WA enters recession

paul1977

It's not at all the same though here is it paul. We would go 12 miles to Sheffield for stag does quite often and the accent was totally different. Ended up in a few blues and walking the streets till the bus came at 2:00am 'cos the Yorkshire bouncers would kick us out the nightclub. Go the other ways the same distance and Nottingham one way, Derby the other, all with different accents and associated aggro.

There's hardly any difference in accents from one side of Aus to the other and people are so far apart that Perth and Mandurah are considered close. I think there may be a few more FIFO workers down Mandurah way. Must be a decent place to live when you're FIFO.

You must be joking that there is not a difference in accents from one side of Australia to the other - I find a massive difference in the accents between states.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must agree though anyone who is considering coming over with no job & children and only start up costs should consider taking a step back for now. Should of said in earlier posts I have family there they went with £250000 now with there property wealth (6) worth in millions but that will change in a recession.

We did exactly that in 92 with unemployment at something like 13%, no jobs to come to, never been before, didn't know anyone, interest rates high and we never looked back. Best thing we ever did.

Last time I checked house prices are still increasing.

You must be joking that there is not a difference in accents from one side of Australia to the other - I find a massive difference in the accents between states.

There is a slight difference, I can pick people from the Eastern States and specially Queensland but it's nothing like the UK. You wouldn't be able to pick people from Mandurah in Perth for example. I could pick people who were from a village 2 Miles down the road. The accents around where I was brought up came from the pits apparently. Each pit had a different accent. It's blended in a lot more now.

Like I said mate, depends which web site/news site you look at. Even the economists can't agree whether we are in a recession or not. What I'm saying is I'm not seeing anything affected much yet.

I am with the vacant office buildings in West Perth. There does seem to be more special lunch meal deals of recent as well. I recall people spoke similar when London was having a hard time three decades back. Back then while Kensington was fine the East End wasn't as fortunate. All too many only reflect personal circumstances. Talking with tradespeople over recent weeks a few are admitting to a slowdown but still steady. A few admitted to expecting a downturn though in the future. Equally some said they've plenty on at the moment and don't expect that to change.

Basically we live in a world that see few beyond their immediate personal circumstances, voiced with elegance by both the PM and Treasurer if any further prove was need.

We did exactly that in 92 with unemployment at something like 13%, no jobs to come to, never been before, didn't know anyone, interest rates high and we never looked back. Best thing we ever did.

Not forgetting cheap house prices and a hardly long lasting recession. Keating's the recession we had to have.

That is what I am saying if house prices are still increasing & you move with the intention of buying at a start of a recession its like buying into the stock market while its at its hight knowing the only way is down. My brother inlaw has never looked back best move he ever made.

Not forgetting cheap house prices and a hardly long lasting recession. Keating's the recession we had to have.

Cheap house prices? Compared to England at the time they might have been but we rented for a year and then paid $135,000 for a 4x2. We were on nowhere near the salaries we are on now though so were still worried whether we could afford it. Took us ages to save up for a deposit.

If we had stayed in the UK I think we would have been buying a property in the same price bracket so no cheaper than there really. Bit more house for the money I suppose, probably would have got a 3 bed semi near Stockport or a dog kennel in London. The recession went on quite long enough thank you. We both got jobs in the depths of it though. You have to have confidence that you are going to succeed and not get down too early.

Cheap house prices? Compared to England at the time they might have been but we rented for a year and then paid $135,000 for a 4x2. We were on nowhere near the salaries we are on now though so were still worried whether we could afford it. Took us ages to save up for a deposit.

If we had stayed in the UK I think we would have been buying a property in the same price bracket so no cheaper than there really. Bit more house for the money I suppose, probably would have got a 3 bed semi near Stockport or a dog kennel in London. The recession went on quite long enough thank you. We both got jobs in the depths of it though. You have to have confidence that you are going to succeed and not get down too early.

In 2000 I could have purchased loads of bungalows for $175,000 which was the going price in Victoria Park. Further out far cheaper. Compared to what I was used to un UK far, far cheaper. Multiples then x average wage were far more affordable in Australia then than now. Doubly more difficult now and far more so in Sydney.

That is what I am saying if house prices are still increasing & you move with the intention of buying at a start of a recession its like buying into the stock market while its at its hight knowing the only way is down. My brother inlaw has never looked back best move he ever made.

Housing is very speculative and shouldn't be so.

In 2000 I could have purchased loads of bungalows for $175,000 which was the going price in Victoria Park. Further out far cheaper. Compared to what I was used to un UK far, far cheaper. Multiples then x average wage were far more affordable in Australia then than now. Doubly more difficult now and far more so in Sydney.

You've got to compare apples with apples flag. I mentioned that the house we bought here was probably about the same price a 3 bed in Stockport and a dog kennel in London. So it all depends what areas you compare. It's not good saying Perth house prices were a lot cheaper than the UK. I'm sure you could have got a cheap place in Vic Park but you would have struggled in Cottesloe, City Beach.

You've got to compare apples with apples flag. I mentioned that the house we bought here was probably about the same price a 3 bed in Stockport and a dog kennel in London. So it all depends what areas you compare. It's not good saying Perth house prices were a lot cheaper than the UK. I'm sure you could have got a cheap place in Vic Park but you would have struggled in Cottesloe, City Beach.

No I would struggle today in Victoria Park to pay the outrageous prices asked. I would never have been able to afford Cottesloe without a hefty mortgage. A place I find over rated at the price anyway.

I am aware and family did purchase several houses to rent in different locations within England. Fleetwood, Sheffield, for examples for next to nothing and rented them out to DHSS. Money for jam outside of a few houses being thrashed.

Really not sure of your point. My point being I could have easily purchased a few houses in numerous close to city suburbs back in 95 to 00 and am unable to purchase one today without a hefty mortgage.

What are you saying bunbury? It's not good money? 65K pounds gross would be pretty good wouldn't it?

No point converting either, two different economies and belive me $130K is good money for an early 20 year old for working one week on one off. The company were really good too and let him have 3 months to go travelling with a job to come back to. He certainly saved enough to do that and had some great times.:cool:

Yes ,it is very good ,the only issue I have is some people in australia have this issue with telling all and sundry how much they earn ....i even had someone send me a photo of their wage slip once ...i said nothing

The days of the big money are over for many of us ..

Welcome to the global economy ...governments run by big business for big business.

Iam sure oz will be out of the dip quickly ..

But the days of a young lad buing ,and paying off the house in 5 years will soon ne a thing of the past ..

The dream never happened in the u.k ,and is now dead in the u.s.....the "American dream "is dead,some economists are admitting iit ....

Oz,Canada and n.z were the last places the dream could be achieved.

This is an open question ...how is oz dealing with the temporary work visa set up ?...

Because I think the days of big bucks per hour ...rdos

..and loads of holiday will be over

Big business imports loads of workers ,and then drives wages and conditions through the floor

I don't take any pleasure in what I ser going on ...in oz ..or here in the u.k ....if you could only see what's happening on the front line here in England .

No difference between states. I wonder where you get that from. I am yet to met someone that can say just which state the person is from.

There are subtle differences between states, but you would need to get out of the country to notice, and it helps to be Australian. Most English struggle to notice a kiwi.

Quick guide

Perth, more English sounding

Melbourne sounds stupid, slow drawl

Queensland nasal

Sydney traditional accent

There are subtle differences between states, but you would need to get out of the country to notice, and it helps to be Australian. Most English struggle to notice a kiwi.

Quick guide

Perth, more English sounding

Melbourne sounds stupid, slow drawl

Queensland nasal

Sydney traditional accent

Been here 5 years now can quite comfortably tell the difference between a kiwi and a Ozzy also somebody from Queensland and Sydney. Yes there are slight differences in the accents but nothing compared to the UK

you don't have to travel far in the UK to notice a very distinctive accent change , not sure what this has to do with WA entering a recession tho

Edited by Rallyman