house prices south reast uk

KIRK AND CO

I am selling a one bed flat and I am totally shocked people are fighting over it offers are now exceeding 10% over asking price and the estate agent is telling me to let all potential buyers to go through as they think offers will go through roof. I have checked what is out there and there is nothing people are desperate as they only see property going higher in the south.

I am selling a one bed flat and I am totally shocked people are fighting over it offers are now exceeding 10% over asking price and the estate agent is telling me to let all potential buyers to go through as they think offers will go through roof. I have checked what is out there and there is nothing people are desperate as they only see property going higher in the south.

I am pleased for your good fortune. It's a pity it is coming too late for your visas still to be valid.

I watched a Ross Kemp program last night about extreme deprivation and poverty in south East coastal towns, Clacton, Margate and this place that was designed as holiday pre-fab homes in the 20s...now housing a sub culture of Brits. Desperate times there. Bedsit land they called Clacton. Lots of housing where they can turn into multi occupancy homes for tenants who they don't want in other areas or where council lists are too long. Sad times. I guess extreme deprivation exists in all 1st world countries. It's appalling in 2015.

Same in my old neck of the woods too. Areas even micro areas within those areas seem to fluctuate massively . Same as here really.

It sure is:wink:

was mega surprised to see how quickly houses were selling back where we used to live. Nothing better or worse about the area than when we left....except the old skanky comprehensive school that my daughters went to is now one of them Academy of excellence or something like that!!

Best school for miles around now. The lady that is renting our house, has rented hers out, just to move into ours because its in the catchment area:wacko:

Hopefully this new super school will go from strength to strength and all will be good if/when we want to sell.

Amazing what people will pay/jump thru to get into a good school for their little darlings:confused:.

I assume this flat is an investment property?? And not what your living in due to moving to Aus being such a financial risk:confused:

It sure is:wink:

was mega surprised to see how quickly houses were selling back where we used to live. Nothing better or worse about the area than when we left....except the old skanky comprehensive school that my daughters went to is now one of them Academy of excellence or something like that!!

Best school for miles around now. The lady that is renting our house, has rented hers out, just to move into ours because its in the catchment area:wacko:

Hopefully this new super school will go from strength to strength and all will be good if/when we want to sell.

Amazing what people will pay/jump thru to get into a good school for their little darlings:confused:.

True Fifi.

Not everyone will send their kids to a skanky comprehensive.

Do you not think a good education is worth paying for ?

True Fifi.

paying over the odds for a house, because its in a good schools catchment area?? No!!

Schools can go up or downhill v quickly. Ie the school I'm talking about, its still the same teachers that were there 3 years ago when my daughters were there, some of them were good, some were more than useless.

It was a dive of a school at the time, a good teacher can make all the difference, but the importance of learning was learnt in the home.

we as parents always tried to set a good example, teaching learning means more than just studying.

Travel, empathy, social awareness, respect, to name but a few. Something's maybe a teacher, no matter how good they are, has time to teach.

You're probably in a minority.

The suburbs going crazy here are because they are in the catchment areas for the best public schools.

Many parents are desperate to buy into these suburbs to get the best public school education for their kids.

In all likelihood these top public schools are as good as paving private school fees.

You're probably in a minority.

The suburbs going crazy here are because they are in the catchment areas for the best public schools.

Many parents are desperate to buy into these suburbs to get the best public school education for their kids.

In all likelihood these top public schools are as good as paving private school fees.

im on about the UK....private schools there only attainable to the top earners.

your right though, think its a bigger thing in Aus, getting into a good school.

everyone wants to be near a good school!!

Still think the seed is sown by the parents!!

True Fifi.

An education depends on the kids. Me and my Sister and most of my friends went to the skankiest Comprehensive you could imagine. In fact I had no intention of trying to pass my eleven plus as the other option was a "posh" school where you had to wear a uniform and do loads of homework. The skanky comprehensive was also good for sport and always had the best soccer, cricket, cross country teams.

Still came out with a few O levels and good marks in CSE. Might have been a late starter or something but I still ended up with a good apprenticeship and a degree later on in life. My Sister and most of my mates did fine too. Best thing was I enjoyed school.

My house is in the South East, definitely easy London commuter belt and it would be worth a bit more more than we paid for it in 2008, but only because of substantial home improvements we made. If I factor in the cost of those, then definitely worth less than in 2008.

My house is in the South East, definitely easy London commuter belt and it would be worth a bit more more than we paid for it in 2008, but only because of substantial home improvements we made. If I factor in the cost of those, then definitely worth less than in 2008.
2008 was about the worst time to buy not your fault just timeing. I brought 2011 to 2012 when they had hit rock bottom so again timing.

im on about the UK....private schools there only attainable to the top earners.

your right though, think its a bigger thing in Aus, getting into a good school.

everyone wants to be near a good school!!

Still think the seed is sown by the parents!!

Not really - I know many private schooled people in the UK whose parents are far from top earners. You can get a very good private school without boarding for about 6k a year. Then, many offer large bursaries to students from less well off families - for example, Eton offers a huge amount of fully funded places - including all boarding

Sadly people are having to fight the BTL brigade and one bedroom flats are a nice little earner for some, even though this process keeps first time buyers from buying a home of their own. Glad I'm not starting out on the housing ladder. It's carnage. Interestingly I note in my local town (Lewes) a lot of desirable, but ridiculously overpriced properties are failing to shift - the down from Londoners must have given up and locals getting tired of people taking the mick. Maybe they think $650K for a 3 bed semi's a bit much? Worse in Brighton. Nothing good about rising house prices. Sooner interest rates go up the better as far as I'm concerned...

yes investment we have another 2 but we want to sell this one and use the profit and buy a holiday home in Spain.

So many of my UK friends have a holiday pad in Spain, its a nice option. You don't even need to fly, its a nice drive:cool:

so do I but want something cheap on flights and able to go for weekends.

Spain for the weekend? Would be way too much trouble just to get to the airport and back. We used to have a timeshare in the Algarve. It was in a fantastic development, right on the beach. We had a nice apartment for one week at the end of June. We used to go in the apartment for a week and then find something dirt cheap and stay another 2 weeks or so. That's the way to go Kirk.

Spain for the weekend? Would be way too much trouble just to get to the airport and back. We used to have a timeshare in the Algarve. It was in a fantastic development, right on the beach. We had a nice apartment for one week at the end of June. We used to go in the apartment for a week and then find something dirt cheap and stay another 2 weeks or so. That's the way to go Kirk.
Thanks Paul