Rockhampton Qld or Perth WA with young family???

E2306

Hi. We are in a dilemma...do we go with a job offer in Rockhampton or to family in Perth? Have weighed up all the pros and cons and are slightly veering toward Perth but would be very grateful for any advice or views. We've three pre school kids so it must be very family oriented! Thanks in advance ?

at this very moment I would say job in Rockhampton, assuming there is no job offer in Perth. How close you are to the family? without a job you could be on a flight back within a year and would be further away than QLD.

Are you coming to Australia to be closer to family, or are there other reasons?

Hi there. No job offer in Perth and it's my husband's family...more a stepping stone for us to get sorted. However I've been told Perth is great for young families. We are wanting to move for a list of reasons..but mainly a better quality of life for our kids (and us!)

It all really depends on several things.

Job prospects don't seem all to good in Perth atm, what would they be like in your and your husband line of work? are there any jobs around?

Would you be staying with them until you get yourself settled?

Would you have enough funds to live without a job for say 6 months?

I'm not too sure about Rockhampton, but not being so high north I assume it would be a great climate to bring up kids ( plenty of outdoorsy kind of stuff/ playgrounds/sport/camping/weekends away.

We're looking into Qld for the same reason!

Just my 2 cents, but I would take the job in Qld and try and settle in there, maybe even keep an eye open for jobs in WA ;)

At least your husband would get some Aussie experience under his belt and when times turn for the better, it might come to use..

The job offer is actually for me...I'm a secondary school teacher and my husband is a joiner (carpenter in Oz). My prospects are good in Qld with a shortage of teachers apparently but hubby reckons he'll have a better chance of getting a job in Perth. Rockhampton looks to be a large town of 100,000. Only concern is it's 20 min inland between mountains and can get very hot in the summer. If we go to Perth we would be staying with my brother in law until we got jobs. Are you still in UK planning to immigrate?

The job offer is actually for me...I'm a secondary school teacher and my husband is a joiner (carpenter in Oz). My prospects are good in Qld with a shortage of teachers apparently but hubby reckons he'll have a better chance of getting a job in Perth. Rockhampton looks to be a large town of 100,000. Only concern is it's 20 min inland between mountains and can get very hot in the summer. If we go to Perth we would be staying with my brother in law until we got jobs. Are you still in UK planning to immigrate?

:laugh: Gotta laugh at that @E2306...That range is called 'The Beserker Range'. Rocky residents call it the suburb in the sky.

Ever thought of commuting to Rocky from, say Yeppoon? Nearer the sea, better breezes and a more relaxed lifestyle? Or, have a squiz at Emu Park, a very nice coastal village.

By the bye, Perth gets very hot in summer, as well.

Cheers, Bobj.

Rural QLD maybe so

Hey there

I have visited a friend who lived in Zelzi at the time, which is about 40 mins from Rockhampton. I loved the area and especially Yeppoon, the beach is beautiful and its a nice little town, we also went to Great Keppel Island which was fab, however we were on holiday, so not sure what it would be like living there, my friend loves it. Rockhampton seemed a nice place too. House's seemed fairly reasonable, a lot better than were we live in NSW. But it does get very very hot in the summer time, and don't forget the rainy season Jan - March normally. I have also heard that Perth is not too great work wise at the moment, I would be more swayed towards the job for now, unless of course you have enough funds to see you through for 6 months or so.

Good Luck

Hi. We are in a dilemma...do we go with a job offer in Rockhampton or to family in Perth? Have weighed up all the pros and cons and are slightly veering toward Perth but would be very grateful for any advice or views. We've three pre school kids so it must be very family oriented! Thanks in advance 

Hi There

We are from the UK and live in Yeppoon ( been in OZ for 3.5 years). my hubby works in Rockhampton - its a 35 minutes nice easy commute everyday for him and we really like it here....no stupid motorways too...lol...feel free to message me if you would like to chat more. Rocky is VERY hot in summer but Yeppoon is great and we are a few degrees cooler than Rocky....with beautiful beaches. :)

Thanks for your replies! Hi Millers I'd be keen to know more about Yeppoon as we've started looking into there..bit worried about the heat and three little ones in Rockhampton. Anything in relation to schools childcare rent things to do etc would be great!

Thanks for your replies! Hi Millers I'd be keen to know more about Yeppoon as we've started looking into there..bit worried about the heat and three little ones in Rockhampton. Anything in relation to schools childcare rent things to do etc would be great!

Hi there- how old are your kids? there are many schools here in Yeppoon....private catholic and public...lots of at home day care places and after school clubs. have a look on realestate.com.au and type in 4703 in the search tool...that will show you all the houses available in Yeppoon and surrounding areas. We live 20 mins from the centre of Yeppoon right on the beach. Its a lovely seaside town- there is some work being done on the beachfront to create a Foreshore which is a an open air splash areas for kids.....it will be finished at Christmas( just in time for the summer sun)

There is a fab wildlife park called Cooberrie park ( just 10 mins out of Yeppoon) where you can stroke kangaroos and cuddle a koala etc.....its run by a lovely couple from Sheffield, and then there's a crocodile farm which you do a tour of- its fab and at the end of the tour you get to hold a baby croc....- this is called Koorana croc farm....10 mins from Yeppoon. There is Capricorn caves- 35 mins from Yeppoon which is great to see.

There is mostly a breeze in Yeppoon as its a coastal town and quite a few houses have a pool ( which is fab for kids) we have one and we use it from Oct- April.

Rents can vary quite a bit depending on area but I can certainely advise you where to stay away from etc

For example we rent our house for $525 ( about £240) pw- and this gives us a 5 yr old 5 bed house with a pool 2 mins walk to the beach in a nice estate.

Petrol is very reasonable here at the moment unleaded is $1.28 per litre- £ 0.55p Per litre)

cars are expensive to buy over here...so be prepared....

groceries are expensive too...there are 2 main supermarkets in Yeppoon.....meat, cheese, cereal I think is dear compared to the UK.

Hope this helps....when are you thinking of coming over?

When you say job offer do you mean a school has offered you a job or you can do relief work like most when they arrive?

Job every time. Your chances are significantly better in rural Queensland (as most people dont want to live there) than Perth where there is an oversupply of teachers. If you do your time in the bush - assuming, as benj1980 has said, you have a job offer not just a "yeah you can do CRT" - then you will get brownie points should you decide to move to a more popular place in Queensland and hope for another job.

I know a lot disagree with me but I reckon not to be too close to the inlaws - even the most balanced of us with a few hormonal days under our belts can get very resentful that his mob gets all of your kids as they grow up and your mob misses out on everything. If he is an Aussie then returning to a place where he is familiar and you are not can lead to a definite power imbalance as you have to learn everything, he has friends you have to start from scratch etc

Hi.my husband is a joiner and we are planning to make the move. (I used to live in Gladstone which is 1.5hours away from rock Hampton. Rock Hampton is lovely. We ideally would like to go to that area or back to Gladstone. But from looking online on jobs websites we can't seem to find any joinery work in those areas. Most joinery jobs appear to be around gold coast/brisbane area.

It would be great to hear if your partner finds work in that area.

Hi there. No job offer in Perth and it's my husband's family...more a stepping stone for us to get sorted. However I've been told Perth is great for young families. We are wanting to move for a list of reasons..but mainly a better quality of life for our kids (and us!)

Perth is fantastic for young families..... I really recommend it.... It is remote from other cities, but as a place to live and raise kids it is awesome....

Carpenters are in demand everywhere, wood is plentiful in Australia and not expensive, so it's used an awful lot. Lots of outdoors stuff like decking and pergolas, as well as framing and boarding houses.

I was at a garden centre the other day and they had half oak barrels with iron rings, cheaper than the plastic replica barrels sitting next to them. I know in the UK if you want an authentic oak barrel, you'll pay through the nose for it, or you'll just get pine that rots quickly.

Hi Benj1980 - job offer all being well.

Thanks a million for info on Yeppoon Miller. Are childcare cost the same as Rockhampton? There doesn't seem to be very many rental properties in Yeppoon?? We are hoping for next summer (UK) but may be sooner depending on the job. Anyone offer advice on prospects for a carpenter Rockhampton area??

They've had a seriously big rebuilding campaign recently; the joint got pretty smashed up by Cyclone Marcia so at least you know anything there now is built to really high standards - I've been reinstating roads that got damaged in the hillier bits.

Personally I can take or leave Rocky itself - it's always seemed scruffy and overly obsessed with bull statues, though the surrounding areas are lovely and some wonderful national parks nearby. If for whatever reason you end up in Rocky rather than one of the coastal area check flood zones, there's been some major floods recently and parts of the city get completely inundated. You should be able to find that info on the council website.

• 3 weeks later...

hi all

we are just waiting for our visa to be granted before moving to yeppoon area,when we visited in july this year we checked out houses and schools we also checked out surrounding areas and visited beautiful Keppel island and felt really positive about what we looked at,my wife has a job in rocky for a large hairdressing franchaise and the daily drive was so relaxing and easy to commute to with beautiful surroundings plus we have friends already living in pacific heights which should make settling in a whole lot easier.

Cannot wait to begin our new start and try and build a new life in OZ :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

cant really help with childcare as my son is 10 so at school. I think there all much of a muchness and depending on the type of Visa your on you may be able to claim back some of the childcare costs at tax time. If you look on realestate.com and type in 4703 in the area code it will bring up loads of rental houses.

Thanks a million for info on Yeppoon Miller. Are childcare cost the same as Rockhampton? There doesn't seem to be very many rental properties in Yeppoon?? We are hoping for next summer (UK) but may be sooner depending on the job. Anyone offer advice on prospects for a carpenter Rockhampton area??

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there, Rocky isn't too bad (OMG never thought I'd say that!!!) We've been here 5 years, summer gets easier to deal with every year, there's aircon everywhere, you just learn to dress suitably and adapt (ie the kids are in the pool at 430pm right now, next month it'll be around 530pm when they jump in so it's a bit cooler). Rocky has improved MAJORLY in the last few years, so many more things and the council are doing a lot too I reckon (new parks, the water park, nice family events in the evenings such as the riverside festival, then you have the food and wine festival, luna markets etc etc) which even the kids enjoy. Restaurants are improving and new ones opening up (just ignore the 5 McDs and 3 KFCs in one small town!)

Every expat I've met here, has said the same thing. The first few months were like "wtf, I need to leave" but somehow it just grabs you and holds on, next thing, you don't want to move away! The beach isn't too far, I'd prefer to drive to the beach on weekends (and occassionally stay a night in apartments in Yeppoon), than to commute - not that I have a choice since husband works in the hospital so needs to live locally for on-calls.