IELTS v.s Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) | My personal findings

supercow

1 hour ago, shirani2001 said:

First of all, everyone aims for 65+ or 79+ or 90 to get 10 or 20 or 30 points respectively while applying PR.

Nevertheless, if you want to score 65+ in all sections, a minimum of 3 weeks’ extensive practice with the right techniques is mandatory (Assuming 2 hours/day). A complete month or 5 weeks of hard work with the right approach is advisable if one aims for 79+. Finally, If you are looking for 90 in all, You need to give 4 hours each for complete 2 months.

I would also suggest my friends to not to practice blindly that does not help them crack PTE. Practicing with the right tips and tricks and use right mock tests platform from   necessary to score above 65 and 79.

Please everyone disreagrd the above post it is nonsense...

Firstly there is no such thing as 30 points for getting 90 in PTE - the maximum is 20 points no matter what you score

Secondly I know many many people who have gotten over 79 (including straight 90s) with no more than an hour or so familiarising themselves with the test format.

The likelihood of passing with the mark you want has less to do with the practice you put in more to do with the level of English you actually have.

Please don;t waste your money on the site above, if they don't even know that the maximum is 20 points not 30 then how can you trust them with any of your money or time

Just now, Ausvisitor said:

Please everyone disreagrd the above post it is nonsense...

Firstly there is no such thing as 30 points for getting 90 in PTE - the maximum is 20 points no matter what you score

Secondly I know many many people who have gotten over 79 (including straight 90s) with no more than an hour or so familiarising themselves with the test format.

The likelihood of passing with the mark you want has less to do with the practice you put in more to do with the level of English you actually have.

Please don;t waste your money on the site above, if they don't even know that the maximum is 20 points not 30 then how can you trust them with any of your money or time

Agreed, particularly for native English speakers. 

For free preparation materials, have a look at " E2 PTE academic " on youtube (or indeed loads of other PTE youtube sites). it has all the tips you need for free. You can pay for some kind of premium service, but to be honest I found the free stuff so good I think the majority of people would be fine with that.

If you aren't a particularly confident person (like me), I would recommend having a crack at the official (paid for) practice test, a couple of weeks in advance, which is scored in the same way as the official test and can let you know where to improve.

Otherwise, know the test format, and have a plan for each type of question - nothing too detailed but a general framework for answering the different question types.

I'm someone who is educated to degree level in engineering, but got B / C grades for English language and literature in GCSE. Scored 90s in all categories on both practice and real test.

Oh, and I'm quite scouse, and didn't put on a false BBC newsreader accent - so the test didn't penalise for that!

• Like 1

hi guys,

need some advise, I just feel more comfortable with ielts, so thought I'll have another go at it. I have done the Academic IELTS over 5 times over the years for university and so on, with my overall score always being 8.5. I always got above 8.5 for both reading and listening, with my speaking being between 7.5-8.5 and writing 7-7.5( think I got 8 once) 

I did the academic IELTS in September and got L-9 R-8.5 S-8.5 W-7, so my question is should I prepare well and give it another go with academic IELTS since I'm so used to it? or do the general IELTS? is it easier? as in easier to score? The reason I prefer to stick to ielts is that i'm so used to it, I'm quite apprehensive to even switch to General Ielts lol. What would you guys suggest?

4 minutes ago, DukeNinja said:

Have you looked at ieltsliz.com or even udemy? The writing part needs to follow a set format in order to score high marks. Provided you have a good grasp of the marking criteria, you should be able to better yourself.

HTH

That’s what I keep on telling myself, but end up there with less prep, is it possible to go from 7 to 8? Or should I just try and do pte? 

1 hour ago, DukeNinja said:

Better the devil you know, if it was up to me.

Prepare adequately, and pay to get your work marked if necessary. Once you're scoring what you need, book your assessment.

I have a different view here, the poster has done the test many times based on what they've said and nver (or maybe once) got the needed 8 in WRITING.

I'd give PTE a run (after a little familiarisation with the question types online) and see how they did in that if I was them

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello

just thought I’d share my opinion as I have sat both exams. I wasn’t able to score top marks on IELTS, but got 90 across the board for PTE. I think there both difficult but I think with the PTE as long as you know the style of the exam, you can pass but I would highly recommend watching YouTube videos and also purchasing a marked mock exam.