What jobs are doing good in Aus

fifi69

And what trades aren't ??

Just a heads up for those thinking of coming.

maybe different for each state, so what's good and what isn't .

Perth....OH is in the motor trade, all good (thank you Perth drivers):tongue:

me ...admin, nothing doing.

so how is it going, in your trade, in your state?

is IT good ??, what's it like for brickies, plumbers, electricians, hairdressers etc. Can someone here still come and get a job on the mines?? Are teachers employable?? Is there still a shortage of nurses??

does your job give you a better lifestyle than doing the same Job in the UK?? Do you care if you are paid less, to have a better lifestyle ??

Can't answer the first bit of your post but definithe second - have taken whooping 30% pay cut but absolutely love my job. Am now on flextime which is fab. Previously worked long hours for more money. Used to enjoy my job but now my quality of life is even better. Taking the afternoon off today because I can:-)

Can't answer the first bit of your post but definithe second - have taken whooping 30% pay cut but absolutely love my job. Am now on flextime which is fab. Previously worked long hours for more money. Used to enjoy my job but now my quality of life is even better. Taking the afternoon off today because I can:-)

So you were happy to swap long hours, to take a pay cut, to enjoy a better quality of life??

Would you recommend it?....has it made a difference to how you see life??

Yep has worked out that way. Although to be fair this was the first job I got from UK so just pleased to get something in Australia in similar area of work. In longer term who knows but for now I am very happy to trade the level of pay I was on for lifestyle here. Should probably get off the internet now and enjoy my free afternoon ;-)

Certainly not my trade - pay is about 50% of what it was 2 years ago and we (Geologists) have about 40% unemployment. What work there is, is like what I am doing now - zero hour contracts. No holiday pay and don't know if you have a job one day to the next.

Certainly not my trade - pay is about 50% of what it was 2 years ago and we (Geologists) have about 40% unemployment. What work there is, is like what I am doing now - zero hour contracts. No holiday pay and don't know if you have a job one day to the next.

That's awful Verystormy. My sons have a friend who is a geologist and is now working in South America as he couldn't find a decent job here.

All about supply and demand, I have had roller coaster rides with pay when I lived in the UK, when construction was busy you would get good rates as soon as it slowed down I have experienced pay cuts of 50% virtually over night you get told take it or leave it.

Construction is booming here in Sydney and rates are creeping upwards, cant see this lasting more than 18 months then it will hit with a bang !

making hay while the sun shines

All about supply and demand, I have had roller coaster rides with pay when I lived in the UK, when construction was busy you would get good rates as soon as it slowed down I have experienced pay cuts of 50% virtually over night you get told take it or leave it.

Construction is booming here in Sydney and rates are creeping upwards, cant see this lasting more than 18 months then it will hit with a bang !

making hay while the sun shines

My husband worked in construction for years in Sydney. Agree with you ...................... make hay while the sun shines.

That's awful Verystormy. My sons have a friend who is a geologist and is now working in South America as he couldn't find a decent job here.

Doing fine as a consultant geologist; about to get my Principal status, money hasn't gone up but haven't had a pay cut either, and as you can disguise yourself under the geotechnical classification there's a fair bit of work in the major cities; all the ones I know who've left the regions have picked up work rapidly in the smoke.

Husband still fitting in the mines, it's interesting what the GM is telling the ground staff as of the short term future and proposed ramp ups as opposed to the general gloom and doom of the media. We also see the same in the amount of work coming in right now which are the preliminaries for a ramp up. It's going to take maybe another year or 18 months to happen at the front end, but the indicators are that there is a large turnaround coming, at least in the Bowen Basin.

OHs doing well at the moment ( fingers crossed touching wood etc.) Hes had a promotion and has had other job offers since. I genuinely don't think it's as easy to get FIFO work as people assume , I here ah well if I can't get any things there's always the mines, but you'll find a waiting list of people trying. My work is sometimes manic other times exceptionally quiet but that suits me to some extent as I like to be free when the OH is home.

Guest The Pom Queen

Cairns the job front is quiet, what is available is snapped up quickly by backpackers. The main work here is Hospitality and Nursing.

Doing fine as a consultant geologist; about to get my Principal status, money hasn't gone up but haven't had a pay cut either, and as you can disguise yourself under the geotechnical classification there's a fair bit of work in the major cities; all the ones I know who've left the regions have picked up work rapidly in the smoke.

Husband still fitting in the mines, it's interesting what the GM is telling the ground staff as of the short term future and proposed ramp ups as opposed to the general gloom and doom of the media. We also see the same in the amount of work coming in right now which are the preliminaries for a ramp up. It's going to take maybe another year or 18 months to happen at the front end, but the indicators are that there is a large turnaround coming, at least in the Bowen Basin.

Applied for loads of roles in coal and geotech, but geotech wont touch me without a masters in engineering and coal want a million tickets related to coal.

It is certainly doom and gloom in the metals world - we are all now watching the gold price very carefully. A lot of WA gold mines are very marginal and some will already be losing money. Even some of the biggest - Telfer and Tropicana and Sunrise Dam. three of the biggest mines in WA all need a price of about $1100. I am currently doing a bit of contracting as Geology Manager for a gold mine and another $30 slip in price and we have to close. Copper, nickel and lead are all in a very bad way. That is causing even more pain for gold miners as we rely in bad times on copper - most gold mines carry copper as a by product and traditionally when gold is down, copper is up. But now both are down.

The iron ore guys are still in cost cutting mode - another couple of hundred jobs shed this week in WA. Even Roy Hill needs $51 a tonne to make money!

Applied for loads of roles in coal and geotech, but geotech wont touch me without a masters in engineering and coal want a million tickets related to coal.

It is certainly doom and gloom in the metals world - we are all now watching the gold price very carefully. A lot of WA gold mines are very marginal and some will already be losing money. Even some of the biggest - Telfer and Tropicana and Sunrise Dam. three of the biggest mines in WA all need a price of about $1100. I am currently doing a bit of contracting as Geology Manager for a gold mine and another $30 slip in price and we have to close. Copper, nickel and lead are all in a very bad way. That is causing even more pain for gold miners as we rely in bad times on copper - most gold mines carry copper as a by product and traditionally when gold is down, copper is up. But now both are down.

The iron ore guys are still in cost cutting mode - another couple of hundred jobs shed this week in WA. Even Roy Hill needs $51 a tonne to make money!

I read a very interesting article about the way the economy is going and it doesn't make good reading, I won't post it on here for obvious reasons but it was a real eye opener. Basically is said that Australia grabbed China's coat tail 15 years ago and assumed it would just be a free ride from that point on.

Farm machinery operating from my perspective is going pretty good, never had to wait more than a week to get a job plus the wages are pretty decent and nearly always get a free house, bills paid etc... just buy your food... down side (unless like me you enjoy the country life)... it's often in more remote areas and the hours can be long, (10 hour day is considered a very easy day)

VS, unfortunately you're encountering the prejudice that consulting has against exploration people; we very rarely consider ex-mining people for consulting; we find that the streams are too disparate and haven't had good experiences in the past.

I can't speak for the WA coal industry, but as a geo in QLD the basics that you need is your Standard 11 induction (2 or 3 day course), your Schedule 4 Coal Board medical and maybe your light vehicle ticket. It gets a bit more complicated when you want to go into supervision or operations or for BHP (who do their own thing, Cheers, BHP) when you need specific tickets, and then there's the site-specific induction for the actual mine, but nothing that a few days with an RTO can't fix. I'm sure you've explored every avenue by now, but there are still vacancies is allied jobs like coal quality technicians, and there's even been some recruiting for greenskin boneheads recently; it's just they now tend to use labour hire companies like Workpac rather than working direct.

• 4 weeks later...

In reply to comment that started the thread, good to hear the motor trade is doing well,

Im am half way through an application for a skilled independent visa, using my previous experience in the motor trade as a master technician, hopefully there will be some good job prospects in the near future in the Perth area!

i have experience in power generation and heavy diesel aswell so hopefully thats another string to my bow!

Drs seem to be in demand judging by the offers my husband keeps getting. Mind you, the areas with the ridiculous salaries aren't necessarily where you'd want to live, but maybe a couple of years as a retirement job might be a good idea....

Archived