Moving back after 8 years in Perth.

george70

Been in Perth 17 years seemed to enjoy the first few years .Like a working holiday have come to find most people are plastic here quality doesnt amount to much its all about quantity .We have put the house on the market and will be moving back to the uk the only thing ill miss is the wild life (we live in the hills ).Will not miss the rude and dangerous driving on all the roads here .

That's a considerable time being in Perth. Similar to myself, but I've had a few breaks in other countries over the time frame. I wonder if the falling economic prospects are playing a part in your return?

The plastic assessment is sadly understandable. Shallowness as well part and parcel considered by some. Good for you to arrive at a decision anyway to return. It can be a hard thing to do. Especially to get all on side within the family.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn’t think my post would generate so much interest and debate.

I think Perth’s isolation is a key issue. I’m from Manchester and love it but if you ripped Manchester from the UK and plonked it on a desert island that was an expensive 5-hour flight from anywhere else, I’m sure after 2 or 3 years I would be moaning about Manchester being boring. But, and this is the key, that’s not an issue in the UK; the UK has plenty of ‘Perths’ or better and so does Europe which is a spit away.

I don’t like to bad-mouth Perth; we have (in the main) enjoyed our time here. The CBD has improved a lot for eats & drinks in the 8 years we have been here. And we really like Freo. To be fair, if you haven’t lived here for 10 years, you’re not really qualified to comment. Man City used to be shite 10 years ago but they’re not now are they? As I mentioned initially, if you have a young family, Perth is great, they’ll enjoy parks and pools and beaches galore. But there must be a reason why London is full of young Aussie adults, cheap ale, 10 million pubs, a general atmos of youth, there is none of that here; not as far as I can see anyway, kids don't have the money to do it here.

Perth’s suburbia is a bit samey, monotonous and boring. We live in Joondalup and it’s not great in terms of facilities and things to do, NOR isn’t full stop. We were constrained in terms of where to settle here due to relatives already being here, time over I would head for the likes of Maylands, Mt Lawley, Freo, those areas are fairly cool.

George you cant compare a cultural desert like perth to mighty Manchester! ive come back to mcr from Sydney and the place has really impressed me. the place seems to be thriving - new buildings flying up everywhere, an expanding tram system, the new spinningfields area is better than anything I saw in Sydney. good luck with the move back

Been in Perth 17 years seemed to enjoy the first few years .Like a working holiday have come to find most people are plastic here quality doesnt amount to much its all about quantity .We have put the house on the market and will be moving back to the uk the only thing ill miss is the wild life (we live in the hills ).Will not miss the rude and dangerous driving on all the roads here .

Oh my god the drivers, believe me they were no better in Queensland, any preconceived ideas of laid back Aussie's go straight out the window when they get behind the wheel.

• 4 weeks later...
The biggest crime currently being perpetrated in Perth is bars selling schooners for pint prices and hoping that people don't notice. I noticed it earlier this year. A number of bars will not correct you when you ask for a pint and just serve you a schooner, for the price of a pint. Even if you're savvy enough to recognise a schooner, the price is set. So, $10 schooners are going to be the norm soon, effectively meaning that the new price of a pint is $13.40 (7 pound 90).

To me, this tale is Perth in a microcosm. Firstly, everything is about extracting as much money from you as possible, for little or no service. Secondly, no-one in Perth stands up for anything, nor are they able to. You're over a barrel constantly.

Edit: This is the CBD by the way. I'm sure you can get some dishwasher fluid (VB) in your local estate pub for $8 but that's not what I'm getting at.

Quoting myself here but coincidentally read an article in The West last week about The Guildford Hotel. We went some time ago, very nice and all that. However, the article was stating (and moaning) that a schooner was $12.

Think how that equates out: $16 a pint or over 10 pound a pint if you are coming here on holiday.

Criminal.

Cant expect places to lower their prices for the overseas tourists. Not really their fault the pound is in a dire state.

However that's unbelievably expensive. Went to my local watering hole for Friday drinks last week in Brisbane and it was $5 a pint for the cheapest beer. That's pretty reasonable even in pounds.

Quoting myself here but coincidentally read an article in The West last week about The Guildford Hotel. We went some time ago, very nice and all that. However, the article was stating (and moaning) that a schooner was $12.

Think how that equates out: $16 a pint or over 10 pound a pint if you are coming here on holiday.

Criminal.

Criminal indeed. $12 a pint being bad enough in many city establishments. Shocked to hear that. I hope they are canned through lack of patronage, that being the case.

Criminal indeed. $12 a pint being bad enough in many city establishments. Shocked to hear that. I hope they are canned through lack of patronage, that being the case.

2015 beer prices in cities across the world. Seems you are being royally ripped off in Perth. I noted Australia is the most expensive for fags.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/beer-and-cigarette-city-price-charts-2015-4

2015 beer prices in cities across the world. Seems you are being royally ripped off in Perth. I noted Australia is the most expensive for fags.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/beer-and-cigarette-city-price-charts-2015-4

Long been accepted in Perth that $10 a pint is average, which, at current exchange rate, would put us top of that list. My mother-in-law tells me fags are $30+, not seen that list.

Cant expect places to lower their prices for the overseas tourists. Not really their fault the pound is in a dire state.

However that's unbelievably expensive. Went to my local watering hole for Friday drinks last week in Brisbane and it was $5 a pint for the cheapest beer. That's pretty reasonable even in pounds.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the £, if people are being charged $10, $12 and more they are being ripped off.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all:)

I moved to Australia 10 years ago and it was the biggest mistake of my life, as I married an Australian man who pursued me online. Foolishly and regrettably I messed up and it has affected my family. I have been in loss and grief for 10 years and had to live a lie. I am 57 young at heart and really miss the English way of life. I have no skills and no where to live in UK. How would I make it if I went back. I have anxiety and fear seems to stop me from doing anything. I analyse until I paralyse!

I moved to Australia 10 years ago and it was the biggest mistake of my life, as I married an Australian man who pursued me online. Foolishly and regrettably I messed up and it has affected my family. I have been in loss and grief for 10 years and had to live a lie. I am 57 young at heart and really miss the English way of life. I have no skills and no where to live in UK. How would I make it if I went back. I have anxiety and fear seems to stop me from doing anything. I analyse until I paralyse!

Could your family/relations/friends in the UK help you out if you moved back to the UK?

I have my son of 34 years old but his flat is filthy ... sad to say! I know this sounds bad. I know that would be the only way I could go back if I would stay with him but he does not have the space as it is only a one bed flat.

what about friends or could you not put up with his filthy for a short while? you could always clean the flat while you were getting on your feet. after i moved back to uk i was desperate to get back to oz & i would have lived in a cardboard box if thats what it took to get back to oz.

how would you stand financially or work wise?

.........sorry to hear this.....

.........I have a friend who found herself in similar conditions 4 years ago.....

..........so she started volenteeri g at an aged care home

...........after a year getting experience she returned staying on a friends sofa in return for doing the housework and cooking...

............then got a job as a live in carer.......

.............4 years on she has her own rented flat......has achieved some qualifications

..............and is enjoying life again......

...............I think sometimes we have to just make a decision to do something......and do it.....

.................the best of luck to you....X

.........sorry to hear this.....

.........I have a friend who found herself in similar conditions 4 years ago.....

..........so she started volenteeri g at an aged care home

...........after a year getting experience she returned staying on a friends sofa in return for doing the housework and cooking...

............then got a job as a live in carer.......

.............4 years on she has her own rented flat......has achieved some qualifications

..............and is enjoying life again......

...............I think sometimes we have to just make a decision to do something......and do it.....

.................the best of luck to you....X

Wow, wasn't expecting feedback so soon:) Thank you all. Yes it is a big decision as I have my daughter and granddaughter here in oz but my son has mental health issues and has no family where he is. I am torn between!

I'd not linger too long. Stay with your son initially and take it from there. Perhaps if you can show he is not managing through a ,mental illness, social services may help? You become his carer? Just sounding out possibilities. Ten years isn't too long away. Can you check it out first with a shorter stay and find out what is doable?