Where to sit?

misskayleigh

I can guarantee that little sh*t will be sat behind my OH, every flight we've ever been on :laugh: standing joke now.

You me both! and why is it as a little grey haired old granny do I get frisked almost every time I fly, be it domestic several times a year or regular long haul. Assured it's random!!??? but on many an occasion out of Heathrow there were definitely more suspicios looking passengers than me being ignored!

You me both! and why is it as a little grey haired old granny do I get frisked almost every time I fly, be it domestic several times a year or regular long haul. Assured it's random!!??? but on many an occasion out of Heathrow there were definitely more suspicios looking passengers than me being ignored!

Me too every time domestic or international, drug swabbed too! I laughed out loud when OH got pulled over in Perth on our way out in October until the women next to him pulled me over. Perhaps I just look high or something :laugh:

This was melbourne, for one of the first times a 380 had ever landed here.

Hopefully they have sorted it out since. But im not holding my breath.

Another reason not to live in Melbourne then:wink:

In Brisbane its the queue and delay once you have collected your bags, trying to get through customs when a few planes have arrived at the same time.....Quickest way is to declare something, which we usually have to do, that way you usually get past having your bags x rayed.

I can guarantee that little sh*t will be sat behind my OH, every flight we've ever been on :laugh: standing joke now.

There was a little sh*t sat right behind me who screamed like a stuck pig for two hours. I did feel sorry for the parents though. Her two brothers sat beside me and were as good as gold. Even they said their little sister was very spoilt and threw tantrums all the time at home.

Anywhere that's maximum distance from screaming and vomiting infants is a good choice, especially when you're on the plane for 17 hours. (Recent experience!)

I usually pick equal distance between the bulk-heads, as they put the cots for babies next to those, but there's no planning against where the random small brats might end up. I always travel with earplugs. The headphones on Etihad when I flew on a 380 recently were surprisingly good and blocked out a lot of noise, but travelling with your own and an adapter to plug into the daft double-mono connectors can be useful.

I always book a window-seat because I find it better for sleeping.

Anywhere that's maximum distance from screaming and vomiting infants is a good choice, especially when you're on the plane for 17 hours. (Recent experience!)

I usually pick equal distance between the bulk-heads, as they put the cots for babies next to those, but there's no planning against where the random small brats might end up. I always travel with earplugs. The headphones on Etihad when I flew on a 380 recently were surprisingly good and blocked out a lot of noise, but travelling with your own and an adapter to plug into the daft double-mono connectors can be useful.

I always book a window-seat because I find it better for sleeping.

A recent addition to our travels are the 'noise cancelling' head phones, over the ears rather than on the ears types are our preference as they are a lot more comfortable over long periods, they do cut out a lot of the aircraft noise, so good for sleeping too, but never had need to test them from screaming kids yet. However I have more sympathy for the parents, and just think back that we were once that screaming kid too and accept it as part of lifes cycle.

I always look at the entrance / exit and go for a couple of rows down. That means you can get off earlier - so into the queue for immigration before it gets too bad. I also go for an isle seat as you can stretch legs down the edge of the isle.

I drink a lot of water on flights, so an isle seat is a must. I take an empty water bottle and fill it on the plane.

A recent addition to our travels are the 'noise cancelling' head phones, over the ears rather than on the ears types are our preference as they are a lot more comfortable over long periods, they do cut out a lot of the aircraft noise, so good for sleeping too, but never had need to test them from screaming kids yet. However I have more sympathy for the parents, and just think back that we were once that screaming kid too and accept it as part of lifes cycle.

Wonderful invention!

Keith and Linda, last year it was with Qatar (our reccie) and this time now Etihad - which takes us 1 way on 13th Aug :jiggy:

Have never flown with them so cannot really comment on if it is a regular thing or not, but these sort of things do happen with all airlines to a greater or lesser degree.

Well enjoy your trip and hope things work out for you here in Aus.

You might find not all seats are opened up for you, even if you do book early, some may be held back for frequent flyers or different ticket types. Upstairs economy seats are in a quieter part of the cabin but you won't have any more personal space in your seat, the quiet cabin is preferable though. If it is a quiet flight, you can get up and move to a near empty row anyway, but to be honest, I don't think these flights tend to have a lot of empty seats.

Ah ok I didn't know they hold some back, thanks :)

I just know it'll be on my first long haul that I'll get the kicking and screaming child, the snorer and the person that smells like wet dog surrounding me :laugh: hahaha

You've hit the nail on the head. Whilst there may be incremental differen between individual seats, the biggest differences are introduced by the fellow passengers in close proximity. You can't control that and it's a lottery - so by all means have a lookk at Seat Guru and make a selection of an aisle rather than a middle or a window, but don't invest too much emotion in the process.

Ah ok I didn't know they hold some back, thanks :)

I have only noticed this when booking through a travel agent, when booking direct with the airline in my experience you seem to have a free choice, when booking on line you see a seating plan of all seats taken and available never noticed any significantly blocked areas (when booking early) and generally have had choice of front middle or rear area's, but then I have not flown and / or booked with all airlines.

when booking direct with the airline in my experience you seem to have a free choice, when booking on line you see a seating plan of all seats taken and available never noticed any significantly blocked areas

With some airlines - e.g. Virgin Australia and Air New Zealand, blocks of seats at the front of the plane are reserved for their frequent flyers with high status. Typically, these seats free up once check in opens.

You've hit the nail on the head. Whilst there may be incremental differen between individual seats, the biggest differences are introduced by the fellow passengers in close proximity. You can't control that and it's a lottery - so by all means have a lookk at Seat Guru and make a selection of an aisle rather than a middle or a window, but don't invest too much emotion in the process.

Yeah exactly haha :). I'm really not overly fussed,just thought it was worth an ask incase there were any tricks of the trade :-)

Archived