Another air crash

starlight7

This latest crash is a big worry. Sounds like terrorism again, mostly French people but 1 Brit and several from middle eastern countries. Hope it doesn't turn out to be another bomb, we are off to Dubai in a couple of days then Europe and it makes you very nervous not to mention vastly increased security at the airports. Very inconvenient and you have to hang around for 3 hours now. I HATE these horrible people.

None of us think about driving but air travel is still massively the safest method of transport

Absolutely, I say this to people I know who are afraid of flying but quite happy to drive. Makes no difference to them.

I don't drive so am only ever a passenger in cars, and frequently have anxiety attacks, I hate car travel.

I thought that most of the people who died were Egyptian, not French. I may be mistaken though, I haven't had had time to look at the news today. Very sad for all those involved, regardless. We are flying to the UK in September, and I must admit that I am slightly more nervous this time than I was last time I flew. Silly I suppose, when you consider just how many flights there are all over the world every day.

Unfortunately it is probably another nail in the coffin of tourism for Egypt, which it relies on heavily too. I've been lucky enough to have visited Egypt several times, and love the country, but I wouldn't risk visiting there at the moment. Such a shame for the ordinary Egyptians who have nothing to do with any of this.

I thought that most of the people who died were Egyptian, not French. I may be mistaken though, I haven't had had time to look at the news today. Very sad for all those involved, regardless. We are flying to the UK in September, and I must admit that I am slightly more nervous this time than I was last time I flew. Silly I suppose, when you consider just how many flights there are all over the world every day.

Unfortunately it is probably another nail in the coffin of tourism for Egypt, which it relies on heavily too. I've been lucky enough to have visited Egypt several times, and love the country, but I wouldn't risk visiting there at the moment. Such a shame for the ordinary Egyptians who have nothing to do with any of this.

It doesn't sound like it is Egypt that you need to worry about.

If it was a bomb it was loaded in Paris.

ISIS are very active in Europe of course and they love to get a bomb on any plane they can.

I heard the plane made two stops enroute, Geneva and Eritrea I believe

No, it didn't make any stops after leaving Paris. Earlier yesterday it had made a flight from Eritrea to Cairo and a return trip Cairo - Tunisia - Cairo....all before flying to Paris.

I thought that most of the people who died were Egyptian, not French.

Yes, 30 Egyptians, 15 French and about 9 from various other countries (including 1 dual national British/Australian).

It doesn't sound like it is Egypt that you need to worry about.

If it was a bomb it was loaded in Paris.

ISIS are very active in Europe of course and they love to get a bomb on any plane they can.

I understand that if it was a bomb, that it wasn't loaded in Egypt, I wasn't really commenting on that. Sorry if I wasn't clear, I suppose I was just commenting on Egypt because it is somewhere that I am very fond of. We were intending to visit friends in France when we are in the UK later in the year. As it happens we won't have time, but I must admit that I did consider the threat of terrorism when I realised we would have to fly to Paris and then on to Toulouse and back.

Yes, 30 Egyptians, 15 French and about 9 from various other countries (including 1 dual national British/Australian).

I thought that's what I'd seen last night. We've had sketchy internet today so I've not yet looked at the news. I thought maybe I'd misread or it had been changed. Terrible for all involved.

Seeing the images of bereaved families, their pain and such utter desolation, I cannot begin to grasp what drives one human being to inflict such horrific pain on others, people they do not know and have no personal conflict with. What type of psyche is able to square that circle, able to balance the grotesque physical and emotional pain with….what? Publicity for their ideology? A general unease and fear of terrorism? How sad, joyless and insular a person’s life must be, to feel a sense of achievement in causing such pain and anguish. My heart goes out to the victims and their families. The perpetrators – I hope one day they are able to re-join the human race and feel a sense of the pain they create. T x

Well I do not believe their baggage made it to the carousel!

So a car having being hit on the windscreen by a bird and then veering off the road and into a lake or river is not a crash?

Please, please don't turn this into a squabble. I flew to Singapore from Sydney the same day as this crash and am a bit freaked out about flying on to london tonight. I hate the randomness of it all and the thought that those people were just travellers like me.

I used to to love flying, now I hate it to the point of trying to avoid it - which is a joke,with relatives in Australia!

What on earth are these people hoping to achieve, other than more hatred?

Please, please don't turn this into a squabble. I flew to Singapore from Sydney the same day as this crash and am a bit freaked out about flying on to london tonight. I hate the randomness of it all and the thought that those people were just travellers like me.

I used to to love flying, now I hate it to the point of trying to avoid it - which is a joke,with relatives in Australia!

Flying is safe fisher, that is the point of my posts! Posts like Lindors is just plain (excuse the pun) scare mongering.

Please, like I most certainly do, enjoy your flights and all the exciting things on either side.

I hate flying and I hate when people say it's safer than driving! You have a chance of surviving a car crash!

You're also a lot more likely to be in a car crash.. Approx 10 people die each and every day on the roads in the UK.. A lot more than air travel..

I wouldn't count on it being terrorism just yet. At least not until there has been an investigation. Terror groups are usually pretty quick to put their hands up and claim responsibility, which they haven't on this occasion.

I hope you enjoy your flight. Just think of the other 100,000+ flights per day/38 million flights a year that you never hear about.

Flying is safe fisher, that is the point of my posts! Posts like Lindors is just plain (excuse the pun) scare mongering.

Please, like I most certainly do, enjoy your flights and all the exciting things on either side.

How dare you accuse me of scaremongering!!!

I am one of the people on this forum least likely to start an argument or to scaremonger, particularly about flying as it terrifies me!! I was expressing my opinion and my feelings about flying, which I'm perfectly entitled to do!

I worked, for a time as a nurse in an A/E department and A/E ward, I treated hundreds of patients over the years who survived car crashes, I'm pretty sure if I'd worked near an aviation crash site I would not have seen any survivors.

That 'plane didn't crash into the Hudson River, the pilot made an emergency landing on it, and if their baggage had made it onto the carousel, the passengers would have been able to collect it.

You're also a lot more likely to be in a car crash.. Approx 10 people die each and every day on the roads in the UK.. A lot more than air travel..

I would think that's obvious as I'd imagine there are a lot more car journeys happening in the world as there are flights. I could be wrong though, I haven't checked the stats.

Archived