To 'top load' or not to 'top load', that is the question!

RMT1980

So... the clues in the title. What are people's opinions of whether to purchase a front or a top loader washing machine when setting up the new home in Aus?

Looking for any pros/cons for either, if indeed there are any, or any reasons why someone should/would sway either way.

If you turn a front loader on its back it then becomes a top loader , you can then play about until you find what works best for you ......hope this helps .......personally i prefer the top loader position as my knees are bad , have had the same top loader for over eight yrs and still going good with five children to wash for ........

I used to love top-loaders - part of that love was probably down to the novelty aspect of not ever having had one in the UK. It's also great if you find a sock on the floor or forget something: You can simply flip the lid open and chuck it in, even after the wash has started.

However, whilst living in Melbourne and after my second-hand top-loader broke down, I did some research and discovered that front-loaders are way more energy and water efficient, as well as leaving less mechanical wear on garments, so I changed my mind and never went back.

So... the clues in the title. What are people's opinions of whether to purchase a front or a top loader washing machine when setting up the new home in Aus?

Top loader will be cheaper to buy, and you can chuck things in halfway through the cycle if you've forgotten something.

However - if you're environmentally conscious, you'll feel guilty about using a top loader because it wastes so much water. It will also cost you more in water and electricity costs (more water means more costs in heating it up!).

Also, your clothes last longer with a front loader: a front loader cleans by tumbling your clothes, whereas a top loader cleans by whacking them with a ruddy great paddle.

I bought a top loader when we moved here as they seemed to be more popular. I have never owned such a crap appliance in my life. Clothes didn't come out clean no matter what detergent or wash plan i used, in the end i got the manufacturer out and after they spent half a day here doing different loads of washing, even they admitted there was nothing wrong with the machine it just wasnt great at getting clothes clean ??????????????????????????????????????????? lmao,, not sure why else i would have a washer but anyway, needless to say after a bit of a fight i got a refund and bought a front loader. I now have a Bosch front loader and its fantastic i would never buy a top loader again.

Cal x

I have a front loader but, I have to say when I was Home Helping a few years back the pensioners I would visit all without exception preferred the top loaders. I always reckon pensioners are savvy and wise so I reckon they must be better. They take bigger loads too.

This pensioner has a front loader!! Sorry couldn't resist.

Honestly don't like top loaders, think the clothes come out tangled and not as clean.

I think some people stick to what they are used to. Washing Machines used to be built to last so if you had a toploader and see the modern front loaders only lasting a few years you may think toploaders are better.

Front loaders will be kinder on clothes as they use gravity to chuck them around, they also use less water and electricity.

Toploader benefits are chucking stuff in after it has started and no need to bend down to put in/out.

This pensioner has a front loader!! Sorry couldn't resist.

Honestly don't like top loaders, think the clothes come out tangled and not as clean.

The other thing I meant to add about top loaders is that I am quite short, and (don't laugh) find it difficult to get small items out of the bottom, worried some one might find me upended in one one day.

The other thing I meant to add about top loaders is that I am quite short, and (don't laugh) find it difficult to get small items out of the bottom, worried some one might find me upended in one one day.

That's what those big wooden tongs are for :laugh: You're not alone though a regular part of my job was helping with the washing. I often wondered how some of my petite little ladies managed when I wasn't there.

I had a top loader for a couple of years and I liked it because the cycles were much shorter. The wash cycles on my front loader are so long, there is a quick 15 minute one for freshening things up but most of the others are two hours or so. On the other hand, at least the clothes come out clean! So on balance it is a front loader for me.

I have a front loader but, I have to say when I was Home Helping a few years back the pensioners I would visit all without exception preferred the top loaders. I always reckon pensioners are savvy and wise so I reckon they must be better. They take bigger loads too.

The only reason they had top loaders is, that's what everybody used to have in Australia, and they've stuck with what they know!

When I first arrived in Australia in 1985, I struggled find a front loader in the shops - people looked at you strangely when you asked for one. I did eventually get one, but there was no front-loader detergent in the supermarkets for it! I assume it was the American influence.

I've had a Hitachi top loader for years which doesn't have an agitator so it is kind on clothes. I've been really happy with the job it does and it is still going strong but I've been thinking of getting a front loader so I can stack the dryer on top of it.

I've been dithering over buying a front loader because of the wash cycle times. Do people find the wash cycle times a pain?

I have used both (and my nans old twin tub) and I prefer a front loader hands down. I have a large capacity one (8Kg) so it takes quilts and duvets, and the washing always comes out clean. Mine has a pause button, so even when it is mid-cycle I can pause it to add the stray sock from the laundry floor. It is water and energy efficient too. I make my own washing powder (which is probably not as strong as store bought), and always have clean and fresh smelling clothes from the washer.

I've had a Hitachi top loader for years which doesn't have an agitator so it is kind on clothes. I've been really happy with the job it does and it is still going strong but I've been thinking of getting a front loader so I can stack the dryer on top of it.

I've been dithering over buying a front loader because of the wash cycle times. Do people find the wash cycle times a pain?

Not particularly. My basic cotton wash takes 57 minutes or thereabouts. Obviously it is longer if I select intensive wash etc. My machine weighs the clothes so that it knows how much water and how long the cycle should be, but it is always about an hour.

Archived