My travel thread

Quokka2005

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was a place down in Williams so a bit more remote but apparently the bus goes there and there's backpackers

Williams is a real one horse town. Usually stop over there on the way back from the south, for a fuel top up and something to eat at the servo. No idea that there would be a backpackers there. Be good to have a 'friend' as below. Would need a car to get anywhere.

I'm looking for hospitality work - cafe, restaurant, bars or retail. I'm also considering doing au pair work especially if I can't find hourly paid work. There's pretty much au pair work in every location although mines is slightly more limited because I don't have a car but there's still some. Would rather have a "normal" job though

Were you still keen to try Parramatta? I know it's a train ride but it might be doable if you're not working too many hours every week. You could just walk around with your cv and pop in to every place you like the look of. At least then you exhaust that option. Steak houses and such might be a good avenue as they usually cater for a few more diners and employ more casual staff?

What's the place? Outback Jacks.

http://www.outbackjacks.com.au/locations/

There seem to be franchises all over.

I'm looking for hospitality work - cafe, restaurant, bars or retail. I'm also considering doing au pair work especially if I can't find hourly paid work. There's pretty much au pair work in every location although mines is slightly more limited because I don't have a car but there's still some. Would rather have a "normal" job though

Stace did you submit an application to the Merivale Group I mentioned a few days ago?

Not yet, I just haven't had a second to apply for any jobs this week because I've been on this package. I wanted to apply for ones while I was at base camp but they wouldn't let us have wifi till the second night and then when they did give me the password it wouldn't work! I'm supposed to be on a pub crawl tonight but I don't feel great so I think I'm just going to stay in and try sort my life out haha

I'd be very surprised if you couldn't snap up some hospitality work quite easily in Melbourne. I'm pretty surprised that you couldn't do the same in Sydney either. But if you don't want to stay there then so be it.

The cafe where my wife works have been desperately trying to recruit a few extra cafe workers with experience. So far the only applicants have been students who have zero experience or other short term visitors looking for the cafe to sponsor them! It's got to the stage now where they are begging people not to apply if they don't have experience, rather than fibbing about it, as many do.

On many thoroughfares in and out of Melbourne there are vacancy signs in many windows.

Uni's are breaking up for summer now, so the competition for short term jobs will possibly ramp up a bit. Something to bear in mind.

Someone told me if I stay in Sydney try paramatta for jobs etc?

No! No! No! No!

If you think the CBD is like Manchester then Parramatta is even more so. There is NO WAY I would ever tell someone on a WHV to venture further West than Leichardt - you need to be where the young people are! The suburbs out West are very family-oriented.

Also, Sydney gets hotter and more humid the further inland you go. There's several degrees difference between the coast and Parramatta. If you're going to spend the summer in Parramatta then you might as well go to Brisbane - it will be about the same heat but you'll have sea breezes in Brisbane.

I'm a bit worried you won't be any more impressed with Melbourne - just another great big sprawling city like Sydney. I'd be happy to settle there, but as a place to visit for an exciting WHV - not so sure. Have you been looking on Seek.com for hospitality jobs around the country? There are lots of smaller cities outside the capitals. The holiday resorts have lots of cafes and restaurants and often not enough local people to staff them, so you'd have a good chance of work in those places if you can track them down.

No! No! No! No!

If you think the CBD is like Manchester then Parramatta is even more so. There is NO WAY I would ever tell someone on a WHV to venture further West than Leichardt - you need to be where the young people are! The suburbs out West are very family-oriented.

Also, Sydney gets hotter and more humid the further inland you go. There's several degrees difference between the coast and Parramatta. If you're going to spend the summer in Parramatta then you might as well go to Brisbane - it will be about the same heat but you'll have sea breezes in Brisbane.

I'm a bit worried you won't be any more impressed with Melbourne - just another great big sprawling city like Sydney. I'd be happy to settle there, but as a place to visit for an exciting WHV - not so sure. Have you been looking on Seek.com for hospitality jobs around the country? There are lots of smaller cities outside the capitals. The holiday resorts have lots of cafes and restaurants and often not enough local people to staff them, so you'd have a good chance of work in those places if you can track them down.

This is what I think too

I did think about Brisbane because I know there's loads of cafes but maybe a bit too humid. I did cope with Singapore much better than I thought I would but I guess I was only there a few days. I'm online looking at different areas that I might like that's more likely to have hospitality jobs

I did think about Brisbane because I know there's loads of cafes but maybe a bit too humid. I did cope with Singapore much better than I thought I would but I guess I was only there a few days. I'm online looking at different areas that I might like that's more likely to have hospitality jobs

Remember we're just about hitting Summer. Humid the further up you go over next few months. Id be heading south and west

Stacey. Do what you want to do and make up your own mind.

It is not up to other people to force their opinions on you as to what you should like or not like.

This is your experience. Do what you feel is right.

She wants advice Parley, if she didnt we wouldnt be having this conversation

Archived