painting) a few years back. The had an excellent students display last time I was there. It's not the Tate, but it's worth a look. Plus it's free.

I went when we lived there. If I'm ever in Perth again, I'll have another look.

50? There are exagerations galore on PIO but that's probably sets a new record.

It's the same when people exaggerate about how cold it gets in Tasmania. It's milder here in the winter than many a mainland town e.g. Canberra and not nearly so hot in the summer. Lovely long, warm summers here.

Guest Michaela60
46.7 in the shade record high in Feb 1991.

He was talking as though 50+ was common and you come back with the record hottest day. Have another try...

Edited by Michaela60

Didn’t think my post would generate so much interest and debate.

I think Perth’s isolation is a key issue. I’m from Manchester and love it but if you ripped Manchester from the UK and plonked it on a desert island that was an expensive 5-hour flight from anywhere else, I’m sure after 2 or 3 years I would be moaning about Manchester being boring. But, and this is the key, that’s not an issue in the UK; the UK has plenty of ‘Perths’ or better and so does Europe which is a spit away.

I don’t like to bad-mouth Perth; we have (in the main) enjoyed our time here. The CBD has improved a lot for eats & drinks in the 8 years we have been here. And we really like Freo. To be fair, if you haven’t lived here for 10 years, you’re not really qualified to comment. Man City used to be shite 10 years ago but they’re not now are they? As I mentioned initially, if you have a young family, Perth is great, they’ll enjoy parks and pools and beaches galore. But there must be a reason why London is full of young Aussie adults, cheap ale, 10 million pubs, a general atmos of youth, there is none of that here; not as far as I can see anyway, kids don't have the money to do it here.

Perth’s suburbia is a bit samey, monotonous and boring. We live in Joondalup and it’s not great in terms of facilities and things to do, NOR isn’t full stop. We were constrained in terms of where to settle here due to relatives already being here, time over I would head for the likes of Maylands, Mt Lawley, Freo, those areas are fairly cool.

Didn’t think my post would generate so much interest and debate.

I think Perth’s isolation is a key issue. I’m from Manchester and love it but if you ripped Manchester from the UK and plonked it on a desert island that was an expensive 5-hour flight from anywhere else, I’m sure after 2 or 3 years I would be moaning about Manchester being boring. But, and this is the key, that’s not an issue in the UK; the UK has plenty of ‘Perths’ or better and so does Europe which is a spit away.

I don’t like to bad-mouth Perth; we have (in the main) enjoyed our time here. The CBD has improved a lot for eats & drinks in the 8 years we have been here. And we really like Freo. To be fair, if you haven’t lived here for 10 years, you’re not really qualified to comment. Man City used to be shite 10 years ago but they’re not now are they? As I mentioned initially, if you have a young family, Perth is great, they’ll enjoy parks and pools and beaches galore. But there must be a reason why London is full of young Aussie adults, cheap ale, 10 million pubs, a general atmos of youth, there is none of that here; not as far as I can see anyway, kids don't have the money to do it here.

Perth’s suburbia is a bit samey, monotonous and boring. We live in Joondalup and it’s not great in terms of facilities and things to do, NOR isn’t full stop. We were constrained in terms of where to settle here due to relatives already being here, time over I would head for the likes of Maylands, Mt Lawley, Freo, those areas are fairly cool.

Perth has always generated debate on this forum George. :cute: It seems an awful lot of migrants from the UK choose to live there and they either love it or hate it and the haters harp on about it literally for years. Never understood why so many British migrants choose to live there in the first place. It's a well known fact it's very isolated and very hot in summer but maybe they think things will miraculously change upon their arrival OR they arrive in their hordes for the FIFO jobs - make a bundle then get all bitter and twisted when the work dries up. Such is life.

He was talking as though 50+ was common and you come back with the record hottest day. Have another try...

I expect a bit of poetic licence implied here. But the poster may have been referring to working sites where the temp is certainly far higher than Perth. Probably feels 50 in the shade. Hardly matters after 35 or so surely? It's just darn hot.

Perth has always generated debate on this forum George. :cute: It seems an awful lot of migrants from the UK choose to live there and they either love it or hate it and the haters harp on about it literally for years. Never understood why so many British migrants choose to live there in the first place. It's a well known fact it's very isolated and very hot in summer but maybe they think things will miraculously change upon their arrival OR they arrive in their hordes for the FIFO jobs - make a bundle then get all bitter and twisted when the work dries up. Such is life.

Probably due to Perth attracting less a range of migrants. Most being working class jobs or in the social care type area. Perhaps more entrenched views and less places to compare with?

Also as there has been no real recession here since the nineties, many are not versed in how hard this city/state can be during a down turn. The high cost is something relatively new as well.

Then the ageing of migrants that arrived last century, perhaps during the seventies and eighties or before, now playing a part in returning to roots? Some I know do not fancy ageing here.

Others have just out grown the place and in part the internet can foster a degree of dissent and longing, with the connection to others feeling equally 'aground' at a particular stage of life they find themselves at.

Guest Michaela60
I expect a bit of poetic licence implied here. But the poster may have been referring to working sites where the temp is certainly far higher than Perth. Probably feels 50 in the shade. Hardly matters after 35 or so surely? It's just darn hot.

The majority get on with it. A few who should have done some basic research do nothing but whinge about it

The majority get on with it. A few who should have done some basic research do nothing but whinge about it

I think that is a human trait. Aussies moan in London at the weather, high prices, and a host of things, and a receptacle agreement appears to have been reached, given free reign to return the compliment here. Although some whining can be a release valve and healthy of course, rather than storing it all up and putting on the farce of feeling the need to display in public a constant smiley face.

I think that is a human trait. Aussies moan in London at the weather, high prices, and a host of things, and a receptacle agreement appears to have been reached, given free reign to return the compliment here. Although some whining can be a release valve and healthy of course, rather than storing it all up and putting on the farce of feeling the need to display in public a constant smiley face.

Ah yes but it's different when Aussies moan non stop, it's totally justified ;)

The biggest crime currently being perpetrated in Perth is bars selling schooners for pint prices and hoping that people don't notice. I noticed it earlier this year. A number of bars will not correct you when you ask for a pint and just serve you a schooner, for the price of a pint. Even if you're savvy enough to recognise a schooner, the price is set. So, $10 schooners are going to be the norm soon, effectively meaning that the new price of a pint is $13.40 (7 pound 90).

To me, this tale is Perth in a microcosm. Firstly, everything is about extracting as much money from you as possible, for little or no service. Secondly, no-one in Perth stands up for anything, nor are they able to. You're over a barrel constantly.

Edit: This is the CBD by the way. I'm sure you can get some dishwasher fluid (VB) in your local estate pub for $8 but that's not what I'm getting at.

Edited by george70

The biggest crime currently being perpetrated in Perth is bars selling schooners for pint prices and hoping that people don't notice. I noticed it earlier this year. A number of bars will not correct you when you ask for a pint and just serve you a schooner, for the price of a pint. Even if you're savvy enough to recognise a schooner, the price is set. So, $10 schooners are going to be the norm soon, effectively meaning that the new price of a pint is $13.40 (7 pound 90).

To me, this tale is Perth in a microcosm. Firstly, everything is about extracting as much money from you as possible, for little or no service. Secondly, no-one in Perth stands up for anything, nor are they able to. You're over a barrel constantly.

Edit: This is the CBD by the way. I'm sure you can get some dishwasher fluid (VB) in your local estate pub for $8 but that's not what I'm getting at.

Fully agree. A popular local watering hole tried that on me for St Patricks Day, one before last. Just for the day mind. They the punters flocked in huge numbers to be victims of this right royal rip off.

Perth people seldom complain, although pretty good at devouring one another. Lotus land requires a bit of a shake up, I'm afraid, to awaken senses and provoke a reaction.

I think you mean reciprocal...isn't a receptacle a toilet?! :smile:

Been in Perth 17 years seemed to enjoy the first few years .Like a working holiday have come to find most people are plastic here quality doesnt amount to much its all about quantity .We have put the house on the market and will be moving back to the uk the only thing ill miss is the wild life (we live in the hills ).Will not miss the rude and dangerous driving on all the roads here .

Been in Perth 17 years seemed to enjoy the first few years .Like a working holiday have come to find most people are plastic here quality doesnt amount to much its all about quantity .We have put the house on the market and will be moving back to the uk the only thing ill miss is the wild life (we live in the hills ).Will not miss the rude and dangerous driving on all the roads here .

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the move.