Moving back after 8 years in Perth.

george70

I imagine Perth has more nightlife than Stratford upon Avon. I don't think it's that that pb was complaining about. When you live in Perth, it's not long before you have done everything, and then you do it again. Perhaps isolated is a better term than boring. In the UK, if you get bored you just travel out a bit further. You have to travel a long way in Perth to get anywhere.

:biglaugh: nope.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what do you think young people find it if you found it boring...dont care if people slag me but perth is the most boring place i have ever lived in.

It's almost 10 years ago now PB that you profess to have lived here - it's obviously had a massive impact on you to still be posting on a forum about it.

I wouldn't call it the most boring. It certainly is to some and I respect that view. My take is Perth is rather under whelming. Aspects can be disguised during times of abundance to an extent, but become more overt in times of economic trial.

The seeing of people departing, those whom never mentioned leaving previously, just so many aspects of living in Perth. I mean why should we be so much more expensive than Melbourne? Defeats logic. The changing fortunes will no doubt play out in future decisions around pensions, quality and affordability aged care, superannuation, etc.

Is this a place of diminishing return with regards to the quality of life one would hope? Very individual I suspect and no right or wrong answer. The question I am posing is, can I live a better life elsewhere? Where might that place be? What will be the economic cost to such an endeavour? Maintain a base in Australia or pull the plug completely? Lots to consider.

It's almost 10 years ago now PB that you profess to have lived here - it's obviously had a massive impact on you to still be posting on a forum about it.

It's pretty hard to hide the scars of boredom Ali. Sure, alcohol provides a temporary escape, and it helps to alleviate the pain by talking about it. But when you wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, screaming at the thought of yet another trip to Perth zoo, you can talk all you want but no one really understands. They just see the beaches in life down under. They don't know the terrible danger of the mind numbing boredom that lies underneath that pretty sea scape, and they are oblivious to the dangers it contains.

Don't be complacent Ali. One day, when the kids grow up, you might think you can handle just one more Easter in Margaret river. But out of the blue, like a great white shark, the dreaded boredom could take you too, and then you to would be cursed to spend the next ten years bitching about Perth.

It's pretty hard to hide the scars of boredom Ali. Sure, alcohol provides a temporary escape, and it helps to alleviate the pain by talking about it. But when you wake up in the middle of the night in a cold sweat, screaming at the thought of yet another trip to Perth zoo, you can talk all you want but no one really understands. They just see the beaches in life down under. They don't know the terrible danger of the mind numbing boredom that lies underneath that pretty sea scape, and they are oblivious to the dangers it contains.

Don't be complacent Ali. One day, when the kids grow up, you might think you can handle just one more Easter in Margaret river. But out of the blue, like a great white shark, the dreaded boredom could take you too, and then you to would be cursed to spend the next ten years bitching about Perth.

I'm certainly not complacent - and TBH, I think I've only been to the zoo once in 10 years, neither are we big beach goers, and again Margs has only been the occasional visit - I guess we've found much more to do with our time as a family here, we've travelled interstate and internationally and are always glad to come home to Perth.

As a couple, we're insightful enough to know that nothing in this world is perfect or guaranteed - we never thought we'd be living here in Aus 11 years ago, yet here we are - so nothing is written in stone. If we ever did move, it would be because that was the next part of our journey, i'm not sure we're the type to blame a place more that we were ready to move on or e.g. there was a specific reason like being nearer to the kids. I can't see us living back in the UK at all - but who knows what's around the corner.

Any place is boring if you have no hobbies.

Probably do the same old things in Brighton and Stratford too.

Yes it of course can be. But far more involved than hobbies, being at issue here. The dynamics of the place are far from attractive to al lifestyles. Nowhere will fit all desires. Perth satisfies less than many others, probably not too unfair to say. Doesn't mean it is necessary bad, dull or boring, though it might, but it does suggest a city that satisfaction is out of reach, for varied reasons for many, for a host of reasons.

It certainly could. Often once the kids flee the nest. It is pretty hard not to detect something akin, though not quite, to despair in a number of people, usually of the middle aged variety, often brought on by what I can only place as loneliness and/or lack of connectivity.

So you finally made it out. Good for you. Not a fan of ageing in Perth myself either.

I could handle retirement there. As long as I'm near a good tennis club, cycling around the river, and a house with a salt water pool. Plus a nice pub with a beer garden. Maybe a boat for a bit of fishing. I can think of worse places to retire.

I could handle retirement there. As long as I'm near a good tennis club, cycling around the river, and a house with a salt water pool. Plus a nice pub with a beer garden. Maybe a boat for a bit of fishing. I can think of worse places to retire.

true there are worse places but if in old age you like good theaters really good food and different countries and cultures for a few days away then perth aint for you...I love europe to much to stray far.

So you finally made it out. Good for you. Not a fan of ageing in Perth myself either.

It was always on the cards. I got laid off again and decided that I didn't want to hang around for months waiting to see if another HR department would grant me another start. So 28 days later we were back in England. Glad to be here, rain and all. You can keep the 50 plus heat, it was damaging my health.

It was always on the cards. I got laid off again and decided that I didn't want to hang around for months waiting to see if another HR department would grant me another start. So 28 days later we were back in England. Glad to be here, rain and all. You can keep the 50 plus heat, it was damaging my health.

I don't like the heat to be fair.

true there are worse places but if in old age you like good theaters really good food and different countries and cultures for a few days away then perth aint for you...I love europe to much to stray far.

That is true for an awful lot of people PB no doubt about it - you just need to read the Moving Back To The UK thread to see that those things are very important to many of them. I admit to being a Philistine. Going to museums and art galleries and even the theatre doesn't interest me much these days. I've been to Europe loads of times and travelled all over the place there - also lived there for a while. I'm kept busy with lots of other interests now. Don't forget, we are all different. There's nothing wrong with people being happy and content where they live - even those you sneer at in Perth. As long as they're happy that's all that matters. The ones that aren't will leave when they get the chance. I don't see any problem with that. Each to their own.

The main thing being you are where you prefer to be. Even with work, a place you don't jell with is of little value, beyond short term mercenary gain.

The cuts have ben quite ferocious in many areas. I can't help but think others are using it as an excuse to cut staff and restructure. Saying that the amount of wastage, some may say near corruption during the ' boom' was staggering in areas.

Hope England lives up to expectations.

I could manage it of course, but there are better places. To my mind a very youth focused Cali type place. As for joining a tennis club, if anything like the yacht club, a home for the smug, self satisfied, snobby and very convinced of their superior position that life has awarded them.

You'd of course be curtailed from boredom influenced alcoholism here owing to the cost of the amber liquid. Then of course there are the places 'Down South', in places like Albany, where aged people gather in retirement to some degree of abundance. Brisk early morning swims, a modern entertainment centre, bridge club, some good walks, away from the Perth summer heat but only five hours away. Talk about spoiled for choice.