NZ votes to keep flag

Lambethlad

$NZ26 million wasted, heavily pushed by the NZ PM and other "celebs" but when it came down to it, they wanted to stick with their traditions. Had they voted to change their flag, the flag-changers here in OZ would have screamed "PROOF! It's proof we need to change our flag too." As it is, some of them, e.g. Scruby, claim it's still proof Australia should change. As usual too, they say "it was the wrong design" or "It looks too much like the IS flag." At least they can't blame the PM for not being in favour of change (as they did about John Howard in the last republican referendum.)

Years ago, saw a cartoon which showed a load of immigrants coming down the gangplank in Australia, to be welcomed by an Aussie who says "Welcome to Australia, anything I can do to help?" and the reply from the first of the immigrants is "Yes, you can get rid of that crummy flag for a start. We did not emigrate here to be insulted."

I think that Australia should at least remove the Union flag from it's flag. It's been independent of the U.K. for how long now? The two countries have close ties historically but that may well change in the future if Australia enjoys more Asian influences through immigration and trade. Asian Australians might wonder at the relevance of their country having the flag of a country on the other side of the world adorning their own.

I think that Australia should at least remove the Union flag from it's flag. It's been independent of the U.K. for how long now? The two countries have close ties historically but that may well change in the future if Australia enjoys more Asian influences through immigration and trade. Asian Australians might wonder at the relevance of their country having the flag of a country on the other side of the world adorning their own.

I get get what you're saying but surely that would come through a vote in the future. The flag is probably outdated but not sure what you're suggesting as an alternative to appease the growing Asian community? I think the indigenous community might want a better representation first.

Why do countries have to keep changing to reflect their population or their geographical position? That would mean that every country in Europe should change their flags to reflect their changing demographics and the USA should change its flag in preparation for the time when Hispanics outnumber whites.

If the Union Flag should be removed from the Australian flag then why didn't the Kiwis vote in favour of removing it from their flag? Their political and historical position if no different from Australia's.

$NZ26 million wasted, heavily pushed by the NZ PM and other "celebs" but when it came down to it, they wanted to stick with their traditions. Had they voted to change their flag, the flag-changers here in OZ would have screamed "PROOF! It's proof we need to change our flag too." As it is, some of them, e.g. Scruby, claim it's still proof Australia should change. As usual too, they say "it was the wrong design" or "It looks too much like the IS flag." At least they can't blame the PM for not being in favour of change (as they did about John Howard in the last republican referendum.)

Years ago, saw a cartoon which showed a load of immigrants coming down the gangplank in Australia, to be welcomed by an Aussie who says "Welcome to Australia, anything I can do to help?" and the reply from the first of the immigrants is "Yes, you can get rid of that crummy flag for a start. We did not emigrate here to be insulted."

Bit like the England banter during the Ashes games "Oy, get your stars off our flag!"

Why do countries have to keep changing to reflect their population or their geographical position? That would mean that every country in Europe should change their flags to reflect their changing demographics and the USA should change its flag in preparation for the time when Hispanics outnumber whites.

If the Union Flag should be removed from the Australian flag then why didn't the Kiwis vote in favour of removing it from their flag? Their political and historical position if no different from Australia's.

Perhaps for the same reason that Australia didn't vote to become a republic - old traditions die hard and people weren't ready for change yet?. That doesn't mean that there won't be changes to it in the future of course, just perhaps not in our lifetime. National identity isn't something that's rigidly fixed in place after all and I could definitely see Australia shedding it's Anglo-centric identity in the future and becoming more Asian dominated / orientated. As benj alludes to, it'd be a shame though if the first Australians were overlooked next time the flag is redesigned.

We are one country EW.

We are all Australians.

singling out certain people is not a good idea.

If we have a new flag it should be brand new representing us all.

Do you think the US flag should have a little North American Indian in their flag.

Of course not.

This is the sort of thinking that divides us, not unite us.

Personally i wouldn't want a change of the Australian flag/ It's a part of Australias history why are Australians it seems so hell bent on removing their history. anything deemed old and outdated they want ripped down or to get rid of. Sad really. I see it all the time with so many old buildings pulled down or ripped apart.

That's why i thought NZ would have got rid of it, but I've seen quite a few comments from NZer's that they want to keep the Union Jack because it's now part of their own heritage, not because it reminds them of Great Britain.

Can't quite understand that but it's a different theory anyway.

I loved the fern, instantly says New Zealand.

The biggest complaint seemed to be they don't like it being mistaken for Australias. Maybe Australia will change theirs first and make it easy for them.

Perhaps because what was on offer was poor in the main. Canada achieved the change over very successfully. A great flag. Well balanced in colour and design.

A flag obviously does not need to reflect a changing demographic, but should be all inclusive. South Africa introduced the colours of the Rainbow Nation, rather successfully.

I have not really seen a design for a new Australian flag very captivating either. Though New Zealand perhaps had worse on offer.

That's why i thought NZ would have got rid of it, but I've seen quite a few comments from NZer's that they want to keep the Union Jack because it's now part of their own heritage, not because it reminds them of Great Britain.

Can't quite understand that but it's a different theory anyway.

I loved the fern, instantly says New Zealand.

The biggest complaint seemed to be they don't like it being mistaken for Australias. Maybe Australia will change theirs first and make it easy for them.

New Zealanders by all accounts are very conservative and don't do change well. Hardly surprising that being the case the result that unfolded.

On the other hand there is an emphasis on all things New Zealand being preferable hence a flag reflecting domestic values sans Union Flag in canton, may have been considered a natural progression of things.

• 1 month later...