IELTS v.s Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) | My personal findings

supercow

I used the mock tests and the study resources from PTE. Had a look at the scoring criteria a few weeks before, and posts liked this, but did just a few nights of revision before the test. Got 90 overall! Didn't manage to complete both tests as I fell asleep and my laptop didn't pick up the sound very well, but it gave a really good run through of everything so was money well spent.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JH_2017 said:

Hi Supercow,

2 years later and I find your post very helpful. However, I am still undecided which one to go for, as I think I have skills in both. So, may I ask how long you took to prepare for your PTE test? I need to be realistic on time frame , but am a bit limited with test dates around, so in the end which one I goes for might be determined by which date works best for me.

Also, the basic book you bought  [I think I saw somewhere in the threads - would you say that is enough for a quick turn around time? I am wondering whether the marked mock tests packages is worth it...

Anyway, I guess you are so relieved it is over.....and not writing this post!

Thanks!

Hey JH, it sure is a relief being on this side of the fence!

2 years ... wow, it feels like a different person wrote that, and in many respects that is the case!

I've never been the most thorough student, and it also applied to my PTE preparation, it's a character flaw of mine :P I "knew" my English ability is excellent, therefore I didn't feel the need to do any studying in the strictest sense of the word. I read through the question types' explanation and  did the mock tests twice, just so that I understand the question format and what I could expect to happen in the exam. I also re familiarised myself with the general "template" I'd use for the long form essay (Introduction / supporting and secondary point / elaboration / wind down / outtro & conclusion).

Thanks

12 hours ago, supercow said:

Hey JH, it sure is a relief being on this side of the fence!

2 years ... wow, it feels like a different person wrote that, and in many respects that is the case!

I've never been the most thorough student, and it also applied to my PTE preparation, it's a character flaw of mine :P I "knew" my English ability is excellent, therefore I didn't feel the need to do any studying in the strictest sense of the word. I read through the question types' explanation and  did the mock tests twice, just so that I understand the question format and what I could expect to happen in the exam. I also re familiarised myself with the general "template" I'd use for the long form essay (Introduction / supporting and secondary point / elaboration / wind down / outtro & conclusion).

Thanks Supercow.

Would you say it was all worth it and are you now happily living in Oz?!

• 3 weeks later...

I recognize IELTS as an investment just like any other language tests. The moment I decided to take the exam, it was clear to me that it is a form of investment. It requires at least PHP8, 900 fee to take it. As part of my career-building and vision for 2015-2020, I’ve decided to pursue a graduate study abroad or even work if opportunity arises. Unquestionably, IELTS is a general requirement so I find it very essential.

• Like 1

On 04/08/2017 at 20:38, JH_2017 said:

Thanks

Thanks Supercow.

Would you say it was all worth it and are you now happily living in Oz?!

Absolutely love it - it was the right decision for me :) 

Did a little video for my folks ... already over a year ago! It's not for everyone, but it suits me to the bone

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Brisbane PTE

The PTE BOSS is the place which is well designed to meet the end users requirement to achieve high score in the PTE exam. It’s a very smooth journey to start as a beginner or as someone who has unable to achieve their desired score in the previous attempts . 

These programs are mainly focused on serious candidates who aspires to crack PTE with dedication. We immensely support you throughout the process till you get your score . http://thepteboss.com.au/brisbane-pte-study-centre.html

Edited by Brisbane PTE
wrong content

Guest Brisbane PTE

At thepteboss, you don’t have to enroll for the whole course. To smoothen your journey in these areas we take individuals classes for all speaking sections , writing sections, reading sections and listening sections. You can enroll to the sections which you have troubles with . As the tutorial is both online and classroom to support your need . 

Call us today attend a free seminar , than it’s too late.

http://thepteboss.com.au/pte-coaching-in-gold-coast.html

Edited by Brisbane PTE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone completed the online Pearson mock tests? Do you think they're representative of the test on the day? I just scored 90 across the board in the one I just took which makes me suspicious as I swear I sucked at a few of the speaking ones... I did get 73 in pronunciation which not sure what that was based off of. Shame I can't get a breakdown of my answers. 

• 1 month later...

I sat the IELTS very recently and came out with ok scores, however, would like to try again for higher scores. Does anyone know whether new test results will invalidate my initial test results? Or could I use either result for my visa application?

You can sit the test as many times as you like, no result "invalidates another", they aren't submitted anywhere unless you tick that they want to be, and all you need to do is submit the test result that meets the requirements you are trying to meet. 

Good luck! :)

• 1 month later...
H,
I am newbie to this site.
I am looking for some prep materials for PTE academic.
Any kind of study materials like books, links, etc. would be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,
Himanshu
up to you but have you looked into the pearson test its computer based and you can get loads of practice tests and tutorials on you tube .i took 13 pte tests and kept missing out by half a point i then took the pearson test and passed 2nd time so much easier [emoji6]

Hello everyone,

I have recently received an email from info@ptezone.com.au stating that they will provide valuable material from previous tests as well as they provide questions relating to the future tests as well. They are assuring that I can see almost 70% of those questions in the exam. Can we believe this? they are charging an amount of 80AUD

On ‎29‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 02:39, Steve deighton said:

up to you but have you looked into the pearson test its computer based and you can get loads of practice tests and tutorials on you tube .i took 13 pte tests and kept missing out by half a point i then took the pearson test and passed 2nd time so much easier emoji6.png

That makes no sense Steve. PTE and Pearson Test (of English) are one and the same thing. There are five different tests you can take. The alternatives to PTE are IELTS, OET, TOEFL iBT and CAE.

5 minutes ago, Ken said:

That makes no sense Steve. PTE and Pearson Test (of English) are one and the same thing. There are five different tests you can take. The alternatives to PTE are IELTS, OET, TOEFL iBT and CAE.

I am guessing he meant IELTS as you also can't fail PTE by half a point, that's an IELTS thing.

7 minutes ago, Ken said:

7 minutes ago, Ken said:

And it must have cost you a fortune!! But PTE & Pearson are Deffo one of the same thing as ken says

1 hour ago, Krishna115 said:

Hello everyone,

I have recently received an email from info@ptezone.com.au stating that they will provide valuable material from previous tests as well as they provide questions relating to the future tests as well. They are assuring that I can see almost 70% of those questions in the exam. Can we believe this? they are charging an amount of 80AUD

Did you google ptezone? I don't see them as a company, and their website appears to be nothing, but there is a blog post from someone blogging at that "ptezone" and they didn't appear to use the resources they are selling you. I suggest you do some research before spending your money. 

• 5 weeks later...
My Wife sat the PTE test yesterday and the results are in already.
This thread helped us no end as did a last minute private message from a very helpful member who shared some resources that helped them.
Her scores are ...  thats a pass right?
image.png.093c9d82225efb045e6b633602b287d0.png

Hi Leigh
Would you mind sharing the resources with me? My partner is sitting the PTE test in 2 weeks time [emoji4]
Congrats on the score too!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kirstyj said:

You only need to do the English test if you need extra points, it does not matter if you have a British passport or not 

No, it does matter. If you don't have a British passport (or a US, Canadian, Irish or New Zealand passport) you need to do the English test even if you don't need extra points. You need to score a 6 in every section to be eligible to apply. A 7 in every section gets you extra points. An 8 in every section even more points. The right passport is equivalent to a 6 in every section. [Scores quoted are the IELTS scales PTE and all the other tests each have their own scales]

The government website only refers to "a passport issued by the United Kingdom" which could be taken to mean that you don't have to be a British Citizen and so a British National would be treated the same - but I'm not certain whether that is what they mean or not. Hopefully someone with personal experience of this will be able to help.

Edited by Ken
  • Like 1