Dual citizenship

Diane

Do you have dual citizenship?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have dual citizenship?

• Yes, I have dual citizenship
    • I will become a dual citizen when I can become and Australian citizen
    • I have renounced/will renounce my other citizenship when I take Australian citizenship
    • I am and will remain a citizen of one country only - whether Australian or other

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have given consideration to securing Australian citizenship but elected not to as it felt dishonest in my case. I certainly wouldn't criticise anyone who took it out even if just for 'insurance' purposes. My partner and daughter are dual nationals though.

Nothing wrong with a bit of dishonesty now and again:wink:

And thats why you need it.

I can't foresee a situation in the future where I'd ever need it to be honest. If my daughter elects to live here when she's an adult then I'd certainly visit for holidays but I don't imagine that I'd ever want to live here again after returning to the UK.

I can't foresee a situation in the future where I'd ever need it to be honest. If my daughter elects to live here when she's an adult then I'd certainly visit for holidays but I don't imagine that I'd ever want to live here again after returning to the UK.

I appreciate that as far as you know at the moment, when and if you return to UK you have no intention of living here again, but life doesn't always go according to plan.

If anyone had told me when I was 40 that I would end up retired in Oz, I would have laughed, as completely unlikely, but here I am.

I know quite a few in my age group, who have sadly lost their partners and their children and grandchildren are in Oz, and have no one left in UK, which happens when you are older, but can't afford the visa to live here. Plus find the long flight harder as they get older. Obviously not everyone is unhappy in that situation, but I only suggest you consider that possible scenario, as you could have citizenship, and cover that eventuality, however unlikely it might seem now.

I appreciate that as far as you know at the moment, when and if you return to UK you have no intention of living here again, but life doesn't always go according to plan.

If anyone had told me when I was 40 that I would end up retired in Oz, I would have laughed, as completely unlikely, but here I am.

I know quite a few in my age group, who have sadly lost their partners and their children and grandchildren are in Oz, and have no one left in UK, which happens when you are older, but can't afford the visa to live here. Plus find the long flight harder as they get older. Obviously not everyone is unhappy in that situation, but I only suggest you consider that possible scenario, as you could have citizenship, and cover that eventuality, however unlikely it might seem now.

EW can see the benefits.

But im guessing hes a Yorkshire man.

Stubborn.

Not to get citizenship because you don't want to give up a Saturday to a ceremony is possibly the craziest thing I've read on this website!

I presume you are having a laugh EW, but not to get it when your daughter is a citizen has the potential to cause you many many regrets in the future. You might think that a low probability now, but even if it is a 500/1 shot surely it is worth taking a bit of time out to do it?

I have given consideration to securing Australian citizenship but elected not to as it felt dishonest in my case. I certainly wouldn't criticise anyone who took it out even if just for 'insurance' purposes. My partner and daughter are dual nationals though.

We've discussed this before. I have a very strong suspicion that your real reason is that you don't want to admit any possibility that you might have to come back in future. For you, that would be too horrible to contemplate. But I (and others) think you are absolutely crazy not to do it!

Right now you are prepared to put up with Australia rather than be separated from your family who live here. If that situation arises in the future and you don't get citizenship now, you may not be able to be with them. You may say you can come on a tourist visa, but what if your daughter needs you due to illness or family problems, and you are forced to abandon her because you can't stay longer than six months?

I'm Australian and I couldn't care less if you just want citizenship for insurance purposes - go for it.

Edited by Marisawright

We've discussed this before. I have a very strong suspicion that your real reason is that you don't want to admit any possibility that you might have to come back in future. For you, that would be too horrible to contemplate. But I (and others) think you are absolutely crazy not to do it!

Right now you are prepared to put up with Australia rather than be separated from your family who live here. If that situation arises in the future and you don't get citizenship now, you may not be able to be with them. You may say you can come on a tourist visa, but what if your daughter needs you due to illness or family problems, and you are forced to abandon her because you can't stay longer than six months?

I'm Australian and I couldn't care less if you just want citizenship for insurance purposes - go for it.

My wife and son were/are both British citizens.

I had a permanent settlement, uk visa.

But if we were out of the country for more than twelve months it would have evaporated.

Thus, even though i disliked living in the uk, and knew we were going to immigrate to australia,

I got british citizenship.

Just for insurance purposes.

And i dont give a rats arse if anyone thinks thats wrong, underhand, immoral or fattening.

I did it to give my family options in an unknown future.

But if we were out of the country for more than twelve months it would have evaporated.

Thus, even though i disliked living in the uk, and knew we were going to immigrate to australia,

And i dont give a rats arse if anyone thinks thats wrong, underhand, immoral or fattening.

Exactly the same for us. Futureproofing!

Not to get citizenship because you don't want to give up a Saturday to a ceremony is possibly the craziest thing I've read on this website!

I presume you are having a laugh EW, but not to get it when your daughter is a citizen has the potential to cause you many many regrets in the future. You might think that a low probability now, but even if it is a 500/1 shot surely it is worth taking a bit of time out to do it?

:smile:

Many layers of taking the piss here EW: out of us, out of Aus (the main one), out of yourself (cutting off your nose to spite your face)..........(delete as appropriate:wink:)

That's a bit harsh! :smile:

.......many years ago EW.........

.......I decided I wouldn't need something in the future,....ll

........why would I......I had no intention of returning there......then..!

........but now if I had kept it........life would be so much easier.....

.........yours is such a small thing.....ensuring a choice.....no sacrifice envolved

.........it has the ability to affect how life could be in the future....

.........never limit your choices if you can help it.....ime....

..........but at the end of the day....it is your choice if you do...you will live with it ....

...........may life always be joyful......whichever you decide...

.......many years ago EW.........

.......I decided I wouldn't need something in the future,....ll

........why would I......I had no intention of returning there......then..!

........but now if I had kept it........life would be so much easier.....

.........yours is such a small thing.....ensuring a choice.....no sacrifice envolved

.........it has the ability to affect how life could be in the future....

.........never limit your choices if you can help it.....ime....

..........but at the end of the day....it is your choice if you do...you will live with it ....

...........may life always be joyful......whichever you decide...

Actually I admire EW for his stance.

Citizenship is really about rights and responsibilities and shouldn't be entered into lightly.

If your heart isn't for a country then you shouldn't do it.

Citizenship is really about rights and responsibilities and shouldn't be entered into lightly.

Exactly, if you can't clutch a pie to your chest in the total absence of irony, you ain't fit to call yerself Strayan, and should FO back to where you came from

.........and often depending on your ties to that country.....

.........your attitude changes....

..........we can't.....see.....into the future....

..........but somewhere that looks after our children......our parents....

...........will often make us feel more aligned with the place....

............want to be more responsible for things that affect there.....

............and a country hold our heart for many reasons......which often change with life's challenges.....

.............it's not entering into something lightly.......

..............it's ensuring choices in the future.....

Very sensible and exactly the view EW should take, for the sake of his family.

It's not often that Parley and I agree on something but this is one of those times. I don't hate Australia, (despite what some people might think) but it's not my country and I don't identify with it in the way that so many British born Australians do. For me, citizenship is a bit like marriage. A person gets married because they identify another as their soulmate and make their commitment to them. Australia is not my soulmate and so taking out citizenship would feel like I was using the place just because it's convenient. That feels wrong to me.

I appreciate that I may end up regretting my decision in the future, but living here for nearly 8 years has often obliged me to put on a bit of an act for the benefit of others, and frankly, taking out citizenship is taking the act a bit too far. :smile: