British-born mother of five to be deported

Lambethlad

Is this fair? Normally I have no problem sending criminals back to where they came from. This 30 yo woman has been in Oz 28 years from the age of 2 - she has five children. She never obtained Oz citizenship. I think an exception should be made in this case. It would be extremely cruel to separate her from her children and send her to a place where she has no family and no connection with.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3605123/Geelong-mother-five-facing-deportation-Australia-England-extensive-criminal-past.html

The answer is that it is not fair, but when you set up mandatory outcomes for prescribed situations (in this case, mandatory deportation of a non-national who has served 12 months in prison) you get unfair outcomes. It is a lesson to politicians who introduce mandatory sentencing to win support from electors who have not needed to think deeply on the subject.

It certainly is a very different situation to somebody who came over as an adult and in their first year or two obtained a custodial sentence for a serious crime. You could argue that this is a cruel and unusual punishment due to her circumstances.

But then again the law has to be clear on its rules, so where would it draw the line? If you emigrate as a child you can stay but as an adult and you would be deported? If you had spend more of your life in Australia versus more of your life elsewhere? Maybe.

There is a lot of reference to the abuse that triggered the crime, but that could be exaggerated or even made up to provide a particular slant to the story and she does appear to have a track record of committing crimes, still I don't like the export of problems

Edited by Bungo

But then again the law has to be clear on its rules, so where would it draw the line?

I would resist the urge to draw lines - as this tends to result in injustice. The rule is that you don't kill your partner. How you handle the situation when someone breaks the rule should be a matter for discretion. Situations that affect people and their families in life-changing ways deserve to be dealt with according to discretion, not slavish adherence to rules.

I would resist the urge to draw lines - as this tends to result in injustice. The rule is that you don't kill your partner. How you handle the situation when someone breaks the rule should be a matter for discretion. Situations that affect people and their families in life-changing ways deserve to be dealt with according to discretion, not slavish adherence to rules.

Some discretion, but not total discretion as that can lead to hugely varying punishments. There are already guidelines on things like minimum and maximum sentences, it isn't left to the complete discretion of one person on one day.

Do you not think the options I have suggested, which would consider how long the individual has been in Australia an whether they were a child at the time would help? I think it would benefit this individual, more than complete discretion would, because with complete discretion the judge could still decide that they should be deported.

Yes its harsh to send her back but it reads like she has continually committed various crimes over the years, so she will have to deal with the consequences of this. At least the kids have close family here that are willing to take them on.

Cal x

Well she wasn't thinking of her kids when she was committing all those crimes and facing being in prison away from them...kids appear to be last thing on her mind...sad for kids but just coz someone has kids shouldn't make them have special privileges...I say send her back

Is this fair? Normally I have no problem sending criminals back to where they came from. This 30 yo woman has been in Oz 28 years from the age of 2 - she has five children. She never obtained Oz citizenship. I think an exception should be made in this case. It would be extremely cruel to separate her from her children and send her to a place where she has no family and no connection with.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3605123/Geelong-mother-five-facing-deportation-Australia-England-extensive-criminal-past.html

Well, I think the Australian legal system are about to pay a lot of money to determine whether it's fair.

She did murder her step father as well as various other crimes.

Yes, but she was only 14 and got let off with a good behaviour bond. She has since been jailed many times including for assault and burglary with weapons so she is no angel but I would still give her one more chance.

I don't think it's about more chances. The basic principle is that if someone is part of the Australian community, then it is for the Australian community to manage the situation if things go wrong - however often they go wrong. But if someone is not part of the Australian community, then when things go wrong you can send them back to their own community.

Someone who has lived in Australia as long as they can remember, who was educated here, has a family here - they are part of the Australian community and should not be at jeopardy of being deported, regardless of how badly they offend or how often they offend.

Whether or not someone is part of the Australian community is a judgement call. It simply doesn't lend itself to tick boxes.

No. The basic principle is that if you are not an Australian citizen and are a serious or habitual criminal you will be deported to your country of citizenship.

No, you are confusing the policy objective with the process by which it is hoped to effect the objective.

Yes, but she was only 14 and got let off with a good behaviour bond. She has since been jailed many times including for assault and burglary with weapons so she is no angel but I would still give her one more chance.

I feel sorry for her five children. She may be a rubbish member of the community but just for the sake of her children, let her stay.

Looks like she has had 15 years worth of chances! Would you say the same if it was a single guy with no kids?She obviously hasnt bothered about her kids welfare before now. Off she goes! Edited by AJ

Would you say the same if it was a single guy with no kids?

In this case, yes I would. The single guy would have been fully educated in Australia and lived in Australia for all the life that he can remember. Fully and unquestionably part of the Australian community and not part of any other community. But I can see that sometimes where things are less clear cut, the establishment of a family in Australia would increase the sense that the person was part of our community and not part of an overseas community.

I feel sorry for her five children. She may be a rubbish member of the community but just for the sake of her children, let her stay.

At first i did, then i read they dont live with her anyway, the kids are split up, 3 already living with their grandparents (their deceased fathers parents), 1 with his father in WA and 1 with her mothers mother. I personally think the 'want to be with my kids' is a playing card in the battle she is playing to stay.

If she keeps regular contact on-line as one article states ,this can be done from any country that has internet, including the UK..

Cal x

As much as a basket case that she sounds she has been here a long time, probably a lot longer than a few on here, the technicality that she never obtained citizenship doesn't really make it ok, I would be a little surprised if it actually did happen