What would you change about the UK ?

Parley

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That should be easy enough to ask the electrician to do.

How about design homes with showers, ensuites and laundries.

I laugh on the tv shows when you see the washing machine in the kitchen.

Almost all houses have showers, many have ensuites and laundries and it's much less common to have a washing machine in the kitchen. We have moved on from the 60s :)

I doubt your statement that most houses in the UK have separate showers and laundries.

When we were flat-hunting, most flats seemed to have showers in the bath and washing machines in the kitchen. Whereas Australians (including my oh) find the very idea of a washing machine in the kitchen totally bizarre.

When we were flat-hunting, most flats seemed to have showers in the bath and washing machines in the kitchen. Whereas Australians (including my oh) find the very idea of a washing machine in the kitchen totally bizarre.

As do we. We have never had a washing machine in the kitchen. Sometimes especially in a flat space is at a premium of course.

Then you'll love this one. The washing machine is just poking out below the door knob on the right. We had to chop the draining board in half and remove the cupboard below to house it. The little chest freezer (rear right) is where the cold shelf/pantry used to be but we knocked it down. The cold shelf was a concretes slab projecting to the outside through the brick wall to draw in the cold. Wonderful idea in winter but not much cop in summer :-)

kitchenuk.jpg

One thing that amazes me in the UK now is the number of people with central heating. When I left the UK thirty years ago, it was almost unheard of and something only extravagant people did (because the running costs were so dear). I remember jumping out of bed on frosty mornings, turning on the gas fire and diving back under the covers for half an hour - and this was in a newly renovated flat in Scotland. It never occurred to us to put in radiators!

One thing that amazes me in the UK now is the number of people with central heating. When I left the UK thirty years ago, it was almost unheard of and something only extravagant people did (because the running costs were so dear). I remember jumping out of bed on frosty mornings, turning on the gas fire and diving back under the covers for half an hour - and this was in a newly renovated flat in Scotland. It never occurred to us to put in radiators!

I remember scraping ice of the inside of the windows when I was little. And Bri Nylon sheets that stuck to you, with so many heavy blankets you could hardly move. Mum used to light paraffin heaters in the kitchen and we'd wash there and get dressed too. Ah the days :laugh:

We had central heating when I was a child, but we rarely used it, probably because, as you say, it was expensive to run. Like Que Sera Sera, I remember those days of ice on the inside of the windows and getting dressed under the duvet, having warmed up the clothes first! I do remember the days when we did use it and my school uniform was so warm! We had an open fire and an Aga, before they were considered posh. I've never lived in a house without central heating though (except obviously in Australia where, in our old house, we had an open fire and in the newer one we had reverse cycle aircon.) I was a nanny for a while, living in different houses and since I've been with my oh we've lived in 15 houses.

I've never lived in house, except one flat, where the washing machine was in the kitchen either, although some of my friends do. The flat we had in Sydney and the Victorian terrace we had in Melbourne had the washing machines and dryers in the bathrooms.

That reminds me while some people are talking about those big ugly metal things in almost every house in the uk , just to get back on track , Perth is around the 30 mark this week .....this warm weather really gets me down , having to go to remote beaches , blue sky and picturesque sunsets , everyone looking happy and gay in a beautiful part of the world , why would anyone want to settle here .......?

That reminds me while some people are talking about those big ugly metal things in almost every house in the uk , just to get back on track , Perth is around the 30 mark this week .....this warm weather really gets me down , having to go to remote beaches , blue sky and picturesque sunsets , everyone looking happy and gay in a beautiful part of the world , why would anyone want to settle here .......?

I feel short changed here Nick! Only 26C and I'm not feeling gay :wink::laugh:

Archived