Where to sit?

misskayleigh

Hi guys,

I'm looking to fly out at the end of January and will be booking by the end of July.

As I'm booking quite early i might get a good choice of seats. I'm looking to fly Singapore Airlines on a A380.

A lot of people rave about the the upper deck economy as it has less seats, more room and so on. I've also heard that if it is a quite flight if you book downstairs at the back of the plane you have more chance of having a row to yourself or no one sitting next to you as the allocate from the front for unallocated seats.

I know it's a lot of ifs and buts, but I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for picking your seats :-)

Thanks.

OK you can go on the web site called 'Seat Guru' to get details of all the airlines and their planes and the seating with good and bad seats comments, you will have to have this handy when booking so you know what they are giving you or what you need to request.

Not all Singapore A380 have the economy upstairs, from memory, one flight out of Heathrow is and another is not so you will need to check which one is which, we have changed our flights accordingly in the past. If you book direct with the airline you can book seats at time of booking generally not so through an agent.

Up stairs is a 2-4-2 layout with cupboard space at the window thus giving more elbow room, also as the upstairs is only some 60 seats the whole is quieter along with quicker and maybe better service.

Emirates have no economy up stairs, Malaysian all are configured with economy upstairs. Also note you may have to pay extra for these seats but this is not consistant in how it is applied.

Sitting downstairs at the back in the hope of row to self is risky and would be more down to luck, rear of planes are generally a more bumpy ride than front and over wings and more engine noise, hence 1st and business are always forward.

Happy flying

Hi guys,

I'm looking to fly out at the end of January and will be booking by the end of July.

As I'm booking quite early i might get a good choice of seats. I'm looking to fly Singapore Airlines on a A380.

A lot of people rave about the the upper deck economy as it has less seats, more room and so on. I've also heard that if it is a quite flight if you book downstairs at the back of the plane you have more chance of having a row to yourself or no one sitting next to you as the allocate from the front for unallocated seats.

I know it's a lot of ifs and buts, but I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for picking your seats :-)

Thanks.

You might find not all seats are opened up for you, even if you do book early, some may be held back for frequent flyers or different ticket types. Upstairs economy seats are in a quieter part of the cabin but you won't have any more personal space in your seat, the quiet cabin is preferable though. If it is a quiet flight, you can get up and move to a near empty row anyway, but to be honest, I don't think these flights tend to have a lot of empty seats.

You might find not all seats are opened up for you, even if you do book early, some may be held back for frequent flyers or different ticket types. Upstairs economy seats are in a quieter part of the cabin but you won't have any more personal space in your seat, the quiet cabin is preferable though. If it is a quiet flight, you can get up and move to a near empty row anyway, but to be honest, I don't think these flights tend to have a lot of empty seats.

Ok so the seats are the same pitch / width but your personal space at the window seats upstairs is way greater, as you have the storage cupboard at the window which not only takes all the clutter from around your seats but gives and extra 8 inches of elbow and shoulder room from the side of the plane.

We sat upstairs both times I've been on the A380, I struggle sitting still so like to get up and walk, with Singapore I was able to walk up and down the stairs, but with Qatar they'd blocked the stairs off so could'nt use them :mad:

Yep the stairs are good exercise but each flight has varied for us on this point sometime can sometimes can not, sometimes if you ask and sometimes not, but yes, not a long isle to walk down when sitting up stairs, but the toilets are more readily available and stay cleaner.

One thing that you have to consider is that you may not fly out on the plane that was stipulated at time of booking. Twice now we have booked seats on an A380 and both times plane was downgraded. I'm assuming this is because of not enough passengers!!

We were downstairs and it was fine.

The issue i had with the 380 was that it was treated as a single plane (obviously), which meant all the bags came onto one carousel. Thus there were double the amount of bags and double the amount of people trying to get to a single spot to pick up their bags. Mayhem.

It took over an hour longer than normal to get out.

I intend looking for a 787 instead of the 380 next time.

I agree about booking early not guaranteeing the best seat. We had that experience with our flight in May - tried to book seats in March and half of them hadn't even been released yet.

The main thing for me is to have an aisle seat. There's not much to see on an overnight flight so the window seat has no advantage, and you have to climb over your neighbour every time you want to go to the loo or have a walk.

I also prefer to book in the middle section, not on the sides. They seem less popular and there's more chance of a spare seat.

Having said that, don't get your hopes up for a free seat. These days, airlines overbook so much that spare seats are rare. I remember flying twenty years ago and always being able to find a free row to sleep on. Over the last ten years, every plane I've been on has been packed.

Edited by Marisawright

I was going to start this thread a while ago so you saved me the trouble lol. I need one where im on the outside seat, I get claustrophobic and a bit stressed if I have to ask people to move if I want out to the toilet

If you get an outside seat get one in the middle section

Then if you're asleep they can use the other aisle to get out of

One thing that you have to consider is that you may not fly out on the plane that was stipulated at time of booking. Twice now we have booked seats on an A380 and both times plane was downgraded. I'm assuming this is because of not enough passengers!!

What airline was that? it happened to us once with Singapore, still an A380 but different configuration, they did not even tell us we only found out when web checking in and they had us seated separate downstairs.

We were downstairs and it was fine.

The issue i had with the 380 was that it was treated as a single plane (obviously), which meant all the bags came onto one carousel. Thus there were double the amount of bags and double the amount of people trying to get to a single spot to pick up their bags. Mayhem.

It took over an hour longer than normal to get out.

I intend looking for a 787 instead of the 380 next time.

We have never experienced that problem on any A380 flight to date, must admit though we have only had to collect bags at Heathrow so far, the other way was for connecting flights.

We have never experienced that problem on any A380 flight to date, must admit though we have only had to collect bags at Heathrow so far, the other way was for connecting flights.

This was melbourne, for one of the first times a 380 had ever landed here.

Hopefully they have sorted it out since. But im not holding my breath.