Hay fever in Australia?

richev

To those who suffered hay fever in the UK - have you also had it in Australia?

Mine is (according to a doctor when I was a child) mostly related to tree pollen, and in the UK it kicks off in late spring. It's worse in the Midlands (where I grew up), not so bad in the South East (where I live now), and non-existent in Scotland (where I lived for a few years).

I was in NSW in December/January about nine years ago and don't _think_ I had it then...

(hoping to move to Sydney this September...)

NO! And it is awesome!

I had extremely bad hay fever in the UK, which seriously affected my life and what activities I could and couldn't do. I was heavily reliant on medication, which would only take the edge off at best. I moved to Australia getting on 5 years ago and have not suffered since. Its been a revelation. Until I moved here I had not concept of what life would be like without it, and for the first time in my life I can enjoy all the seasons!

I don't have it but OH does and had various other allergies as well. He says he was suffering quite badly during his last year in Australia, was pretty goood last year in UK, but generally feels that there is no real difference.

I suffered with chronic hay fever in UK, very debilitating in fact, don't get it at all here in WA! However, caveat unfortunately, I do know those who suffer pretty bad here with it, it seems to be a 'luck of the draw' thing, you won't know until you get here. I never suffered as a child just came on suddently in 20's and left as suddenly after arriving here xx

Depends where you are. Never had any hayfever when I was more "outback" but in and around Adelaide and while in Tasmania during spring/summer, I got it really bad. The local weather usually give good predictors of when the pollen levels are high, so just keep an eye on that.

Same as UK really.

When I left England I used to have chronic tonsillitis, would be laid up for days. Not great memories. When I came to Australia, I exchanged that for hayfever of the worse kind. No tonsillitis in 32 years, but hayfever in my youth nearly drove me mad. How ever hayfever can be regulated with medication and diet, so once you know how to ease the symptoms its nos so bad. Also I think it the wetter more humid climates it probably isn't as bad as the dry ones. I think S.A has the worse hayfever season in the country because it gets so hot, dry and dusty, with nasty north winds in summer.

Our eldest child suffers from hayfever here in Vic as he did back home in Scotland. It still doesn't stop him enjoying mountain biking or camping in any season, but it is worse for him in Spring and Summer.

If you need to take cetirizine or any other similar type medications, then stock up well in the UK before you leave. We used to buy packs of 24 in the local pound-shop, but over here it's much more expensive.

My daughter never had hayfever when we were living in Perth, but developed it after moving to the UK. She had it very bad in the Midlands, and now here in Scotland bad at times. She is looking forward to us moving back to Perth later this year to see if it disappears.

On a slightly different note, since moving back to the UK she developed not only hay fever but bowel issues. My husband developed diabetes and eczema. I developed migraines. Guess we must be allergic to the UK!

Have people in Melbourne had it bad this year though ?

I often do get it very bad at times and can be very debilitating.

The doctor gives me a steroid injection which usually keeps it at bay for the season.

But this year I didn't get any hayfever at all. I mentioned it to the doc the other day when I went for my flu shot and he said it was because of the drought this year.

I think Melbourne being very green can cause a lot of hayfever compared to dryer more northerly cities.

I had hay fever as a child and then again when I was in my mid twenties and living in Cambridge (which is surrounded by fields of rapeseed) but after I moved away from Cambridge it settled down. I have experienced the odd couple of days of hay fever every now and then whilst living here (Sydney) but it has been nothing like as bad as when I had it in the UK. Just a stuffy nose for a few days and maybe slightly itchy eyes.

One thing I do get here which I've never had before, however, is trouble from mould spores. We live in Sydney, on the top of a river valley (we'd see the river if the trees weren't in the way) and this particular area does get quite humid which can cause a fine mildew-type mould to grow on the back of furniture. It took me ages to work out what was causing a bad cough and asthma, and eventually found the mould. I find that if I am vigilant about making sure there isn't any mould and that the house is very well ventilated I am fine.

To those who suffered hay fever in the UK - have you also had it in Australia?

Mine is (according to a doctor when I was a child) mostly related to tree pollen, and in the UK it kicks off in late spring. It's worse in the Midlands (where I grew up), not so bad in the South East (where I live now), and non-existent in Scotland (where I lived for a few years).

I was in NSW in December/January about nine years ago and don't _think_ I had it then...

(hoping to move to Sydney this September...)

Hubby never had hay fever in the UK suffers a lot in SA where the actually show the pollen count on the weather !

I've never suffered from hayfever but my husband, who suffered it in spring in the UK, has had it 24/7 since we arrived in Melbourne 4 years ago. Apparently rye grass is his main trigger and it's everywhere in Melbourne. He's on his 3rd round of desensitisation therapy (fortnightly injections) even though for most people, 1 is enough. The allergist says he's one in a million! It would be debilitating were it not for the cortisone spray he has to sniff 4 times a day. The allergist also told us that Melbourne is the allergy capital of the world - something to do with the jetstream or something - and the only real way to solve the problem is to leave this city. If things continue like this, we will!

Melbourne is bad for hayfeaver, I used to suffer in the uk it is however worse here, according to tests evergreens and grass pollen are my problems? It kicks off every November but by the end of feb the worst is over, I didn't suffer in far North Queensland though. ?