Dual citizenship

Diane

Do you have dual citizenship?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have dual citizenship?

• Yes, I have dual citizenship
    • I will become a dual citizen when I can become and Australian citizen
    • I have renounced/will renounce my other citizenship when I take Australian citizenship
    • I am and will remain a citizen of one country only - whether Australian or other

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. This is a very serious subject, which the govt will spend millions of dollars on, will amount to nothing, and the lawyers will make a load of money keeping scumbags in the country.

Now you know why I don't really give a ****.

• 1 month later...
I heard they were going to make you choose one way or the other eventually!

You only have to choose one side or the other of the fence when you are British/Australian if you want to stand for Federal Government - it's written into the Australian constitution. Just like Abbott renounced his British citizenship....oh wait....he didn't...whoops!

I did briefly toy with the idea of getting Australian citizenship after being stung for the cost of an RRV when I went home last year. Plus, the queue at Melbourne Airport always seems to go down quicker for Australian passport holders than it does for other nationals. But upon reflection I'll not bother. If it was just a case of going online, typing in your details and taking a hit on the Visa card then I would, but attending a ceremony means either taking time off work or giving up a Saturday and I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the commitment involved. Besides, I'm planning to go home in a couple of years, so that would make having an Australian passport redundant. If I ever needed to visit Australia in the future then I could always come over on a tourist visa using my existing British passport.

I did briefly toy with the idea of getting Australian citizenship after being stung for the cost of an RRV when I went home last year. Plus, the queue at Melbourne Airport always seems to go down quicker for Australian passport holders than it does for other nationals. But upon reflection I'll not bother. If it was just a case of going online, typing in your details and taking a hit on the Visa card then I would, but attending a ceremony means either taking time off work or giving up a Saturday and I'm not sure the benefits outweigh the commitment involved. Besides, I'm planning to go home in a couple of years, so that would make having an Australian passport redundant. If I ever needed to visit Australia in the future then I could always come over on a tourist visa using my existing British passport.

Mate....maaaaaaate!

Have you consulted me on this?

Mate....maaaaaaate!

Have you consulted me on this?

Soz mate. We can discuss this over a few pints of Bishop's Finger ​in The Sherlock Holmes ​if you're in Melbourne over the weekend?

Yes - came to live in Australia with my family at age 17 in 1988 and it was my dad who persuaded me to take out Australian Citizenship (I was just wanting to go back home) but so glad I did as have been back and forward a few times and much easier with Australian/British passports - returning to Qld within next 8 moths with hubby and 5 children - all have dual nationality but only oldest born in Aus - only downside is the expense of having to get the citizenship by decent certificates and then all the passports (14 in all) but luckily managed to get it all done before they closed the Australian consulate in Edinburgh. Was on holiday last year in Australia and just a breeze walking through with no hold ups through Australian passports only. Also glad I did take it out as we would not have qualified for a visa if we were applying to go live there now so I feel very lucky and grateful to my dad - note to any strong minded 17 year olds out there please listen to what your father says.

It is "insurance". I went back to UK for 12 years. As citizen of OZ, no problem. In yr case, if you have 100 percent no intention of moving to OZ again, don't bother with Aussie citizenship but even one per cent uncertainty......?

And my other brother had hassles trying to get re-entry visa at short notice when my Mum died.

My UK passport has expired. Odd but I've no desire to renew it.

Soz mate. We can discuss this over a few pints of Bishop's Finger ​in The Sherlock Holmes ​if you're in Melbourne over the weekend?

Sherlock Holmes? How come I've not been invited there yet? Harpo and I are due for a love in, hopefully with Parley? I've actually contacted a lady from Melbourne on RSVP so have a second reason to go down there.

• 8 months later...

I thought I had dual citizenship but have just discovered that when I, an Australian took out British citizenship in 1999 my Aust citizenship was defaulted- despite getting a new Aus passport in 2007. This came to lightwhile applying for my husband to get a partner visa!

I thought I had dual citizenship but have just discovered that when I, an Australian took out British citizenship in 1999 my Aust citizenship was defaulted- despite getting a new Aus passport in 2007. This came to lightwhile applying for my husband to get a partner visa!

Can you get it back, as the law has changed now?

crazy not to get it................all the messing about some people go through and you can have it on a plate. I nearly did the same thing myself and I would of regretted not doing it.

crazy not to get it................all the messing about some people go through and you can have it on a plate. I nearly did the same thing myself and I would of regretted not doing it.

I have given consideration to securing Australian citizenship but elected not to as it felt dishonest in my case. I certainly wouldn't criticise anyone who took it out even if just for 'insurance' purposes. My partner and daughter are dual nationals though.