WA enters recession

paul1977

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agree, it's a young, single mans game FIFO I reckon. It's been great for my son and a load of his mates. One is 26, owns his house already, bought a nice subaru sports car cash, rents a room out in his house. My son has done loads of travelling over the last 3 or 4 years and spent all his. He's changed jobs twice in the last 3 months and is waiting to start in a new one next week. He's 25 though now and is thinking, at last, about buying a place and renting a room out, like his mate. So he's going to a 4x1 swing but really good money. He's been on an average of about $130,000 a year for a year or 2 but he's only been doing one week on one off. 4x1 will be tough.

AUS 130 k ....whats that pick up after tax ....thats £65k gross .....

But that is just it. It is not, for most except young single people, good money. As a family it means only one can work. Then for the young singles, the majority - not all - are now in it bad. Many left school with no qualifications due to the attitude "I don't need them, I will drive a truck for big money in a mine". Only to find now, they are on a scrap heap aged in their 20's.

Granted, living away from home is never comfortable or much fun for the most part but how hideously out of sorts is the Australian economy if $135k isn't considered good money and insufficient to support a family.

Is that a clarion call that maybe the middle class welfare budget needs to be increased?:wink:

As for the young, I blame the parents :yes:

Definstely a young mans game. I lived in Perth for a few

months and

found it to be a two speed economy with prices geared towards mining salaries. For example, set of three peppers (capsicums) in WA $12, but in QLD $4 big saving. So I hope a recession gets some reality ch CLS with prices out west in general but does not hurt too many financially.

months and

found it to be a two speed economy with prices geared towards mining salaries. For example, set of three peppers (capsicums) in WA $12, but in QLD $4 big saving. So I hope a recession gets some reality ch CLS with prices out west in general but does not hurt too many financially.

Surely you jest, $12!!! It is possible to grow them from seed!

I recall when capsicum (peppers) increased some 50% plus in price and was abhorred at the time as buy them a lot. Those that will be most likely impacted will be those most leveraged of course. Borrowing in good times more than can comfortably afford to pay in lean times is a recipe for severe financial hardship, I'm afraid or worse.

I suppose with all the positive talk around at the time with regards WA's forever mining boom and growing salaries and industry spin, can hardly blame the punters for taking out loans they were led to believe would result in wealth creation.

Granted, living away from home is never comfortable or much fun for the most part but how hideously out of sorts is the Australian economy if $135k isn't considered good money and insufficient to support a family.

Is that a clarion call that maybe the middle class welfare budget needs to be increased?:wink:

As for the young, I blame the parents :yes:

Pit is only the same as two parents earning about $50k each. But, as I said, the issue for most miners is that the other parent can't work.

Surely you jest, $12!!! It is possible to grow them from seed!

You have never tried to grow veg in WA?

we are in a new build house, so just getting the garden started. This is what we have learned by speaking to a lot of experts over the last couple of months. These include some of the best gardeners in the country.

WA has been declared by the UN as having the worst soil in the world.

A retic costs about $1000 but can't be used for a big chunk of the year and when it can, only two days a week.

The soil - which is just sand really, needs clay and compost adding to get it to support plants. Each will cost about $1000.

It it then needs to be treated regularly with a wetting agent as the natural sand is hydrophobic.

Once all all that is done, the summer sun is so harsh it would kill off most veg that isn't under shade during the peak summer sun times.

Even if if you then go to all the hassle of putting up shade every day and taking it down every day - the plants still need some sun - the water bill is huge.

we are in a new build house, so just getting the garden started. This is what we have learned by speaking to a lot of experts over the last couple of months. These include some of the best gardeners in the country.

A retic costs about $1000 but can't be used for a big chunk of the year and when it can, only two days a week.

The soil - which is just sand really, needs clay and compost adding to get it to support plants. Each will cost about $1000.

It it then needs to be treated regularly with a wetting agent as the natural sand is hydrophobic.

Once all all that is done, the summer sun is so harsh it would kill off most veg that isn't under shade during the peak summer sun times.

Even if if you then go to all the hassle of putting up shade every day and taking it down every day - the plants still need some sun - the water bill is huge.

Or buy some planters from Bunnings...

Yes, but not everybody has a new build. I remember back when I had my villa in yokine I had some potatoes that had sprouted. I dug a hole in the garden just for fun and planted them. A year later I dug it over and had hundreds of new potatoes. Peppers grow in Italy. Next time you have one, plant the seeds and see what happens just for fun.

Growing your own vegetables in the garden can be a great joy. It gives you something interesting and productive to do, it saves money and it means you know what you are eating rather then buying chemical laden produce from the local supermarket.

I live in Western Australia which, for those who have not been here, is a rather large sand pit with some of the most degraded and nutrient poor soils in the world. Even so I have managed to grow all sorts of vegetables and have a garden that over the course of a year will more than pay for itself.

All my vegetables have been grown in sandy soil. I have done what I can to improve the soil by adding kitchen scraps and some compost but I don't want to fork out hundreds of dollars just to get the soil looking like it does on the TV gardening shows.

I use a limited amount of NPK fertilizer, some soil wetting agent (a real necessity in W.A.) and where possible home made and bio-organic pest control methods. I am not a crazy 100% organic gardener but I don't want to end up eating all sorts of chemicals with my veggies so the use of such things is kept to a minimum.

http://wanowandthen.com.au/garden/index.html

Pit is only the same as two parents earning about $50k each. But, as I said, the issue for most miners is that the other parent can't work.

Firstly there are no childcare costs involved and secondly, if one parent stays at home, the tax system can be rorted by the re-allocation of allowances to the non-working partner thus reducing the payable tax. :-)

Earning $135k+ is not all doom and gloom ;)

Firstly there are no childcare costs involved and secondly, if one parent stays at home, the tax system can be rorted by the re-allocation of allowances to the non-working partner thus reducing the payable tax. :-)

I have not seen anything about re-allocation of a non-working partners allowance despite searching. Do you have a link? Thanks.

I have not seen anything about re-allocation of a non-working partners allowance despite searching. Do you have a link? Thanks.

I cant find anything either. So le petit roi, can you tell us how this is done?

You cant use your partners allowance. If you work on an ABN you could find a rort but not as an employee. I earn around that bracket but my wife does not work as we have young kids and another on the way. Currently we get Family tax part B which gives us a small amount per fortnight but this stops after June as the limit drops below 100K. By the time I pay tax my take home is not that great and as others have stated 2 low earners would be better off than 1 decent earner whose partner stays at home to look after children and does not get welfare from the state for child care or famliy tax benefit.

no, it's not doom and gloom to earn $135k. But nor is it a high salary. It is pretty close to the minimum a family can afford to earn here. Just take buying a house as an example.

The average house house price is $450k here in Perth. So, a 10% deposit means a mortgage requirement of $405k. You need to be earning no less than one third of a mortgage total. So, 405/3 = 135.

You can not use your partners ABN - you might find a rort if you can work under an ABN. Most can not work under an ABN and would be damned stupid to anyway - the ato have a habit of catching up.

I don't accept that.

I bet many families buy a $450K home earning less than $135K salary.

The rule you may be thinking of is that your loan repayments should be no more than a third of your salary.

A median of $450K is actually pretty low for house prices.

If you had a $400K mortgage at 4.5% that is only $18000 per year in interest.

Easily serviced with a salary of $135K.

I'm not saying you are rich on $135K if you are paying a mortgage but $135K is probably in the top 20% of salaries that people earn.

If you had a $400K mortgage at 4.5% that is only $18000 per year in interest.

Easily serviced with a salary of $135K.

I'm not saying you are rich on $135K if you are paying a mortgage but $135K is probably in the top 20% of salaries that people earn.

"If" someone is daft enough to take an interest only mortgage. Amazes me that they are still popular given the rest of the world learnt that lesson many years ago.

Most banks, will not lend if the amount to be borrowed is more than 3x salary - went through all that process last year.

But that is just it. It is not, for most except young single people, good money. As a family it means only one can work. Then for the young singles, the majority - not all - are now in it bad. Many left school with no qualifications due to the attitude "I don't need them, I will drive a truck for big money in a mine". Only to find now, they are on a scrap heap aged in their 20's.

They aren't on the scrap heap in their 20's VS. They are still young enough to decide to change career and do something else with the added advantage of having a few years of getting good money with no qualifications. Having a bit of mining experience is a qualification in it's own right too. Nothing to say minings not going to pick up again and they will be in demand again.

I know the hourly rate isn't that fantastic but you aren't factoring in the free digs, food, gym, pool and the lack of ability to spend while you're on site. Helps to save.

I thought about making the most of my fitting apprenticeship when I was in my early 20's and the only place I could find that was paying great money was working for ARAMCO in the Middle East or the other option seemed to be the oil sands in Canada. I had friends who tried them and had a chat with them and never fancied it. I was enjoying my time too much at home. The money was great though. If I was my sons age here I would be doing FIFO.

AUS 130 k ....whats that pick up after tax ....thats £65k gross .....

What are you saying bunbury? It's not good money? 65K pounds gross would be pretty good wouldn't it?

No point converting either, two different economies and belive me $130K is good money for an early 20 year old for working one week on one off. The company were really good too and let him have 3 months to go travelling with a job to come back to. He certainly saved enough to do that and had some great times.:cool:

months and

They can be $12 one week and 3 for $2 the week after. Just the way it is. Just had a look on-line and at the moment green peppers are $5.98 a kilo and red peppers $9.98. When things are fresh and they're in season they are cheap.

I'm hearing you VS. Hate gardening anyway and the stuff in the supermarkets is cheap enough to not bother even trying. Peppers a bit expensive one week, find another vegetable that's in season and cheap, plenty of choice.:rolleyes:

I remember when bananas went really expensive due to some cyclone up North. They were going brown in the shops as no one was buying. There's plenty of other fruit, no need to be silly. Eventually they get cheap again.

Yes, but not everybody has a new build. I remember back when I had my villa in yokine I had some potatoes that had sprouted. I dug a hole in the garden just for fun and planted them. A year later I dug it over and had hundreds of new potatoes. Peppers grow in Italy. Next time you have one, plant the seeds and see what happens just for fun.

We have friends in Applecross who have a very mature garden and they like gardening. They grow tons of stuff. Fruit, veg, galore. They give us stuff as it's going rotten in their garden. A lot of the year work colleagues, who must like gardening, bring things in to work free. Baskets full of things, lemons and oranges seem popular, mangoes sometimes. Me, I prefer my time down the beach, not gardening. I'll gladly nip over the local IGA and pay whatever. I don't even look at the price.:cool:

Archived