What's a liveable wage in Southeast UK?

Rainman

Here is another UK slagging post from Zack.

"We moved back 5 months ago after 27 years in Aus.What a disaster from the go.Can't wait to get back to reality and peopl;e in authority that treat you as a fellow humane.Perpetual darkness; rain,bitter cold,and it's been a mild winter.The whole system sucks,Age discrimination is rife.Car insurance,utillity bills,council tax, ALL GANGSTERS,Wanting Huge sums of money.It's a up hill battle,nobody cares.Theres no light at the end of a big dark tunnel.Rules and regulations,security questions,drives you potty.Checking who you are,the credit system.The banks are run by the Mafia.My god it's a nightmare".

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My council tax for a small 3 bed terrace in the mendips is £1250 a year so at current exchange $2500ish, my gas and electricity is about £100 a month and when we was in Australia in jan we shopped in aldi the same as we do here and kept the receipts, overall it was much of a muchness, meat was more expensive but other things were much much cheaper. Found out after a bit that it's probably cheaper if you go to the butchers and fruit and veg shops to get meat and veg. In coomera Gold Coast we actually viewed a new build house with 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, and en-suit shower I could play football in a walk in wardrobe bigger than my bedroom a cinema room a living room, a rumpuss room and a huge kitchen living area which we were expecting to me the best part of £1million it was that big and impressive and it was $700.. If you bought that house near London you'd pay £3/4million and probably easily £1mmim the UK anywhere else

Sounds to me like zack may have other issues than the country he lives in

38k is far far above the average national wage. you could live like a king on that money.

Absolute rubbish ....£38k with 4 children in the south east of England ....with all the rent and commuting costs .....you obviously haven't got children PB....

If someone asked me ...to live comfortably £100k ...remember you have to get taxed on that ....food ...kids clothes etc

I grossed $82.000 in the last tax year.

I went back in June for a visit and it did shock me how expensive things had become. I was doing the usual cost comparisons and allowing for the exchange rate, everything seemed to be about the same price as here, if not more expensive. We manage fairly well on my wage in Brisbane and although money is definitely becoming tighter, we never use more than I'm paid.

I don't think they'd offer me any more unfortunately, all I can hope for is I get more overtime. I thought earning around 33 grand might be doable but obviously not. How do people make ends meet over there?

Stay where you are Rainman - your Ozzie salary is better than the UK package on offer...

3 bed dormer bungalow - 2 bed & a box room really ,up north ( supposedly cheap)- council tax, - £1500 ( $3100 ish). Rent £695 ($1400 ish) . Comparable properties price wise are much more impressive in Tassie at least ( haven't looked elsewhere).

Ah, you're lucky you've chosen Tassie! House prices in Sydney are roughly double what they are in Hobart. Since we're not enjoying our return to the UK as much as we thought, I often think wistfully of that 3-bedroom house we nearly bought in Hobart - spectacular never-to-be-built-out views of Mt Wellington and the sea, 10 minutes drive to the centre of town, and all for $500,000. That kind of house would cost well over a million in Sydney.

Ah, you're lucky you've chosen Tassie! House prices in Sydney are roughly double what they are in Hobart. Since we're not enjoying our return to the UK as much as we thought, I often think wistfully of that 3-bedroom house we nearly bought in Hobart - spectacular never-to-be-built-out views of Mt Wellington and the sea, 10 minutes drive to the centre of town, and all for $500,000. That kind of house would cost well over a million in Sydney.

Hobart vs Southampton is a no brainer! It's not too late is it?

Hobart vs Southampton is a no brainer! It's not too late is it?

It's not THAT much of a no-brainer actually! We're real city folk and although we liked many things about Tassie, Hobart is a bit quiet - and parts of it are just as overrun with bogans as Southampton (only in Tassie they're wearing flannel shirts). Did you know, HALF of all adults in Tasmania are illiterate?

It's not THAT much of a no-brainer actually! We're real city folk and although we liked many things about Tassie, Hobart is a bit quiet - and parts of it are just as overrun with bogans as Southampton (only in Tassie they're wearing flannel shirts). Did you know, HALF of all adults in Tasmania are illiterate?

If you want middle class utopia darling, one has to pay to live apart from the scum!

If you want middle class utopia darling, one has to pay to live apart from the scum!

LOL, to be honest I think I was living in a middle class utopia in Sydney for all those years without realising it! Seriously, though, I'm not being a snob - I just prefer to live in an area where I can relate to the people around me. That doesn't mean they have to be middle class - my oh's family are all working class but there's a world of difference between them and a swearing, chip-on-the-shoulder, sense-of-entitlement bogan.

................ and you want to live here when you return?

We found that Tasmania is a bit hard to cope with long term if you are used to big cities in the proximity. Lovely country,lovely people but I needed a shopping fix after a few months living there. I know you can fly up to Melbourne but not the same as being able to trawl round the shops locally.

Me ................. I am definitely not a city person - very happy away from the crowds and shops. As we keep reading on various threads here - everybody is different. Mind you, I will be going up to Sydney later in the year to catch up with friends.

................ and you want to live here when you return?
@JockinTas, I don't see that we have much option. We don't have the capital to live in Sydney, and my oh has his sun allergy which means we need to be as far south as possible. It wouldn't be my first choice but short of divorcing him and finding a rich husband, I feel it's the best choice we have.

If we don't come back to Australia we won't be able to claim the Australian age pension - which we won't need immediately on retirement, but I can see that it will be a important safety net if we live to a ripe old age. There's also the tax which we'll have to pay on our super to consider.

@JockinTas, I don't see that we have much option. We don't have the capital to live in Sydney, and my oh has his sun allergy which means we need to be as far south as possible. It wouldn't be my first choice but short of divorcing him and finding a rich husband, I feel it's the best choice we have.

If we don't come back to Australia we won't be able to claim the Australian age pension - which we won't need immediately on retirement, but I can see that it will be a important safety net if we live to a ripe old age. There's also the tax which we'll have to pay on our super to consider.

I see. I think you will enjoy Hobart though. I do know what you mean about bogans - got our fair share of them here too.

I'm not with you on that one Marisa? How can you claim the age pension if you have an income stream from Super? Unless that super is below the age pension level in which case you would get a part pension.

I only get a part pension because I am in receipt of the basic UK pension. The annoying thing with that is that they deem the UK pension as income and although they top you up to the Australian pension level, a "part pension" means that you only get a "part rebate" on your rates etc instead of the full rebate. So although you are at the same income level as someone in receipt of a full Australian pension, your allowable reductions on bills such as rates and leccy etc, is only half that which a full pension recipient gets.

Archived