Dual citizenship

Diane

Do you have dual citizenship?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have dual citizenship?

• Yes, I have dual citizenship
    • I will become a dual citizen when I can become and Australian citizen
    • I have renounced/will renounce my other citizenship when I take Australian citizenship
    • I am and will remain a citizen of one country only - whether Australian or other

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[/b]

It's not often that Parley and I agree on something but this is one of those times. I don't hate Australia, (despite what some people might think) but it's not my country and I don't identify with it in the way that so many British born Australians do. For me, citizenship is a bit like marriage. A person gets married because they identify another as their soulmate and make their commitment to them. Australia is not my soulmate and so taking out citizenship would feel like I was using the place just because it's convenient. That feels wrong to me.

I appreciate that I may end up regretting my decision in the future, but living here for nearly 8 years has often obliged me to put on a bit of an act for the benefit of others, and frankly, taking out citizenship is taking the act a bit too far. :smile:

Are you married mate?

[/b]

It's not often that Parley and I agree on something but this is one of those times. I don't hate Australia, (despite what some people might think) but it's not my country and I don't identify with it in the way that so many British born Australians do. For me, citizenship is a bit like marriage. A person gets married because they identify another as their soulmate and make their commitment to them. Australia is not my soulmate and so taking out citizenship would feel like I was using the place just because it's convenient. That feels wrong to me.

I appreciate that I may end up regretting my decision in the future, but living here for nearly 8 years has often obliged me to put on a bit of an act for the benefit of others, and frankly, taking out citizenship is taking the act a bit too far. :smile:

Toughen up princess.

Youre not going to be doing it for you, you dont gel with the place.

Youre not going to be doing it for Australia, Australia doesnt give a **** about you.

But you would be doing it for your family, hopefully they do give a **** about you.

For your sake, i would hope it produces a piece of paper that slowly decays in a drawer and is never needed.

Otherwise we will be watching you agree with parley for the next thirty years. And noone wants that.

But you never know.......

[QUOTE=Harpodom;1936947339]Be honest EW, you just can't be arsed

I try and take a principled stance on something and this is where it lands me!

Toughen up princess.

Youre not going to be doing it for you, you dont gel with the place.

Youre not going to be doing it for Australia, Australia doesnt give a **** about you.

But you would be doing it for your family, hopefully they do give a **** about you.

For your sake, i would hope it produces a piece of paper that slowly decays in a drawer and is never needed.

Otherwise we will be watching you agree with parley for the next thirty years. And noone wants that.

But you never know.......

Well, when you put it so nicely, despite the absence of apostrophes, who am I to argue?

[/b]

'Principled stance' my arse!

Not everyone is capable of making the same journey that you've made Winston Smith....erm, I mean, Harpodo......

[QUOTE=Harpodom;1936947339]Be honest EW, you just can't be arsed

If there is a naughty corner in your house go and sit in it.

If there is a naughty corner in your house go and sit in it.

Been there since we landed in Australia! :biglaugh:

[/b]

That is exactly how my husband feels about the UK but he has seen sense and swallowed his pride for the ( potential) sake of his family.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok - problem! I am an Australian born and bred. I went to live in UK in 1973. I had 2 children in UK and registered them at birth as Australian citizens. They have dual nationality. In 1999 I applied for and was granted British citizenship - I was fed up of standing in a different queue to the rest of the family. Little did I know until I applied for a partner visa for my husband that because I willingly took up British citizenship in 1999, I had renounced my Australian citizenship. This is despite the fact that I have an Australian passport which was reissued in 2007.

Therefore I cannot sponsor my husband until my Australian citizenship is resumed! Ridiculous. If this had happened after 2002 there would be no problem.

Ok - problem! I am an Australian born and bred. I went to live in UK in 1973. I had 2 children in UK and registered them at birth as Australian citizens. They have dual nationality. In 1999 I applied for and was granted British citizenship - I was fed up of standing in a different queue to the rest of the family. Little did I know until I applied for a partner visa for my husband that because I willingly took up British citizenship in 1999, I had renounced my Australian citizenship. This is despite the fact that I have an Australian passport which was reissued in 2007.

Therefore I cannot sponsor my husband until my Australian citizenship is resumed! Ridiculous. If this had happened after 2002 there would be no problem.

It's a ridiculous situation, because I was British first, when I took Australian citizenship I had dual nationality, but if my wife, an Aussie had taken British citizenship at the same time, she'd have lost her Australian citizenship, and I would have had to sponsor her so we could move to Australia, and then she could have become naturalised and had dual citizenship :wacko:

Resuming it is easy enough https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/pathways-processes/resume

yes easy enough but............ it has to be sent by snail mail and it all takes time 2-4 months I'm told. We had to withdraw the application for partner visa for my husband and have to send in applic again.

Unnecessary bureaucracy

yes, you could have applied to have it resumed some years ago! They changed the rules back in 2002 or thereabouts and resumption of citizenship from around 2007 - so, did you, perhaps resume citizenship in 2007 given that you have held an Aus passport since then?

But I had no idea I was not an Australian citizen. I have always had an Australian passport. I reapplied in 2007 for a renewal and nothing was mentioned. I had no idea I wasn't Australian. I travelled 4 times last year to Australia on an Australian passport.

If I had realised I would certainly have applied for resumption. The whole thing came to light when I became a sponsor for my husband