What's a liveable wage in Southeast UK?

Rainman

Hi,

I've been offered a job back at my old work in London. My question is, what is considered a decent, liveable wage in the southeast? The basic salary that has been offered to me is 33,500GBP p.a and with overtime I could possibly be earning at least 38,000GBP Gross.

We'd be looking at living outside of the M25 in the Home Counties somewhere, renting a 3 bedroom house for around 800-900GBP per month. I realise there are a lot of other variables but to get an idea, would this be enough for a family of 4 (kids age, 14 and 18) to live on, without life being a huge struggle?

Thanks,

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grossed $82.000 in the last tax year.

I went back in June for a visit and it did shock me how expensive things had become. I was doing the usual cost comparisons and allowing for the exchange rate, everything seemed to be about the same price as here, if not more expensive. We manage fairly well on my wage in Brisbane and although money is definitely becoming tighter, we never use more than I'm paid.

I don't think they'd offer me any more unfortunately, all I can hope for is I get more overtime. I thought earning around 33 grand might be doable but obviously not. How do people make ends meet over there?

I went back in June for a visit and it did shock me how expensive things had become. I was doing the usual cost comparisons and allowing for the exchange rate, everything seemed to be about the same price as here, if not more expensive. We manage fairly well on my wage in Brisbane and although money is definitely becoming tighter, we never use more than I'm paid.

I don't think they'd offer me any more unfortunately, all I can hope for is I get more overtime. I thought earning around 33 grand might be doable but obviously not. How do people make ends meet over there?

Yeah I would say 80k is worth more in Brisbane than Mid 30's in SE UK. Worth looking at commuting costs, I assume you would be going by train? Prob cost about 2-3k a year season pass at least. Add in your 10k a year rent. Already spent half take home, just for the house and the commute no other bills included.

I'd be driving to work which is outside of the Congestion charge area and there'd be no parking fees so the commuting costs would be cheaper than going by train, I assume. But you're right, I don't think there'd be much left, if anything after all the monthly bills are taken out.

At the end of the day we have to ask ourselves why we're going back and are those reasons enough to take a hit in the pocket. The way I feel right now, I'd say yes but I'd be interested to hear the opinion from someone who also thought that and have made the move. Was it worth it?

Very true and not everything should be based on money. Personally I think you are probably better off money wise here but then if you aren't happy here that isn't a lot of good.

I'm only talking as someone who lives in Brisbane and has worked in London and visited recently (expensive).

It certainly an easier way of life here, not just Brisbane but Australia in general but is that always a reason to do nothing? We could just stay here and enjoy the good weather and the laid back lifestyle but after 13 years we're over the hot summers anyway. Plus I hate seeing my family looking older each time I go back and only sharing a few weeks every 3 years with them.

I'm 50 next year and I feel if I don't grab this opportunity to transfer back into my old job then I may not have another chance to get a job over there willing to pay me what they're offering now. Seems I've already talked myself into accepting their offer!

I think if you can run a family of four on $82,000 then you would be well placed to run a family of four on £38,000. I would also say the $82k would go further in Brisbane than the £38k in SE, but it is not night and day.

If it is what you what to do though, well it is a start isn't it, a soft landing back if you have a job to go to and who says you cannot improve upon salary in the future. Also perhaps the other parent can work if necessary?

I thought your rent figure looked quite light, my house is in London commuter belt, also three beds and rented for a lot more than that when we were in Australia. I have never been sure where the Home Counties are though so perhaps that is a location thing.

If it is what you what to do though, well it is a start isn't it, a soft landing back if you have a job to go to and who says you cannot improve upon salary in the future. Also perhaps the other parent can work if necessary?

I am fortunate to be in the position where I would be effectively picking up where I left off, considering that was 13 years ago - one of the benefits of working for a multi national company. There is the potential for more overtime and hopefully my wife will get a job as well (could even take in a lodger if we had to). I just wanted to be confident that we could survive on one wage if we needed to.

As far as I've always thought, the Home Counties surround London, I may be wrong. I think you're right about being a bit low on the rent for a 3 bedroom house, I should figure in a higher rent. We'll be looking on Rightmove over the weekend to get an idea. We are weighing up where to live at the moment but as I will be working in West London, I want to be somewhere along the M3, plus we have family in Dorset that I want to be in easy reach of. I suppose I'll have to increase my commute distance to achieve an affordable rent.

We'd like to sell our house in Brisbane but with the exchange rate as it is I think I'd rather keep it and rent it out until a time (if it happens) where the exchange rate turns around.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, thanks.

I am fortunate to be in the position where I would be effectively picking up where I left off, considering that was 13 years ago - one of the benefits of working for a multi national company. There is the potential for more overtime and hopefully my wife will get a job as well (could even take in a lodger if we had to). I just wanted to be confident that we could survive on one wage if we needed to. As far as I've always thought, the Home Counties surround London, I may be wrong. I think you're right about being a bit low on the rent for a 3 bedroom house, I should figure in a higher rent. We'll be looking on Rightmove over the weekend to get an idea. We are weighing up where to live at the moment but as I will be working in West London, I want to be somewhere along the M3, plus we have family in Dorset that I want to be in easy reach of. I suppose I'll have to increase my commute distance to achieve an affordable rent. We'd like to sell our house in Brisbane but with the exchange rate as it is I think I'd rather keep it and rent it out until a time (if it happens) where the exchange rate turns around.I appreciate everyone's thoughts, thanks.
Ok well we are in a county surrounding London, definitely commuter belt and the rental was more like £1,200 to £1,400 per month.Just on FX rate, I think it will be a very long time before you see anything much more favourable. It is the strong dollar of recent years that was the anomoly, the rates we see today are the long term norm for Aussie dollar. I think maybe you should bite the bullet as buying would I am sure be more economical than renting.

Ok well we are in a county surrounding London, definitely commuter belt and the rental was more like £1,200 to £1,400 per month.Just on FX rate, I think it will be a very long time before you see anything much more favourable. It is the strong dollar of recent years that was the anomoly, the rates we see today are the long term norm for Aussie dollar. I think maybe you should bite the bullet as buying would I am sure be more economical than renting.

You are right of course. Looks like we'll be getting a lodger, lol. I'll be regretting not doing this in 2012/13 when we should have, for many years to come.

Ah well, it's all part of life's rich tapestry. Although I always seem to get the frayed bits!:smile:

Is there not a chance of moving back to a different area ? Not a million miles from family but just further out where it won't be so expensive ?

Hi,

I've been offered a job back at my old work in London. My question is, what is considered a decent, liveable wage in the southeast? The basic salary that has been offered to me is 33,500GBP p.a and with overtime I could possibly be earning at least 38,000GBP Gross.

We'd be looking at living outside of the M25 in the Home Counties somewhere, renting a 3 bedroom house for around 800-900GBP per month. I realise there are a lot of other variables but to get an idea, would this be enough for a family of 4 (kids age, 14 and 18) to live on, without life being a huge struggle?

Thanks,

Where abouts in London?

Would Biggin hill or chessington be okay? They are a bit cheaper than some areas.

Hi,

Thanks,

We left the commuter belt south west of London this week. In all honesty this is a solid wage but you should expect to really struggle. You would take home little more than £2000pm after tax and NIC. I see you are contemplating driving the M3 into London each day. Good luck with that but you may have to factor in at least 3-4 hours in the car each day on top of your overtime.

You would do well to find a house to rent for less than £1200pm in reaonable travel distance that you would like to live in so with utility bills and fuel you could be left with little more than £100pw for a family of 4....ouch. Not sure whether you qualify for any child tax credits at first either.

Is the oldest planning on working or going to university as that would make a huge difference (especially with intrnational fees). At 50 you also need to be making provsion for retirement or you will simply be working and paying rent to the day that you die?

I am fortunate to be in the position where I would be effectively picking up where I left off, considering that was 13 years ago - one of the benefits of working for a multi national company. There is the potential for more overtime and hopefully my wife will get a job as well (could even take in a lodger if we had to). I just wanted to be confident that we could survive on one wage if we needed to.

As far as I've always thought, the Home Counties surround London, I may be wrong. I think you're right about being a bit low on the rent for a 3 bedroom house, I should figure in a higher rent. We'll be looking on Rightmove over the weekend to get an idea. We are weighing up where to live at the moment but as I will be working in West London, I want to be somewhere along the M3, plus we have family in Dorset that I want to be in easy reach of. I suppose I'll have to increase my commute distance to achieve an affordable rent.

We'd like to sell our house in Brisbane but with the exchange rate as it is I think I'd rather keep it and rent it out until a time (if it happens) where the exchange rate turns around.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, thanks.

I dont know london prices but I live in dorset (Bournemouth/Poole) area and the property market is amazingly high now if you want to buy there isnt much here thats under £250,000 in fact your looking at nearer £500,000 and up for anywhere decent.... some of my work mates rent just a single room in a shared flat in Bournemouth and that costs them around £650 a month each....

Also dont forget that most rentals here you still have to pay all bills...gas electric water rates etc...and council tax which can be high depending what band your in we also have to pay for the recycle binmen to come too oh and dont forget TV licence too.... If your driving cost of petrol is a lot more than in Aussie from what I understand.... and train fares are sooooo much more than the were 10 years ago.... I use to travel Bournemouth to Southampton for nights out and my ticket would cost £7 for a day return now a days it double that at £14.40 .....

Make sure you way up all the pros and cons for each country before you really make your decision. Each has their own good and bad points you just gotta decide which will be best. Good luck in which ever you decide ....

so people who live in the south east who earn under 38k and have a great life are kidding themselves.

People who live in the South east that earn under that live with someone else or parents lol.

The cost of living here has gone crazy, I lived on the outskirts of Bristol about 10 miles away, I was there for 2 years and our rent was £750 pm for a 3 bed terrace. Our landlady sold out house and we had to move another 10 miles out because rent for a similarly sized house had gone up from £750 to £1200 pm in 2 years

so people who live in the south east who earn under 38k and have a great life are kidding themselves.

Try the maths.

Take home, say £2,200pm.

less rent £1200

council tax £170

gas/elec/water £150

petrol/insurance/servicing/road tax for one car £300

left with around £500pm which would be barely enough to feed 4 'adult mouths. The other 3 have got no transport, no provision for retirement. No provision for all the usual one-off costs or loan repayments for the car. I suggest that the food banks might be an option unless either the partner and/or the eldest can contribute with a wage also.

It certainly an easier way of life here, not just Brisbane but Australia in general but is that always a reason to do nothing? We could just stay here and enjoy the good weather and the laid back lifestyle but after 13 years we're over the hot summers anyway. Plus I hate seeing my family looking older each time I go back and only sharing a few weeks every 3 years with them.

I'm 50 next year and I feel if I don't grab this opportunity to transfer back into my old job then I may not have another chance to get a job over there willing to pay me what they're offering now. Seems I've already talked myself into accepting their offer!

I would only counsel that you really do your research on rentals and commute times, renting GOOD property is expensive and you be amazed at how busy the SE is after Brisbane.

I don't see this being a good move on this salary.

Your rent estimations are far too low for Surrey/Hampshire in a decent area. Your OH would need to work.

As hard as it may be, I would stay put or negotiate a better offer.

Archived