What's a liveable wage in Southeast UK?

Rainman

We've been shocked by how expensive Dorset is.

We are shocked and we live here. The cost of Dorset has just been going up and up over the years and is still going up. Its crazy. Unfortunately the wages here dont seem to rise much so most have to work extra hours to keep up with the cost of living.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You say you will be driving to work - is your car essential to your work, or is your work not accessible by public transport? Insisting on being close enough to drive will place you in some very expensive areas indeed.

I think you need to double-check the requirements for the spouse visa. As you are continuing with the same employer, I don't believe your wife needs to stay behind for six months. You simply apply while you're in Australia and wait until it's approved. My oh's visa took about three weeks - we're in Sydney, it may take longer elsewhere.

I need a car for work unfortunately and if it means we can live somewhere more affordable I am willing to have a long drive, in fact I'm expecting it. I know a guy in our office in London who travels up from Portsmouth everyday.

I'm leaving my options wide open for where to live at the moment and comparing property prices from Bedfordshire round to Hampshire.

I read the other day the Governor of the Bank of England announced interest rates may begin to rise later this year. I wonder how much that may affect property prices? of course then that would make the Pound stronger.

How did you find the Spouse Visa process?

We are shocked and we live here. The cost of Dorset has just been going up and up over the years and is still going up. Its crazy. Unfortunately the wages here dont seem to rise much so most have to work extra hours to keep up with the cost of living.

Can I ask what part of Dorset you're in?

I need a car for work unfortunately and if it means we can live somewhere more affordable I am willing to have a long drive, in fact I'm expecting it. I know a guy in our office in London who travels up from Portsmouth everyday.

How did you find the Spouse Visa process?

In that case, that graph should help you narrow down where to look. Make sure you're reading it correctly - those figures aren't house prices, they're how much you'll SAVE on house prices by moving to those areas compared to London.

We found it easy because we were able to rely on savings - we had already sold our house while we decided what to do next, so by the time we applied, we'd had enough money sitting in a bank account for twelve months. You complete the application form online then have to take a printed copy to an interview. The application form is painful to complete but not complicated (the only trap is knowing you have to fill in Appendix 2, which they don't tell you).

All they are worried about is that the spouse won't be a burden on the taxpayer. That's why, if it's a brand new job and you're going to be on probation, you might have to wait 6 months, since the job isn't secure. However if you're continuing an existing role with the same company at the same salary, this is what the documentation says:

"Where the applicant’s partner is returning with the applicant to the UK to work... the applicant’s partner must be in employment at the date of application and have been with the same employer for at least 6 months prior to the date ofapplication. They must have been paid throughout that period of 6 months at a levelof gross annual salary or income which equals or exceeds the level relied upon inthe application."

In that case, that graph should help you narrow down where to look. Make sure you're reading it correctly - those figures aren't house prices, they're how much you'll SAVE on house prices by moving to those areas compared to London.

We found it easy because we were able to rely on savings - we had already sold our house while we decided what to do next, so by the time we applied, we'd had enough money sitting in a bank account for twelve months. You complete the application form online then have to take a printed copy to an interview. The application form is painful to complete but not complicated (the only trap is knowing you have to fill in Appendix 2, which they don't tell you).

All they are worried about is that the spouse won't be a burden on the taxpayer. That's why, if it's a brand new job and you're going to be on probation, you might have to wait 6 months, since the job isn't secure. However if you're continuing an existing role with the same company at the same salary, this is what the documentation says:

"Where the applicant’s partner is returning with the applicant to the UK to work... the applicant’s partner must be in employment at the date of application and have been with the same employer for at least 6 months prior to the date ofapplication. They must have been paid throughout that period of 6 months at a levelof gross annual salary or income which equals or exceeds the level relied upon inthe application."

Thanks for the info.

How are you enjoying being back?

Thanks for the info.

How are you enjoying being back?

Not, to be honest. I realise how much I've been living in a little privileged bubble in Australia for the last 30 years! Living in Southampton makes that more obvious, of course - walking along Above Bar, you'd think the entire population was made up of dole bludgers and bogans, mostly morbidly obese, tattooed and with fags hanging out of their mouths (and that's just the women). If you see an attractive normal-weight person then it's probably an Eastern European.

Whenever we go to Salisbury or Winchester I'm reassured there are "normal" people in the UK, but I'm surprised at how polarised the populations are from place to place.

We've also found everything (other than basic supermarket shopping) expensive - of course we're relying on Australian money whereas you'll be on a UK salary, and therefore the exchange rate won't have as much effect. Rents here are almost as dear as Sydney, something we didn't expect - and in Bournemouth, where we started out, they were actually more expensive!!

The main problem for me now is that I was looking forward to enjoying the ability to travel to interesting places and doing more cultural activities - but we're so shell shocked at the amount it has cost us to arrive and set up, I'm terrified to spend any more. It's an unreasonable reaction (although having enough money for our retirement is a serious concern) and I know I have to get over it if this isn't going to become a totally pointless exercise.

Your best bet is to head back to Oz, then again you must have disliked it to even return to the UK.

My oh is allergic to the sun. We half-doubted that diagnosis when we were in Oz, but the difference now we're in England is so obvious, we accept that it's correct. If we go back to Oz then he'll have to stay indoors most of his life - not acceptable.

Move further North? Maybe more affordable in the midlands whilst still being able to go to London every now and again.

Move further North? Maybe more affordable in the midlands whilst still being able to go to London every now and again.

That is what I advocate too. Personally I wouldn't live in Southampton if you paid me. There are many lovely places up north, much cheaper and friendlier too. Also even less sunshine, so all good :cool:

That is what I advocate too. Personally I wouldn't live in Southampton if you paid me. There are many lovely places up north, much cheaper and friendlier too. Also even less sunshine, so all good :cool:

That's what we're planning on. We have a six month lease here so will have to wait until that's expired.

My only worry now is that my oh hates moving, and although we don't like Southampton, we both love our little flat with its million-dollar views over the river and the Solent. And we are managing to enjoy ourselves more (by getting out of So'ton as much as possible!!). My fear is that in six months' time he will feel happy enough in that routine that he won't want to move! He's always been a bit of a loner and won't mind that we don't have a community here to engage with - whereas I do.

Absolutely. If we were of retirement age we would have gone north when we returned to UK and indeed might head that way one day.

Still I don't think it will make the wine any cheaper, but then I would never have expected to pay $10 for a bottle in Australia and wouldn't expect to pay £5 in the UK. That wine is for cooking with isn't it? :laugh:

Absolutely. If we were of retirement age we would have gone north when we returned to UK and indeed might head that way one day.

Still I don't think it will make the wine any cheaper, but then I would never have expected to pay $10 for a bottle in Australia and wouldn't expect to pay £5 in the UK. That wine is for cooking with isn't it? :laugh:

My oh used to be like you! When we met, he wouldn't buy a bottle under $20 and I was drinking cask. I played a few tricks on him with anonymous bottles and eventually he had to admit he couldn't tell the difference between a $20 and a $10 bottle a lot of the time - though he could spot a $5 bottle every time! One he realised he was suffering from "price snobbery" we set a budget of $10 to $12 per bottle and used to stick to it pretty well. Given the way Liquorland, Dan Murphy etc offer big discounts on mixed half dozens etc, there's a huge amount of choice in that price range in Australia.

I don't think anyone can really tell the difference between cheap and expensive wine. I couldn't care if it was 10 years a old and had a fancy name. We used to buy a lot of cask wine in Australia, I do miss that but I have made up for it with all the lovely cider lol

I can tell the difference between good wine and poor wine. Good wine tends to be more expensive. Having said that, we have had some wines recently where I swear the reserve version has been inferior to the regular version (Sticks Chardonnay and Stockman Shiraz if anyone is interested).

We have friends in Sydney,Melbourne and Perth that can't even get close to buying a decent 2 bedroomed flat ,and they earn over $100,000, how do people make ends meet OVER HERE When a decent house in a decent area is now over a Million Dollars. And the cost of living on average is 4 times greater than in the UK.And this government is going to stick a Property Tax on top of the Rates of $500 per house over $300,000,we have just come back from the Uk last year.And we found it really really cheap compared to Australia.ALL parts of Australia.In the UK, there is only one part that is really expensive.The South East. And even then my wife's sister lives in a easy commute to Waterloo.From Bishop Stortford. From Harlow Train Station And Her other sister lives in Aylesbury Buckingham shire,and their kids work in London.Even the fast train service from Norfolk only takes 1 hour.And a Four Bedroomed detached house in Norlfolk or Lincolnshire is so cheap.He could Easily Live on 38,000 pounds.Depending on where he lives. In Australia you have no choice.Australia is noted as having the 2nd highest cost of living in the world.And it's going up.How people are going to manage,Meat Is to expensive to buy now,$42Kg for Beef or a leg of lamb,abd they say the more meat Australia exports the dearer it will get.That goes for gas aswell. Even where we live the next Council Rate rise will put us over $2800 a half year.Car Rego is now ridiculous.And that's on the Sunshine coast.And There's nothing here.One foot in the Grave we call it!

We have friends in Sydney,Melbourne and Perth that can't even get close to buying a decent 2 bedroomed flat ,and they earn over $100,000, how do people make ends meet OVER HERE When a decent house in a decent area is now over a Million Dollars. And the cost of living on average is 4 times greater than in the UK.And this government is going to stick a Property Tax on top of the Rates of $500 per house over $300,000,we have just come back from the Uk last year.And we found it really really cheap compared to Australia.ALL parts of Australia.In the UK, there is only one part that is really expensive.The South East. And even then my wife's sister lives in a easy commute to Waterloo.From Bishop Stortford. From Harlow Train Station And Her other sister lives in Aylesbury Buckingham shire,and their kids work in London.Even the fast train service from Norfolk only takes 1 hour.And a Four Bedroomed detached house in Norlfolk or Lincolnshire is so cheap.He could Easily Live on 38,000 pounds.Depending on where he lives. In Australia you have no choice.Australia is noted as having the 2nd highest cost of living in the world.And it's going up.How people are going to manage,Meat Is to expensive to buy now,$42Kg for Beef or a leg of lamb,abd they say the more meat Australia exports the dearer it will get.That goes for gas aswell. Even where we live the next Council Rate rise will put us over $2800 a half year.Car Rego is now ridiculous.And that's on the Sunshine coast.And There's nothing here.One foot in the Grave we call it!

If you truly believe what you are writing you should return to the UK. We have just sold our pebble-dash 1930s semi in an undesirable area in Surrey for the equivalent of $900,000 on current exchange rates which in QLD will buy you a beachside detached property with pool or acreage if you live inland. Your wife's sister living within an easy commute from Waterloo will be in an overpriced property for sure. The cost of living 4 times higher........really. You had better get on that plane to the UK now before its too late lol.

Well I can assure you that lamb and beef are a helluva lot cheaper here than where you live Zac. I don't eat meat so the cost of it doesn't matter much but my husband does and he pays a fraction of what you are paying at our local butcher. Our council rates for the year, which we have just paid were $1,555. That is cheaper than what we paid last year - don't know why. I do absolutely agree with you about the stupid house prices in the cities on the mainland - especially Sydney and Melbourne.

If you truly believe what you are writing you should return to the UK. We have just sold our pebble-dash 1930s semi in an undesirable area in Surrey for the equivalent of $900,000 on current exchange rates which in QLD will buy you a beachside detached property with pool or acreage if you live inland. Your wife's sister living within an easy commute from Waterloo will be in an overpriced property for sure. The cost of living 4 times higher........really. You had better get on that plane to the UK now before its too late lol.

He's tried it. Whinged about the prices there when he did, and now, lo and behold, it is 4 times cheaper than Oz! Pulled him up on his prices before as well. "44kg for beef or leg of lamb" Give me a break! Anyone with one iota of common sense knows that he's talking cr@p as you only have to look at Coles or Woolies website to get an idea of meat prices and they are top dollar and i can buy for less than half their prices.

As for "one foot in the grave" rather apt, as I would think that 2 minutes in his company would be aking to a weeks in Victor Meldrew's!

Why don't you give it a rest Zack! The intention of this forum is to offer advice to potential migrants that can be of some help, not to berate them with your bleating about one country or the other. You have absolutely no credibility whatsoever as witnessed by these kid of diatribes from your past. Try offering something factual that will be of benefit to others, as opposed to constantly spouting your seemingly hate filled vitriol for both countries, depending on how you are simply feeling at the time.

I'm posting your previous rants merely to "balance" what you are currently saying with regards to Oz and Australians

"We moved back 5 months ago after 27 years in Aus.What a disaster from the go.Can't wait to get back to reality and peopl;e in authority that treat you as a fellow humane.Perpetual darkness; rain,bitter cold,and it's been a mild winter.The whole system sucks,Age discrimination is rife.Car insurance,utillity bills,council tax, ALL GANGSTERS,Wanting Huge sums of money.It's a up hill battle,nobody cares.Theres no light at the end of a big dark tunnel.Rules and regulations,security questions,drives you potty.Checking who you are,the credit system.The banks are run by the Mafia.My god it's a nightmare. "

"Don't think of coming back to the UK,unless your well off.Britain is the THE RIP OFF CAPITAL OF THE WORLD.Tax is all they think of,they will tax you on everything.Only the very wealthy and certain companies,get away without paying any tax.The Tories are in power.For the masses it's MISERY and POVERTY.But thank god only till 2015,the count down is on.Don't believe a word about what you read or hear,There is no recovery.Age discrination is rampant.Try to get insurance for a car,You can't even hire one if you are over 70.or get life insurance.Utility companies,insurance companies,councils,banks.Are all just gansters.Australia believe me is the only place to live.Well and truly named THE LUCKY COUNTRY.After 5 long months,we have learnt our lesson.They say the older you get the wiser you get.Not true in our case. As soon as we can sell up,we are on our way back. "

"We moved back to the Uk last October.And what we miss about Australia is everything it stands for,i didn't used to believe it,but Australia does stand for a fair go,for it's citizens and the country.Britain's Politicians has no time for it's citizens or the Country,here you are a number,part of the EU,Britain has lost it's soveriegnty.The System is corupt from top to bottom.In Australia,there is no class structure.It's rife in the UK.My bank manager at the Commenwealth BanK where i used to go at Gatton Queensland,had his door open,anytime you needed to see him,on a first name basis.Here bank managers,think they are gods,As do anyone in authority,doctors in Australia,have a friendly caring attitude,again always on a first name basis.Not what i have met in the UK.Britain is tied up in a knot, with so many rules and regulations,It's obsessed with money laundering,the security questions you have to go through,just to change your address,is pathetic.My friends keep telling me,i'll get used to the system,it will take time.It is so easy living in Australia.It realy is the lucky country.My fault i put my hands up.I lived in Australia too long,27 years.To Come back to the UK is like another planet.Only the beautiful countryside, has so far not been destroyed by British Politicians.The enemy within.The Tories got Britain into the EU,and they will never get us out.+Labour wants to stay in.The EU is a catistrophic disaster.Since the Tories took office they have lost control of how many EU migrants they have let in since taking office in 2010 + they have trippled Britains debt.to £1.6 trillion..In 2013 they admitted They issued 618,000 new NI numbers for that year alone, the Tories say Britains recovery is the best in the world.And we need immigrants.The Tories are totaly incompetent. "

Well I can assure you that lamb and beef are a helluva lot cheaper here than where you live Zac. I don't eat meat so the cost of it doesn't matter much but my husband does and he pays a fraction of what you are paying at our local butcher. Our council rates for the year, which we have just paid were $1,555. That is cheaper than what we paid last year - don't know why. I do absolutely agree with you about the stupid house prices in the cities on the mainland - especially Sydney and Melbourne.

Our council rates in Surrey for our small 1930s semi-detached home was £1,920 so well over $4000 in the "cheap" UK.

Archived